rome
✟13,442.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
I like to give some talking points to counter the so called preachers that are anti sinner's prayer.
Most of the well know preacher's even though they mean well use what you call a "straw man argument" to prove against it.
1. Easy believism? If it was easy then you would have the masses coming by the thousands. But on the contrary the wide road is more full of working around this then believing in Christ alone.
Even in the Gospels with all the miracles Jesus performed and healing the sick you still have people yet not believe.
2. It's not in the bible talking point? I could make lot's of talking points with scripture but I don't want a long drawn out debate. But to keep it in perspective romans 10:9 plus who so ever wall upon the lord shall be saved. The thief on the cross??? Think about it what if he said nothing would he be saved?
3. You can just recite a prayer and live like a devil and still be saved? Or aka fire insurance another straw man argument and the most used to undermine the good news of the gospel.
4. Dangerous doctrine? Another straw man argument
5. He'll is full of Christians because they prayed a prayer? Another straw man argument

But a talking point some agree on is "well some people do get saved that way but they meant it honestly". Kinds like you can be against it and at the same time be for it. Another one I hear is people coming to the alter so they can get saved by praying a prayer and not actually getting saved. That is about on par as a man dying of thirst and in need of water to survive and someone hands the guy a glass of ice tea. A switch-a-roo deal maybe he saved maybe he ain't saved.
Yeah yeah I get the message of some maybe not actually getting saved I get where some are coming from but 99% percent of the time it's out of touch to micro manage every thought, deed, purpose, intent, goal of everybody that comes to the truth to get saved "by the sinner's prayer". To me it seems like you want people to come to the Lord but but not like that. You want people to get saved but but you better not pray that prayer. You want disciples but but getting saved is the end goal.
This is my counter argument overall that hardly no one talks about. Can you just merely believe? What I mean by that is belief by association. I'm sure if I was a billionaire and offer one million dollars to any American that is of adult age that could tell me "who died on the cross?" I'm sure 99% could answer this with million dollars on the line. Does that make themselves a christian? Does that make them born again? Well that is belief right? Well actually no that is belief by association not a saving faith belief. Churches are full of guilty by association but not truly saved JW's, mormons to name a few.
Just think about it really well known tv evangelist not naming any here teaching against sinner's prayer. To me that is playing with fire seriously folks what Jesus doesnt need stumbling blocks for those to come to him. Why would God himself send Jesus to die for our sins on the cross and for Jesus to say on the cross "it is finished" to have access block for sinner's prayer because it's not the gospel way? To those preachers doing this really need to think hard on this you can't be wrong on this and say you're teaching biblical. I think the narrow road is flipped flopped the other way seriously we got the gospel so backwards now days it's no long preaching its just preachers debating talking points instead of the saving gospel itself.

I ask you this seriously:
Can people be good and still be saved?
Can people without Jesus still be saved?
Can the law save you?
Can the 10 commandments save you?
Can a church save you?
Denomination?
Upbringing?
Can a bad person be saved?
Can anyone be saved associated in some respect to Jesus like mental assent?

If Jesus is the author and finisher of our faith?
Is it in him and in him alone we have eternal life?
Is it true that we call open the Lord we will be saved?
Is he the bread of life?
Is he the water of everlasting life?
Did Jesus ask the disciples who do you say I am? And they responded You are the son of the living God?
Didn't the thief on the cross told Jesus to remember him?
The truth is a revelation to the heart of those who hear. We are saved because we believed by faith that some refer as saving faith because the truth is revealed to the heart. In response the heart of the person with gratitude will confess with the mouth romans 10:9.
What is not saving faith is mere belief by association. Going to church or a good KJ bible is not going to save you. Dressing well and singing a few hymns in church doesn't make no one a christian.
Can you just believe and not confess? Well let me ask you this can you get married and not recite the vows when asked? Do you take so and so for better or for worse sickness and in health and so on and instead of verbally answering you just stand there and not say anything? Of course not that is foolish but those who support the sinner's prayer are consider foolish also. The bible also speaks of the cross being foolish to those who perish. So when it comes to the gospel you gonna have stumbling blocks to the cross. If someone sincerely wants to get saved and God see's the heart and the motive we as a body of Christ can't put up road blocks to deny access. This to me is where too many preachers want their backs patted then see souls saved. They rather win talking points on doctrine then a soul being in heaven. They rather be seen and praised by others for their doctrines but spend countless times undermining sinner's prayer.
Can you believe and not say anything? A prayer? Confession of faith? Well....that is if the belief is a brain belief but the bible says it's in the heart that saved not the brain. If the heart believes the mouth will follow because we speak what we believe in our heart. Can someone be saved by mental assent? Association? Or we talking about dead rooted heart saving faith. If we talking about heart saving faith if y'all agree with this why so hard pressed against sinner's prayer. Its like someone can't have a slice of cake and also the whole cake argument but it comes across as something un-biblical.
I was watching a youtube video of the great preacher Billy Graham he lead maybe millions to Christ at his events. At the end of his sermon he invited people to come down also known as the alter call and he lead them into prayer. He also had those that those who did to repeat the prayer. Now you telling me this man of God is just a good Jim Jones pulling a fast one and nobody actually got saved. If you really think that you really need to re-think or repent you telling me just some? Maybe a few? Or those who meant it? Either God saved them or didn't. People hear the good news of the gospel in response they in desperation of a savior God draws them to himself they feel the calling they walk down to the alter and pray the sinners prayer for what?? Nothing they was fooled he was a false teacher? False converts???? Absolutely not!!! The only false converts are the ones the merely believed by association. Yeah the ones that went to the Billy Graham's event and didn't get saved there the ones that stayed seated. But wait but wait now we have preachers having this backwards and saying the ones stayed seated are the ones that are saved and the ones that went down to the alter are deceived. See my point??? The point is as a body of believers we can be our worst enemy by putting stumbling blocks by this senerio. What if there was an anti sinners prayer pastor at these Billy Graham's events trying to stop people from leaving their seats and walking to the alter to say the sinners prayer? Well this may sound like a stretch but in this day and age this is exactly what we see all the time on tv. Just watch some christian tv shows and they a full of them claiming the sinners prayer is bogus and encouraging people not to do it. They may be sincere they may mean well they may think they have some monopoly but when they do that they better make sure 100% sure just saying there is what the bible says "stumbling block" and I think too many Hollywood pastors take this too far and the gospel they preach is mixed grace and works.
The main point i'm making is we are saved by grace through faith. We believe that Jesus died on the cross and God raised him from the dead. The heart not the brain saved us. A true saving heart leads to confession of the mouth. We are born again not sort of or kinda or maybe or down the road or that's a starting point or turning a lead no we are truly saved eternally secured because he promised everlasting life not a maybe or sort of or at best a definite maybe no we have eternal life. It is crucial we as believers can't be wrong or be a stumbling block. We can't turn a blind eye and leave it to God we must work earnestly for the faith and present itself truthfully.
Thanks for everyone time this is just my counter arguments to the anti sinners prayer pastors. Not saying you are a bad pastor or a false teacher or mis-lead just see it from the lenses from those who see it differently.
Good day

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟834,158.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
I like to give some talking points to counter the so called preachers that are anti sinner's prayer.
Most of the well know preacher's even though they mean well use what you call a "straw man argument" to prove against it.
1. Easy believism? If it was easy then you would have the masses coming by the thousands. But on the contrary the wide road is more full of working around this then believing in Christ alone.
Even in the Gospels with all the miracles Jesus performed and healing the sick you still have people yet not believe.
2. It's not in the bible talking point? I could make lot's of talking points with scripture but I don't want a long drawn out debate. But to keep it in perspective romans 10:9 plus who so ever wall upon the lord shall be saved. The thief on the cross??? Think about it what if he said nothing would he be saved?
3. You can just recite a prayer and live like a devil and still be saved? Or aka fire insurance another straw man argument and the most used to undermine the good news of the gospel.
5. He'll is full of Christians because they prayed a prayer? Another straw man argument

But a talking point some agree on is "well some people do get saved that way but they meant it honestly". Kinds like you can be against it and at the same time be for it. Another one I hear is people coming to the alter so they can get saved by praying a prayer and not actually getting saved. That is about on par as a man dying of thirst and in need of water to survive and someone hands the guy a glass of ice tea. A switch-a-roo deal maybe he saved maybe he ain't saved.
Yeah yeah I get the message of some maybe not actually getting saved I get where some are coming from but 99% percent of the time it's out of touch to micro manage every thought, deed, purpose, intent, goal of everybody that comes to the truth to get saved "by the sinner's prayer". To me it seems like you want people to come to the Lord but but not like that. You want people to get saved but but you better not pray that prayer. You want disciples but but getting saved is the end goal.
This is my counter argument overall that hardly no one talks about. Can you just merely believe? What I mean by that is belief by association. I'm sure if I was a billionaire and offer one million dollars to any American that is of adult age that could tell me "who died on the cross?" I'm sure 99% could answer this with million dollars on the line. Does that make themselves a christian? Does that make them born again? Well that is belief right? Well actually no that is belief by association not a saving faith belief. Churches are full of guilty by association but not truly saved JW's, mormons to name a few.
Just think about it really well known tv evangelist not naming any here teaching against sinner's prayer. To me that is playing with fire seriously folks what Jesus doesnt need stumbling blocks for those to come to him. Why would God himself send Jesus to die for our sins on the cross and for Jesus to say on the cross "it is finished" to have access block for sinner's prayer because it's not the gospel way? To those preachers doing this really need to think hard on this you can't be wrong on this and say you're teaching biblical. I think the narrow road is flipped flopped the other way seriously we got the gospel so backwards now days it's no long preaching its just preachers debating talking points instead of the saving gospel itself.

Can the law save you?
Can a church save you?
Denomination?
Upbringing?

Is he the bread of life?
Did Jesus ask the disciples who do you say I am? And they responded You are the son of the living God?
The truth is a revelation to the heart of those who hear. We are saved because we believed by faith that some refer as saving faith because the truth is revealed to the heart. In response the heart of the person with gratitude will confess with the mouth romans 10:9.
What is not saving faith is mere belief by association. Going to church or a good KJ bible is not going to save you. Dressing well and singing a few hymns in church doesn't make no one a christian.
Can you just believe and not confess? Well let me ask you this can you get married and not recite the vows when asked? Do you take so and so for better or for worse sickness and in health and so on and instead of verbally answering you just stand there and not say anything? Of course not that is foolish but those who support the sinner's prayer are consider foolish also. The bible also speaks of the cross being foolish to those who perish. So when it comes to the gospel you gonna have stumbling blocks to the cross. If someone sincerely wants to get saved and God see's the heart and the motive we as a body of Christ can't put up road blocks to deny access. This to me is where too many preachers want their backs patted then see souls saved. They rather win talking points on doctrine then a soul being in heaven. They rather be seen and praised by others for their doctrines but spend countless times undermining sinner's prayer.
Can you believe and not say anything? A prayer? Confession of faith? Well....that is if the belief is a brain belief but the bible says it's in the heart that saved not the brain. If the heart believes the mouth will follow because we speak what we believe in our heart. Can someone be saved by mental assent? Association? Or we talking about dead rooted heart saving faith. If we talking about heart saving faith if y'all agree with this why so hard pressed against sinner's prayer. Its like someone can't have a slice of cake and also the whole cake argument but it comes across as something un-biblical.
I was watching a youtube video of the great preacher Billy Graham he lead maybe millions to Christ at his events. At the end of his sermon he invited people to come down also known as the alter call and he lead them into prayer. He also had those that those who did to repeat the prayer. Now you telling me this man of God is just a good Jim Jones pulling a fast one and nobody actually got saved. If you really think that you really need to re-think or repent you telling me just some? Maybe a few? Or those who meant it? Either God saved them or didn't. People hear the good news of the gospel in response they in desperation of a savior God draws them to himself they feel the calling they walk down to the alter and pray the sinners prayer for what?? Nothing they was fooled he was a false teacher? False converts???? Absolutely not!!! The only false converts are the ones the merely believed by association. Yeah the ones that went to the Billy Graham's event and didn't get saved there the ones that stayed seated. But wait but wait now we have preachers having this backwards and saying the ones stayed seated are the ones that are saved and the ones that went down to the alter are deceived. See my point??? The point is as a body of believers we can be our worst enemy by putting stumbling blocks by this senerio. What if there was an anti sinners prayer pastor at these Billy Graham's events trying to stop people from leaving their seats and walking to the alter to say the sinners prayer? Well this may sound like a stretch but in this day and age this is exactly what we see all the time on tv. Just watch some christian tv shows and they a full of them claiming the sinners prayer is bogus and encouraging people not to do it. They may be sincere they may mean well they may think they have some monopoly but when they do that they better make sure 100% sure just saying there is what the bible says "stumbling block" and I think too many Hollywood pastors take this too far and the gospel they preach is mixed grace and works.
The main point i'm making is we are saved by grace through faith. We believe that Jesus died on the cross and God raised him from the dead. The heart not the brain saved us. A true saving heart leads to confession of the mouth. We are born again not sort of or kinda or maybe or down the road or that's a starting point or turning a lead no we are truly saved eternally secured because he promised everlasting life not a maybe or sort of or at best a definite maybe no we have eternal life. It is crucial we as believers can't be wrong or be a stumbling block. We can't turn a blind eye and leave it to God we must work earnestly for the faith and present itself truthfully.
Thanks for everyone time this is just my counter arguments to the anti sinners prayer pastors. Not saying you are a bad pastor or a false teacher or mis-lead just see it from the lenses from those who see it differently.
Good day
The sinner's prayer would be of value to God if the person praying it then put into actual practice the promise he makes to God in it. If a person prays, "I repent of my sins" then he needs to actually repent. If he prays, "I commit my life to you" then he needs to go on and actually do it. So, it's not the prayer that saves him, it is the subsequent actions he takes according to the promises he makes to God in the prayer.

Upvote 0

Carl Emerson

Dec 18, 2017
Auckland
✟380,460.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Why do we despise simple beginnings?

Some children remember vividly the very day they prayed to Jesus and gave their heart and life to Him at the age of between 3 and 5. Several of mine did.

Decades later they look back and acknowledge this as the day of their salvation and the beginning of their journey with Jesus.

Upvote 0

A_Thinker

Site Supporter
Apr 23, 2004
Midwest
✟953,784.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Some children remember vividly the very day they prayed to Jesus and gave their heart and life to Him at the age of between 3 and 5. Several of mine did.

Decades later they look back and acknowledge this as the day of their salvation and the beginning of their journey with Jesus.
... because that's what it was ...

Luke 18

9 To some who were confident of their own righteousness and looked down on everyone else, Jesus told this parable:

10 “Two men went up to the temple to pray, one a Pharisee and the other a tax collector. 11 The Pharisee stood by himself and prayed: ‘God, I thank you that I am not like other people—robbers, evildoers, adulterers—or even like this tax collector. 12 I fast twice a week and give a tenth of all I get.’

13 “But the tax collector stood at a distance. He would not even look up to heaven, but beat his breast and said, ‘God, have mercy on me, a sinner.’

14 “I tell you that this man, rather than the other, went home justified before God. For all those who exalt themselves will be humbled, and those who humble themselves will be exalted.”

Upvote 0

Guojing

Apr 11, 2019
sg
✟217,941.00
Country
Singapore
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Can the law save you?
Can a church save you?
Denomination?
Upbringing?

Is he the bread of life?
Good day

Maybe you could define/state exactly what you regard as the content of that sinner's prayer?

Different people may have different views on that content.

Upvote 0

Peter J Barban

Mar 29, 2016
Taiwan
Visit site
✟97,847.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I only read the first paragraph of the OP. My only really Biblical complaint of the Sinner's Prayer is that many people use the prayer as a guarantee of salvation. They say, "Because you have prayed this prayer you are forever saved and you should never doubt it.

The problem is that God is the judge and he is looking at the heart, not the words of a prayer. I would counsel people to look for the fruit of the Spirit before confirming someone's salvation.

• Friendly
Reactions: Daniel Marsh
Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟907,158.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Can the law save you?
Can a church save you?
Denomination?
Upbringing?

Is he the bread of life?
Good day
At the end of the day, God reads the heart with or thout a sinners prayer. If they understand that they are a sinner and in need of a Savior.
Blessings

• Friendly
Reactions: Daniel Marsh
Upvote 0

Irkle Berserkle

Site Supporter
Dec 25, 2021
Arizona
✟16,206.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I came to Christ 52 years ago and spent my formative years knocking on dormitory and frat house doors and sharing the Four Spiritual Laws. I do believe that when I prayed the sinner's prayer in my own dorm room, alone and frankly astonished I was doing it, something supernatural occurred - the Holy Spirit entered into me. I now believe the strongest biblical position is not that I was saved in that instant but that the door to salvation opened in that instant. As a practical matter, I'm not sure either view would have made any real difference to my fumbling, stumbling Christian walk.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟722,379.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

Can the law save you?
Can a church save you?
Denomination?
Upbringing?

Is he the bread of life?
Good day

Only God knows the heart ... we do not know who is or isn't saved .... it is beyond our knowing ... saving is totally up to Jesus and yet we keep butting in and making "judgement calls" of who is or is not saved is futile. WE DO NOT KNOW and won't until He returns and that is the truth of the matter.

Upvote 0

Fervent

Sep 22, 2020
San jacinto
✟129,042.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
While I have no issues with the sinner's prayer, exactly, it is often presented in a way that reeks of superstition. It is the historic argument over the sacraments, as the objection is that the ritual elements have no bearing on salvation. The only difference is that the sacraments have Biblical support, while the sinner's prayer is something that is entirely extra-Biblical. The presentation of the sinner's prayer often treats it as a sort of magical encantation, say these words and you will be rewarded with salvation. And so some object to it because grace by faith is not in ritual superstitions. It may be instrumental in salvation for some, but the prayer itself is nothing more than words. Certainly the people who push the prayer often do not intend it in that manner but it is often how it is being presented since there is a heavy implication that the prayer itself is salvific.

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟834,158.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Why do we despise simple beginnings?

The significant principle was that your children after beginning their journey with Jesus carried on developing their spiritual lives into adulthood, obviously with your faithful parenting and guidance.

What I am talking about are those who pray the sinner's prayer and consider themselves totally saved without the transformation of heart and life that goes along with it. With many who pray the sinner's prayer, I can imagine God thinking, "Yeah, right. I'll believe it when they show they mean business with Me."

A good example of someone praying the sinner's prayer and then immediately showing a totally changed heart toward Christ is shown in the work of G. F. Dempster, especially in his book, "Finding Men For Christ."

Upvote 0

Carl Emerson

Dec 18, 2017
Auckland
✟380,460.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The significant principle was that your children after beginning their journey with Jesus carried on developing their spiritual lives into adulthood, obviously with your faithful parenting and guidance.

What I am talking about are those who pray the sinner's prayer and consider themselves totally saved without the transformation of heart and life that goes along with it. With many who pray the sinner's prayer, I can imagine God thinking, "Yeah, right. I'll believe it when they show they mean business with Me."

A good example of someone praying the sinner's prayer and then immediately showing a totally changed heart toward Christ is shown in the work of G. F. Dempster, especially in his book, "Finding Men For Christ."

OK - so the issue is sincerity of heart - not the prayer itself...

• Agree
Reactions: Saint Steven
Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟834,158.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
OK - so the issue is sincerity of heart - not the prayer itself...
I think so. I am currently reading Calvin's commentary on Isaiah. One interesting thing he says is that many do all the outward religious ceremonial stuff thinking that will be all that is necessary to be acceptable to God. He said this in response to God saying that He was wearied with all the sacrifices, ceremonies, new moons, etc. Calvin says that God is not impressed with these things. They don't mean anything to Him unless people are worshiping that way from their hearts and not just observing the outward appearances. For example, a person may observe a Saturday sabbath out of duty because that is the thing they do in his church. Another person from the same church observes the sabbath because he loves the Lord from his heart and wants to have the day in which he can honour the Lord and spend time fellowshiping with Him exclusively without distraction. Both men observe the same sabbath, but God turns His face away from the former, and freely enters into fellowship with the latter.

This is the difference between one person praying the sinner's prayer with his mouth, and another praying it with his heart. The prayer is totally correct in itself, in the same way that the Mosaic Law is totally holy and correct. But the difference is whether a person is praying just because it is what "our church does when someone becomes a Christian here", or whether he is sincerely lifting his heart to the Lord and is prepared to put his prayer into practice.

Reactions: Carl Emerson
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Guojing

Apr 11, 2019
sg
✟217,941.00
Country
Singapore
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
At the end of the day, God reads the heart with or thout a sinners prayer. If they understand that they are a sinner and in need of a Savior.
Blessings

I personally like the parable of the prodigal son to illustrate this point of yours.

Even though the prodigal son motivation for returning to the Father was incorrect, nevertheless, the Father did not care, and was so eager to accept him back.

Upvote 0

NWGeorgiaguy

Feb 10, 2020
rome
✟13,442.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
Thanks for everybody's input and comments they seem supportive and encouraging I understand some point of view of others. Like I read something that yeah it's all good if they live it out but I see the balance. I have no problem with that we all differ it's a cart before the horse or horse before the cart when It comes the living it out after the sinner's prayer.
What gets me I'm not naming or calling tv pastors or top notch evangelist out is the "the sinner's prayer is unbiblical and don't pray that prayer stop now!". This to me is dangerous territory and borderline "stumbling block" and it would put the church at conflict. To me it's like being a Trump supporter and Trump saying coronavirus is a hoax now you have people refusing vaccines that sort of thing. Donald Trump has his followings for sure some call it a "cult following" and it goes to far. I voted for him but I did get the vaccine but some are dead set to not take it at all. Sure I know I know there's gonna be plenty of people against the sinner's prayer I respect that 100% but I won't respect a tv pastor or well known pastor one that has enormous admiration and consider high ranked to be the " biggest critic" against the sinner's prayer. Nobody should have that kinda power and authority to make that call these pastors are just as powerful and influential as Donald Trump. If they say its unbiblical we don't question it at all it is the golden rule now. Just like the coronaviris is a hoax type of thing.
In my opinion you can be neutral and make a good case but leave the door open out of respect for others who may see things thru a different lenses.
I just think 1 or 2 pastors in america wants to pull the strings dominate theology and the rest has to follow and we don't question them.

Upvote 0

Saint Steven

You can call me Steve
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2018
Minneapolis, MN
✟930,146.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I think what you are calling the "fire insurance another straw man" is a serious concern. It has to do with fear being used to "get conversions".

This is contingent, of course, on the way the gospel was presented. Hellfire and brimstone preaching being the worst example.

It seems that the churches are half full of these fear-based conversions. They said the prayer they were asked to recite and show up once a month, or less, to polish a pew with their backside. They really are showing no signs of spiritual growth, or fruit in line with a changed life.

Upvote 0