Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
How does one remain faithful while struggling with analytical thoughts?

I am attempting to aid someone with this.

If you have any resources - such as books or blog articles - I would love to explore anything you recommend.

Thank you so much for your support.

God bless xx

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

If you have any resources - such as books or blog articles - I would love to explore anything you recommend.

God bless xx
What are they struggling with. Some of the best minds in history were and are Christians.

Thanks.

• Agree
Reactions: St_Worm2
Upvote 0

Zoey <3

Considering Catholicism
Site Supporter
Mar 21, 2017
Ohio
✟74,215.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
What are they struggling with. Some of the best minds in history were and are Christians.

Thanks.

From what I understand they are struggling greatly with remaining faithful. They are greatly aggravated by the thoughts they harbor, questioning things constantly. They said that all they can see are flaws. This greatly distracts them from growing spiritually.

The example I was given is this: Worshiping is a terrible struggle. They cannot stop thinking about logic long enough to absorb the sound and atmosphere of community worship.

• Informative
Reactions: redleghunter
Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Get my point, Web-Maker ???
Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,131,176.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

God bless xx

Well, ZoeyLou, it depends on the type of analytical thoughts one is having. What issue is being wrestled with specifically?

• Agree
Upvote 0

Zoey <3

Considering Catholicism
Site Supporter
Mar 21, 2017
Ohio
✟74,215.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Well, ZoeyLou, it depends on the type of analytical thoughts one is having. What issue is being wrestled with specifically?

I believe that doubt may be the greatest issue this person is facing. As for other specifics, I am not quite sure. They are confused. And when someone who is confused tries to explain something to a person, that person becomes confused themselves :)

Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Get my point, Web-Maker ???
Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,131,176.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I believe that doubt may be the greatest issue this person is facing. As for other specifics, I am not quite sure. They are confused. And when someone who is confused tries to explain something to a person, that person becomes confused themselves :)

That's understandable, but I'll tell you what. Since it seems this acquaintance of yours is having general feelings of doubt and insecurity about the Christian faith, I'm not going to try to offer any specific book or article at the moment. I've got hundreds, literally hundreds of books, many of which are philosophy based, but reading a random book isn't going to help much at this moment, especially if we can't really pinpoint the actual analytical difficulty. So, I would gently ask this other person to try to think about what ideas make them begin to feel insecure. Then, maybe I can offer something helpful.

If the doubts and feelings are coming from some kind of family problem (or abuse), I would suggest seeking a Christian psychological counselor rather than reading analytical or apologetics books.

Upvote 0

MaudDib

Jun 6, 2018
Cape Town
✟20,547.00
Country
South Africa
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
From what I understand they are struggling greatly with remaining faithful. They are greatly aggravated by the thoughts they harbor, questioning things constantly. They said that all they can see are flaws. This greatly distracts them from growing spiritually.

The example I was given is this: Worshiping is a terrible struggle. They cannot stop thinking about logic long enough to absorb the sound and atmosphere of community worship.
Well when you read the word of God or are learning apologetics it can be seen as a form of worship. Love the Lord your God with all heart, and all your soul and all your MIND.

If they like logic, I would suggest they take a look at some debates on youtube by William Lane Craig.

Maybe they want to worship differently :)

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

God bless xx
In the midst of all sorts of analysis, Philippians 4.8 must be relevant. :)

Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If your friend really wants to wrap their analytical mind on something this is it:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002W5GQ3...olid=1GQ71NSH2JEP5&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

Yet the best advice I can give is this person should speak with their pastor. These are highly intelligent and educated people with Masters and in some cases PhDs in various fields.

I think every Christian, especially those who grow up in Christian homes, has a period of time of doubt. Sometimes our analytical mind fails to take into account all the variables and seeks to explain things around us in purely materialistic terms.

Some people experience this in times of stress, loss or trials of faith. Sometimes the teacher is silent during the test.

• Winner
Reactions: Zoey <3
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Desires Light

Refreshingly different.
Jun 4, 2018
Queensland
✟10,388.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

God bless xx
To know faith is a process of the mind like logic is a process of the mind, one not ruled by religion.

Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

What do you mean? There's nothing wrong with analytical thoughts.

Some of the best minds in history were and are Christians.

Exactly.

And our faith is a "reasonable faith."

They said that all they can see are flaws.

Flaws such as?

They cannot stop thinking about logic long enough to absorb the sound and atmosphere of community worship.

Possibly they're in the wrong church? I like to think hard about what the words of the song mean. With the right songs, that works.

Upvote 0

salt-n-light

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2017
Rosedale
✟165,859.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate

Well its always good to keep the bigger picture in mind when processing stuff. Usually, when we overanalyze, the message tends to get lost. We put more emphasis on things that don't really matter much, and then neglect the parts that do. But if one can establish a good foundation and overall understanding on the heart of God, then how they analyze things won't be so far-fetch from the truth.

When we also overanalyze, it could be that we lack trust in the message itself. We try to find a more plausible conclusion other than what is stated or outside the behaviours of God. That will have to be up to the person to step back and reevaluate their faith.

Lastly, overanalyzing I see it as a space of imagination. It's like trying to build up your own world of what someone might think the gospel is about, but it lacks substance. At some point, it goes off the tangent completely, and sometimes people get stuck with their own ideas of who God should be. Its best to try to keep the analyzing simple and with a clear goal, always geared towards knowing God more which requires to listen to God, instead of half listening to God and half making stuff up.

• Winner
Upvote 0

Serving Zion

Seek First His Kingdom & Righteousness
May 7, 2016
Revelation 21:2
✟223,022.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
:D .. not necessarily! (2 Peter 2:19).

A confused person can be made well again by seeking the healing that comes from Christ (the way, TRUTH, and the life - John 15:3). We are called, as Christians, to be the vessel for Him to work through in this way, but the problem is that most people who call themselves Christian do not apply themselves fully for that purpose (Galatians 2:19-20), as a result of having received a false presentation of the gospel that makes them think it is just a ticket to heaven in exchange for 10% of their income and a weekly seminar.

Your friend needs to find someone that is able to really match his thinking power, but who is also spiritually competent. One question that I have, is why you are doing the asking here and not he?

Upvote 0
Oct 21, 2003
Central Time Zone
✟107,193.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

Maybe they should spend some time with my blog: Presuppositionalism 101

There are so many wonderful and helpful resources it is difficult to know where to begin. In my opinion, one of the best introductory books on Christian Apologetics is a book entitled "Faith Has Its Reasons" by Kenneth Boa & Robert Bowman. From there I recommend apologetics books by Dr. Greg Bahnsen, "Always Ready" is a good starting point. Here is a selection of articles by Dr. Bahnsen

Reformed Theological Seminary offers an impressive selection of audio courses on iTunesU covering apologetics and philosophy that are definitely worth the time and effort. Dr. James N. Anderson of Reformed Theological Seminary has a wonderful blog here: Analogical Thoughts

Please let me know if I can be of further help, there is a great deal to be discovered in the links provided. Just the numerous audio links on my blog alone could keep a person busy for weeks, months, and longer depending on the amount of time spent per day. Your first post brought to mind a book by Dr. Alvin Plantinga entitled "The Analytic Theist".

• Agree
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

mark kennedy

Natura non facit saltum
Site Supporter
Mar 16, 2004
Indianapolis, IN
✟549,630.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
First of all being analytic isn't mutually exclusive with being faithful and logic isn't at odds with worship. Secondly, doubts are not sinful and certainly not a liability to the sincere seeker. Doubts are inevitable and if you never doubted the claims of Christianity your not thinking. Maybe I'll sit this one out till the discussion stumbles into specifics.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

GodsGrace101

Site Supporter
Apr 17, 2018
Tuscany
✟231,507.00
Country
Italy
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

God bless xx
How ZL,
Christianity is not rocket science.
We are what we are...we think what we think.

Thomas had doubts,,,don't we all at times?
We kind of have to decide what we base our faith on.
I base my faith on what the Apostles said about Jesus...
I trust them when they say that He arose again on the 3rd day...thus making Him God.

I liked the book: Who Moved The Stone.
By Frank Morrison.

Since our faith depends on the resurrection, I used to like to read books on this subject.

Mere Christianity is also a great book by C.S. Lewis. It explains really well what Christianity is.

Other than that, our faith is a matter of will -- not anything we feel. We just WILL to remain with Jesus and trust in Him for our salvation.

Upvote 0

Chinchilla

May 31, 2018
Warsaw
✟30,919.00
Country
Poland
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

Start with video on youtube called "Reasoning With Unbelievers - Dr. Greg Bahnsen . It's good 2 hours talking about worldviews and flaws in them but the best book I could suggest is actually Bible itself . God said that he will do NOTHING before he reveal first to thier prophets what he will do , that's why Bible is about 28% prophecy which most of it is alredy fulfilled so you can know that he exists .Another person who could help you is William Lane Craig , watch some of his debates and he also has books about reasonable faith .

Upvote 0
Oct 21, 2003
Central Time Zone
✟107,193.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

They should consider the basis, the foundation, the justification for logic, how would they account for conceptual, universal, immaterial, absolute laws of logic, apart from the mind of God? The concept of perfection assumes a basis for perfection. They should focus on the One who is perfect, and not on imperfect creatures created in the image of God, given the innate ability to reason. The object of our worship, God, is perfect, flawless, and He is the only means to account for conceptual, immaterial, laws of logic, which He embodies perfectly and comprehensively. This said, all Christians have struggles and doubts, even if things are settled in the mind, the heart and emotions can and do cause troubles.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Inkfingers

Somebody's heretic
Site Supporter
May 17, 2014
✟160,762.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single

That sounds like hypervigilance...which is a symptom of anxiety, which itself is a denial of faith (Oh, people so don't like me saying that but it is true - trust and fear are opposites).

I usually find the Proverbs comforting when I get like that - especially Proverbs 8.

• Informative
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.