Status
Not open for further replies.

Vedant

Veteran
Oct 4, 2003
✟2,245.00
Faith
Christian
Okay, I am still trying to understand the Catholic way.

Here is another take from Judaism that I've read about:

Gehenom is "hell" in Judaism, and Jews believe in this today. There is an afterlife, Olam Haba, or the coming world. However, Gehenom is not exactly hell, but purification, and not eternal. In this sense Gehenom is akin to Catholic purgatory. Some sources on the internet say that time in Gehenom is at most one Jewish year, and the least time is no time in Gehenom, but straight to heaven. I don't know if this is the consensus in Judaism or not.

Anyway, Jews and Gentiles both will be judged based upon their adherence to God's laws. The Jews are God's chosen people who are called to live in God's way for the benefit of others (living by example), and not that Hebrew is a superior ethnic group, since Jewish people, especially today, come from many different ethnic groups. By that, the Jews are called to follow 613 major laws stemming from many sources (Halakah). Gentiles, however, are called to follow the seven Noachide laws (Noah = Noach). I haven't read anything that strongly explicits hell though. Some sources say that some people may not deserve Gehenom, meaning something else, perhaps something akin to Christian hell.

My discovery is that Gehenom from Judaism provides much support for the Catholic teaching of purgatory.

Upvote 0

anawim

Senior Veteran
Aug 24, 2004
NY suburbs
Visit site
✟19,965.00
Faith
Catholic
Politics
US-Republican
Vedant said:
Okay, I am still trying to understand the Catholic way.

Here is another take from Judaism that I've read about:

Gehenom is "hell" in Judaism, and Jews believe in this today. There is an afterlife, Olam Haba, or the coming world. However, Gehenom is not exactly hell, but purification, and not eternal. In this sense Gehenom is akin to Catholic purgatory. Some sources on the internet say that time in Gehenom is at most one Jewish year, and the least time is no time in Gehenom, but straight to heaven. I don't know if this is the consensus in Judaism or not.

Anyway, Jews and Gentiles both will be judged based upon their adherence to God's laws. The Jews are God's chosen people who are called to live in God's way for the benefit of others (living by example), and not that Hebrew is a superior ethnic group, since Jewish people, especially today, come from many different ethnic groups. By that, the Jews are called to follow 613 major laws stemming from many sources (Halakah). Gentiles, however, are called to follow the seven Noachide laws (Noah = Noach). I haven't read anything that strongly explicits hell though. Some sources say that some people may not deserve Gehenom, meaning something else, perhaps something akin to Christian hell.

My discovery is that Gehenom from Judaism provides much support for the Catholic teaching of purgatory.

When Jesus uses Gehenna in Mt. 23:33 is sounds like he is talking about hell, not purgatory, but I could be wrong. He could be telling them that they will go through purification, and not damnation.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.