St. Louis, MO.
✟374,149.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
I recently inherited a Smith & Wesson M & P .40 cal semi-auto from my wife's deceased brother-in-law. My only firearms experience was some target shooting many years ago with a .22 rifle. I've never fired a handgun. I have registered for a beginner handgun training course that includes some practice shooting. The only ammunition that came with the gun was 20 hollow point rounds that I understand are too expensive and not very suitable for beginner training. I was told that very cheap ammunition can misfire, foul the barrel, or cause other problems. So I have 2 questions:
1) Is there any brand that is of good quality, reliable, and not too expensive?
2) What would be the most I should spend at a retail gun shop for a box of .40 cal rounds suitable for practice shooting?

Thanks. Any advice is much appreciated.

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟380,259.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I recently inherited a Smith & Wesson M & P .40 cal semi-auto from my wife's deceased brother-in-law. My only firearms experience was some target shooting many years ago with a .22 rifle. I've never fired a handgun. I have registered for a beginner handgun training course that includes some practice shooting. The only ammunition that came with the gun was 20 hollow point rounds that I understand are too expensive and not very suitable for beginner training. I was told that very cheap ammunition can misfire, foul the barrel, or cause other problems. So I have 2 questions:
2) What would be the most I should spend at a retail gun shop for a box of .40 cal rounds suitable for practice shooting?

Look in the sporting goods department of your local chain retailer. You may find they have ammunition, even if they do not sell firearms. Compare prices.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟722,049.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

Box of 50 should run about $12-$15 per box. Since it's a S&W can't go wrong buying S&W ammo ... if you haven't you should clean the gun first.

Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
Wisconsin, United States of America
✟652,767.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single

Pretty much anything that is called FMJ (full metal jacket) would be best for practice and be lowest in price. If you stick with brands like Winchester, Federal, or other well-known brands that use brass casings, you'll be perfectly fine.

• Agree
Reactions: Darkhorse
Upvote 0

MarkRohfrietsch

Unapologetic Apologist
Site Supporter
Dec 8, 2007
✟828,768.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married

For what ever reason, we can buy ammo very reasonably here in Canada. Below is an example of what I would consider good practice ammo for .40 S & W:

upload_2019-10-24_6-24-3.png

That is $17.50 a box in Canadian Dollars so it should be about $13.38 USD/Box. I got a bunch of empty cases in a deal which is why I bought a .40; never fired a single factory load; always home loads. The blazer brass reloads just fine; and the guys who shoot the factory stuff say it's OK too.

Upvote 0

jayem

Naturalist
Jun 24, 2003
St. Louis, MO.
✟374,149.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Thanks to all for the advice. I bought 3 boxes of Sellier & Bellot FMJ rounds at about $18 each. The rounds are marked S &W, so I guess it’s made for my gun. I forgot to ask about hearing protection. I suppose the range furnishes that. I have some foam earplugs. Is that adequate, or is full earmuff type covering better?

Reactions: Darkhorse
Upvote 0

A Realist

Living in Reality
Dec 27, 2018
Georgia
✟67,536.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Thanks to all for the advice. I bought 3 boxes of Sellier & Bellot FMJ rounds at about $18 each. The rounds are marked S &W, so I guess it’s made for my gun. I forgot to ask about hearing protection. I suppose the range furnishes that. I have some foam earplugs. Is that adequate, or is full earmuff type covering better?
Foam earplugs are just fine as long as you insert them correctly.

• Agree
Reactions: MWood
Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
Wisconsin, United States of America
✟652,767.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single

Ear muffs are nice in that they're easier to use. They just slip on and off. Foam earplugs have to be pressed and twisted and then placed in the ear and allowed to expand (I'm referring to the disposable kind). Putting them in and taking them out frequently is a hassle, and they have to be replaced often. Muffs tend to last forever.
When in some situations, such as at indoor ranges where really loud guns are being fired, it's wise to use both at the same time. Even at an outdoor range, a guy next to me had a .300 Winchester Magnum. I was wearing muffs when he fired it the first time and my ears were ringing afterwards. I put in foam plugs before putting on the muffs for his next shots. I was ok after that. 95% of the time though, the muffs or plugs alone are enough at outdoor ranges.

Just FYI, the "S&W" part of .40 S&W doesn't designate which brand of gun it can be used in. It's only called that because it was a caliber developed by the company Smith and Wesson, but it can be fired in any .40 caliber firearm regardless of brand. Here's a full write-up on its history: .40 S&W - Wikipedia
Another example is the .45 auto, sometimes called .45ACP, which means Automatic Colt Pistol. However, many companies other than Colt make guns chambered for that round. Glock is one example: Four Glock .45 ACP Models to Make You Forget the 1911 - Pew Pew Tactical

For some more examples, here's a big list of rifle calibers. You'll notice that many of them were named for various gun companies that developed them: Full List of Rifle Calibers - Select the Right Caliber for You

Some seem to even be named for a person, or even a country where the caliber originated.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums