Minnesota
✟215,306.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
The Harvard-educated mother of two is now at the center of America’s never ending tussle with race and identity when she accidentally invited every member of her City Council to a party intended solely for Council-members who are not white. Wu’s actions would almost be comical if they weren’t so disingenuous, if not downright dangerous.

• Informative
Reactions: Vambram

Valletta

Oct 10, 2020
Minnesota
✟215,306.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
The Harvard-educated mother of two is now at the center of America’s never ending tussle with race and identity when she accidentally invited every member of her City Council to a party intended solely for Council-members who are not white. Wu’s actions would almost be comical if they weren’t so disingenuous, if not downright dangerous.
Racism and bigotry should not be tolerated, whether it is this kind of racism or hatred against Israel or CRT.

• Agree
Upvote 0

timothyu

Dec 31, 2018
up there
✟307,583.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Oddly all we heard on the news before the last US election is how BLM wanted segregation.
Everyone wants to share public bathrooms but we are going back to separate water fountains?
Don't these people realize that these globalist dictators are simply destabilizing the world without the need for weaponry and people with no ability left to think for themselves fall for it?

Upvote 0

rambot

Apr 13, 2006
Up your nose....wid a rubbah hose.
✟368,348.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
Racism and bigotry should not be tolerated, whether it is this kind of racism or hatred against Israel or CRT.
I think it's absolutely hiliarious that you only list the kind of racism that offends you.... I mean, CRT isn't racist anyways but....whatever. When you're spraying bullets some of 'em will hit right?

Upvote 0

timothyu

Dec 31, 2018
up there
✟307,583.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
But that is the trend today to label everything 'racist' so it may sound like it carries some weight. Get a like online. For those lighter moments we hear 'cultural appropriation'. Get another like online.
God once confounded language for a reason so that the world may survive in pockets of community rather than collected together where everyone fights because everyone believes they are right and all the rest are wrong. Just as we see today where those communities have been broken down by both migration and especially internet and everyone is warring against each other. Stup*d species.

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,477,322.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I think it's absolutely hiliarious that you only list the kind of racism that offends you.... I mean, CRT isn't racist anyways but....whatever.
Yes, it is. That's what it's all about.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Upvote 0

RDKirk

Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,477,322.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I feel confident that the black citizens of Boston share fewer city government concerns with the Asian citizens than they share with the white citizens. And I'm also confident that the Asian citizens of Boston share fewer city government concerns with the black citizens than they do with the white citizens.

At this point, they all certainly know where they all stand on the issues. I suspect the purpose of this party was for Wu to establish herself as the Dom-POC behind whom all the other POCs are to rally.

Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟558,818.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
If the OP had linked to an actual news article from a reputable news outlet instead of an op-ed, we might have all been informed that this party is organized by a group called Electeds of Color, has been going on for a while (at least a decade according to articles I've read, though I haven't seen anything more specific) and Wu was merely asked to host it this year.

I read one quote saying that hosting this sort of "divisive" party was not typical for Boston mayors - that may be because Boston has never had a non-white mayor before, except for Kim Janey, who served as acting mayor for nine months after Marty Walsh joined the Obama cabinet, but she didn't serve over Christmas and, thus, couldn't have hosted any Christmas parties as mayor.

I'll believe that folks are really concerned about racial divisiveness when they express even a fraction of this level of concern over the fact that Boston took nearly 400 years to elect a non-white person as mayor despite the fact that 51% of its residents are non-white.

ETA: Janey and Wu were also the first female mayors of Boston. I wonder if there would have been similar outrage if she'd accidentally invited all the dudes to an annual Women in Government party.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

rturner76

Domine non-sum dignus
Site Supporter
May 10, 2011
Twin Cities
✟734,987.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
Yes, it is. That's what it's all about.
I don't think that CRT is racist in and of itself but it illustrates how our society was founded on racist principles.

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,477,322.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I don't think that CRT is racist in and of itself but it illustrates how our society was founded on racist principles.
No, CRT is racist in its very essentials. Read the seminal texts, not what its apologists say about it.

Upvote 0

rambot

Apr 13, 2006
✟368,348.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
No, CRT is racist in its very essentials. Read the seminal texts, not what its apologists say about it.
Any particular texts you'd recommend? And perhaps a reason why those texts are considered seminal by yourself?

Upvote 0

rambot

Apr 13, 2006
✟368,348.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
If the OP had linked to an actual news article from a reputable news outlet instead of an op-ed, we might have all been informed that this party is organized by a group called Electeds of Color, has been going on for a while (at least a decade according to articles I've read, though I haven't seen anything more specific) and Wu was merely asked to host it this year.

I read one quote saying that hosting this sort of "divisive" party was not typical for Boston mayors - that may be because Boston has never had a non-white mayor before, except for Kim Janey, who served as acting mayor for nine months after Marty Walsh joined the Obama cabinet, but she didn't serve over Christmas and, thus, couldn't have hosted any Christmas parties as mayor.

I'll believe that folks are really concerned about racial divisiveness when they express even a fraction of this level of concern over the fact that Boston took nearly 400 years to elect a non-white person as mayor despite the fact that 51% of its residents are non-white.

ETA: Janey and Wu were also the first female mayors of Boston. I wonder if there would have been similar outrage if she'd accidentally invited all the dudes to an annual Women in Government party.
Good heavens I'm getting
Tired of the dishonest smearing by some posters here.

Upvote 0

Bradskii

Can you tell a green field from a cold steel rail?
Aug 19, 2018
Bondi
✟255,347.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
I suspect the purpose of this party was for Wu to establish herself as the Dom-POC behind whom all the other POCs are to rally.
This wasn't a one off, set up to create division or act as a some secret non white cabal. This was a group that had been set up many years before. It was an ongoing annual event. It was Wu's turn to host it. It cannot have been a secret for over ten years. Why the sudden pearl clutching?

"I've been a part of a group that gathers, representing elected officials of color across all different levels of government in Massachusetts," she said. "A group that has been in place for more than a decade, and the opportunity to create a space for people to celebrate and rotate who hosts."

I think that's a reasonable position. They obviously have discussed amongst themselves any difficulty they might have had in government because of their racial background and done so on many occasions. So I don't see a problem in taking the opportunity in doing the same at a social event. I wouldn't expect to have been invited and after their get-together my first question wouldn't have been 'Why wasn't I invited?' but rather 'How did it go?'

If that quote above had been the only thing reported, then no-one would have batted an eyelid. If reported at all. But you don't sell newspapers by saying some people of colour in Massachusetts have a long term group set up to discuss their positionin government and they had a party.

But d'you know - the quote took some time digging up. Almost all reports are carbon copies of the way the first newspaper had decided to report it. Lazy journalism.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟558,818.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
AMERICA IS STILL OBSESSED WITH GENDER SEGREGATION!!!

bigotry should not be tolerated

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,477,322.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
This wasn't a one off, set up to create division or act as a some secret non white cabal. This was a group that had been set up many years before. It was an ongoing annual event. It was Wu's turn to host it. It cannot have been a secret for over ten years. Why the sudden pearl clutching?

"I've been a part of a group that gathers, representing elected officials of color across all different levels of government in Massachusetts," she said. "A group that has been in place for more than a decade, and the opportunity to create a space for people to celebrate and rotate who hosts."

I think that's a reasonable position. They obviously have discussed amongst themselves any difficulty they might have had in government because of their racial background and done so on many occasions. So I don't see a problem in taking the opportunity in doing the same at a social event. I wouldn't expect to have been invited and after their get-together my first question wouldn't have been 'Why wasn't I invited?' but rather 'How did it go?'

If that quote above had been the only thing reported, then no-one would have batted an eyelid. If reported at all. But you don't sell newspapers by saying some people of colour in Massachusetts have a long term group set up to discuss their positionin government and they had a party.

But d'you know - the quote took some time digging up. Almost all reports are carbon copies of the way the first newspaper had decided to report it. Lazy journalism.
Being old doesn't make it right. The real problem is that is has been a social event, rather than an ad hoc strategy meeting for specific issues.

Upvote 0

Bradskii

Can you tell a green field from a cold steel rail?
Aug 19, 2018
Bondi
✟255,347.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Being old doesn't make it right. The real problem is that is has been a social event, rather than an ad hoc strategy meeting for specific issues.
Being old means it's been going on without a fuss for over ten years. What do you think think has changed to make it newsworthy now?

Upvote 0

Valletta

Oct 10, 2020
Minnesota
✟215,306.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Being old means it's been going on without a fuss for over ten years. What do you think think has changed to make it newsworthy now?
It was same for black kids being kept out of white schools, which had gone on for a lot longer. Joe Biden and others who stood against busing the black kids to white schools too may have wondered what the fuss was. Segregating people by race is wrong and unlawful.

Upvote 0