Visit site
✟16,518.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
How much money was spent on those rapture billboards again?

Ill say it again. Christians don't need to be in the billboard business. Period! That said,atheists,if what they say is true that no one is recruiting for atheism, shouldn't be putting up billboards either. What's the point in their billboards except to offend?? David Silverman says its to get the atheists that are in the church pews out of the church. Really??? Your $20,000 billboard that says "keep the merry,dump the myth" is going to accomplish that??

Upvote 0
A

Adaephon

Ill say it again. Christians don't need to be in the billboard business. Period! That said,atheists,if what they say is true that no one is recruiting for atheism, shouldn't be putting up billboards either. What's the point in their billboards except to offend?? David Silverman says its to get the atheists that are in the church pews out of the church. Really??? Your $20,000 billboard that says "keep the merry,dump the myth" is going to accomplish that??

Atheists are hardly some monolithic group. This is more or less the equivalent of what some atheists do when they blame all Christians for groups like Westboro.

Upvote 0

JCFantasy23

In a Kingdom by the Sea.
Jul 1, 2008
Lakeland, FL
✟502,107.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
People of religion try to spread it, celebrate it, or give to it. Atheists making a billboard announcing and celebrating have no faith at all makes no sense to me. Why would they care to do this when they are putting up a billboard about having faith in nothing? Is there a point to do that?

Reactions: Tnmusicman
Upvote 0

DerSchweik

Spend time in His Word - every day
Aug 31, 2007
Right of center
✟1,879,104.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
It's that time of year where these ridiculous billboards start going up everywhere. American atheists (the organization) should use the $15,000 - $30,000 that is spent for EACH billboard and donate it to the needy rather than putting up a billboard that only serves to offend. I found it very interesting that on the American atheist website that there is a "billboard campaign" and it seems for every doller donated American atheists will double it.
From American atheist website:"If you would like to be a part of our future campaigns, consider making a donation to our Billboard Match Fund using the red DONATE button on the home page. Every dollar you give will be doubled through this special fundraising campaign."
I thought charities gave money to those in need. Since when did charities start raising money for a BILLBOARD CAMPAIGN? How is THAT helping the poor and needy??
" What,you're hungry? Here have a BILLBOARD!!"
While I don't agree with their message (nor do I necessarily agree we should be telling them what they should or should not post), they have a right to express their faith too.

And you gotta give them credit - it takes an awful lot to put one's faith where they do.

Upvote 0

Tnmusicman

Sinner Saved By Grace
Mar 24, 2012
Nashville, TN ( Music City )
Visit site
✟16,518.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Atheists are hardly some monolithic group. This is more or less the equivalent of what some atheists do when they blame all Christians for groups like Westboro.

How so??

Edit:::::hold on, let me get the hammer.......NOW!!! Yes, forgive my brain faht there!! Yes, I guess I can see your point but I also understand that if someone is going to be so bold in representing a group then they should take responsibility for how they handle themselves. Unfortunatly, people like Westboro are out there and for that matter people like Koresh and Jim Jones and the jokers that were going to enter the space ship and......
All these people did was basterdize the Christian faith by using God (and sometimes the church) to spread a radical message. So, since there are always going to be people that use the name of God to justify their own means then we have to accept that every now and then a kook or two is going to be in the spotlight.

On the other hand American atheists (which has been around since 1963,I believe) isn't some radical atheist group. They are (supposedly) representative of the atheist community at large so it's not quite the same thing to call out the American atheists on their actions because they are the average person instead of some off the wall way off base group that redefines every aspect of the atheist belief and disbeliefs.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Tnmusicman

Sinner Saved By Grace
Mar 24, 2012
Visit site
✟16,518.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
People of religion try to spread it, celebrate it, or give to it. Atheists making a billboard announcing and celebrating have no faith at all makes no sense to me. Why would they care to do this when they are putting up a billboard about having faith in nothing? Is there a point to do that?

None, in my opinion. Only to deride and single out those that have faith.

Reactions: JCFantasy23
Upvote 0

Tnmusicman

Sinner Saved By Grace
Mar 24, 2012
Visit site
✟16,518.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
While I don't agree with their message (nor do I necessarily agree we should be telling them what they should or should not post), they have a right to express their faith too.

And you gotta give them credit - it takes an awful lot to put one's faith where they do.

Agreed they have a right to but just because someone can doesn't mean they should.

Upvote 0
Mar 27, 2010
no where land
✟15,252.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
AU-Greens
Just to jump in quickly...
Sure I think the cost is silly... however atheism, at least in the states is still a taboo topic at time. I have friends whom have been completely disowned by their christian parents for not believing in their god... so I think the billboards play a role in that sense, in reminding people that it is ok to not believe and that they are not the only ones.

Oh and I am a little bummed you didnt post the nasty atheist billboard to be honest, was keen to see them.

Upvote 0

Knee V

It's phonetic.
Sep 17, 2003
South Bend, IN
✟100,823.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Free speech goes both ways. If we want the right to have billboards that offend atheists, then we have to recognize the athiest's right to put up billboards that offend us. Liberty isn't always "comfortable".

Reactions: Mr. Pedantic
Upvote 0

Tnmusicman

Sinner Saved By Grace
Mar 24, 2012
Visit site
✟16,518.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican

Sure, they have the right just as Christians do but I find it very telling that the bulk of atheists I talk to say "religion wouldn't bother me if you kept it to yourselves and private. Yknow, keep it in the home!" and then they turnaround and do what? Yep, the same thing they gripe at Christians for.
(Sigh)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Tnmusicman

Sinner Saved By Grace
Mar 24, 2012
Visit site
✟16,518.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Free speech goes both ways. If we want the right to have billboards that offend atheists, then we have to recognize the athiest's right to put up billboards that offend us. Liberty isn't always "comfortable".

I don't think religion should be putting up ANY billboards! I fully recognize their right to do it but I don't have to agree with it. I'm saying neither atheists nor religious institutions (that are charity organizations) should be putting up billboards.

Upvote 0

Tnmusicman

Sinner Saved By Grace
Mar 24, 2012
Visit site
✟16,518.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
If this is the sort of stuff that American atheists have to put up with, my sympathies.

Yeaahhh, freedom to do what they want. Isn't that a drag?!!? Geez, the crap they have to put up with .......

Upvote 0

Hawisher

Jan 3, 2013
✟1,075.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Many I know who are truly atheistic rather than agnostic believe that the pursuit of rationality is a sufficient reason to justify "freeing" others from their faith.

Upvote 0

Tnmusicman

Sinner Saved By Grace
Mar 24, 2012
Visit site
✟16,518.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Just to jump in quickly...
Sure I think the cost is silly... however atheism, at least in the states is still a taboo topic at time. I have friends whom have been completely disowned by their christian parents for not believing in their god... so I think the billboards play a role in that sense, in reminding people that it is ok to not believe and that they are not the only ones.

Oh and I am a little bummed you didnt post the nasty atheist billboard to be honest, was keen to see them.

See the links I listed in post #17.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Tnmusicman

Sinner Saved By Grace
Mar 24, 2012
Visit site
✟16,518.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Originally Posted by Adaephon

How so??

Edit:::::hold on, let me get the hammer.......NOW!!! Yes, forgive my brain faht there!! Yes, I guess I can see your point but I also understand that if someone is going to be so bold in representing a group then they should take responsibility for how they handle themselves. Unfortunatly, people like Westboro are out there and for that matter people like Koresh and Jim Jones and the jokers that were going to enter the space ship and......
All these people did was basterdize the Christian faith by using God (and sometimes the church) to spread a radical message. So, since there are always going to be people that use the name of God to justify their own means then we have to accept that every now and then a kook or two is going to be in the spotlight.

On the other hand American atheists (which has been around since 1963,I believe) isn't some radical atheist group. They are (supposedly) representative of the atheist community at large so it's not quite the same thing to call out the American atheists on their actions because they are the average person instead of some off the wall way off base group that redefines every aspect of the atheist belief and disbeliefs.

Upvote 0

Lilly Owl

Since when is God's adversary a curse word here?
Dec 23, 2012
✟2,609.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
American's right to free speech isn't contingent upon consensus.

If a person can't think beyond the message on the board, the inflammatory billboard is the least of their problems!

Billboard Wars

Atheist-billboard.jpg

bb-christian4.jpg

Upvote 0

Tnmusicman

Sinner Saved By Grace
Mar 24, 2012
Visit site
✟16,518.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Many I know who are truly atheistic rather than agnostic believe that the pursuit of rationality is a sufficient reason to justify "freeing" others from their faith.

Yes,I know quite a few that feel that way. Of course, I go back to the issue of so many atheists have said to me their problem with religion is that it's being "shoved down their throats" just by being in the public eye and that atheists wouldn't have a problem with religion if it was kept private and in the home away from the public eye.

Now we see the rise of atheist groups that are doing the very thing they complain about. I guess it's not an issue if it serves your own agenda.
It's the evangelical atheist that feels its their duty to spread an atheist message of there being no God.

I live in America where all are free to believe or not believe and there is no problem with that but neither side needs to use offensive billboards or marquees to exercise that freedom. You don't believe in God ? Fine! Dandy! I do and I'll say I do but I don't say " atheists should burn in hell " or that "gays are an abomination " !!

If I had a billboard it would say "everybody welcome! Come experience the love of Jesus ".

Upvote 0

Tnmusicman

Sinner Saved By Grace
Mar 24, 2012
Visit site
✟16,518.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
American's right to free speech isn't contingent upon consensus.

If a person can't think beyond the message on the board, the inflammatory billboard is the least of their problems!

Billboard Wars

Atheist-billboard.jpg

bb-christian4.jpg

What other problems might they have ??¿??

Upvote 0

Bethesda

Sep 11, 2012
✟8,601.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Labour
Yes,I know quite a few that feel that way. Of course, I go back to the issue of so many atheists have said to me their problem with religion is that it's being "shoved down their throats" just by being in the public eye and that atheists wouldn't have a problem with religion if it was kept private and in the home away from the public eye.

Now we see the rise of atheist groups that are doing the very thing they complain about. I guess it's not an issue if it serves your own agenda.
It's the evangelical atheist that feels its their duty to spread an atheist message of there being no God.

I live in America where all are free to believe or not believe and there is no problem with that but neither side needs to use offensive billboards or marquees to exercise that freedom. You don't believe in God ? Fine! Dandy! I do and I'll say I do but I don't say " atheists should burn in hell " or that "gays are an abomination " !!

If I had a billboard it would say "everybody welcome! Come experience the love of Jesus ".

From comments I have heard from distinctly not religious people, I suspect that the aggressive style of people like Dawkins rubs many people up the wrong way to the extent of 'he's the kind of bloke you'd like to punch' type comments

Upvote 0