United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
An in depth look at The Ten Commandments

The Ten Commandments

Thou shall not have any other Gods before Me

The first one is because there were many demons that the people were under the influence of or in communion with, that what they would ask or demand was not attributable to life.
So the Lord made himself aware by letting His people to carry out this great accomplishment of establishing a proper way of life that can be called by His Name, and began with taking a man from amongst the culture and religions of the mesopotamian era and lead him to the top of a mountain where God had steadied his hand when Abraham was about to sacrifice his son Isaac, and let him know that it is not right. Abraham was made to see that the culture and surrounding religions were wrong in their practices of human and child sacrifice to what was thought to be gods.
https://biblehub.com/1_corinthians/10-20.htm

King James Bible
What am I saying then? That an idol is anything, or what is offered to idols is anything?
But I say, that the things which the Gentiles sacrifice, they sacrifice to devils, and not to God: and I would not that ye should have fellowship with devils.
1 Corinthians 10:19-20

Berean Study Bible
No, but the sacrifices of pagans are offered to demons, not to God. And I do not want you to be participants with demons.

Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven images

The idols and mix up of what God is suppose to be as Paul had stated
in Romans 1:23

23 and exchanged the glory of the immortal God for images of mortal man and birds and animals and reptiles.
https://biblehub.com/romans/1-23.htm

4You shall not make for yourself an idol in the form of anything in the heavens above, on the earth below, or in the waters beneath.
Deuteronomy 20:8

Thou shalt not take the Lord's name in vain

The severity of this and what it means depends
if either using the Lord's name frivolously which shows disrespect,
or it can mean making a declaration in the Lord's name, or as others have also put it. Attributing something to God that isn't, and specifically when lying claiming to be a representative of God.

Remember the Sabbath Day to Keep it Holy

I did an article on the subject of the importance of the Sabbath.

What can be said simply is that as The Lord Jesus said "The Sabbath was made for man"

And he said to them, “The Sabbath was made for man, not man for the Sabbath.
Mark 2:27
Mark 2:27 Then Jesus declared, "The Sabbath was made for man, not man for the Sabbath.
Which if there was any reason to respect it, it would be that but much more importantly that this is a representation of the millennial reign that is to come when The Son of God who we all know is Jesus Christ and not a modernistic, contemporary messiah who we know to be the Antichrist.

The Man of Lawlessness

1Now concerning the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ and our being gathered together to Him, we ask you, brothers, 2not to be easily disconcerted or alarmed by any spirit or message or letter seeming to be from us, alleging that the Day of the Lord has already come. 3Let no one deceive you in any way, for it will not come until the rebellion occurs and the man of lawlessness—the son of destruction—is revealed. 4He will oppose and exalt himself above every so-called god or object of worship. So he will seat himself in the temple of God, proclaiming himself to be God.
5Do you not remember that I told you these things while I was still with you? 6And you know what is now restraining him, so that he may be revealed at the proper time. 7For the mystery of lawlessness is already at work, but the one who now restrains it will continue until he is taken out of the way. 8And then the lawless one will be revealed, whom the Lord Jesus will slay with the breath of His mouth and annihilate by the majesty of His arrival.
9The coming of the lawless one will be accompanied by the working of Satan, with every kind of power, sign, and false wonder, 10and with every wicked deception directed against those who are perishing, because they refused the love of the truth that would have saved them. 11For this reason God will send them a powerful delusion so that they believe the lie, 12in order that judgment may come upon all who have disbelieved the truth and delighted in wickedness.
2 Thessalonians 2:1-12

Jesus Christ, the Son of God, when He returns, in where we will be in a much more direct and refound relationship with God and the world will be filled with His glory once again, Isaiah and other books said about this.
You will indeed go out with joy and be led forth in peace; the mountains and hills will burst into song before you, and all the trees of the field will clap their hands.
Isaiah 55:12

No longer will each man teach his neighbor or his brother, saying, ‘Know the Lord,’ because they will all know Me, from the least of them to the greatest, declares the Lord. For I will forgive their iniquities and will remember their sins no more.
Jeremiah 31:34

As well as the scriptures about children being able to reach into snakes den's without being harmed and the scripture about judgement to those who are condemned for having died at what is considered a young age of a hundred years old, due to there not being the devil's influence on the earth during that time.

8The infant will play by the cobra’s den,
and the toddler will reach into the viper’s nest.
9They will neither harm nor destroy
on all My holy mountain,
for the earth will be full of the knowledge of the Lord
as the sea is full of water.
Isaiah 11
https://biblehub.com/bsb/isaiah/11.htm

English Standard Version
No more shall there be in it an infant who lives but a few days, or an old man who does not fill out his days, for the young man shall die a hundred years old, and the sinner a hundred years old shall be accursed.
Isaiah 65:20

Honor thy father and thy mother

Yes, you have to respect your father and mother
and in order to honor them, there has to be the justifiability to respect them. If they are difficult people, they can be honored and if they are bad people, then all that can be done is respect them, but honoring them, may not be possible.
There are some statements about this:

1Children, obey your parents in the Lord: for this is right. 2Honour thy father and mother; (which is the first commandment with promise)
3That it may be well with thee, and thou mayest live long on the earth.
4And, ye fathers, provoke not your children to wrath: but bring them up in the nurture and admonition of the Lord.

English Standard Version
He who does violence to his father and chases away his mother is a son who brings shame and reproach.
Proverbs 19:26

Thou shalt not murder

“Do not be envious of evil men, nor desire to be with them,
For their heart devises violence, And their lips talk of troublemaking.
Proverbs 24:1-2
Proverbs 24:2 for their hearts devise violence, and their lips declare trouble.
Of course, respect the lives of others, and have some decency to not act on doing them harm. The implications of this, and cross referencing The Holy Bible is there. Of course its wrong to murder others.

Thou shall not commit adultery

Thou shall not steal

stealing is wrong, its not good to live amongst thieves.
Plus we're seeing the effects of peoples philosophy of stealing today with everyone's welfare being disregarded.

Thou shall not bear false witness against your neighbor.

Lying against someone for the sake of someone's detriment has had its effects all across the world. All the rumors, the continuous trails of one lie propogating the narrative for theft and murder as it continues to plague and proliferate in absence of the truth, itself being miscontrued due to well, lawlessness and carelessness as Paul stated,
to find that it was all an effort to steal, and take that which is of their neighbor, fellow man, etc, for the sake of personal gain, to the depths of luxurious grandiose living, and murdering as well.

2 Timothy 3

But know this, that in the last days perilous times will come: 2For men will be lovers of themselves, lovers of money, boasters, proud, blasphemers, disobedient to parents, unthankful, unholy, 3unloving, unforgiving, slanderers, without self-control, brutal, despisers of good, 4traitors, headstrong, haughty, lovers of pleasure rather than lovers of God, 5having a form of godliness but denying its power. And from such people turn away!
2 Timothy 3:1-5

Thou shall not covet

Simply so, people die for their desires everyday, unthinkably, they go after their desire, which is not something they need by any means most of the time, and die for a frivilous desire, that they cannot put into proper frame of mind, context, proportion, meaning and they die because of lack of knowledge. A dollar bill, to a seat of honor or entitlement, to what? To the eyes that have a covetous desire, they will regrettably find justification till there is none. They simply want something, and many a time are deceived by the value of their desire and there having been many better ways to obtain it, ways to accomplish it, other ways to put it behind them, other ways to have it be, all in all in its due time, but covetousness is indeed the end of the world, because murder does not equate to life. And people are and have been willing to do this for their lavish lifestyles. Not to mention that its covetousness for another man's life that leads them to envy their life and murder them, because they want, what is of others, including the lives of what is not there's to claim.

23But He perceived their craftiness, and said to them, “Why do you test Me? 24Show Me a denarius. Whose image and inscription does it have?”
They answered and said, “Caesar’s.”
25And He said to them, “Render therefore to Caesar the things that are Caesar’s, and to God the things that are God’s.”
26But they could not catch Him in His words in the presence of the people. And they marveled at His answer and kept silent.
Luke 20:23-26

The Parable of the Wicked Tenants

(Matthew 21:33–46; Mark 12:1–12)
The Truth of the matter is that it all belongs to God, which is why the pharisees marveled at him.
In Truth everything belongs to God.

17You shall not coveth your neighbor’s house. You shall not covet your neighbor’s wife, or his manservant or maidservant, or his ox or donkey, or anything that belongs to your neighbor.”

New King James Version
But evil men and impostors will grow worse and worse, deceiving and being deceived.
2 Timothy 3:13
https://biblehub.com/2_timothy/3-13.htm

9Those who want to be rich, however, fall into temptation and become ensnared by many foolish and harmful desires that plunge them into ruin and destruction. 10For the love of money is the root of all kinds of evil. By craving it, some have wandered away from the faith and pierced themselves with many sorrows.
1 Timothy 6:9-10

23Then Jesus looked around and said to His disciples, “How hard it is for the rich to enter the kingdom of God!” 24And the disciples were amazed at His words. But Jesus said to them again, “Children, how hard it is to enter the kingdom of God! 25It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God.
26They were even more astonished and said to one another, “Who then can be saved?” 27Jesus looked at them and said, “With man this is impossible, but not with God. For all things are possible with God.”
Mark 23:23-27

Last edited by a moderator:

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟913,336.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Thou shalt not take the Lord's name in vain

The severity of this and what it means depends
if either using the Lord's name frivolously which shows disrespect,
or it can mean making a declaration in the Lord's name, or as others have also put it. Attributing something to God that isn't, and specifically when lying claiming to be a representative of God.

In the case of Ex 20:7 "do not take God's name in vain" you quote the entire commandment --
In the case of Ex 20:8-11 you have only a tiny snip - it will work better to quote all of it.

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟913,336.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
An in depth look at The Ten Commandments

The Ten Commandments

Thou shall not have any other Gods before Me

The first one is because there were many demons that the people were under the influence of or in communion with, that what they would ask or demand was not attributable to life.

A few key details

1. God's commandments are not a case of "God commanding Himself to do or not do something". They are not a "note to self" from God to God.
2. God's commandments are for his creatures - specifically humans in this case "to do or not to do something".
3. Obeying the command - does not delete it.

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟913,336.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married

What can be said simply is that as The Lord Jesus said "The Sabbath was made for man"

And he said to them, “The Sabbath was made for man, not man for the Sabbath.
Mark 2:27
Mark 2:27 Then Jesus declared, "The Sabbath was made for man, not man for the Sabbath.
Which if there was any reason to respect it, it would be that but much more importantly that this is a representation of the millennial reign that is to come when The Son of God who we all know is Jesus Christ and not a modernistic, contemporary messiah who we know to be the Antichrist.

But since it is a commandment and not a prophecy - it cannot be God commanding mankind to have a millennial reign nor commanding himself to do it since the Ten commandments are not a case of God commanding himself to do or not to do something.

8 “Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy. 9 Six days you shall labor and do all your work, 10 but the seventh day is the Sabbath of the Lord your God. In it you shall do no work: you, nor your son, nor your daughter, nor your male servant, nor your female servant, nor your cattle, nor your stranger who is within your gates. 11 For in six days the Lord made the heavens and the earth, the sea, and all that is in them, and rested the seventh day. Therefore the Lord blessed the Sabbath day and hallowed it.
Clearly God is commanding mankind to do or not do something - - He is not commanding Himself.

Upvote 0

Akita Suggagaki

Jul 20, 2018
Midwest
✟283,621.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The tablets with the Commandments of Exodus 20:2-17 and Deuteronomy 5:6-21 were shattered in Exodus 32:19 "When Moses approached the camp and saw the calf and the dancing, his anger burned and he threw the tablets out of his hands, breaking them to pieces at the foot of the mountain."

They were replaced by the commandments of Exodus 34:11-28. These were then the ones actually put in the ark. For some reason people like to ignore these.

11 Obey what I command you today. I will drive out before you the Amorites, Canaanites, Hittites, Perizzites, Hivites and Jebusites. 12 Be careful not to make a treaty with those who live in the land where you are going, or they will be a snare among you. 13 Break down their altars, smash their sacred stones and cut down their Asherah poles. 14 Do not worship any other god, for the Lord, whose name is Jealous, is a jealous God.

15 “Be careful not to make a treaty with those who live in the land; for when they prostitute themselves to their gods and sacrifice to them, they will invite you and you will eat their sacrifices. 16 And when you choose some of their daughters as wives for your sons and those daughters prostitute themselves to their gods, they will lead your sons to do the same.

17 “Do not make any idols.

18 “Celebrate the Festival of Unleavened Bread. For seven days eat bread made without yeast, as I commanded you. Do this at the appointed time in the month of Aviv, for in that month you came out of Egypt.

19 “The first offspring of every womb belongs to me, including all the firstborn males of your livestock, whether from herd or flock. 20 Redeem the firstborn donkey with a lamb, but if you do not redeem it, break its neck. Redeem all your firstborn sons.

“No one is to appear before me empty-handed.

21 “Six days you shall labor, but on the seventh day you shall rest; even during the plowing season and harvest you must rest.

22 “Celebrate the Festival of Weeks with the firstfruits of the wheat harvest, and the Festival of Ingathering at the turn of the year. 23 Three times a year all your men are to appear before the Sovereign Lord, the God of Israel. 24 I will drive out nations before you and enlarge your territory, and no one will covet your land when you go up three times each year to appear before the Lord your God.

25 “Do not offer the blood of a sacrifice to me along with anything containing yeast, and do not let any of the sacrifice from the Passover Festival remain until morning.

26 “Bring the best of the firstfruits of your soil to the house of the Lord your God.

“Do not cook a young goat in its mother’s milk.”

27 Then the Lord said to Moses, “Write down these words, for in accordance with these words I have made a covenant with you and with Israel.” 28 Moses was there with the Lord forty days and forty nights without eating bread or drinking water. And he wrote on the tablets the words of the covenant—the Ten Commandments.

Upvote 0

Leaf473

Jul 17, 2020
Northeast
✟181,191.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The tablets with the Commandments of Exodus 20:2-17 and Deuteronomy 5:6-21 were shattered in Exodus 32:19 "When Moses approached the camp and saw the calf and the dancing, his anger burned and he threw the tablets out of his hands, breaking them to pieces at the foot of the mountain."

They were replaced by the commandments of Exodus 34:11-28. These were then the ones actually put in the ark. For some reason people like to ignore these.

11 Obey what I command you today. I will drive out before you the Amorites, Canaanites, Hittites, Perizzites, Hivites and Jebusites. 12 Be careful not to make a treaty with those who live in the land where you are going, or they will be a snare among you. 13 Break down their altars, smash their sacred stones and cut down their Asherah poles. 14 Do not worship any other god, for the Lord, whose name is Jealous, is a jealous God.

15 “Be careful not to make a treaty with those who live in the land; for when they prostitute themselves to their gods and sacrifice to them, they will invite you and you will eat their sacrifices. 16 And when you choose some of their daughters as wives for your sons and those daughters prostitute themselves to their gods, they will lead your sons to do the same.

18 “Celebrate the Festival of Unleavened Bread. For seven days eat bread made without yeast, as I commanded you. Do this at the appointed time in the month of Aviv, for in that month you came out of Egypt.

19 “The first offspring of every womb belongs to me, including all the firstborn males of your livestock, whether from herd or flock. 20 Redeem the firstborn donkey with a lamb, but if you do not redeem it, break its neck. Redeem all your firstborn sons.

21 “Six days you shall labor, but on the seventh day you shall rest; even during the plowing season and harvest you must rest.

22 “Celebrate the Festival of Weeks with the firstfruits of the wheat harvest, and the Festival of Ingathering at the turn of the year. 23 Three times a year all your men are to appear before the Sovereign Lord, the God of Israel. 24 I will drive out nations before you and enlarge your territory, and no one will covet your land when you go up three times each year to appear before the Lord your God.

25 “Do not offer the blood of a sacrifice to me along with anything containing yeast, and do not let any of the sacrifice from the Passover Festival remain until morning.

26 “Bring the best of the firstfruits of your soil to the house of the Lord your God.

27 Then the Lord said to Moses, “Write down these words, for in accordance with these words I have made a covenant with you and with Israel.” 28 Moses was there with the Lord forty days and forty nights without eating bread or drinking water. And he wrote on the tablets the words of the covenant—the Ten Commandments.
Fascinating situation.

I know some people say there's more than 10 commandments in the passage you quoted. I counted 11, but there's many cases where it's questionable if it's a different commandment or just expanding on the same one.

The ten commandments in Exodus 20 can also be counted different ways coming up with different numbers.

Upvote 0

daq

Messianic
Jan 26, 2012
Devarim 11:21
Visit site
✟113,468.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private

Yes, the covenant was immediately renewed following the golden calf event. No more wifey because wifey played the harlot. Therefore He says, "after the tenor of these words", (Exodus 34:27).

And:

Deuteronomy 32:6
6 Do ye thus requite the LORD, O foolish people and unwise? is He not thy Father that hath purchased thee? hath He not made thee, and established thee?

And Jeremiah the Prophet foretells that this renewed covenant will finally be fully realized when the Messiah comes to fully expound it all, (Jeremiah 3 and Jeremiah 31).

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟913,336.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married

But were never changed - and so 40 years later in Deut 5 - Moses said they were to hold fast to the 10 commandments spoken to them directly by God at Sinai.

They were not replaced by some other commandments of Exodus 34:11-28.

It is the Words spoken directly to the people and written on stone - that are "The TEN" to be remembered even 40 years later

Deut 4:10 Remember the day you stood before the Lord your God at Horeb, when the Lord said to me, ‘Assemble the people to Me, that I may have them hear My words so that they may learn to fear Me all the days that they live on the earth, and that they may teach their children.’ 11 You came forward and stood at the foot of the mountain, and the mountain was burning with fire to the heart of the heavens: darkness, cloud, and thick gloom. 12 Then the Lord spoke to you from the midst of the fire; you heard the sound of words, but you saw no form—there was only a voice. 13 So He declared to you His covenant which He commanded you to perform, that is, the Ten Commandments; and He wrote them on two tablets of stone. 14 The Lord commanded me at that time to teach you statutes and judgments, so that you would perform them in the land where you are going over to take possession of it.

Deut 5:4 The Lord spoke with you face to face at the mountain from the midst of the fire, 5 while I was standing between the Lord and you at that time, to declare to you the word of the Lord; for you were afraid because of the fire, and you did not go up on the mountain.

22 “These words the Lord spoke to your whole assembly at the mountain from the midst of the fire, from the cloud, and from the thick darkness, with a great voice, and He added nothing more. He wrote them on two tablets of stone and gave them to me. 23 And when you heard the voice from the midst of the darkness, while the mountain was burning with fire, you approached me, all the heads of your tribes and your elders. 24 You said, ‘Behold, the Lord our God has shown us His glory and His greatness, and we have heard His voice from the midst of the fire; we have seen today that God speaks with mankind, yet he lives. 25 Now then, why should we die? For this great fire will consume us; if we hear the voice of the Lord our God any longer, then we will die! 26 For who is there of humanity who has heard the voice of the living God speaking from the midst of the fire, as we have, and lived? 27 Go near and listen to everything that the Lord our God says; then speak to us everything that the Lord our God speaks to you, and we will listen and do it.’

==================

Ex 34

1."cut two tables of stone like unto the first: and I (God) will write upon these tables the words that were in the first tables... 28 And he (God) wrote upon the tables the words of the covenant, the ten commandments"

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟913,336.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
The ten commandments in Exodus 20 can also be counted different ways coming up with different numbers.

scripture calls them "The Ten Commandments"

Ex 34

1."cut two tables of stone like unto the first: and I (God) will write upon these tables the words that were in the first tables... 28 And he (God) wrote upon the tables the words of the covenant, the ten commandments"

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Leaf473

Jul 17, 2020
Northeast
✟181,191.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
scripture calls them "The Ten Commandments"

Ex 34

Indeed! Raising the question of which 10 commandments in Exodus 34 are the 10 commandments in that passage? Some people say there are more than 10 commandments in that passage, which is why I brought up the idea of: It depends on how you count them.

Another objection to the ten commandments in Exodus 34 is that they are different from the list in Exodus 20 and Deuteronomy 5. True again! Though, Exodus 20 and Deuteronomy 5 don't match up exactly, either.

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟913,336.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Indeed! Raising the question of which 10 commandments in Exodus 34 are the 10 commandments in that passage?

Since Deut 4 and 5 written 40 years after the Ex 20, and Ex 34 events specifically says that even 40 years later it is still the 10 "spoken" to the people audibly in Ex 20... then it is really not much of a "question" left.

So in that regard - the Bible made that detail super easy for the reader

while other questions may still exist -- that one was slam dunked in Deut 4 and 5.

Upvote 0

Leaf473

Jul 17, 2020
Northeast
✟181,191.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Since Deut 4 and 5 written 40 years after the Ex 20, and Ex 34 events specifically says that even 40 years later it is still the 10 "spoken" to the people audibly in Ex 20... then it is really not much of a "question" left.

So in that regard - the Bible made that detail super easy for the reader

while other questions may still exist -- that one was slam dunked in Deut 4 and 5.
I agree that the ten commandments in Exodus 20 were spoken to Moses. Which makes it all the more interesting that the ten commandments spoken to Moses in Exodus 34 are somewhat different.

Do you think the part about God creating the Earth in 7 days was spoken to Moses on the mountain the first time? Or was it the part about being slaves in Egypt? Or both? Or maybe Moses added those parts later?

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟913,336.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
I agree that the ten commandments in Exodus 20 were spoken to Moses.

You appear to be missing the detail in Deut 4 and 5 that the emphasis was in God speaking them audibly to Israel --- and that only happens in Ex 20. So Deut 4 and 5 simply the question you asked - since it means that even 40 years later it is still the Ex 20 TEN that are being upheld.

Do you think the part about God creating the Earth in 7 days was spoken to Moses on the mountain the first time?

Ex 20 says it was spoken to all Israel the first time - Moses was there of course along with everyone else to hear it.

Deut 4 and 5 says that what was spoken audibly to all of Israel is the unchanging 10 still being affirmed. Even 40 years later. (this is the detail you appear to be missing in your responses)

You insert "to Moses" but the "To Moses" aspect is common to all of them, Ex 20, Ex 34,

Upvote 0

Leaf473

Jul 17, 2020
Northeast
✟181,191.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You appear to be missing the detail in Deut 4 and 5 that the emphasis was in God speaking them audibly to Israel --- and that only happens in Ex 20. So Deut 4 and 5 simply the question you asked - since it means that even 40 years later it is still the Ex 20 TEN that are being upheld.

Ex 20 says it was spoken to all Israel the first time - Moses was there of course along with everyone else to hear it.

Deut 4 and 5 says that what was spoken audibly to all of Israel is the unchanging 10 still being affirmed. Even 40 years later. (this is the detail you appear to be missing in your responses)

You insert "to Moses" but the "To Moses" aspect is common to all of them, Ex 20, Ex 34,
When you say that Exodus 20 was spoken to all Israel, which passage are you looking at?

Also do you believe the Exodus 20 version was spoken then? If so, why is Deuteronomy 5 different?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟913,336.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
When you say that Exodus 20 was spoken to all Israel, which passage are you looking at?

Exodus 19 and 20.

22 “These words the Lord spoke to your whole assembly at the mountain

Ex 19 -
10 The Lord also said to Moses, “Go to the people and consecrate them today and tomorrow, and have them wash their garments; 11 and have them ready for the third day, for on the third day the Lord will come down on Mount Sinai in the sight of all the people. 12 But you shall set boundaries for the people all around, saying, ‘Beware that you do not go up on the mountain or touch the border of it; whoever touches the mountain shall certainly be put to death. 13 No hand shall touch him, but he shall certainly be stoned or shot through; whether animal or person, the violator shall not live.’ When the ram’s horn sounds a long blast, they shall come up to the mountain.” 14 So Moses went down from the mountain to the people and consecrated the people, and they washed their garments. 15 He also said to the people, “Be ready for the third day; do not go near a woman.”

16 So it came about on the third day, when it was morning, that there were thunder and lightning flashes and a thick cloud over the mountain and a very loud trumpet sound, so that all the people who were in the camp trembled. 17 And Moses brought the people out of the camp to meet God, and they stood at the foot of the mountain.

The Lord Visits Sinai
18 Now Mount Sinai was all in smoke because the Lord descended upon it in fire; and its smoke ascended like the smoke of a furnace, and the entire mountain quaked violently. 19 When the sound of the trumpet grew louder and louder, Moses spoke, and God answered him with thunder. 20 Then the Lord came down on Mount Sinai, to the top of the mountain; and the Lord called Moses to the top of the mountain, and Moses went up.

Ex 20 (After having thundered all the TEN Commandments audibly)
18 And all the people were watching and hearing the thunder and the lightning flashes, and the sound of the trumpet, and the mountain smoking; and when the people saw it all, they trembled and stood at a distance. 19 Then they said to Moses, “Speak to us yourself and we will listen; but do not have God speak to us, or we will die!” 20 However, Moses said to the people, “Do not be afraid; for God has come in order to test you, and in order that the fear of Him may remain with you, so that you will not sin.” 21 So the people stood at a distance, while Moses approached the thick darkness where God was.

22 Then the Lord said to Moses, “This is what you shall say to the sons of Israel: ‘You yourselves have seen that I have spoken to you from heaven.

Ex 34

Deut 4:10 Remember the day you stood before the Lord your God at Horeb, when the Lord said to me, ‘Assemble the people to Me, that I may have them hear My words so that they may learn to fear Me all the days that they live on the earth, and that they may teach their children.’ 11 You came forward and stood at the foot of the mountain, and the mountain was burning with fire to the heart of the heavens: darkness, cloud, and thick gloom. 12 Then the Lord spoke to you from the midst of the fire; you heard the sound of words, but you saw no form—there was only a voice. 13 So He declared to you His covenant which He commanded you to perform, that is, the Ten Commandments; and He wrote them on two tablets of stone. 14 The Lord commanded me at that time to teach you statutes and judgments, so that you would perform them in the land where you are going over to take possession of it.

Deut 5:4 The Lord spoke with you face to face at the mountain from the midst of the fire, 5 while I was standing between the Lord and you at that time, to declare to you the word of the Lord; for you were afraid because of the fire, and you did not go up on the mountain.

22 “These words the Lord spoke to your whole assembly at the mountain from the midst of the fire, from the cloud, and from the thick darkness, with a great voice, and He added nothing more. He wrote them on two tablets of stone and gave them to me. 23 And when you heard the voice from the midst of the darkness, while the mountain was burning with fire, you approached me, all the heads of your tribes and your elders. 24 You said, ‘Behold, the Lord our God has shown us His glory and His greatness, and we have heard His voice from the midst of the fire; we have seen today that God speaks with mankind, yet he lives. 25 Now then, why should we die? For this great fire will consume us; if we hear the voice of the Lord our God any longer, then we will die! 26 For who is there of humanity who has heard the voice of the living God speaking from the midst of the fire, as we have, and lived? 27 Go near and listen to everything that the Lord our God says; then speak to us everything that the Lord our God speaks to you, and we will listen and do it.’

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Leaf473

Jul 17, 2020
Northeast
✟181,191.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Exodus 19 and 20.

22 “These words the Lord spoke to your whole assembly at the mountain

Ex 19 -
10 The Lord also said to Moses, “Go to the people and consecrate them today and tomorrow, and have them wash their garments; 11 and have them ready for the third day, for on the third day the Lord will come down on Mount Sinai in the sight of all the people. 12 But you shall set boundaries for the people all around, saying, ‘Beware that you do not go up on the mountain or touch the border of it; whoever touches the mountain shall certainly be put to death. 13 No hand shall touch him, but he shall certainly be stoned or shot through; whether animal or person, the violator shall not live.’ When the ram’s horn sounds a long blast, they shall come up to the mountain.” 14 So Moses went down from the mountain to the people and consecrated the people, and they washed their garments. 15 He also said to the people, “Be ready for the third day; do not go near a woman.”

16 So it came about on the third day, when it was morning, that there were thunder and lightning flashes and a thick cloud over the mountain and a very loud trumpet sound, so that all the people who were in the camp trembled. 17 And Moses brought the people out of the camp to meet God, and they stood at the foot of the mountain.

The Lord Visits Sinai
18 Now Mount Sinai was all in smoke because the Lord descended upon it in fire; and its smoke ascended like the smoke of a furnace, and the entire mountain quaked violently. 19 When the sound of the trumpet grew louder and louder, Moses spoke, and God answered him with thunder. 20 Then the Lord came down on Mount Sinai, to the top of the mountain; and the Lord called Moses to the top of the mountain, and Moses went up.

Ex 20 (After having thundered all the TEN Commandments audibly)
18 And all the people were watching and hearing the thunder and the lightning flashes, and the sound of the trumpet, and the mountain smoking; and when the people saw it all, they trembled and stood at a distance. 19 Then they said to Moses, “Speak to us yourself and we will listen; but do not have God speak to us, or we will die!” 20 However, Moses said to the people, “Do not be afraid; for God has come in order to test you, and in order that the fear of Him may remain with you, so that you will not sin.” 21 So the people stood at a distance, while Moses approached the thick darkness where God was.

22 Then the Lord said to Moses, “This is what you shall say to the sons of Israel: ‘You yourselves have seen that I have spoken to you from heaven.

Ex 34

Okay... So God spoke the ten commandments to all Israel in Exodus 20. Then in Exodus 34 he spoke a different ten commandments to just Moses.

And it's the Exodus 34 commandments that end up in the ark.

One possible explanation is to translate it as 10 Words instead of ten commandments. One for each finger. That's especially handy if you're going to try to write them on your door post.

Then Exodus 20, Exodus 34, and Deuteronomy 5 just have different fleshings out of the same 10 words.

Upvote 0

Bob S

Site Supporter
Dec 5, 2015
Union County, TN
✟663,450.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If one is going to try to keep the old covenant Sabbath command it should be examined as to what is commanded. There are actually two commands in the fourth commandment and working six days is the second command. One would be breaking the commandment if the person worked less than six days. I would be completely breaking the work part because I am retired. I am sure glad I am a new covenant believer under the covenant of love.

Reactions: Leaf473
Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟913,336.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Okay... So God spoke the ten commandments to all Israel in Exodus 20. Then in Exodus 34 he spoke a different ten commandments to just Moses.

And it's the Exodus 34 commandments that end up in the ark.

And it is the EX 20 commandments that end up in the ark as Deut 4 and 5 remind us -- 40 years later.

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟913,336.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
If one is going to try to keep the old covenant Sabbath command it should be examined as to what is commanded. There are actually two commands in the fourth commandment and working six days is the second command.

Turns out - having secular activity 6 days a week is not the big challenges some may have thought it was.

Upvote 0