• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.
  6. We are no longer allowing posts or threads that deny the existence of Covid-19. Members have lost loved ones to this virus and are grieving. As a Christian site, we do not need to add to the pain of the loss by allowing posts that deny the existence of the virus that killed their loved one. Future post denying the Covid-19 existence, calling it a hoax, will be addressed via the warning system.

Anglicans Only: African Anglicanism?

Discussion in 'Congregation-specific Ethics' started by kiwimac, Mar 14, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kiwimac

kiwimac Bishop of the See of Aotearoa ROCCNZ;Theologian Supporter

+1,379
    New Zealand
    Utrecht
    Married
    AU-Greens
    From a Stephen Bates column in Church of England Newspaper, as reprinted in ThinkingAnglicans website:

Two examples: last week Archbishop Akinola waded into the inter-religious violence in Nigeria, threatening Muslims that they did not have a monopoly of violence. Shortly afterwards Christian mobs in Onitsha started hacking people to death with machetes.
    Our second example, the Most Rev. Bernard Malango recently absolved without trial, Bishop Nolbert Kunonga of Harare. The charges include incitement to murder, intimidation....
    If Rowan Williams bans Gene Robinson but extends invitations to men such as Akinola, Malango and Kunonga, Anglicanism will be spiritually dead.

Source: http://www.thinkinganglicans.org.uk/archives/001585.html

Kiwimac

We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. gtsecc

gtsecc Aspirant

+255
    Anglican
    More proof the Roman Catholics and Eastern Orthodox are who they say they are. Are going to fix this ship, or abandon it?

3. karen freeinchristman

karen freeinchristman More of You and less of me, Lord! Supporter

+444
    Anglican
    Married
    US-Democrat
    God is in control; he's at the wheel. If this ship is broke, he'll fix it. I'm not for abandonment.

4. Simon_Templar

Simon_Templar Not all who wander are lost

+998
    Catholic
    Single
    ++ Gene Robinson doesn't support violence against people only to those who don't consider the unborn to be people.

Also, being a student of history, I'm aware that the media as often as not, especially in the case of African politics, has routinely construed the one side of an issue to be ruthless butchers and the other side to be "the good guys" when in actual fact the situation was totaly reversed.

So, suffice it to say I'm somewhat hesitant to take Stephen Bates' word for it.

5. Fish and Bread

Fish and Bread Dona nobis pacem

+2,345
    Christian
    Single
    US-Democrat
    Those churches have never had an troubles? There was a Pope who held orgies with prostitutes in St. Peter's Basilica. There were rumors of an Eastern Orthodox bishop who supported Slobadon Milosevich's regime in Serbia openly. I could cite many more examples of poor conduct by bishops in those churches. Now, that's not to say that their claims to be the one true church are, but rather simply that conduct of their bishops versus Anglican bishops does not prove the case. One would have to look at other factors. The leaders of almost all churches and denominations have at one time or another acted in reprehensible ways, because they're human beings, and human beings sin.

6. Aymn27

Aymn27 Radical Reformationist

+162
    Anabaptist
    Married
    US-Republican
    Oh boy..here we ago again..attack the black hetero bishops!

7. kiwimac

+1,379
    New Zealand
    Utrecht
    Married
    AU-Greens
    Aymn27,

Perhaps you'd like to address the issues raised? Can you prove falsity? Otherwise your comment is as useful as teats on a bull.

8. PaladinValer

PaladinValer Traditional Orthodox Anglican

+1,109
    Anglican
    Single
    US-Others
    Like how much the ECUSA and ACoC is attacked?

9. Mysterium_Fidei

Mysterium_Fidei Romanist

+99
    Catholic
    Single
    Liberal Anglican propoganda -- not saying conservatives don't have theirs, or that this isn't factual, but the article has a very "beat-back-the-self-righteous-conservatives" attitude.

10. kiwimac

+1,379
    New Zealand
    Utrecht
    Married
    AU-Greens
    As evidence of ++Akinola's comments re violence in Nigeria.

Source" http://titusonenine.classicalanglican.net/?p=11515

You might also be interested in the following

Source: [URL="http://makeashorterlink.com/?...ttp://makeashorterlink.com/?J4E552CCC[/COLOR]
    [/url]

11. kiwimac

+1,379
    New Zealand
    Utrecht
    Married
    AU-Greens
    As evidence of ++Akinola's comments re violence in Nigeria.

Source" http://titusonenine.classicalanglican.net/?p=11515

You might also be interested in the following

Source: http://makeashorterlink.com/?J4E552CCC

12. kiwimac

+1,379
    New Zealand
    Utrecht
    Married
    AU-Greens
  13. Inside Edge

Inside Edge Senior Member

+80
    Anglican
    Married
    I nominate this statement as one of the most truly pathetic statements I have ever read on these forums.

14. Fish and Bread

Fish and Bread Dona nobis pacem

+2,345
    Christian
    Single
    US-Democrat
    So, I was wondering, when do we get threads about Canadian Catholicism and Lithuania Lutheranism? ;)

15. higgs2

higgs2 not a nutter

+464
    Anglican
    Private
    Belgian Baptists, too.

16. Aymn27

Aymn27 Radical Reformationist

+162
    Anabaptist
    Married
    US-Republican
    hehe..indeed..much like that of Ankinola contributing to the deaths of homosexual Nigerians, and now this glorious thread...:sigh: ...shock value does have merit..

17. Timothy

Timothy Mad Anglican geek at large

+352
    Anglican
    Single
    UK-Liberal-Democrats
    What a beautiful example of media spin. It's almost, but maybe not quite as good as some of the "conservative" attacks on Gene Robinson, since this one does have at least some factual basis. Remember, folks, there are always TWO sides to any story. The media wants good stories which sell newspapers. Which on BOTH sides is not necessarily the truth. Maybe having spent my life with my father (ex-BBC radio) has turned me cynical, I dunno...

Timothy

18. Timothy

Timothy Mad Anglican geek at large

+352
    Anglican
    Single
    UK-Liberal-Democrats
    What a beautiful example of media spin. It's almost, but maybe not quite as good as some of the "conservative" attacks on Gene Robinson, since this one does have at least some factual basis. Remember, folks, there are always TWO sides to any story. The media wants good stories which sell newspapers. Which on BOTH sides is not necessarily the truth. Maybe having spent my life with my father (ex-BBC radio) has turned me cynical, I dunno...

Timothy

19. Wiffey

Wiffey He is my refuge and my fortress...

+250
    Anglican
    Married
    Whether one agrees or disagrees with some of the social positions coming from the Bishops in question, we cannot turn a blind eye to the issues of corruption, intimidation, and incitement to violence. To sweep such things under the rug in the name of supporting an agenda is monstrous.

To point out abuses is not tantamount to a lack of support for the developing world. Corruption and cronyism may be endemic, but these problems help keep the majority of the population in poverty and vulnerable to violence.

20. gtsecc

gtsecc Aspirant

+255
    Anglican
    Absolutely!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.