An Alternative Interpretation to Time, Times, and Half a Time

Barraco

Jun 24, 2004
Minot, ND
Visit site
✟24,408.00
Faith
Christian
Greetings. I've been studying the Time, Times, and Half a Time mentioned in Daniel 7:25, Daniel 12:7, and Revelation 12:14. This is synonymous with the Times of the Gentiles, or the distress upon the people of Israel, mentioned in the Olivet Discourse of Matthew 24, Mark 13, and Luke 21. I also think it is synonymous with the 42 months that the mouth of the beast exercises authority in Revelation 13:5 and Jerusalem is trampled by Gentiles in Revelation 11:2.

Many interpret it to be 1,260 years or a literal 3.5 years. I have another interpretation to offer up.

1) Matthew 1:1-17 presents three sets of fourteen generations from Abraham to David to the Exile to Jesus.
2) Jesus explained that the generation hearing his prophecy during the Olivet Discourse would see the temple get destroyed.
3) Jesus was crucified around 30 CE and the temple was destroyed in 70 CE, making a generation to be 40 years, the same as the Israelites wandering the wilderness during the days of Moses.
4) 14 x 4 x 3.5 = 1,960 years
5) 1,960 years of Gentile rule + 70 CE when the temple was destroyed = 2030 CE.
6) Seven years from 2030 to account for the last seven in Daniel 9:27 = 2023 CE.

If my interpretation is correct, which I am always wary of placing dates, the Two Witnesses will start prophesying now and will be defeated in 3.5 years. Always watching, always evolving. Interested in hearing your thoughts, preferably on the merit of the interpretation rather than on what is commonly believed. Thanks in advance.

keras

Writer of studies on Bible prophecy
Feb 7, 2013
Thames, New Zealand
Visit site
✟294,035.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
I cannot accept any ideas about the 'time, times and half a time', other than it refers to three and a half orbits of the earth around the sun.

There is too much evidence; like the 42 months and 1260 days in Revelation.
It will be the second half of the final seven years of this age. The first half, will be peaceful, so isn't described in Prophecy.

Upvote 0

Douggg

anytime rapture, non-dispensationalist, futurist
May 28, 2009
Non-dispensationalist
✟359,905.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
The time, times, half times expression means nominally three and a half years. It could be a little less, or a little more, depending on the situation.

an example of "nominally", if you buy a piece of lumber - a 2x4 - if you were to measure it, it would not be 2 inches x 4 inches - but 1 1/2 inches by 3 1/2 inches.

The time expression 1260 days is the most precise. 42 months, a few days less. The time/times, half times more less than the 42 months.

The reason for this is in the details. That there are some aspects of bible events, that make, for example 1260 days not "exactly" equal to the time, times, half time.

In Revelation 12:6, the 1260 days is exactly half of a 2520 days 7 years. But in Revelation 12:14, the remainder is a time/times/half times.

Why so? Because between Revelation 12:6 and Revelation 12:14, there is the war in the second heaven - which takes up some time. We are not told hold much.

1260 days + the war in the second heaven time + the time, times, half time = 2520 days (7 years).

Not... 1260 days + the war in the second heaven time + 1260 days..... because that would be more than 2520 days

Upvote 0

Douggg

anytime rapture, non-dispensationalist, futurist
May 28, 2009
Non-dispensationalist
✟359,905.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
If my interpretation is correct, which I am always wary of placing dates, the Two Witnesses will start prophesying now and will be defeated in 3.5 years.
1260 days + 3 1/2 days + 42 months (1256 1/2 days) = 2520 days (the 7 years)

1260 days - the first half
3 1/2 days - in the second half
42 months - in the second half (1256 1/2 days)

The 42 months in Revelation 11:2 is the same 42 months in Revelation 13:5 that the beast king will rule, unimpeded by the two witnesses who will have left the world, called up to heaven.

You will not find the expression 3 1/2 years in the text of bible prophecy, btw. 3 1/2 years, 3.5 years is something that came about in discussions about the end times. But the term is not actually in the bible, in bible prophecy.

You would be better off saying instead - the first half, or the second half.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

RandyPNW

Jun 8, 2021
Pacific NW, USA
✟105,504.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Greetings. I've been studying the Time, Times, and Half a Time mentioned in Daniel 7:25, Daniel 12:7, and Revelation 12:14. This is synonymous with the Times of the Gentiles, or the distress upon the people of Israel, mentioned in the Olivet Discourse of Matthew 24, Mark 13, and Luke 21. I also think it is synonymous with the 42 months that the mouth of the beast exercises authority in Revelation 13:5 and Jerusalem is trampled by Gentiles in Revelation 11:2.

Many interpret it to be 1,260 years or a literal 3.5 years. I have another interpretation to offer up.

1) Matthew 1:1-17 presents three sets of fourteen generations from Abraham to David to the Exile to Jesus.
2) Jesus explained that the generation hearing his prophecy during the Olivet Discourse would see the temple get destroyed.
3) Jesus was crucified around 30 CE and the temple was destroyed in 70 CE, making a generation to be 40 years, the same as the Israelites wandering the wilderness during the days of Moses.
4) 14 x 4 x 3.5 = 1,960 years
5) 1,960 years of Gentile rule + 70 CE when the temple was destroyed = 2030 CE.
6) Seven years from 2030 to account for the last seven in Daniel 9:27 = 2023 CE.

If my interpretation is correct, which I am always wary of placing dates, the Two Witnesses will start prophesying now and will be defeated in 3.5 years. Always watching, always evolving. Interested in hearing your thoughts, preferably on the merit of the interpretation rather than on what is commonly believed. Thanks in advance.
I don't see the relevance of the factor "14" in your equation? Plus, as you say, it is dangerous to try to get too close to predicting future events in this way.

If we're to use a formula at all I should think the Millennial Day Theory holds more weight and contains better credibility? And if we follow the signposts given by Jesus we will be on better ground. He said, in the book of Revelation, that the rise of Antichrist and his formation, to be the major sign that his Kingdom is soon to come with judgment.

I would agree with you that Jesus made the destruction of the temple in his generation a very significant prophecy going forward. Obviously, it meant the end of Judaism under the literal Law, being that there would be no Temple, no Priests, and no Sacrifices. I do not support the idea of a rebuilt Jewish Temple, since NT teaching dismisses the Law as a legitimate legal system recognized by God. It is possible, however, that the Jews will try to rebuild their Temple. If so, I don't see the significance?

I don't believe the prophecy of the Great Distress of the NT era as being related to the "time, times and half a time," which I do believe is 3.5 years. Many Christians into popular eschatology believe the "Great Distress," mentioned by Jesus, is the Reign of Antichrist, whether 7 years or 3.5 years. However, as I keep pointing out, the reference to this period of time in the book of Revelation originates from the 3.5 years mentioned in Dan 7--not 7 years.

And the "Great Distress" originates from Dan 12.1--not the Reign of Antichrist. And Jesus, in Luke 21, makes it clear that the Great Distress merely began in 70 AD and actually ends on the last day of the age when he comes back to destroy Antichrist and his followers. But it's a valid subject. We just don't need mathematical formulas to know the end is near. Everything happening in the world today is screaming, "the end is near!" ;)

Upvote 0