The woods and lakes of the Great North
✟60,225.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Don't think there is that much twisting of words here, but perhaps more so of context.

What is truly different is that this Pope does not speak as if every word he utters is a doctrinal statement, or must be vetted by a committee of theologians and spin meisters. He speaks from the heart, and clearly a heart grounded in the Gospels. It is like he can read the minds of many "everyday" Catholics who have asked the same questions, but not with the same impact. And keep in mind that much of what he says does not occur in "official" proclamations or documents (that few will read and even less understand), but in daily homilies and reflections, in public venues, before and to laity, in a manner and language that speaks directly to them.....Sort of like Jesus did.

It is interesting that many people from various parts of the world, from bishops in the USA and Europe all the way to an Archbishop in Africa, have reported that the people, both Catholic and non, have responded with great joy to this man and his words.

The other thought to keep in mind is that these are not necessarily new words or thoughts from Pope Francis. He did not change when he became the Pope, but said and did similar things as a bishop and Cardinal. And I suspect that the Cardinals who chose him knew that, and it may have been the main reason he is now occupying the Chair of Peter. With perhaps a big dose of Holy Spirit in the mix.

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,671,345.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
What caught my attention:

"Always keep in mind the audience and context of Pope Francis' homilies," Rosica cautioned. "His words are not spoken in the context of a theological faculty or academy nor in interreligious dialogue or debate. He speaks in the context of Mass."

Given Francis' wry sense of humor and willingness to regularly ditch speeches prepared for him, the Vatican spokesman, the Rev. Federico Lombardi, said he wants the faithful to know the difference between a pontifical joke and an encyclical, a clever quip in a homily and infallible teaching.

"There are different genres of expression, some are magisterial and official, others are more pastoral," Lombardi told The Associated Press. "They have a different doctrinal value."

Upvote 0

StevenMerten

I Love You, God!
Dec 27, 2005
Lynnwood, WA
Visit site
✟69,502.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
The problem with Pope Francis is that when all the world is confused over what he says he does not come back and make it absolutely clear as to what he means. He is not dead. If the world is in an uproar over what he, the leader of the Church has said, the Pope should come back out and tell us just exactly what he is teaching the world.

I am not sure what Pope Francis stand on abortion and homosexual sex.

Please come out and confirm what you mean Pope Francis!

By not coming back to clearly confirm his stand, I take it that he wants non-clarity of his stand to cloak a change in the direction he is taking the Church.

We need all of us, along with strong media, to call the Pope back out here to confirm just exactly what his stand is on these tremendous present day issues in the Church.

The world needs a Pope who is clear and concise and free from deception as to where he is taking the Church.

Upvote 0

ebia

Senior Contributor
Jul 6, 2004
A very long way away. Sometimes even further.
✟54,775.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Greens
StevenMerten said:
The problem with Pope Francis is that when all the world is confused over what he says he does not come back and make it absolutely clear as to what he means. He is not dead. If the world is in an uproar over what he, the leader of the Church has said, the Pope should come back out and tell us just exactly what he is teaching the world. I am not sure what Pope Francis stand on abortion and homosexual sex. Please come out and confirm what you mean Pope Francis! By not coming back to clearly confirm his stand, I take it that he wants non-clarity of his stand to cloak a change in the direction he is taking the Church. We need all of us, along with strong media, to call the Pope back out here to confirm just exactly what his stand is on these tremendous present day issues in the Church. The world needs a Pope who is clear and concise and free from deception as to where he is taking the Church.
Maybe he wants open comments that challenge everyone to think instead of giving nice black-and white answers.

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,671,345.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The problem with Pope Francis is that when all the world is confused over what he says he does not come back and make it absolutely clear as to what he means. He is not dead. If the world is in an uproar over what he, the leader of the Church has said, the Pope should come back out and tell us just exactly what he is teaching the world.

By not coming back to clearly confirm his stand, I take it that he wants non-clarity of his stand to cloak a change in the direction he is taking the Church.

We need all of us, along with strong media, to call the Pope back out here to confirm just exactly what his stand is on these tremendous present day issues in the Church.

The world needs a Pope who is clear and concise and free from deception as to where he is taking the Church.
I agree in as far that he needs to clarify that he is not upturning what cannot be changed as far as dogma goes. Clarification is never a bad thing.

Upvote 0

Martinius

Catholic disciple of Jesus
Jul 2, 2010
The woods and lakes of the Great North
✟60,225.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

I don't see it the way you do. I find no deception in what the Pope does or says. Rather, I see him as being open, honest and without guile. Not something normally found in those circles.

I also agree with Ebia's idea that Francis challenges us, not to obey rules and follow doctrinal teachings, but to think about what living the Gospel truly means. That puts many people ill at ease, and even scares some. Kind of like what Jesus did.

And I think the earlier points about how the media spins his words has a bearing on this. The "uproar" is caused mostly by those who read into statements and comments more than they should, or by those in the media who want to have an attention-getting headline.

Francis can say that he will not condemn someone outright for their belief or behavior, but that does not mean he is changing doctrine. He is being pastoral, being a Christian, being a disciple of Jesus, in opening his arms to those who have strayed, rather than just condemning them for crossing a doctrinal line.

And what you say are "tremendous present day issues in the Church" the Pope says receive too much attention, that they are not the only important issues that we should be considering. What is interesting is that more and more of the hierarchy are saying similar things, including a number of key Cardinals and bishops. I doubt they are saying those things to gain favor from Francis, but instead now feel that have the backing to add their voices to the messages coming from the Pope. Of course, there were those who were saying those things before, but they were mostly ignored. That has changed in a noticeable way.

Again, despite the naysayers, I feel the work of the Holy Spirit here, and sense that many are opening their hearts and responding to that Spirit, as Francis has obviously already done.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Tigg

Senior Veteran
Jan 5, 2007
✟17,774.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
If anyone doesn't know the Pope's stance on homosexual acts or abortion, they really haven't been paying attention.

^_^ Excuse me for laughing. Just struck my funny bone.

You are so right. He will not change dogma - which can never be changed. God is explicity clear as is the church that follows Him.

Upvote 0

ivebeenshown

Expert invisible poster and thread killer
Apr 27, 2010
✟17,740.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
If anyone doesn't know the Pope's stance on homosexual acts or abortion, they really haven't been paying attention.

Lol, thank you. It's as if people are so shocked we can have a pope with a warmer approach that they become worrisome.

Upvote 0