Americans overtreated to death; hospitalizations for last 6 months of life.........

Johnboy60

Looking For Interesting News.
Dec 28, 2003
Tennessee
✟306,929.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Americans overtreated to death; hospitalizations for last 6 months of life are on the rise.

For the first time in months, she was able to touch her 2-year-old daughter who had been afraid of the tubes and machines in the hospital. The little girl climbed up onto her mother's bed, surrounded by family photos, toys and the comfort of home. They shared one last tender moment together before Vandenberg slipped back into unconsciousness.

Americans overtreated to death; hospitalizations for last 6 months of life are on the rise - 6/27/2010 11:02:26 PM | Newser

Umaro

Senior Veteran
Dec 22, 2006
✟13,505.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
As terrible as this sounds, we in America really need to understand that sometimes people die, and paying thousands for them to get a month extra just isn't worth it. Sadly, our culture refuses to follow the basic idea that not everyone should be saved, and its breaking our system.

Upvote 0

JCFantasy23

In a Kingdom by the Sea.
Jul 1, 2008
Lakeland, FL
✟502,107.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
As terrible as this sounds, we in America really need to understand that sometimes people die, and paying thousands for them to get a month extra just isn't worth it. Sadly, our culture refuses to follow the basic idea that not everyone should be saved, and its breaking our system.

Agreed. I think it's less traumatic for the ill, but also for their loved ones and families, to have the loved one pass away at home rather than a sterile hospital. Not always the option however.

Upvote 0

Foolish_Fool

Wanderer
Jun 3, 2006
Here
✟19,855.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
It's easy to say these things in retrospect, but the simple fact is that people don't want to die. If there's a small chance of survival, most people will take it. As medicine improves, there are more chances that something will work. It used to be that if the first few attempts failed, that was it. Now there are so many things to try that you'll die before attempting them all.

If left up to the individual, things will continue to get worse as medicine improves. There should definitely be a cut off limit for medicare because people won't go down without a fight. Sometimes the corner has to throw in the towel.

Upvote 0

USincognito

a post by Alan Smithee
Site Supporter
Dec 25, 2003
Dallas
✟871,791.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private

I think you could have phrased that last sentence a bit more elegantly, but otherwise I agree.

My father faught his cancer long after it was clear he was going to lose and I would never do the same.

Upvote 0

Catherineanne

Sep 1, 2004
Europe
✟76,860.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Widowed
Agreed. I think it's less traumatic for the ill, but also for their loved ones and families, to have the loved one pass away at home rather than a sterile hospital. Not always the option however.

A friend of mine is a very experienced nurse. She told me when an uncle of mine was very ill (pvs) following a stroke, that he would live longer if taken home, than if left in hospital. I told my parents this, and they were horrified, and told me not to say anything of this to his wife. I don't know why, but they thought it was really unkind to suggest taking him home. But we all knew he was going to die; that was clear. :confused:

If it had been my dad, he would have been brought home, with appropriate palliative care. Even if it resulted in a shorter life, by days or even weeks, surely it would be much more peaceful, and far more dignified for all concerned.

I think we forget that we all must die one day, and that medicine can delay that, but it cannot actually prevent it. We live as if death can be eliminated from our existence, but it can't. We also live as if a day gained in the life of a terminal person is a blessing, but again, this is not always the case. Doctors have to focus on saving life for as long as they reasonably can, but sometimes I think they go over a line in doing this, perhaps because admitting defeat is too difficult until they really have no choice.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Catherineanne

Sep 1, 2004
Europe
✟76,860.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Widowed
My father faught his cancer long after it was clear he was going to lose and I would never do the same.

I agree. A very dear school friend of mine had surgery, after she was told that without it she would lose 40 years of her life. I advised her to ask whether she would get those 40 years back if she had the surgery, but I don't know if she ever did ask. She had the surgery, and then lived in significantly increased pain for a further year, and then died anyway. I learned a lot from talking with her.

Far better, imo, if the first and perhaps even second treatment does not work, to accept that the end is coming, and to spend that last year with family and friends, accomplishing everything that you can think of that remains to be accomplished.

Strangely enough, I was the only person she knew who was willing to talk about death and dying with her. We both had a faith, and so neither of us was afraid to talk about death, and what it means. I can't imagine trying to prepare to die, surrounded by people who keep changing the subject whenever you mention it, or saying, 'you are not going to die', when you know full well that you are, if not today, then some time soon.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

katautumn

Prodigal Daughter
May 14, 2015
Atlanta, GA
✟24,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
A friend of mine is a very experienced nurse. She told me when an uncle of mine was very ill (pvs) following a stroke, that he would live longer if taken home, than if left in hospital.

I think there is a lot of truth to that. My neighbor had lung cancer after smoking four packs a day (yes, four packs a day) since he was twelve. It's amazing he lived to be seventy. Anyway, he had terrible coughing spells and some rough days, but all in all his spirits were good - until his wife and daughters decided he was simply "too sick" to do anything and they called hospice and had them bring a medical bed. They made him lie in that hospital bed in their living room, hooked up to oxygen all day long. It depressed him terribly. They kept him doped up on Morphine and he died two weeks later. I really think had they not helped him put that first foot in the grave he might have lived a bit longer.

Upvote 0
P

Protocol11

Not exactly an easy thing to go though. It's rarely a viable option.

Me, I get to the point I can't even wipe my own bum because I'm too decrepid, just give me a gun. I know I'll never get too weak to pull a trigger. Just might need help aiming it.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

RedDead1981

Prayer is beautiful when it's sincere
Jul 4, 2010
✟14,181.00
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
A little story...

My wife is a nurse at a local nursing home. A good number of the patients she treats are terminal, but many are of relatively sound body but have broken down mentally. A few weeks ago she was toileting a woman who had dementia and spent nearly all of her time awake babbling nonsense or weeping. All of the sudden the woman stopped, looked my wife dead in the eye and said clearly "Can I please die now?" My wife had to take a break to cry her eyes out in the break room.

We give our animals more dignity in death than we do our own people. It's disgusting.

Upvote 0