Boyertown, PA.
✟768,605.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
A friend @Andrewn had a question on how the Assyrian Church of the East covered the book of Revelation since that book did not make the canonical cut of their original canon known as the Peshitta.

Anyway if anyone else is interested in this kind of topic, I am posting a link to the verse teaching in the series covering the first few books.

Well looking at the video it looks like you get to see what an an Assyrian Church service is like in English. I guess this is a non-eucharist service, like when the Coptic Church does raising incense vespers on Saturday or another day preceding the Divine Liturgy and has a Bible study during the service.

As has been mentioned before in a previous thread this bishop is very atypical. His garb is not traditional but taken from other Church traditions, so expect something that is not just Assyrian but a bit eclectic.

Last edited:

dqhall

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2015
Florida
Visit site
✟766,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0

The Liturgist

Traditional Liturgical Christian
Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟475,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Generic Orthodox Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
A friend @Andrewn had a question on how the Assyrian Church of the East covered the book of Revelation since that book did not make the canonical cut of their original canon known as the Peshitta.

Anyway if anyone else is interested in this kind of topic, I am posting a link to the verse teaching in the series covering the first few books.

Well looking at the video it looks like you get to see what an an Assyrian Church service is like in English. I guess this is a non-eucharist service, like when the Coptic Church does raising incense vespers on Saturday or another day preceding the Divine Liturgy and has a Bible study during the service.

As has been mentioned before in a previous thread this bishop is very atypical. His garb is not traditional but taken from other Church traditions, so expect something that is not just Assyrian but a bit eclectic.

I believe I mentioned before this bishop is not a part of the Assyrian Church of the East; he wears Syriac Orthodox vestments albeit in an unusual way, for example, the eskimo, the monastic hood (yes, thats actually the Syriac word for it) is not worn on the head in the typical manner.

There is a church in Australia that is a part of the Assyrian Church of the East but is not his church which has uploaded recordings of the Raza (liturgy, although the word actually translates to “mystery”) in English, which I have linked to before, I think.

• Informative
Reactions: Pavel Mosko
Upvote 0

disciple Clint

Mar 26, 2018
Pacific Northwest
✟208,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

Thanks

• Friendly
Reactions: Pavel Mosko
Upvote 0

Andrewn

CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Jul 4, 2019
-
✟681,411.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I believe I mentioned before this bishop is not a part of the Assyrian Church of the East;
There is a Wikipedia article about Mar Mari Emmanuel. He was Metropolitan bishop of the Ancient Assyrian Church of the East who presides over the Diocese of Australia and New Zealand. It looks like he has been defrocked but not excommunicated from the ACE. In January 2015, he established an independent church in Wakeley, a suburb of Sydney, Australia. His sermons are very insightful.

Mar Mari Emmanuel - Wikipedia

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Pavel Mosko

Arch-Dude of the Apostolic
Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2016
Boyertown, PA.
✟768,605.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I believe I mentioned before this bishop is not a part of the Assyrian Church of the East; he wears Syriac Orthodox vestments albeit in an unusual way, for example, the eskimo, the monastic hood (yes, thats actually the Syriac word for it) is not worn on the head in the typical manner.

There is a church in Australia that is a part of the Assyrian Church of the East but is not his church which has uploaded recordings of the Raza (liturgy, although the word actually translates to “mystery”) in English, which I have linked to before, I think.

Hey there! I disagree based on studying his background before. He is from the Ancient Assyrian Church of the East that broke away from the main body led by Mar Dinkah, after the assination of Mar Shimun in 1975.

Wikipedia is not the best source but they say

"Mari Emmanuel (born 19 July 1970) is an Iraqi-born Assyrian Australian Metropolitan bishop of the Ancient Assyrian Church of the East who presides over the ..."

If I recall he was put on some kind o disciplinary action from the Ancient Assyrians for a few different reasons but one of them was his liturgical practice obviously with his garb, and some of the other things he has inserted in the liturgy from other traditions.

Since then he has left that body..... and his few churches in Australia etc. are independent etc.

Upvote 0

Pavel Mosko

Arch-Dude of the Apostolic
Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2016
Boyertown, PA.
✟768,605.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
There is a Wikipedia article about Mar Mari Emmanuel. It looks like he has been defrocked but not excommunicated from the ACE. In January 2015, he established an independent church in Wakeley, a suburb of Sydney, Australia. His sermons are very insightful.

Mar Mari Emmanuel - Wikipedia

It should be noted that the Assyrians had a split going back to 1975. I found this whole thing surreal because of the story and where it happened San Jose CA (I got extended family there and in the region and never would expect this to be the epicenter of conflict), and the other circumstances around it that the patriarch took a wife.

One of the fun facts about the Assyrians is they experimented with married bishops and patriarchs in their distant past. And that was I think a big selling point to this church group I was in, my old bishop read that one passage out of the King James that a bishop should have "a wife" as a requirement and not as an allowance! (Back when having multiple wives was allowed). Of course bishop John Stanley came out of the German brethren and was a part of the Charismatic movement of the 1960s so this shouldn't be too surprising, he was an extremely happily married world war II vet looking for some kind of ancient body to join and still be a bishop back in the 1970s (When I was a Lutheran kid and unaware of any of this).

Anyway, this practice seems like it came about of centuries of being persecuted by the Zoroastrian Persian empire, where for a few centuries their patriarchs were being constantly assasinated. I think they gave it up before the end of the classical age or the start of the middle ages in the early 800s, because it led to a loss in church discipline, a general decline in spirituality etc.

Synod of Beth Lapat - Wikipedia

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Andrewn
Upvote 0