Country
New Zealand
Faith
Utrecht
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Greens
From a Stephen Bates column in Church of England Newspaper, as reprinted in ThinkingAnglicans website:

Two examples: last week Archbishop Akinola waded into the inter-religious violence in Nigeria, threatening Muslims that they did not have a monopoly of violence. Shortly afterwards Christian mobs in Onitsha started hacking people to death with machetes.
Our second example, the Most Rev. Bernard Malango recently absolved without trial, Bishop Nolbert Kunonga of Harare. The charges include incitement to murder, intimidation....
If Rowan Williams bans Gene Robinson but extends invitations to men such as Akinola, Malango and Kunonga, Anglicanism will be spiritually dead.

Source: http://www.thinkinganglicans.org.uk/archives/001585.html

Kiwimac

karen freeinchristman

More of You and less of me, Lord!
Site Supporter
Aug 18, 2004
North west of England
✟62,407.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
gtsecc said:
More proof the Roman Catholics and Eastern Orthodox are who they say they are. Are going to fix this ship, or abandon it?

God is in control; he's at the wheel. If this ship is broke, he'll fix it. I'm not for abandonment.

Upvote 0

Simon_Templar

Not all who wander are lost
Jun 29, 2004
Visit site
✟34,622.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
++ Gene Robinson doesn't support violence against people only to those who don't consider the unborn to be people.

Also, being a student of history, I'm aware that the media as often as not, especially in the case of African politics, has routinely construed the one side of an issue to be ruthless butchers and the other side to be "the good guys" when in actual fact the situation was totaly reversed.

So, suffice it to say I'm somewhat hesitant to take Stephen Bates' word for it.

Upvote 0

Fish and Bread

Dona nobis pacem
Jan 31, 2005
✟68,185.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
gtsecc said:
More proof the Roman Catholics and Eastern Orthodox are who they say they are.

Those churches have never had an troubles? There was a Pope who held orgies with prostitutes in St. Peter's Basilica. There were rumors of an Eastern Orthodox bishop who supported Slobadon Milosevich's regime in Serbia openly. I could cite many more examples of poor conduct by bishops in those churches. Now, that's not to say that their claims to be the one true church are, but rather simply that conduct of their bishops versus Anglican bishops does not prove the case. One would have to look at other factors. The leaders of almost all churches and denominations have at one time or another acted in reprehensible ways, because they're human beings, and human beings sin.

Upvote 0

kiwimac

Bishop of the See of Aotearoa ROCCNZ;Theologian
Site Supporter
May 14, 2002
New Zealand
Visit site
✟592,518.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Utrecht
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Greens
As evidence of ++Akinola's comments re violence in Nigeria.

Archbishop Akinola on the recent Violence in Nigeria

(Church of Nigeria News)
REACTION OF THE PRESIDENT OF CHRISTIAN ASSOCIATION OF NIGERIA, THE MOST REVD. PETER J. AKINOLA (CON, DD.) ON THE UGLY DEVELOPMENT OF RENEWED RELIGIOUS FANATICISM IN THE COUNTRY. - 20th February, 2006
..... c. May we at this stage remind our Muslim brothers that they do not have the monopoly of violence in this nation. Nigeria belongs to all of us – Christians, Muslims and members of other faiths. No amount of intimidation can Change this time-honoured arrangement in this nation. C.A.N. may no longer be able to contain our restive youths should this ugly trend continue....

Signed
Most Revd. Peter J. Akinola (CON, DD.)
President, Christian Association of Nigeria

Source" http://titusonenine.classicalanglican.net/?p=11515

You might also be interested in the following

Archbishop Akinola; "Gays Produce Hooligans"

Peter Akinola, the Archbishop of Nigeria, was the recent recipient of the Kairos Journal Award. A press release, written by Cynthia Brust, Assistant Director of Communications for the American Anglican Council, contains this quote;

The Kairos Journal Award is given to individuals who demonstrate exemplary fidelity to the authority of Scripture and exceptional pastoral courage in their efforts to restore the prophetic voice of the Church, said Journal publisher Emmanuel A. Kampouris.​
Here is the latest essay written by Akinola and published by Kairos. Allow me to reproduce an excerpt of the essay that we must assume the good folks of Kairos consider an excellent example of "exceptional pastoral courage";

...To opine that, unknown to humans, God had hitherto created some people to be homosexuals and lesbians (i.e., sexual orientations) is tantamount to creating God in our own image and introducing a cancerous element into the fabric of the African understanding of marriage and family.

Homosexuality and lesbianism, like divorce, breed a society of single parents which gives rise to a generation of *******s. And in the context of much poverty and lack of education, this further produces an ill-bred generation of hooligans, portending much terror to the peace and stability of the society.

Homosexuality and lesbianism thrives on many sexual aberrations and improvisations typical of human selfishness and greed in the name of pleasure and self-actualization.

In a society where many women are finding it difficult to have husbands of their own due to the depletion of men by many factors, homosexuality will exacerbate the existing social disequilibrium, leading to much social unrest.

Granted, the American society as a super-power is in the forefront of human adventure. However, in this case of human sexuality, it is nothing but adventure in ungodliness. For people like Gene Robinson, who was married for years with children, to wake up one morning and discover that they are homosexuals is nothing but adventurous promiscuity and unfaithfulness. The Church condones that at her own peril. If this is not yet clear to many today, it will surely be tomorrow.​
So, according to the Archbishop;

1. There is no such thing as "homosexual orientations."
2. That notion has introduced a "cancerous element" into our understanding of marriage and family.
3. Homosexuals, lesbians, divorcees, and single parents are responsible for a generation of ******* hooligans.
4. Homosexuals and lesbians are just plain selfish.
5. Homosexuals are depriving women of husbands.
6. Gene Robinson woke up one day and discovered he was homosexual.

Six outrageous statements in five paragraphs. And for this he is given an award for "exceptional pastoral courage...

Source: [URL="http://makeashorterlink.com/?...ttp://makeashorterlink.com/?J4E552CCC[/COLOR]
[/url]

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

kiwimac

Bishop of the See of Aotearoa ROCCNZ;Theologian
Site Supporter
May 14, 2002
New Zealand
Visit site
✟592,518.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Utrecht
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Greens
As evidence of ++Akinola's comments re violence in Nigeria.

Archbishop Akinola on the recent Violence in Nigeria

(Church of Nigeria News)
REACTION OF THE PRESIDENT OF CHRISTIAN ASSOCIATION OF NIGERIA, THE MOST REVD. PETER J. AKINOLA (CON, DD.) ON THE UGLY DEVELOPMENT OF RENEWED RELIGIOUS FANATICISM IN THE COUNTRY. - 20th February, 2006
..... c. May we at this stage remind our Muslim brothers that they do not have the monopoly of violence in this nation. Nigeria belongs to all of us – Christians, Muslims and members of other faiths. No amount of intimidation can Change this time-honoured arrangement in this nation. C.A.N. may no longer be able to contain our restive youths should this ugly trend continue....

Signed
Most Revd. Peter J. Akinola (CON, DD.)
President, Christian Association of Nigeria

Source" http://titusonenine.classicalanglican.net/?p=11515

You might also be interested in the following

Archbishop Akinola; "Gays Produce Hooligans"

Peter Akinola, the Archbishop of Nigeria, was the recent recipient of the Kairos Journal Award. A press release, written by Cynthia Brust, Assistant Director of Communications for the American Anglican Council, contains this quote;

The Kairos Journal Award is given to individuals who demonstrate exemplary fidelity to the authority of Scripture and exceptional pastoral courage in their efforts to restore the prophetic voice of the Church, said Journal publisher Emmanuel A. Kampouris.​
Here is the latest essay written by Akinola and published by Kairos. Allow me to reproduce an excerpt of the essay that we must assume the good folks of Kairos consider an excellent example of "exceptional pastoral courage";

...To opine that, unknown to humans, God had hitherto created some people to be homosexuals and lesbians (i.e., sexual orientations) is tantamount to creating God in our own image and introducing a cancerous element into the fabric of the African understanding of marriage and family.​

Homosexuality and lesbianism, like divorce, breed a society of single parents which gives rise to a generation of *******s. And in the context of much poverty and lack of education, this further produces an ill-bred generation of hooligans, portending much terror to the peace and stability of the society.

Homosexuality and lesbianism thrives on many sexual aberrations and improvisations typical of human selfishness and greed in the name of pleasure and self-actualization.

In a society where many women are finding it difficult to have husbands of their own due to the depletion of men by many factors, homosexuality will exacerbate the existing social disequilibrium, leading to much social unrest.

Granted, the American society as a super-power is in the forefront of human adventure. However, in this case of human sexuality, it is nothing but adventure in ungodliness. For people like Gene Robinson, who was married for years with children, to wake up one morning and discover that they are homosexuals is nothing but adventurous promiscuity and unfaithfulness. The Church condones that at her own peril. If this is not yet clear to many today, it will surely be tomorrow.
So, according to the Archbishop;

1. There is no such thing as "homosexual orientations."
2. That notion has introduced a "cancerous element" into our understanding of marriage and family.
3. Homosexuals, lesbians, divorcees, and single parents are responsible for a generation of ******* hooligans.
4. Homosexuals and lesbians are just plain selfish.
5. Homosexuals are depriving women of husbands.
6. Gene Robinson woke up one day and discovered he was homosexual.

Six outrageous statements in five paragraphs. And for this he is given an award for "exceptional pastoral courage...

Source: [URL="http://makeashorterlink.com/?J4E552CCC"]http://makeashorterlink.com/?J4E552CCC
[/URL]

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Aymn27

Radical Reformationist
Feb 12, 2005
Lake Charles, LA
Visit site
✟19,028.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Inside Edge said:
I nominate this statement as one of the most truly pathetic statements I have ever read on these forums.
hehe..indeed..much like that of Ankinola contributing to the deaths of homosexual Nigerians, and now this glorious thread...:sigh: ...shock value does have merit..

Upvote 0

Timothy

Mad Anglican geek at large
Jan 1, 2004
Birmingham.... [Bur-min'-um]
✟17,765.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
What a beautiful example of media spin. It's almost, but maybe not quite as good as some of the "conservative" attacks on Gene Robinson, since this one does have at least some factual basis. Remember, folks, there are always TWO sides to any story. The media wants good stories which sell newspapers. Which on BOTH sides is not necessarily the truth. Maybe having spent my life with my father (ex-BBC radio) has turned me cynical, I dunno...

Timothy

Upvote 0

Timothy

Mad Anglican geek at large
Jan 1, 2004
Birmingham.... [Bur-min'-um]
✟17,765.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
What a beautiful example of media spin. It's almost, but maybe not quite as good as some of the "conservative" attacks on Gene Robinson, since this one does have at least some factual basis. Remember, folks, there are always TWO sides to any story. The media wants good stories which sell newspapers. Which on BOTH sides is not necessarily the truth. Maybe having spent my life with my father (ex-BBC radio) has turned me cynical, I dunno...

Timothy

Upvote 0

Wiffey

He is my refuge and my fortress...
Oct 27, 2004
✟18,913.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Whether one agrees or disagrees with some of the social positions coming from the Bishops in question, we cannot turn a blind eye to the issues of corruption, intimidation, and incitement to violence. To sweep such things under the rug in the name of supporting an agenda is monstrous.

To point out abuses is not tantamount to a lack of support for the developing world. Corruption and cronyism may be endemic, but these problems help keep the majority of the population in poverty and vulnerable to violence.

Upvote 0

gtsecc

Aspirant
Sep 3, 2004
✟9,845.00
Faith
Anglican
Wiffey said:
Whether one agrees or disagrees with some of the social positions coming from the Bishops in question, we cannot turn a blind eye to the issues of corruption, intimidation, and incitement to violence. To sweep such things under the rug in the name of supporting an agenda is monstrous.

To point out abuses is not tantamount to a lack of support for the developing world. Corruption and cronyism may be endemic, but these problems help keep the majority of the population in poverty and vulnerable to violence.
Absolutely!

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.