Indiana
✟962,254.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
There are certainly some differences. I worship in both and can only share my own experience. Note, I am an occasional pew warmer in an Episcopal church, not an expert or even a member.

In terms of worship experience, the Episcopal Church (ECUSA) is more centered on the Eucharist and the UMC is more centered on the Minister's message. Anglicans gather for Eucharist every week. Methodists' communion frequency varies, often only once a month :sigh: (I think the Anglicans may be on to something here. I have never been to a bad Eucharist, but I've heard many a poor sermon.)

My other observation (in my limited experience) is that ECUSA worship is more liturgical, more formal, and more reverential (my opinion) while UMC worship may more frequently found to be more contemporary. This observation may only reflect my bias, however, since I am a refugee from the informality of my UMC, and have found a "high church" Episcopal Church that I like to worship in.

Both ECUSA and UMC have open Communion.

I don't find lots of theological differences that cause problems for me. When I became disillusioned with my UMC and decided to visit other churches, I thought I'd start closest to the UMC's theological roots. Since we came from the Anglican's, I chose to start visiting there. It's been a good experience for me. I'm still a United Methodist, but I could easily be Anglican.

I would add that recent decisions of the church on the bodys' official stance about ordination of homosexual clergy are somewhat different in that the ECUSA will ordain practicing gay persons and the UMC will not--at least to this point. Within the body of believers, you will find all sort of opinions on this in both churches. Both churches are accepting of homosexual persons in the pew, in my experience. Both churches accept female clergy.

seeking.IAM
<><

Upvote 0

PaladinValer

Traditional Orthodox Anglican
Apr 7, 2004
Myrtle Beach, SC
✟30,305.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
As an Anglican:

1. We believe in the importance of Apostolic Succession and have a valid and licit line.
2. We hold to the Seven Sacraments, although Baptism and Holy Communion are seen as the most important.
3. We are Eucharist-orientated
4. We hold to Holy Tradition, especially to the Seven Ecumenical Councils
5. We hold to the historic doctrine of ordained ministry, deacon-priest-bishop, as anciently taught.
6. We believe in the Real Presence, except that we believe it to be physical as well as spiritual in terms of Presence.
7. We venerate the Saints, and hold St. Mary the Theotokos in great honor. We even have an Anglican rosary.
8. We have both Western (Vatican Catholic) as well as Eastern (Eastern Orthodox) influences.
9. The Book of Common Prayer
10. Founded in the 1st century ce.

Upvote 0

Artos

Veteran
Jul 29, 2005
✟9,522.00
Faith
Methodist
To Paladin
This is true if you are a High Church Anglican. There are Broad Church Anglicans and where I am, the Anglicans are primarily ..and extremely Low Church.....In fact, at one time the Methodists were more 'high church' than the Anglicans here....

To SEEKING IAM
The ideal of the Wesleys (founders of Methodism) was to have DAILY communion. But because of shortage of ordained ministers, they had to settle for the non-ideal. The 'once a month' practice was because of circumstances during the frontier days of USA- there were not enough ordained ministers around. Of course habits become entrenched....and it has become a normal practice...although some Methodists are having communion weekly.

The UMC is not representative of all Methodists. British Methodists are different as are Free Methodists, independent Methodists from various countries etc. Unlike Episcopalians or Anglicans, Methodists do not have a internationally centralised 'semi- authoratative' body eg Canterbury/Lambeth Council....There's the World Methodist Council but that's an 'association' or 'federation' of world Methodists. ....

Hope this helps.

Upvote 0

scraparcs

aka Mayor McCheese
Mar 4, 2002
Massachusetts
✟91,578.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Yes, but practice doesn't always align with official Anglican teaching, as you know. Just for a quick example, the parish I am investigating doesn't believe in the Real Presence (although I believe some in the parish do believe in the Real Presence), hasn't mentioned a Saint or the blessed Virgin Mary yet, doesn't appear a whole lot like a Roman Catholic church, and nobody ever mentions much about history or apostolic succession (although our bishops, priests, and deacons are in valid apostolic succession). I will note that it is a liberal broad church Episcopalian parish.

I have had Methodist (well, a Methodist experience) and Anglican experiences similar to those of seeking.IAM.

Upvote 0

seeking.IAM

Episcopalian
Site Supporter
Feb 29, 2004
Indiana
✟962,254.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Artos said:
The 'once a month' practice was because of circumstances during the frontier days of USA-

When I was a kid (somewhere between now and "frontier days") the typical UMC practice in these parts was quarterly, not monthly. I've managed to survive long enough to see the UMC generally do communion monthly. I wonder if I'll live long enough to see weekly become actually become routine?

Perhaps not. I could be Episcolpalian before then?

I also wonder if I will ever see it be given the kind of reverence it is given among the Anglicans, EOs, or RCs. Our church has all but abandoned the communion liturgy. It's so informal as to almost become meaningless.

seeking.IAM
<><

Upvote 0

Artos

Veteran
Jul 29, 2005
✟9,522.00
Faith
Methodist
seeking.IAM said:
When I was a kid (somewhere between now and "frontier days") the typical UMC practice in these parts was quarterly, not monthly. I've managed to survive long enough to see the UMC generally do communion monthly. I wonder if I'll live long enough to see weekly become actually become routine?

Perhaps not. I could be Episcolpalian before then?

I also wonder if I will ever see it be given the kind of reverence it is given among the Anglicans, EOs, or RCs. Our church has all but abandoned the communion liturgy. It's so informal as to almost become meaningless.

seeking.IAM
<><

Ever heard of the UMC ORDER OF ST LUKE? This is not to be confused with the healing Order of St Luke. This is the sacramental and liturgical order of the UMC which seeks to restore the dignity and importance of the sacraments to the UMC...Can find it with help of GOOGLE.

Also- not all Methodists in the world are UMC. There are those who are not that informal re Communion around the world. So there's hope.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ebia

Senior Contributor
Jul 6, 2004
A very long way away. Sometimes even further.
✟54,775.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Greens
Lel said:
Yes, but practice doesn't always align with official Anglican teaching, as you know.
Even defining what is official Anglican teaching ends up being a matter of opinion. There is no archive of official dogmas or anything. Of Paladin's list:

1. We believe in the importance of Apostolic Succession and have a valid and licit line.
Anglicans believe it is valid and licit. The RCC does not.

2. We hold to the Seven Sacraments, although Baptism and Holy Communion are seen as the most important.
A good number of Anglicans would not count the 'other' five as sacraments.

3. We are Eucharist-orientated
Currently true, but not historically, and not currently in all diocese.

4. We hold to Holy Tradition, especially to the Seven Ecumenical Councils
Just about.

5. We hold to the historic doctrine of ordained ministry, deacon-priest-bishop, as anciently taught.
Only just hanging on in some dioceses.

6. We believe in the Real Presence, except that we believe it to be physical as well as spiritual in terms of Presence.
Far from all Anglicans believe this, whatever ARCIC might like to pretend.

7. We venerate the Saints, and hold St. Mary the Theotokos in great honor. We even have an Anglican rosary.
I'd suggest this is only true for a minority of Anglicans.

8. We have both Western (Vatican Catholic) as well as Eastern (Eastern Orthodox) influences.
Hmm. Can't think of an objection to this one.

9. The Book of Common Prayer
Kind of. There is no single version currently 'valid' in all Provinces.

10. Founded in the 1st century ce.
Does any church think it wasn't?

Upvote 0

ebia

Senior Contributor
Jul 6, 2004
✟54,775.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Greens
Artos said:
Sigh. Even Anglicans cant agree among themselves what Anglicans believe in.....and they have a more 'centralised' and more 'visible' govenment.

Methodists with their loose international confederation wont stand a chance...
Why is this a bad thing?

Upvote 0

ebia

Senior Contributor
Jul 6, 2004
✟54,775.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Greens
Artos said:
In this thread, an Anglican tried to state what Anglicans believe. Then another says that what he stated isnt what Anglicans believe in. What exactly do Anglicans believe in? People outside the Anglican church wants to know this.

They havent come to an agreement.

This isnt a bad thing?
No, it's not. The Anglican church is a broad church containing a vast array of opinion, and with virtually no forum to decide 'official' policy. It is a church held together by a common heritage, and common framework of prayer, and a concept of being mutually 'in communion' with each other via the A.B.C. Not by a common set of beliefs beyond the historic creeds.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Fish and Bread

Dona nobis pacem
Jan 31, 2005
✟68,185.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Artos said:
OK. So what are the DISTINCTIVE essentials of Anglicanism?
(Am not talking about the common beliefs shared by all Christians)....

What are the distinctive essentials of Methodism that are not common beliefs shared by all other Christians? I think our two denominations may be cut from the same cloth in being a bit hazy on required beliefs outside of the basics, which in and of itself is sort of a distinctive belief. :)

Generally, you'll find that nearly all Anglicans believe in at least three sources for information about Christ: scripture, reason, and tradition. Most Anglicans will also affirm that, though, tradition is important, no belief not found in scripture can rightly be considered a requirement for salvation. Anglicans also have historically had a three-fold model of ministry -- bishop, priest, and deacon -- with all being linked to the historic episcopate (i.e. bishops having hands laid on them by other bishops in a line back to the Apostles). Additionally, though our level of liturgicalness can vary, you'll find that by and large any Anglican church you come across will at minimum hold to the basic historic liturgy -- readings (with the gospel last and the people standing), sermon, prayers of the people, eucharist. We also tend to think of ourselves as kind of Catholic leaning Protestants or Protestant leaning Catholics -- a via media (or middle way). Those are some traits that Anglicans throughout the ages have shared historically probably 99% of the time (Though I'm sure folks can dig up some exceptions here and there).

John

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.