✟55,225.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I'd like to state for the record:

The Anabaptists were recently removed from the former Baptist/Anabaptist forum. Not all of them are happy with this, and several seem to very much not want a special Anabaptist-only forum.

With that in mind, I would ask that members be welcoming of any visiting Anabaptists, even if they aren't "liberal" by some arbitrary standard. Several of them feel that they've just been kicked out of their home, and they will appreciate any welcoming and social support we can offer.

seebs

God Made Me A Skeptic
Apr 9, 2002
Saint Paul, MN
Visit site
✟55,225.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
As a short answer: "Turn the other cheek."

There is a strong NT theme of foregoing vengeance in favor of forgiveness. The question of defense is raised, but "turn the other cheek" in context appears to suggest a non-violent response to violence.

If you want an excellent discussion of this, I recommend Walter Wink's The Powers That Be.

Upvote 0

Im_A

Legend
May 10, 2004
✟35,359.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
In Relationship
tell them to come on over :)

we've got ice cream for the ice cream lovers

we've got cofee for the coffee lovers (speaking of which where has sir tulc been here lately?)

we have cigarettes for the cigarette lovers (oops maybe i shouldn't have put that.)

and we have interesting, good discussion with open minds to talk and discuss, openly and honestly.

Upvote 0

seebs

God Made Me A Skeptic
Apr 9, 2002
Saint Paul, MN
Visit site
✟55,225.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Every time there's a death penalty thread, all the peace churches come out against it. Tempers flare, and a couple of the SBC Baptists demand that we be moved away since we have "nothing in common". I mean, nothing other than hundreds of years of similar theology.

This time, it seemed pretty clear we were getting kicked out, and we started talking about where we might want to go; this was taken as proof that we wanted a split, so an "Anabaptist" forum was created. I think we could MAYBE manage ten members, but already one of the members has said he hopes that the forum isn't full of liberalism, and that means several of us are already preemptively unwelcome.

There's a whole lot of forum drama and politics involved.

But we got the boot, and are no longer permitted to debate in our home forum. Those of us who take a stand against popular American sins can't even fellowship, because we have reasonable evidence that any post whatsoever would be met with spite reports.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Crazy Liz

Oct 28, 2003
California
✟23,305.00
Faith
Christian
I kinda liked having 2 Congregational home forums, but it looks like for now this is it, since the one or two Anabaptists who wanted a separate forum have already made it clear they don't want "liberals" there.

I think for a while I'll take a rest from posting where I'm not wanted.

Upvote 0
T

Teshi

Yay Anabaptists! C'mon over!

If I didn't believe in the petrine primacy, etc., I'd probably be going to the local Friends church. I know I shouldn't generalize about a whole group based on a few people, but all the Mennonites I know do a really wonderful job of connecting the gospel message with the way they live their everyday lives and I really admire that.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Flynmonkie

The First Official FrankenMonkie ;)
Feb 23, 2004
Home of Harry Truman - Missouri
Visit site
✟20,276.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Hey! :wave:
I wondered if you all were interested in taking in another orphan that doesn’t fit the Baptist label, or the Anabaptist label, but does fit the Christian label? After the Baptists ushered the Anabaptists out (without site supporter vote!). I was left homeless as far as I am concerned and no longer have a forum labeled for me. I am a member of an SBC Church; I feel this is where God has called us. However, I find myself in agreement and understanding with the Anabaptists, amongst other denomination also. I don’t believe there is one denomination that is perfect. Versions of the bible don’t bother me, but I hang pretty true to the KJV. (Personal preference but even then I hold some areas of translation in question). So I usually use this as reference. Not much on the study of "Church Fathers" or creeds. I have various different means for scripture study, mainly a whole lot of prayer.:prayer: I never considered myself liberal, but have been accused of it many a time. (Educated in a "rule keeping" as a test of faith environment) What does this mean anyway, Liberal? I believe we are taught to work out our own salvation. (READ: work on my walk before I start “meddling” in someone else’s) But I do admit to enjoying a hearty “debate” and discussion of differing views as long as it doesn’t come to blows (name calling) or gets be abandoned again?!?:sigh:

Upvote 0

Im_A

Legend
May 10, 2004
✟35,359.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Flynmonkie said:
Hey! :wave:
I wondered if you all were interested in taking in another orphan that doesn’t fit the Baptist label, or the Anabaptist label, but does fit the Christian label? After the Baptists ushered the Anabaptists out (without site supporter vote!). I was left homeless as far as I am concerned and no longer have a forum labeled for me. I am a member of an SBC Church; I feel this is where God has called us. However, I find myself in agreement and understanding with the Anabaptists, amongst other denomination also. I don’t believe there is one denomination that is perfect. Versions of the bible don’t bother me, but I hang pretty true to the KJV. (Personal preference but even then I hold some areas of translation in question). So I usually use this as reference. Not much on the study of "Church Fathers" or creeds. I have various different means for scripture study, mainly a whole lot of prayer.:prayer: I never considered myself liberal, but have been accused of it many a time. (Educated in a "rule keeping" as a test of faith environment) What does this mean anyway, Liberal? I believe we are taught to work out our own salvation. (READ: work on my walk before I start “meddling” in someone else’s) But I do admit to enjoying a hearty “debate” and discussion of differing views as long as it doesn’t come to blows (name calling) or gets be abandoned again?!?:sigh:

of course your welcome over here.

in regards to liberal, i'm afraid that many people use this term way out of context, and maybe even as a "swear" word, or a word to use it to slander people.

in regards to a definition of liberal, it's really hard to come up with one set definition as far as i'm concerned.

many liberals are not the same politically or theologically. some trends are different views of salvation issues. many liberals may believe in universal reconciliation but not all liberals believe in universal reconciliation. another example is views of the scripture in regards to be it the actual "mouth of God"/inerrant/"word of God" issues, or it be divinely inspired/written by men with their own perspectives/the bible not being the "word of God" but Jesus being the "word of God". i think you'll also see trends in views to homosexuality being different between liberal christians and non-liberal christians. you may see differentiating views about abortion, war (which can either be because of political positions or theological positions.) you'll notice over here that many of what people on CF call us as "liberals" may actually be "post-modern"/"progress" by true definition.

point is, it is really hard to define what a liberal christian exactly believes in, just as it is really hard to define what a fundamentalist, evangelical, baptist really believes in, because we are all different.

all i know for sure about WWMC, is you'll be welcome here for discussion.

also keep in mind that if over discussion you realize that you don't fit the definition of "liberal" or any definition of "liberal" that if you want to continue a debate, just take it over to LT, only in regards to the forum. don't give up on WWMC, it is just a CF policy for this specific forum that non-liberals are not allowed to debate with the liberal Christians in their own congregational forums. that doesn't mean your not welcome to discuss and share your ideas. i look at LT (Liberal Theology Forum) as a sub-group of the WWMC Congregation (or at least that's how I used it personally) that if people start debating, they can continue their WWMC fellowship here on CF over in Liberal Theology. btw, over there, you'll see more of our brothers and sisters who may not fit the "Trinitarian Christian" definition to use the Christian Icon to post over here and be able to see some insight from them as well in regards to liberal Christianity, what liberal means, or just whatever topic you want to discuss. and also feel free to gander over at GA, General Apologetics. some of us lurk over there, but i warn of you of rough waters if you tread over there :)

hope your new "adopted" home here on CF is enjoyable and benefical to your faith, and God Bless you! <><

also on another note, feel free (and i highly advise) to use the "open tag" if you start a new thread. this allows the non-trinitarian Christians (as CF defines, and i'm not saying anything against CF for that) to come in and discuss here in the congregational forums. it's a cool thing to have, and i have to remember myself to put it in the title. the best way to do it, i think and maybe it is the only way, is just put "[open] (or cap it if you want, doesn't matter} and then put your title.

Reactions: Flynmonkie
Upvote 0