Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I noticed there was no discussions of Amillennialism and I wanted to strike up a conversation about it. Being a catholic covert from evangelicalism I was raised believing dispensationalism, the rapture & tribulation etc. Now that I'm catholic I see that these teachings are rather new innovations and have no foundation in historical christian teachings. For those who aren't familiar, Amillennialism teaches that we are currently living in the 'millennial' reign of Christ and that he will come again at some future point known only to the Father. So, no dispensations, no rapture, just one return and final judgement (isn't that simple?). Amillennialism is the eschatology shared by the Catholic & Orthodox churches as well as many mainline protestant churches.

TribulationSigns

Site Supporter
Dec 19, 2017
Colorado
✟415,058.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I am amillennialist, however, the amillennial view was developed in 400 A.D. by St. Augustine who was not Catholics. His doctrine has caused a stir that the Roman Catholic Church has decided to ADOPTED it as their own in 431 A.D. at the council of Ephesus. Roman Catholic Church adopted it under the false impression that it was their "Holy Church" as the fulfilment the kingdom promises in the Bible, and therefore it had the right to rule over all the nations of the earth. RCC is not God's True Church and their amillennial doctrine isn't biblical yet many premillennial claims that the amillennial view is the invent of catholic which is not true. There is biblical amillennial view, which has NOTHING to do with RCC, out there that I hold. Here is a good read below:

Amillennialism: A Word Direct From The Scriptures

Reactions: jgr
Upvote 0

jgr

Site Supporter
Feb 25, 2008
✟783,767.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I am amillennialist, however, the amillennial view was developed in 400 A.D. by St. Augustine who was not Catholics. His doctrine has caused a stir that the Roman Catholic Church has decided to ADOPTED it as their own in 431 A.D. at the council of Ephesus. Roman Catholic Church adopted it under the false impression that it was their "Holy Church" as the fulfilment the kingdom promises in the Bible, and therefore it had the right to rule over all the nations of the earth. RCC is not God's True Church and their amillennial doctrine isn't biblical yet many premillennial claims that the amillennial view is the invent of catholic which is not true. There is biblical amillennial view, which has NOTHING to do with RCC, out there that I hold. Here is a good read below:

Amillennialism: A Word Direct From The Scriptures
Amillennialism was present long before the RC church.

From Justin Martyr (100 - 165 AD):

"I admitted to you formerly, that I and many others are of this opinion [i.e., premillennialism], and [believe] that such will take place, as you assuredly are aware; but, on the other hand, I signified to you that many who belong to the pure and pious faith, and are true Christians, think otherwise."

He was referring to amils, confirming their presence in the historical true Church long before Augustine, and characterizing them as pure, pious, and true Christians.

Both amils and historic (also known as classic) premils fellowshipped amicably in the historical Church, and still do. Eschatologically, their only significant difference is the interpretation of the millennial reign.

This is in marked contrast to dispensational premillennialism.

Upvote 0

LastSeven

Amil
Site Supporter
Sep 2, 2010
Edmonton, Alberta
✟154,576.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I noticed there was no discussions of Amillennialism and I wanted to strike up a conversation about it. Being a catholic covert from evangelicalism I was raised believing dispensationalism, the rapture & tribulation etc. Now that I'm catholic I see that these teachings are rather new innovations and have no foundation in historical christian teachings. For those who aren't familiar, Amillennialism teaches that we are currently living in the 'millennial' reign of Christ and that he will come again at some future point known only to the Father. So, no dispensations, no rapture, just one return and final judgement (isn't that simple?). Amillennialism is the eschatology shared by the Catholic & Orthodox churches as well as many mainline protestant churches.
Actually there's been quite the discussion on amillenialism on this thread: Millennial Considerations
but there's always room for one more. ;)

Upvote 0

Christian Gedge

Nov 29, 2017
Waikato
Visit site
✟227,210.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I think the term ‘amillenial’ is used more by Protestants but yes, it has been basically the view of the Church since Augustine.

However, it would be a mistake to think the Catholic Church has consistently taught a ‘one true’ end time doctrine. There have always been loopy prophetic ideas in the Church, and the Catholics have been just as bad as anyone else when it comes to it.

Hopefully, Christians everywhere will improve their eschatology and move toward the amill position. It is the sensible view IMO.

Upvote 0