Visit site
✟16,518.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
It's that time of year where these ridiculous billboards start going up everywhere. American atheists (the organization) should use the $15,000 - $30,000 that is spent for EACH billboard and donate it to the needy rather than putting up a billboard that only serves to offend. I found it very interesting that on the American atheist website that there is a "billboard campaign" and it seems for every doller donated American atheists will double it.
From American atheist website:"If you would like to be a part of our future campaigns, consider making a donation to our Billboard Match Fund using the red DONATE button on the home page. Every dollar you give will be doubled through this special fundraising campaign."
I thought charities gave money to those in need. Since when did charities start raising money for a BILLBOARD CAMPAIGN? How is THAT helping the poor and needy??
" What,you're hungry? Here have a BILLBOARD!!"

Mr. Pedantic

Jul 13, 2011
Auckland
✟9,178.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
It's that time of year where these ridiculous billboards start going up everywhere. American atheists (the organization) should use the $15,000 - $30,000 that is spent for EACH billboard and donate it to the needy rather than putting up a billboard that only serves to offend. I found it very interesting that on the American atheist website that there is a "billboard campaign" and it seems for every doller donated American atheists will double it.
From American atheist website:"If you would like to be a part of our future campaigns, consider making a donation to our Billboard Match Fund using the red DONATE button on the home page. Every dollar you give will be doubled through this special fundraising campaign."
I thought charities gave money to those in need. Since when did charities start raising money for a BILLBOARD CAMPAIGN? How is THAT helping the poor and needy??

The same could be said of all the Christian organisations that sponsor religious billboards. I am a bit disappointed that, as you say, they aren't doing anything useful with the money, but it's not like there are no Christian billboards out there.

Also: are there any pictures or links to the billboards in question?

Upvote 0

Creech

Senior Veteran
Apr 7, 2012
New York
✟15,556.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
What about the churches that spend that much to have the "Jesus is the reason for the season" billboards up? What can be said for one group can be said for another.

Most Christian billboards do not put down other religions. I have seen countless atheist billboards which are just flat out disrespectful to our faith.

Upvote 0

wannabeadesigirl

Dec 28, 2007
✟17,294.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Green
Most Christian billboards do not put down other religions. I have seen countless atheist billboards which are just flat out disrespectful to our faith.

Doesn't deny the fact that we're spending tons of money on advertising for our faith when it could be going to the poor. And I would like to see some of these billboards because you know they might have a point.

And depending on who you are something as innocuous as "Don't believe in God: you are not alone" could be offensive to you (and that's a real billboard I've seen).

Upvote 0

tulc

loves "SO'S YER MOM!! posts!
May 18, 2002
✟271,570.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

That may be, however the point wannabeadesigirl and Mr. Pedantic made is still a good one, don't you think? :wave:
tulc(suspects if even 10% of the money spent on Christmas presents was donated to helping the poor there'd be quite a few people having a much nicer Christmas this year) ;)

Upvote 0

Mr. Pedantic

Jul 13, 2011
Auckland
✟9,178.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single

This is only true because atheism is not a religion.

christian-billboard-four.jpg

christian-billboard-one.jpg

christian-billboard-five.jpg

I agree. Atheist organisations should not have to resort to making offensive billboards; but neither should Christians.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

mandyangel

Aug 27, 2010
✟18,392.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
Atheists would have more sway if they didn't treat people they way the way they do in public, its absolutely insane. When an atheist finds ur a christian, look out because here it comes, those who know me know my personal experiences with this and whats happened to me with athesists. I am somebody that likes to have friends with lots of different people, in school I probably was friends with way more different types of people but atheists have not made a good impression me despite my trying.

Upvote 0

Creech

Senior Veteran
Apr 7, 2012
New York
✟15,556.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
That may be, however the point wannabeadesigirl and Mr. Pedantic made is still a good one, don't you think? :wave:
tulc(suspects if even 10% of the money spent on Christmas presents was donated to helping the poor there'd be quite a few people having a much nicer Christmas this year) ;)

I agree that Christians should focus less on big expensive billboards and more on spreading the message of Jesus through love and charity. That being said, this does not excuse the disrespect from many atheist organizations.

Upvote 0

Creech

Senior Veteran
Apr 7, 2012
New York
✟15,556.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single

I agree. Atheist organisations should not have to resort to making offensive billboards; but neither should Christians.

I agree with you that the Christian message should be spread through positive ways rather then attacking others. I am not defending attacks on any religion or beliefs.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Mr. Pedantic

Jul 13, 2011
Auckland
✟9,178.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Atheists would have more sway if they didn't treat people they way the way they do in public, its absolutely insane. When an atheist finds ur a christian, look out because here it comes, those who know me know my personal experiences with this and whats happened to me with athesists. I am somebody that likes to have friends with lots of different people, in school I probably was friends with way more different types of people but atheists have not made a good impression me despite my trying.

That's funny, because that's my experience with many Christians.

Upvote 0

Creech

Senior Veteran
Apr 7, 2012
New York
✟15,556.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Doesn't deny the fact that we're spending tons of money on advertising for our faith when it could be going to the poor. And I would like to see some of these billboards because you know they might have a point.

And depending on who you are something as innocuous as "Don't believe in God: you are not alone" could be offensive to you (and that's a real billboard I've seen).

Due to the very offensive content on many of these billboards, I sent you a pm with examples.

Upvote 0

Bethesda

Sep 11, 2012
✟8,601.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Labour

All of the above are I think pretty offensive actually. The middle one only need 'All traitors must die' to be complete.
I saw a UK one which had a picture of a baby doll and said 'He cries, He wees, He saves the World - God Baby'. Not too impressed I have to say

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Tnmusicman

Sinner Saved By Grace
Mar 24, 2012
Nashville, TN ( Music City )
Visit site
✟16,518.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
What about the churches that spend that much to have the "Jesus is the reason for the season" billboards up? What can be said for one group can be said for another.

Speaking specifically about the content of the billboard I would say there is nothing offensive to anyone,atheists included, about Jesus is the reason for the season. If it said "atheists are gonna burn" then yeah, that's a problem.

Speaking on the subject of charity. A check of the American atheist website led to the billboard campaign being the only cause they are involved in with the exception of the "atheist college grant" given only to a fellow atheist. You must offer proof in the way of activist activity.

Upvote 0

Tnmusicman

Sinner Saved By Grace
Mar 24, 2012
Visit site
✟16,518.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
The same could be said of all the Christian organisations that sponsor religious billboards. I am a bit disappointed that, as you say, they aren't doing anything useful with the money, but it's not like there are no Christian billboards out there.

Also: are there any pictures or links to the billboards in question?

American Atheists' NYC Billboard Calls for Christmas Minus 'Myth' of Christ

http://daisiesandshit.com/dsblog/files/2012/01/COCORE_imaginary2012_sm.jpg

http://freethoughtblogs.com/almostdiamonds/files/2012/09/20120813FallBillboardsChristianity.jpeg

Yes, you are right that religious organizations do billboards too. I failed to mention that not only is there an absurd amount of money being spent on billboards but the content is offensive. It wouldn't be so bad if Aa put up a billboard stating "atheists don't believe in God" but to turn it around and say you know it's a myth is poking at every religious person.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Steve Petersen

Senior Veteran
May 11, 2005
✟162,912.00
Faith
Deist
Politics
US-Libertarian

More power to them, and may the best argument win!

Upvote 0

Tnmusicman

Sinner Saved By Grace
Mar 24, 2012
Visit site
✟16,518.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican

I concur. I don't think the billboard about homosexuals was appropriate. Christians should hold to the same standard.

Upvote 0

Tnmusicman

Sinner Saved By Grace
Mar 24, 2012
Visit site
✟16,518.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I agree that Christians should focus less on big expensive billboards and more on spreading the message of Jesus through love and charity. That being said, this does not excuse the disrespect from many atheist organizations.

Precisely !! Christians,in my opinion,shouldn't even put billboards up. No need really. I fully support the "answer" billboard on the Jersey turnpike but otherwise Christians should stay out of the billboard business!

Upvote 0