Reformed Baptist with a Quaker heritage
Aug 8, 2004
Ohio
✟10,256.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Well, at least to you reformed readers in here!!!

I'm looking for my next book to read. I'm about halfway through "Desiring God"(which is an amazing read!) and I've read R.C. Sproul's "Grace Unknown".

However, those are the only 2 'reformed" books I've read, and I really want to find a good book that explained reformed theology more fully than "grace unknown" did. It was a great first look, but I'm ready for something a bit more in depth.

And although I consider myself reformed baptist, this book can be from a presbyterian point of view.......

so, this is my "challenge":

list ONE (yes, I said one!) book that you think would be the best one for me to read so that I can have some more indepth knowledge and understanding about reformed theology(not just TULIP--I get that part).

Ready, set, GO!!!

p.s. ONE BOOK......come one, you can do it!!!!! :p

Reactions: McWilliams

rmwilliamsll

avid reader
Mar 19, 2004
✟7,946.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Green
Too easy:

Institutes of the Christian Religion -John Calvin
;)

you can read my sunday school class notes on institutes at:
http://www.dakotacom.net/~rmwillia/lesson_plan.html

i just got John Frame's new introduction to systematic theology. it is now my best recommendation for new believers.

it is:
Salvation Belongs to the Lord: An Introduction to Systematic Theology
by John M. Frame

http://www.amazon.com/Salvation-Bel...=pd_bbs_1/002-6306006-7476067?ie=UTF8&s=books

when you've seen triads while dreaming, you know you've read enough J.Frame *grin*

congrats on reading Desiring God, i too think it an excellent book and highly recommend it.

Upvote 0

HiredGoon

Old School Presbyterian
Dec 16, 2003
✟4,843.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
While I really like Robertson's book, I think over that I will have to recommend Horton's God of Promise. It really is the next place to go once you've gotten the Doctrines of Grace down.

I agree. Horton's God of Promise is very good. I've been reading through it lately along with Bierma's German Calvinism in the Confessional Age: The Covenant Theology of Caspar Olevianus, another good book on covenant theology.

Upvote 0

heymikey80

Quidquid Latine dictum sit, altum viditur
Dec 18, 2005
✟34,309.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
The clincher for me -- an oldie but goodie -- Loraine Boettner, "The Reformed Doctrine of Predestination". It covers Reformed soteriology (the 5-points doctrine of salvation) with readable introductions that were directly relevant to me. It's more depth than Sproul's "Grace Unknown", less depth than Calvin's encyclopedic "Institutes".

Upvote 0

cygnusx1

Jacob the twister.....
Apr 12, 2004
UK Northampton
Visit site
✟79,726.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
sovereigngod.jpg
....... either the full un-edited version or the BOT edited one , both are life changing. :hug:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

GrinningDwarf

Just a humble servant
Mar 30, 2005
✟19,311.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
If you have 'TULIP' down, you really need to read something involving covenant theology and the sacraments. While I was exploring the amzing depths of God's grace through reformed soteriology, I kept reading that TULIP is just one aspect of reformed theology. I didn't really understand what else might be involved until I began including reading on covenant theology.

Horton's God of Promise focus' on covenant theology and is excellent for that. I think Horton's Putting Amazing Back Into Grace is a more complete book on Reformed Theology as a whole. It does come from a paedo-baptism point of view...and while I havn't been converted (yet!), I think I really understand the points behind paedo-baptism now.

Reactions: McWilliams
Upvote 0

edie19

Legend
Site Supporter
Sep 5, 2005
NW Ohio (almost Michigan)
Visit site
✟91,291.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Have to agree with all the Horton referrals - he's one of my favorite authors.

But, since you said you're reformed baptist -
By His Grace and For His Glory: A Historical, Theological, and Practical Study of the Doctrines Of Grace in Baptist Life by Thomas Nettles.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

edie19

Legend
Site Supporter
Sep 5, 2005
NW Ohio (almost Michigan)
Visit site
✟91,291.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
now i understand what the OP's title means.

reformed folks can't recommend just ONE book!!!!

ain't that the truth - I kept looking at my bookshelf (and my Amazon wish list), looking at was already recommended, looking at my bookshelf, back and forth, back and forth - trying to choose just one. When I re-read the OP and saw the Baptist reference it made my choice slightly easier (barely).;)

edie

Upvote 0