john23237

Jan 30, 2005
virginia
✟212,849.00
Faith
Anglican
Politics
US-Democrat
Wonderful. Just wonderful. Now those of us who are gay Christians are referred to as a "cancerous elements" on society. I believe Dr. Goebbels referred to us in the same terms. In fact, I would suggest, that the conservatives read Joseph Goebbels remarks on German gays. If the archbishop of Nigeria wishes to say something to us, at least he should take the time to write something original and not simply copy the remarks of one who views he clearly shares.

Upvote 0

gtsecc

Aspirant
Sep 3, 2004
✟9,845.00
Faith
Anglican
john23237 said:
Wonderful. Just wonderful. Now those of us who are gay Christians are referred to as a "cancerous elements" on society. I believe Dr. Goebbels referred to us in the same terms. In fact, I would suggest, that the conservatives read Joseph Goebbels remarks on German gays. If the archbishop of Nigeria wishes to say something to us, at least he should take the time to write something original and not simply copy the remarks of one who views he clearly shares.
Absolutely.

Upvote 0

Simon_Templar

Not all who wander are lost
Jun 29, 2004
Visit site
✟33,957.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Wiffey said:
Whether one agrees or disagrees with some of the social positions coming from the Bishops in question, we cannot turn a blind eye to the issues of corruption, intimidation, and incitement to violence. To sweep such things under the rug in the name of supporting an agenda is monstrous.

To point out abuses is not tantamount to a lack of support for the developing world. Corruption and cronyism may be endemic, but these problems help keep the majority of the population in poverty and vulnerable to violence.

The point for me is that I simply don't trust the source. I honestly don't know that much about the condition of the churches in africa but I'm certainly not going to form my opinions based on the all too probably propagandising ravings of some journalist out to tell everyone what they should think.
You see, just as there are people on the "conservative side" who are willing to over-look the faults and sins of people who support their agenda.. there are people on the "liberal" side who are willing to lie and twist the truth in order to support theirs.

On a daily basis media outlets twist the "facts" to give whatever picture of events they want, and when necessary they are not in the least above either omitting or out right manufacturing information in order to produce the results they want.

Moving on to ++Akinola's comments, I really don't have a significant problem with any of them. My only complaint about his "inciting violence" is that he did not give more directed guidance away from mob violence and towards self defensive action. However, in all probability that is because he did not actually intend to incite a real response but rather intended his words to be a simple warning of the inevitable.

I happen to believe that homosexuality is a cancer on humanity, just like every other sin. In some ways it is more aggressively so because it has a strong lobby for acceptance, self promotion, and legal protection.. most sins don't have that kind of social infrastructure going for them.
But I suppose that makes me Joseph Goebbles... and its sooo wrong of me to think homosexuality is bad.. but its fine in response for homosexuals to accuse me (or those who share my view point) of being genocidal mass murdering maniacs.

Reactions: Naomi4Christ
Upvote 0

Timothy

Mad Anglican geek at large
Jan 1, 2004
Birmingham.... [Bur-min'-um]
✟17,765.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
there are people on the "liberal" side who are willing to lie and twist the truth in order to support theirs.

I don't think you'd be telling the truth to yourself if you didn't admit that both sides do that to a certain extent.

Timothy

Upvote 0

pmcleanj

Lord Jesus, have mercy on me, a sinner
Mar 24, 2004
Alberta, Canada
Visit site
✟7,281.00
Faith
Anglican
This is an official moderator post.

Recognizing the difficulty of discussing Archbishop Akinola's positions and actions without bringing up the discussion of homosexuality, a "controversial topic" specifically restricted by Christian Forums rule 4.2, this thread is being moved to Congregation-specific Ethics where such discussion is permitted.

Please be aware that all statements addressing the morality of homosexuality must be accompanied by objective support in the form of a cite.

Regards,
Pamela

Upvote 0

Simon_Templar

Not all who wander are lost
Jun 29, 2004
Visit site
✟33,957.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
SirTimothy said:
I don't think you'd be telling the truth to yourself if you didn't admit that both sides do that to a certain extent.

Timothy

I'm sure they do. I'm just as wary of "conservative christian" media sources and their pronouncements.

Upvote 0

Timothy

Mad Anglican geek at large
Jan 1, 2004
Birmingham.... [Bur-min'-um]
✟17,765.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
I'm sure they do. I'm just as wary of "conservative christian" media sources and their pronouncements.

Heheheh. You sound like me. I am prepared to believe a media source will tell up to 50% of the story, of which maybe 25-75% of which will be the true story.

Timothy

Upvote 0

Aymn27

Radical Reformationist
Feb 12, 2005
Lake Charles, LA
Visit site
✟19,028.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Simon_Templar said:
I happen to believe that homosexuality is a cancer on humanity, just like every other sin. In some ways it is more aggressively so because it has a strong lobby for acceptance, self promotion, and legal protection.. most sins don't have that kind of social infrastructure going for them.
But I suppose that makes me Joseph Goebbles... and its sooo wrong of me to think homosexuality is bad.. but its fine in response for homosexuals to accuse me (or those who share my view point) of being genocidal mass murdering maniacs.
Herr Simon! Vie gehts?
Ich bien ein Berliner!

(ok..I only had one year of german in HS, so the spelling/grammer is probably way off) Heil!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Status
Not open for further replies.