Site Supporter
May 15, 2007
Land O' 10,000 Lakes
✟84,030.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
This was awful news to us. I've never met him, but he was kind enough to correspond with my son for a bit, when he was considering doing SEALS.

Sarah Palin and her family knew him pretty well, so of course the nutters are already coming out of the woodwork.

Upvote 0

USincognito

a post by Alan Smithee
Site Supporter
Dec 25, 2003
Dallas
✟871,701.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
i read about this and wondered if an experienced combat veteran attempted to defuse an agitated man at the range but misread the situation. i can think of a few scenarios that could have gone down considering ptsd.

D-FW media are closest to the situation and from what I was able to catch this morning, precise details of the event are still sketchy.

Sarah Palin and her family knew him pretty well, so of course the nutters are already coming out of the woodwork.

Care to expand on this? As soon as I saw the breaking news on KDFW here in Dallas, I knew the Conservosphere would erupt with conspiracy mongering. Sadly the majority didn't disappoint, but I found many voices of reason and simple condolence. Haven't checked Daily Kos or Democratic Underground yet to see what they are saying.

As I noted in the OP, reading some of the comments about this tragedy on the Internet has further eroded my faith in humanity. :(

Upvote 0

Lilly Owl

Since when is God's adversary a curse word here?
Dec 23, 2012
✟2,609.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
:( God rest the soul. He survived the enemy only to come home and be murdered on American soil.

Meet Eddie Routh 25, the alleged murderer of Mr.Kyle and another man.
80b670be85933cfba75ad69f09fee091x300.jpg

I hope he has a very good time in jail. :)

Upvote 0

lordbt

$
Feb 23, 2007
Mentor, Ohio
✟19,508.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
Right. It's only liberals that are making soul-crushing comments on news stories and blog entires regarding this story. :doh:
Perhaps he was just countering the fact that you only managed to mention the "Conservosphere" in your criticism of the responses so far. He probably should have just responded by saying:
"Right. It's only conservatives that are making soul-crushing comments on news stories and blog entires regarding this story. :doh:"

Upvote 0

AirPo

with a Touch of Grey
Oct 31, 2003
✟169,357.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Perhaps he was just countering the fact that you only managed to mention the "Conservosphere" in your criticism of the responses so far. He probably should have just responded by saying:
"Right. It's only conservatives that are making soul-crushing comments on news stories and blog entires regarding this story. :doh:"

Only? Perhaps you missed this part ...

but I found many voices of reason and simple condolence. Haven't checked Daily Kos or Democratic Underground yet to see what they are saying.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

cam44

Jan 2, 2013
Endor heading to Pandora
✟1,138.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Live by the gun, die by the gun.
Many people are required to use a gun that are very brave and good people (police, soldiers ...). They do a job confronting evil and pay a heavy price; sometimes immediately and apparent to all (injured/killed), sometimes much later it erodes their personal life (ptsd).

Because he used a gun in his job to save countless other servicemen in no way justifies any harm to this man, husband and father - to suggest any justification for this murder is a foul, foul thing to do. The judgement you have passed on this man will be the same judgement you receive ... be careful ...

Upvote 0

JCSr

Gunshine State
Sep 6, 2012
✟11,486.00
Faith
Agnostic
Politics
US-Democrat
Many people are required to use a gun that are very brave and good people (police, soldiers ...). They do a job confronting evil and pay a heavy price; sometimes immediately and apparent to all (injured/killed), sometimes much later it erodes their personal life (ptsd).

Because he used a gun in his job to save countless other servicemen in no way justifies any harm to this man, husband and father - to suggest any justification for this murder is a foul, foul thing to do. The judgement you have passed on this man will be the same judgement you receive ... be careful ...

is not a judgement -

but a truth in this circumstance. Sorry if you cannot see the irony that this man who made a living sniping people from long range is murdered by a man with a gun.

Then again, I don't kill people for a living. My conscience is clean.

Who says the people sniped to death by this murdered sniper were evil? Did you look into their hearts and see the evil? Can you even name one of the people?

Upvote 0

cam44

Jan 2, 2013
Endor heading to Pandora
✟1,138.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married

is not a judgement -

but a truth in this circumstance. Sorry if you cannot see the irony that this man who made a living sniping people from long range is murdered by a man with a gun.

Then again, I don't kill people for a living. My conscience is clean.

Who says the people sniped to death by this murdered sniper were evil? Did you look into their hearts and see the evil? Can you even name one of the people?
I don't know the names or the hearts of those he killed, just as I don't know as a result of those killings how many, the names and the hearts of those he saved - this is just speculation.
He was in a position to assume the orders he had been given and the people that he killed would result in saving other lives. If the war is unjust, or his orders (or the intelligence that resulted in those orders) were unjust - these are not his crimes.
You can take issue with the political reasons for the war, and bad decisions made many levels above this man - but this man was a soldier doing his duty. If he would have been killed-in-action, that was a price he was willing to accept as part of his duty, and perhaps you can say that a soldier killed in combat 'lived by the gun and died by the gun'.
To be murdered back on American soil by a non-combatant with a gun, although is ironic, was in no way justified because he 'lived by the gun'.

Upvote 0

JCSr

Gunshine State
Sep 6, 2012
✟11,486.00
Faith
Agnostic
Politics
US-Democrat
I don't know the names or the hearts of those he killed, just as I don't know as a result of those killings how many, the names and the hearts of those he saved - this is just speculation.
Then how do you know they are evil? Perhaps you can understand that your speculation is the same speculation that makes you think I am judging somebody?

He was in a position to assume the orders he had been given and the people that he killed would result in saving other lives.
How do you know it saved lives? Isn't it more accurate to say that it MAY have saved lives?
If the war is unjust, or his orders (or the intelligence that resulted in those orders) were unjust - these are not his crimes.
Who is talking about crimes?
You can take issue with the political reasons for the war, and bad decisions made many levels above this man - but this man was a soldier doing his duty. If he would have been killed-in-action, that was a price he was willing to accept as part of his duty, and perhaps you can say that a soldier killed in combat 'lived by the gun and died by the gun'.
To be murdered back on American soil by a non-combatant with a gun, although is ironic, was in no way justified because he 'lived by the gun'.
You live by the gun, you die by the gun, is fitting. I never tried to justify anything. That is you assuming.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

cow451

Standing with Ukraine.
Site Supporter
May 29, 2012
Hot and Humid
✟1,120,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It's a tragedy on so many levels. An accomplished (way more than most) veteran is murdered (allegedly, in the legal sense) by another vet he was reportedly trying to help. Kyle founded and ran a veterans support program that focused on exercise and support groups.

People need to consider that using weapons in a "therapeutic" or "rehab" is potentially dealy. Some people are simply too unstable to have firearms under any circumstance. It is simply not worth the risk. It's not clear what happened or why the killer acted. At least he is aklive and may be able to fill in some gaps on thei tragedy.

Chris Kyle leaves behind a family that had already given far more than their share to the nation as Kyle had done four tours in Iraq.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Rion

Annuit Cœptis
Site Supporter
Oct 26, 2006
Nebraska
✟419,198.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Nice. Thanks for posting that. I wish I could say I was Ron Paul, unfortunately it appears that some think that I am some evil hero hater who comes in judgement of the gunman....

I wasn't exactly praising Ron Paul there...

Upvote 0