Texas
✟196,523.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Did the Early Church Fathers find any mortals left alive on the planet at the end of Matthew 25:31-46?

Even if some did, what exactly would that prove to you? You would still totally reject what they said, regardless.

If you really thought that it matters what some ECFs thought, especially chiliasts, then you would at least be considering what Justin Martyr had to say about the thousand years, rather than rejecting outright what he had to say about it. He for sure lived closer to the time of the apostles than we do. I'm confident he would have been well aware as to what those connected with John's book of Revelation, as in the ones that would have known John personally, would have been teaching about Revelation 20 at the time. And then what they were teaching they were teaching to others who were teaching to others, so on and so on, and by the time we get to Justin Martyr, the link hasn't been broken, that what he is then teaching is what they were teaching from the beginning.

• Informative
Reactions: Zao is life
Upvote 0

YeshuaFan

Oct 19, 2018
Macomb
✟56,324.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
And where is your evidence of this? How many manuscripts have you read and how many years have you undertaken reading those ancient docs? Or are you like most Premils who just repeat what they have been taught by those who who just repeat what they have been taught?
There were quite a few who held to a premil viewpoint!

• Agree
Reactions: friend of
Upvote 0

sovereigngrace

Dec 9, 2019
USA
Visit site
✟202,784.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
There were quite a few who held to a premil viewpoint!

I will take your avoidance that you have not researched this subject. I have! The vast number were non-millennialists.

• Winner
Reactions: BABerean2
Upvote 0

YeshuaFan

Oct 19, 2018
Macomb
✟56,324.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
And where is your evidence of this? How many manuscripts have you read and how many years have you undertaken reading those ancient docs? Or are you like most Premils who just repeat what they have been taught by those who who just repeat what they have been taught?
L partial listing of some of them
Papias (60-130)

Clement of Rome (90-100)

The Sherpherd of Hermas (96-150)

Ignatius of Antioch (98-117)

Barnabas (100)

The Didache (100-160)

Justin Martyr (110-165)

The Epistle of Barnabas (117-138)

Irenaeus (120-202)

Tertullian (145-220)

Hippolytus (185-236)

Cyprian (200-250)

Lactantius (260-330)

• Informative
Upvote 0

YeshuaFan

Oct 19, 2018
Macomb
✟56,324.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Even if some did, what exactly would that prove to you? You would still totally reject what they said, regardless.

If you really thought that it matters what some ECFs thought, especially chiliasts, then you would at least be considering what Justin Martyr had to say about the thousand years, rather than rejecting outright what he had to say about it. He for sure lived closer to the time of the apostles than we do. I'm confident he would have been well aware as to what those connected with John's book of Revelation, as in the ones that would have known John personally, would have been teaching about Revelation 20 at the time. And then what they were teaching they were teaching to others who were teaching to others, so on and so on, and by the time we get to Justin Martyr, the link hasn't been broken, that what he is then teaching is what they were teaching from the beginning.
They did not know anything of a Rapture, but they did see Jesus returning to then set up His Messianic Age!

Upvote 0

sovereigngrace

Dec 9, 2019
USA
Visit site
✟202,784.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
L partial listing of some of them
Papias (60-130)

Clement of Rome (90-100)

The Sherpherd of Hermas (96-150)

Ignatius of Antioch (98-117)

Barnabas (100)

The Didache (100-160)

Justin Martyr (110-165)

The Epistle of Barnabas (117-138)

Irenaeus (120-202)

Tertullian (145-220)

Hippolytus (185-236)

Cyprian (200-250)

Lactantius (260-330)

Where are your quotes? Where is your evidence?

• Winner
Reactions: BABerean2
Upvote 0

sovereigngrace

Dec 9, 2019
USA
Visit site
✟202,784.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

I'm not sure why you are mentioning Justin Martyr. He along with most of the early Chiliasts actually believed in a climatic coming of the Lord Jesus Christ. It was the Premil heretics that disagreed. One of the most notable things that we notice about early Chiliasm is that there is no teaching or allowance for corruption or rebellion in their future millennium. The early Chiliasts seemed to see the second coming as a climactic event that saw the end of sin, sinners and Satan. In this they were in unison with the ancient Amils, and also modern-day Amils and Postmils. This allowed them to portray their future millennium as a perfect pristine paradise.

Irenaeus teaches:

[A]ll the prophets announced his two advents: the one, indeed, in which He became a man subject to stripes, and knowing what it is to bear infirmity, and sat upon the foal of an ass, and was a stone rejected by the builders, and was led as a sheep to the slaughter, and by the stretching forth of His hands destroyed Amalek; while He gathered from the ends of the earth into His Father's fold the children who were scattered abroad, and remembered His own dead ones who had formerly fallen asleep, and came down to them that He might deliver them: but the second in which He will come on the clouds, bringing on the day which burns as a furnace? and smiting the earth with the word of His mouth? and slaying the impious with the breath of His lips, and having a fan in His hands, and cleansing His floor, and gathering the wheat indeed into His barn, but burning the chaff with unquenchable fire (Against Heresies Book IV, Chapter XXXIII, 1)

He argues:

The advent of Christ will therefore be without an object, yea, absurd, inasmuch as [in that case] He exercises no judicial power. For He came to divide a man against his father, and the daughter against the mother, and the daughter-in-law against the mother-in-law; and when two are in one bed, to take the one, and to leave the other; and of two women grinding at the mill, to take one and leave the other: [also] at the time of the end, to order the reapers to collect first the tares together, and bind them in bundles, and burn them with unquenchable fire, but to gather up the wheat into the barn; and to call the lambs into the kingdom prepared for them, but to send the goats into everlasting fire, which has been prepared by His Father for the devil and his angels (Against Heresies Book V, Chapter XXVII, 1)

Here we see the total destruction of the wicked at what is depicted as a climatic second coming. Irenaeus adds hard Scripture to his position to support his position:

For some of them [speaking of the Old Testament prophets], beholding Him in glory, saw His glorious life (conversationem) at the Father's right hand; others beheld Him coming on the clouds as the Son of man; and those who declared regarding Him, "They shall look on Him whom they have pierced," indicated His [second] advent, concerning which He Himself says, "Thinkest thou that when the Son of man cometh, He shall find faith on the earth?" Paul also refers to this event when he says, "If, however, it is a righteous thing with God to recompense tribulation to them that trouble you, and to you that are troubled rest with us, at the revelation of the Lord Jesus from heaven, with His mighty angels, and in a flame of fire." Others again, speaking of Him as a judge, and [referring], as if it were a burning furnace, [to] the day of the Lord, who "gathers the wheat into His barn, but will burn up the chaff with unquenchable fire," were accustomed to threaten those who were unbelieving, concerning whom also the Lord Himself declares, "Depart from me, ye cursed, into everlasting fire, which my Father has prepared for the devil and his angels." And the apostle in like manner says [of them], "Who shall be punished with everlasting death from the face of the Lord, and from the glory of His power, when He shall come to be glorified in His saints, and to be admired in those who believe in Him" (Against Heresies Book IV, Chapter XXXIII, 11.)

The Second Advent, described by Irenaeus above, shows Christ ‘burning the chaff with unquenchable fire' ensuring no mortals survivors. It is the time of the general judgement.

He submits:

[H]aving been received up in splendour, shall come in glory, the Saviour of those who are saved, and the Judge of those who are judged, and sending into eternal fire those who transform the truth, and despise His Father and His advent (Against Heresies Book III, Chapter IV).

This is a massive proof that Irenaeus saw the removal of corruption and the intro of incorruption altering at the coming of Christ. He backs that up by demonstrating that death and the devil are destroyed at this climactic event.

Hippolytus suggests:

And the unrighteous, and those who believed not God, who have honoured as God the vain works of the hands of men, idols fashioned (by themselves), shall be sentenced to this endless punishment. But the righteous shall obtain the incorruptible and unfading kingdom (Fragments of Hippolytus 1).

Justin emphatically states:

Shall He not on His glorious advent destroy by all means all those who hated Him, and who unrighteously departed from Him, but give rest to His own, rewarding them with all they have looked for? (Dialogue with Trypho, Chapter 121).

Upvote 0

BABerean2

Site Supporter
May 21, 2014
North Carolina
✟893,665.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

I used to believe the Premill doctrine, because those I trusted said it was the truth, even though most of what they told me about mortals living on the earth after the Second Coming is not in the Bible.

After a preacher showed me the Book of Revelation is not in chronological order, the Premill doctrine collapsed.

Nobody has ever been able to show me Jesus conducting funeral services for many years after His Second Coming.

There are two Jerusalems in the New Testament.
I know which one is my future home, and which one is the city of "bondage" in Galatians 4:24-31, and Revelation 11:8.

Those who understand the New Covenant are not looking for a rebuilt earthly temple, with renewed animal sacrifices, in earthly Jerusalem.

Heb 10:4 For it is not possible that the blood of bulls and of goats should take away sins.
Heb 10:5 Wherefore when he cometh into the world, he saith, Sacrifice and offering thou wouldest not, but a body hast thou prepared me:
Heb_10:6 In burnt offerings and sacrifices for sin thou hast had no pleasure.

Upvote 0

nolidad

Site Supporter
Jan 2, 2006
onj this planet
✟221,310.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Graduate of Dallas Theological Seminary, and former Dispensationalist, Dr. Sam Storms explains the Ammillennial understanding of the Second Coming of Christ.

Dr. Storms book "Kingdom Come", is an excellent resource for those who want the truth on this issue.

When a respected dispensational believer, especially one with creds from Dallas Theological, leaves the dispensational theology, amillenialists and covenant theology folks just go gaga! NOt that his mind change is true! But it does make great press and pretends to buttress there allegorical view of eschatology.

Dispensational hermeneutics is fallible (just like an allegorical hermeneutic) but is far better to correctly understand SCripture! Especially the end times and Gods fulfilling His promises to Israel.

• Agree
Upvote 0

sovereigngrace

Dec 9, 2019
USA
Visit site
✟202,784.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
When a respected dispensational believer, especially one with creds from Dallas Theological, leaves the dispensational theology, amillenialists and covenant theology folks just go gaga! NOt that his mind change is true! But it does make great press and pretends to buttress there allegorical view of eschatology.

Dispensational hermeneutics is fallible (just like an allegorical hermeneutic) but is far better to correctly understand SCripture! Especially the end times and Gods fulfilling His promises to Israel.

Multiple Bible students and theologians are changing. Only the stubborn and indoctrinated refuse to embrace the truth. Dispensationalism is on the ropes. They are now playing defense throughout the world.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

nolidad

Site Supporter
Jan 2, 2006
onj this planet
✟221,310.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Multiple Bible students and theologians are changing. Only the stubborn and indoctrinated refuse to embrace the truth. Dispensationalism is on the ropes. They are now playing defense throughout the world.

Care to cite your claim? I became a dispensational hermeneutic guy (versus and allegorical hermeneutic guy) based on researching both hereneutics and their varied eschatologies! I cam from a church thag was amillenial and allegorical. It didn't make sense then and doesn't now!

Dispensational theology has always been a minority viewpoint in the church. The covenant allegorical amillenial view of Rome has held sway for a long long time with many "protestant" churches.

I can't speak for people "around the world", but I am not on defense . One must remember that both dispensation hermeneutics and allegorica hermeneutics as well as dispensational and covenantal theologies are man made ways of understanding Scripture! Dispensational theology does far far less harm to the SCriptures than does covenant theology!

• Winner
Upvote 0

sovereigngrace

Dec 9, 2019
USA
Visit site
✟202,784.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Care to cite your claim? I became a dispensational hermeneutic guy (versus and allegorical hermeneutic guy) based on researching both hereneutics and their varied eschatologies! I cam from a church thag was amillenial and allegorical. It didn't make sense then and doesn't now!

Dispensational theology has always been a minority viewpoint in the church. The covenant allegorical amillenial view of Rome has held sway for a long long time with many "protestant" churches.

I can't speak for people "around the world", but I am not on defense . One must remember that both dispensation hermeneutics and allegorica hermeneutics as well as dispensational and covenantal theologies are man made ways of understanding Scripture! Dispensational theology does far far less harm to the SCriptures than does covenant theology!

Right from the ECFs through the Reformation, the covenanters, puritans, pilgrim fathers, Wesley, Edwards, Whitfield, and through till today, Amil has been the main view in Christendom. In America, where Bible knowledge is an inch thick and a mile wide, Dispensationalism prospers. I am from Northern Ireland. I have been a Pastor in the USA for over 12 years. There are many within the ministry that have turned in recent years. Bible Colleges are even changing from within. That change will be more pronounced within this next 10 years if the Lord tarries as these preachers are put on the front line.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

DavidPT

Sep 26, 2016
Texas
✟196,523.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'm not sure why you are mentioning Justin Martyr. He along with most of the early Chiliasts actually believed in a climatic coming of the Lord Jesus Christ. It was the Premil heretics that disagreed. One of the most notable things that we notice about early Chiliasm is that there is no teaching or allowance for corruption or rebellion in their future millennium. The early Chiliasts seemed to see the second coming as a climactic event that saw the end of sin, sinners and Satan. In this they were in unison with the ancient Amils, and also modern-day Amils and Postmils. This allowed them to portray their future millennium as a perfect pristine paradise.

This brings us back to the same argument we have been involved in the past when we were discussing these things. That being, apparently Justin Martyr did not have access to Revelation 20:7-10 at the time, then. That's what you seem to be arguing, or that you are arguing that Justin Martyr simply wasn't intelligent enough to see that if satan is cast into the lof at the 2nd coming, and the fact that he took the thousand years to be meaning after the 2nd coming, how he then thought satan would be able to fulfill his little season after the thousand years? Yet today, pretty much every single person alive, whether Premil or Amil has enough sense to realize that satan has to not already be in the lof before he fulfills verses 7-9, since it's at the end of that when he is cast into the lof.

This is pretty much what you are saying about Justin Martyr and his interpretation of the 2nd coming and the thousand years. When the 2nd coming happens, satan is cast into the lof at that time, followed by the thousand years, followed by the great white throne judgment. IOW, what about satan's little season after the thousand years? What about satan being in the pit during the thousand years rather than already in the lof?

How can he fulfill the little season if he is already in the lof at the beginning of the thousand years, assuming Justin Martyr's position? And not only that, I guess Revelation 20:1-3 was missing from Justin Martyr's Bible as well, or that maybe he simply wasn't intelligent enough to grasp that during the thousand years it records satan in the pit not the lof, therefore he can't be cast into the lof yet, if the thousand years follows the 2nd coming, except you have Justin Martyr having him already in the lof during the thousand years rather than in the pit like Revelation 20:1-3 has him.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

sovereigngrace

Dec 9, 2019
USA
Visit site
✟202,784.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
This brings us back to the same argument we have been involved in the past when we were discussing these things. That being, apparently Justin Martyr did not have access to Revelation 20:7-10 at the time, then. That's what you seem to be arguing, or that you are arguing that Justin Martyr simply wasn't intelligent enough to see that if satan is cast into the lof at the 2nd coming, and the fact that he took the thousand years to be meaning after the 2nd coming, how he then thought satan would be able to fulfill his little season after the thousand years? Yet today, pretty much every single person alive, whether Premil or Amil has enough sense to realize that satan has to not already be in the lof before he fulfills verses 7-9, since it's at the end of that when he is cast into the lof.

This is pretty much what you are saying about Justin Martyr and his interpretation of the 2nd coming and the thousand years. When the 2nd coming happens, satan is cast into the lof at that time, followed by the thousand years, followed by the great white throne judgment. IOW, what about satan's little season after the thousand years? What about satan being in the pit during the thousand years rather than already in the lof?

How can he fulfill the little season if he is already in the lof at the beginning of the thousand years, assuming Justin Martyr's position? And not only that, I guess Revelation 20:1-3 was missing from Justin Martyr's Bible as well, or that maybe he simply wasn't intelligent enough to grasp that during the thousand years it records satan in the pit not the lof, therefore he can't be cast into the lof if the thousand years follows the 2nd coming, except you have Justin Martyr having him already in the lof during the thousand years rather than in the pit like Revelation 20:1-3 has him.

This is a total cop-out and glaring admission that Premil only existed in heretical circles. When we look for the true origin of modern-day Premillennialism we arrive at two shadowy figures in early church history - Cerinthus of Asia Minor and Apollinarius of Laodicea. The first is Cerinthus who lived in the first century, who was a noted heretic. Cerinthus was from Western Asia Minor (now Turkey) and lived around A.D. 100. Cerinthus was a shady first-century figure who promoted his peculiar form of Judaic Christianity. Two issues that seem to stand out more than anything else in his writings are his heretical Gnostic beliefs and his eschatological Premillenialism. I am not saying Premil is heretical, it is not! Notwithstanding, both subjects are the focus of early church criticism of him.

The second was Apollinarius from the fourth century, who was also viewed as a heretic. He is believed to have departed from orthodoxy in his belief that divinity and humanity could not be united and reconciled in one person. He thought that Jesus did not have a human consciousness, but only a divine one. Apollinarius also came from Asia Minor, from the city of Laodicea in. He is said to have lived 310 AD - 390 AD. He too advocated Premillenialism.

These two seem to have been the first to formulate and propagate many of the main fundamentals of the school of thought that is popularly known today as Premillennialism.

Their ethos

Origen sums up the ethos of those that held to a future millennium saturated in mortals (including the wicked) and who promoted the return of the old covenant arrangement as “understand the divine Scriptures in a sort of Jewish sense.”

This is what modern Premils teach in their writings and advocate on this board today.

Christ reigning in an earthly millennial kingdom

Caius speaks of this early view as believing that “after the resurrection the kingdom of Christ will be set up on earth.”

Dionysius describes this future paradigm as “the kingdom of Christ will be an earthly one.”

He later expands, “For the doctrine inculcated by Cerinthus is this: that there will be an earthly reign of Christ.”

Jerome simply explains it as “an earthly reign of a thousand years.”

This is what modern Premils teach in their writings and advocate on this board today.

Centered in Jerusalem and ruling over the Gentiles

Gregory, Bishop of Nyssa, talks about lowering “men's hopes again to the Jerusalem below, imagining its rebuilding with stones of a more brilliant material.”

Origen speaking about those that follow Cerinthus, “imagining to themselves that the earthly city of Jerusalem is to be rebuilt.”

He continues, “they think that the natives of other countries are to be given them as the ministers of their pleasures, whom they are to employ either as tillers of the field or builders of walls, and by whom their ruined and fallen city is again to be raised up; and they think that they are to receive the wealth of the nations to live on, and that they will have control over their riches.”

Mortals

Caius exposed their belief of mortals living in Jerusalem after the second coming, saying: “the flesh dwelling in Jerusalem will again be subject to desires and pleasures.”

Gregory the Theologian, concludes: “for the sake of the flesh, they explain all the rest in a gross and carnal manner.”

Theodoret contends, “Those men create for themselves in imagination a period of a thousand years, and luxury that will pass, and other pleasures, and along with them.”

Marrying and procreation continue along with the abundance of surfeiting and gluttony

The early writers then put meat on the bones by describing what these heretics saw emanating from mortal life in the millennium.

Dionysius explains how Cerinthus “fancied that that kingdom would consist in those kinds of gratifications on which his own heart was set,-to wit, in the delights of the belly, and what comes beneath the belly, that is to say, in eating and drinking, and marrying.”

He then enlarges: “the pleasures of the body and altogether sensual in his nature, he dreamed that that kingdom would consist in those things which he desired, namely, in the delights of the belly and of sexual passion, that is to say, in eating and drinking and marrying.”

Basically, with the existence of mortality comes all the natural fleshly desires that come with that.

Origen similarly sums up their beliefs as “after the resurrection there will be marriages, and the begetting of children.”

He too enlarges, by saying, “the indulgence of their own desires and lusts, being disciples of the letter alone, are of opinion that the fulfilment of the promises of the future are to be looked for in bodily pleasure and luxury; and therefore they especially desire to have again, after the resurrection, such bodily structures as may never be without the power of eating, and drinking, and performing all the functions of flesh and blood.”

Augustine talks about this theology of these extremists as: “those who then rise again shall enjoy the leisure of immoderate carnal banquets.”

He continues: “furnished with an amount of meat and drink such as not only to shock the feeling of the temperate, but even to surpass the measure of credulity itself, such assertions can be believed only by the carnal.”

Gregory, Bishop of Nyssa, talks about the “gluttony of the Millennium.”

Caius condemns this alleged future millennium as “a period of a thousand years for marriage festivals.”

Resurrections

Gregory, Bishop of Nyssa informs us that they believe in “three Resurrections.”

Basil the Great describes their view as looking at “the resurrection, from a mythical, or rather Jewish, point of view.”

Sinners on the new earth

Origen confirms that they believed that the wicked continued into the millennium, albeit, they pay the consequences for their disobedience. These heretics believed that “they who serve the Lord shall eat and drink, but that sinners shall hunger and thirst; that the righteous shall be joyful, but that sorrow shall possess the wicked.”

Animal-sacrifices

Cerinthus of Asia Minor and Apollinarius of Laodicea promoted the restoration of the old covenant arrangement, believing that the earthly Jewish temple would be rebuilt, the old covenant Aaronic priesthood revived and sin offerings restarted.

Dionysius describes their millennial belief as a return to “festivals and sacrifices and the slaying of victims.”

Gregory, Bishop of Nyssa confirms that their theology maintained that “the Jewish animal-sacrifices shall be restored.”

Basil the Great explains how they believed that “we shall return again to the worship of the Law, be circumcised, keep the Sabbath, abstain from meats, offer sacrifices to God, worship in the Temple at Jerusalem, and be altogether turned from Christians into Jews.”

Gregory the Theologian criticized this school of thought that is now popular today in Premil as reintroducing “a second Judaism, a second circumcision, and a second system of sacrifices.”

Theodoret depicts their millennial kingdom as “sacrifices and Jewish solemnities.”

Conclusion

What I have discovered is that whilst the above is all widely-accepted standard Premil beliefs today, none of the early Chiliasts taught this. In fact, it seems like the early Chiliasts distanced themselves especially from Cerinthus. By the time of Apollinarius in the 4th century, Chiliasm was globally minuscule. Rather, the early Chiliasts held views that were more akin to modern-day Amil.

So here we have indisputable irrefutable proof that the origins of Modern-day-type Premil are not found in Holy Writ or Rev 20 but in apostate Judaism.

Last edited:
  • Useful
Reactions: Hank77
Upvote 0

Christian Gedge

Nov 29, 2017
Waikato
Visit site
✟227,210.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Right from the ECFs through the Reformation, the covenanters, puritans, pilgrim fathers, Wesley, Edwards, Whitfield, and through till today, Amil has been the main view in Christendom. In America, where Bible knowledge is an inch thick and a mile wide, Dispensationalism prospers. I am from Northern Ireland. I have been a Pastor in the USA for over 12 years. There are many within the ministry that have turned in recent years. Bible Colleges are even changing from within. That change will be more pronounced with this next 10 years if the Lord tarries as these preachers are put on the front line.
Lol SG, ^_^ For a moment I thought “inch thick and mile wide“ was referring to the Irish dialect, then I realised you meant the US Bible Belt.

hmmm yes, I believe you’re right. There are big changes afoot. Even Dallas theological seminary now has a wing of people who call themselves, ‘progressive’ dispensationalists - an improvement at least.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

sovereigngrace

Dec 9, 2019
USA
Visit site
✟202,784.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Lol SG, ^_^ For a moment I thought “inch thick and mile wide“ was referring to the Irish dialect, then I realised you meant the US Bible Belt.

hmmm yes, I believe you’re right. There are big changes afoot. Even Dallas theological seminary now has a wing of people who call themselves, ‘progressive’ dispensationalists - an improvement at least.

I have inside info that there is a growing band of Amils. I got this from a discouraged Dispy who is very much in the know.

Upvote 0

nolidad

Site Supporter
Jan 2, 2006
onj this planet
✟221,310.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Right from the ECFs through the Reformation, the covenanters, puritans, pilgrim fathers, Wesley, Edwards, Whitfield, and through till today, Amil has been the main view in Christendom. In America, where Bible knowledge is an inch thick and a mile wide, Dispensationalism prospers. I am from Northern Ireland. I have been a Pastor in the USA for over 12 years. There are many within the ministry that have turned in recent years. Bible Colleges are even changing from within. That change will be more pronounced with this next 10 years if the Lord tarries as these preachers are put on the front line.

Well several church Fathers were amill. Most accepted John at His word and believe Jesus is literally returning to establish a literal kingdom that will last a literal 1,000 years. That is what teh Bible says. Amillenialism in its ever foolish hermeneutic loves to tell people something like this: "Well we know the Bible says 1,000 years, but it really doesn't mean 1,000 years". And then go play the game twister to try to defend that in its plethora of different amillenial definitions.

Yes amillenial though twas the standard from the end of the fourth century till the 1800's It was popularized by Augustine, adopted by the sect that become th eRome church and dragged Europe into the dark ages. The reformation brought th ebible to light and it took a while to first establish sound doctrines that the Roman sect twisted and turned.

But as the time of the end drew near as foretold in Daniel 12:
8 And I heard, but I understood not: then said I, O my Lord, what shall be the end of these things?

9 And he said, Go thy way, Daniel: for the words are closed up and sealed till the time of the end.

Lo and behold eschatology became more and more studied and a dispensational hermeneutic was born to firght the errors of the allegorical hermeneutic which still had a death grip on so many sects of the church!

Just remember amillenialists and allegorists have laughed and mocked since the late 1800's when dispensational believers declared God would return Israel to the Lnad! that is now history and I laugh heartily at the amazing twisitng of Gods Word by so many "theologians" to try to show that Israel as a nation again is just a coincidence!

Tiem will showthat a dispensational eschatology is the best eschatology to understand the prophecies that have yet come to pass.

Upvote 0

nolidad

Site Supporter
Jan 2, 2006
onj this planet
✟221,310.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Well progressive dispensationalism is just a tweaking of historical dispensationalism. They still hold to the standard dispensation eschatiology held by Pentecost, Walvoord, Ryrie, and Fruchtenbaum! Most of it is more semantics than real substance.

Upvote 0

sovereigngrace

Dec 9, 2019
USA
Visit site
✟202,784.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Well several church Fathers were amill. Most accepted John at His word and believe Jesus is literally returning to establish a literal kingdom that will last a literal 1,000 years. That is what teh Bible says. Amillenialism in its ever foolish hermeneutic loves to tell people something like this: "Well we know the Bible says 1,000 years, but it really doesn't mean 1,000 years". And then go play the game twister to try to defend that in its plethora of different amillenial definitions.

Yes amillenial though twas the standard from the end of the fourth century till the 1800's It was popularized by Augustine, adopted by the sect that become th eRome church and dragged Europe into the dark ages. The reformation brought th ebible to light and it took a while to first establish sound doctrines that the Roman sect twisted and turned.

But as the time of the end drew near as foretold in Daniel 12:
8 And I heard, but I understood not: then said I, O my Lord, what shall be the end of these things?

9 And he said, Go thy way, Daniel: for the words are closed up and sealed till the time of the end.

Lo and behold eschatology became more and more studied and a dispensational hermeneutic was born to firght the errors of the allegorical hermeneutic which still had a death grip on so many sects of the church!

Just remember amillenialists and allegorists have laughed and mocked since the late 1800's when dispensational believers declared God would return Israel to the Lnad! that is now history and I laugh heartily at the amazing twisitng of Gods Word by so many "theologians" to try to show that Israel as a nation again is just a coincidence!

Tiem will showthat a dispensational eschatology is the best eschatology to understand the prophecies that have yet come to pass.

Amil was the preeminent view among the ECFs. Non of them were Dispensatanists.

And, by the way, where is your evidence of this? How many manuscripts have you read and how many years have you undertaken reading those ancient docs? Or are you like most Premils who just repeat what they have been taught by those who who just repeat what they have been taught?

Upvote 0

sovereigngrace

Dec 9, 2019
USA
Visit site
✟202,784.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Well progressive dispensationalism is just a tweaking of historical dispensationalism. They still hold to the standard dispensation eschatiology held by Pentecost, Walvoord, Ryrie, and Fruchtenbaum! Most of it is more semantics than real substance.

That shows how biased you are. They are closer to Covenant Theologians by their own confession.

Upvote 0