• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

An embarrassing men's health question...

archer75

Site Supporter
Nov 16, 2016
USA
✟256,152.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Is defecating a similarly selfish act? Or urinating? Perhaps these delightful substances should be retained, as allowing them to exit the body makes one feel better (not exactly mortifying the flesh) and allows one's body to function well.

Upvote 0

jtrevor99

Feb 24, 2017
Minnesota
✟8,255.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Personally, I do not see the parallel. Eliminating waste is something that is required for one to live, and every organism on the planet must do so. On the other hand, what the urologist is recommending here is not required to live; at the most, it's only a (possible) way to deal with pain. And even that is not guaranteed.

We are taught that the flesh and the Spirit are at odds with one another, and that only one of them can reign in one's life. Yet there is nothing inherently evil about the reproductive organs or sex; they were created by God, and declared to be good. It's all about what we do with them.

I agree that masturbation is (outside of with your spouse) a self-centered act full of lust. And frankly, anyone who thinks they can touch without filling their heads with lustful or inappropriate contentographic thoughts is probably kidding themselves. I'll admit I have fallen for that in the past. But at the same time, I do not believe God would have me live with pain if this activity would cause it to end.

Upvote 0

archer75

Site Supporter
Nov 16, 2016
USA
✟256,152.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Personally, I do not see the parallel. Eliminating waste is something that is required for one to live, and every organism on the planet must do so. On the other hand, what the urologist is recommending here is not required to live; at the most, it's only a (possible) way to deal with pain. And even that is not guaranteed.

We are taught that the flesh and the Spirit are at odds with one another, and that only one of them can reign in one's life. Yet there is nothing inherently evil about the reproductive organs or sex; they were created by God, and declared to be good. It's all about what we do with them.

I agree that masturbation is (outside of with your spouse) a self-centered act full of lust. And frankly, anyone who thinks they can touch without filling their heads with lustful or inappropriate contentographic thoughts is probably kidding themselves. I'll admit I have fallen for that in the past. But at the same time, I do not believe God would have me live with pain if this activity would cause it to end.
Then it seems you have your answer.

Upvote 0

gadar perets

Messianic Hebrew
May 11, 2016
NC
Visit site
✟130,996.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Is defecating a similarly selfish act? Or urinating? Perhaps these delightful substances should be retained, as allowing them to exit the body makes one feel better (not exactly mortifying the flesh) and allows one's body to function well.
Spare me. Those are natural functions that our Creator built into us. MB is totally unnatural and must be forced by man.

Upvote 0

Goatee

Jesus, please forgive me, a sinner.
Aug 16, 2015
Under a Rock. Wales, UK
✟77,615.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Divorced
I honestly think that in OT times they actually thought that it was the mans sperm that was the actual 'seed', that the 'sperm' was 'life'. This is why they said never to spill it.

Obviously, now, we know that it is only when both the sperm and the egg meet that 'life' happens. Before that they are not human. When joined, through the grace of God, that is when they become 'human', when they become a 'life'.

• Informative
Reactions: archer75
Upvote 0

PROPHECYKID

Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2007
The isle of spice
Visit site
✟73,684.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hello everyone! While I have browsed these forums before, this is the first time I've ever posted. I have a rather embarrassing question which is why I'm asking it here, anonymously.

I am a 35 year old conservative Baptist male that takes God's call to physical and sexual purity extremely seriously. To that end, I have never had sex, do not look at things I shouldn't, don't touch, etc. However, I have been experiencing pain off and on for several years. I finally went to a urologist, who diagnosed it as "chronic noninfectious prostatitis". Basically, my prostate is inflamed and irritated for no obvious reason, and that's causing the pain.

The urologist prescribed three things: an increase in fluid intake, frequent pelvic floor exercises, and...well, the one I'm writing this post about. I am supposed to make myself [bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse] at least three times a week.

For many guys that wouldn't be a problem, but for me it is. I also cannot help but think it's an all-too-convenient excuse to do something I am chronically tempted to do. I've also wondered if it's God's way of telling me to use those parts as they were designed. Yet I need to try to manage the pain, and frankly the inflammation and pain could be in part from lack of use.

I need help understanding if, given my situation, I can follow the doctor's orders yet remain pure and sin-free in God's eyes. I'm very troubled with the idea of doing this.

Thank you.

Your prostate did not get inflammed because of a lack of fluids, lack of [bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse] or lack of pelvic floor exercises. Your body does not work that way. Inflammation is caused by free radical damage in the body, not enough antioxidants and not enough vital nutrients. Your doctor is not trained in nutrition so he won't give you a nutrition based analysis but your body functions on nutrients and is affected by bad things that come from the foods we eat. You should focus on cleaning up your diet, increasing your nutrient intake and exercise, not on trying to force yourself to [bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse]. The last time i checked, there was not an epidemic or high incidence of prostatitis among priests and monks.

Reactions: Joined2krist
Upvote 0

Goatee

Aug 16, 2015
Under a Rock. Wales, UK
✟77,615.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Divorced
Your prostate did not get inflammed because of a lack of fluids, lack of [bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse] or lack of pelvic floor exercises. Your body does not work that way. Inflammation is caused by free radical damage in the body, not enough antioxidants and not enough vital nutrients. Your doctor is not trained in nutrition so he won't give you a nutrition based analysis but your body functions on nutrients and is affected by bad things that come from the foods we eat. You should focus on cleaning up your diet, increasing your nutrient intake and exercise, not on trying to force yourself to [bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse]. The last time i checked, there was not an epidemic or high incidence of prostatitis among priests and monks.

Who knows what priests or monks do behind closed doors!

Upvote 0

Goatee

Aug 16, 2015
Under a Rock. Wales, UK
✟77,615.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Divorced
I strongly believe that masturbation is not wrong as its only when the sperm and egg meet that life starts. Eggs are purged during a womans period every month!

This is Gods rule. He made us. He know our needs.

When a man and women have intercourse it is Gods will if life is activated at that moment............Only God can decide.

Upvote 0

NothingIsImpossible

May 22, 2015
✟274,922.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I strongly believe that masturbation is not wrong as its only when the sperm and egg meet that life starts. Eggs are purged during a womans period every month!

This is Gods rule. He made us. He know our needs.

When a man and women have intercourse it is Gods will if life is activated at that moment............Only God can decide.
Not to mention people who think you commit abortion when you MB since the sperm die, they can't explain sex very well since millions of sperm die even when you do have sex to try and get pregnant. Sperm + Egg = Life. Sperm along, egg alone are items used to make something. So MB isn't killing anything.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

archer75

Site Supporter
Nov 16, 2016
USA
✟256,152.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
By the time a woman hits puberty there are only 300,000 or so eggs left -- millions have already been "wasted". Only a couple hundred will ever be ovulated.

So - millions of counts of murder, I guess. Plus that no woman has a child for every egg ever ovulated. Objection: that's natural. Well, masturbation is, too, since most people figure it out with no help.

Unejaculated sperm cells don't last that long anyway.

• Agree
Reactions: Goatee
Upvote 0

Goatee

Aug 16, 2015
Under a Rock. Wales, UK
✟77,615.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Divorced
As i said earlier i believe people are wrapped up in how they interpret scripture where as in OT days people believed that the mans 'sperm' was the seed, 'THE' life. We know differently in our times.

A mans sperm is no more precious than a womans egg. Its only when the 2 meet that 'human' life can begin.

Upvote 0

emily johnston

All Known Laws of Aviation
Nov 27, 2016
The Atlantic Ocean
✟18,212.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
Hello everyone! While I have browsed these forums before, this is the first time I've ever posted. I have a rather embarrassing question which is why I'm asking it here, anonymously.

I am a 35 year old conservative Baptist male that takes God's call to physical and sexual purity extremely seriously. To that end, I have never had sex, do not look at things I shouldn't, don't touch, etc. However, I have been experiencing pain off and on for several years. I finally went to a urologist, who diagnosed it as "chronic noninfectious prostatitis". Basically, my prostate is inflamed and irritated for no obvious reason, and that's causing the pain.

The urologist prescribed three things: an increase in fluid intake, frequent pelvic floor exercises, and...well, the one I'm writing this post about. I am supposed to make myself [bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse] at least three times a week.

For many guys that wouldn't be a problem, but for me it is. I also cannot help but think it's an all-too-convenient excuse to do something I am chronically tempted to do. I've also wondered if it's God's way of telling me to use those parts as they were designed. Yet I need to try to manage the pain, and frankly the inflammation and pain could be in part from lack of use.

I need help understanding if, given my situation, I can follow the doctor's orders yet remain pure and sin-free in God's eyes. I'm very troubled with the idea of doing this.

Thank you.

Masturbating is perfectly normal and a healthy thing for a human to do. People shouldn't feel ashamed or impure because they need to feel release. Our bodies were biologically wired to [bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse]. In the present day, humans have commonly found themselves WITHOUT a countless stream of partners, contrary to the multiple partners which were common in the Neolithic era. (Though polyamory, so long as it's consensual, is totally fine. PS: polyamory is NOT polygamy, though polygamy is also fine as long as it's consensual. Unfortunately, in many cases it is not). The answer to this lack of partners: masturbation! Even if you're married, it's normal to touch. After all, how will your partner get you off if you don't know how to get yourself off? Masturbation can be empowering--women and men should not feel ashamed of answering their bodies' physical desires.
I know the Bible talks about lust as one of the seven deadly sins, but honestly I think that whatever gets people off is totally normal and fine, so long as it doesn't involve harming another person in a way that is not consensual.
Whatever floats your boat. Anything from vanilla sex to Fifty Shades of Grey type sex is all fine and dandy so long as everyone participating is willing.
Remember: virginity is a man-made concept! (which is most often used to shame people in some way or another). Your body is not different before and after having sex for the first time, regardless of biological sex. Men experience [bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse], and women experience female [bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse] (sometimes). After sex, a vagina returns to the same size. The hymen does not break solely from sex; it can also break from anything from running to doing the splits.
So lay back, grab some lubriderm + tissues, and enjoy what God gave you.
Purity remains in your soul and your good intentions; it is not affected by a normal human's physiological act of release.
Best of Wishes!

Upvote 0

Waterwerx

Jul 14, 2016
Hazleton, PA
✟63,759.00
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Single

Thank you.

It sounds like they are following the Stanford Protocol.
A prostate typically enlarges in men as they get older(benign prostatic hyperplasia or BPH), which in itself can potentially lead to irritation/inflammation. BPH is caused by the hormone DHT(dihydrotestosterone), which is derived from testosterone.

Another option if that doesn't turn out to work for you would be to get the inflammation under control with steroids in conjunction with alpha-1 blockers(preferably selective, such as Uroxatral) and then follow up with prescription DHT blockers such as Finasteride or Dutasteride. If you're having this much trouble with your prostate now, and if its being agitated by BPH, its only going to get worse as you get older if the BPH isn't brought under control.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟380,249.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I am a 35 year old conservative Baptist male that takes God's call to physical and sexual purity extremely seriously. To that end, I have never had sex, do not look at things I shouldn't, don't touch, etc.
Out of curiosity - how do you avoid masturbation? I'm assuming you haven't done it for some years.

Have you found evidence of nocturnal emissions? Unless your urologist has told you differently, I would expect that this counts.

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

I know the OP has been gone for a while, but perhaps he is still coming here to read.

There are times when we get injured and have to be put on very strong pain meds. Guess what? Those make you "drunk" as surely as alcohol does. Maybe moreso. And there is scripture that tells us not to get drunk. But that is a medical necessity. So we attach no moral negativity to being under the influence of strong pain killers.

Since there is no scripture anywhere that says "Thou Shalt Not touch," I would follow your doctor's prescription. I would put no moral negativity to it either.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I do not believe your urologist is alone in that directive. I have read that it is common knowledge that a lack of frequent ejaculations adds to hardening of the prostate. It may not cause the problem, but it can certainly make it worse.

• Winner
Reactions: Darkhorse
Upvote 0