America is a pro-life nation after all!

Gene2memE

Oct 22, 2013
✟275,955.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Interesting, but I don't think that there's ever been a majority of Americans that have supported unrestricted access to termination of pregnancy - which makes that headline and the opening paragraph of the press release a little odd. Numbers from Gallup and Pew would seem to support this.

Also interesting, from the last abortion poll these two organisations conducted, the numbers of those who identify as 'pro-choice' (51%) have remained static, while the number supporting making abortions beyond three months (76%) has fallen by two percentage points (which is probably not statistically significant). Also falling by a similar percentage are those who support taxpayer funding for abortion (down to 60%).

Looking at their time series data:

There's been a general decline in the number of people who favour stringent restrictions on abortion (from percentages in the mid 80s a decade ago, to the mid 70s now)
The number of Americans who identify as 'pro-choice' has remained a majority since 2015, although the gap has recently narrowed
The view that abortion is always morally wrong has fallen from ~60-65% to ~60-55% since 2012
The view that abortion is a long-term positive for a woman has remained mostly static at 50-55%
The view that taxpayer funding shouldn't be allocated for abortion fallen from ~65-70% to ~60% since 2015

In general, I'd argue that the longer term data shows an overall softening of public opinion opposing abortion.

Upvote 0

LivingWordUnity

Unchanging Deposit of Faith, Traditional Catholic
May 10, 2007
✟213,086.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
New poll shows shift in attitudes toward protection of the unborn.

Continued below.
America is a Pro-Life Nation After All!
I think it's likely because the current leader of the U.S. is one who openly supports the Pro-Life movement. The change from a Pro-Abortion POTUS to a Pro-Life POTUS didn't change everyone, but it could have influenced enough people to make the difference. Obama misled people into accepting so-called "same-sex marriage" when just prior to his presidency most people recognized that a real marriage can only be with the joining of a man and a woman.

Upvote 0