JamesD

Jun 6, 2006
✟15,226.00
Faith
Protestant
Politics
US-Republican
Smoke Screen said:
Care to address the OP? Why do you think foreign countries dislike the U.S? Why is Bush heavily protested in every country he visits? Is it because he is a white guy? Maybe because he wears too much make up? Come on. The U.S. is NOT in a bubble. We have to deal with foreign countries on a daily basis. Do you really think the way a country looks at us doesn't matter? Of course it does! I don't know about you, but as an American, I truely care about how other countries view the U.S. I guess I have too much pride in my country though.

The reason they dislike us is because we are making far reaching policy that benefits the interests of the United States and not the "global community" or their own communities which is what they naturally want. They expect us to be the benign underwriter of their own goals, which is simply not what the USA is going to do. If you think this antiamericanism started with Bush, then you are sorely mistaken, it has always existed and this recent course of events has merely made it vogue to say it again.

Upvote 0

Smoke Screen

America Can Do Better!
Jul 10, 2005
Near Seattle
✟10,227.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Balko said:
I don't think I really care what countries think of the US, or China, or anything. The argument that the US only cares for itself makes Austria look bad when they discriminate against the journalists by refusing to drive them.

Why don't you care about how the U.S. is viewed by other nations? You love this country, don't you? I sure do. That's why it totally bothers me that other countries dislike the U.S. We need to figure out WHY they dislike the U.S. and work on mending this view.

Balko said:
Most America-bashers don't know much about America.
Including people who live in our own country! Just like most Iraq or Iran bashers don't know much about Iraq and Iran. What's your point?

Balko said:
In WWII, the US and the Soviets were such great friends. There was propaganda and movies supporting Soviets, and a phrase that said: "This man is Russian. He fights for freedom. He is your friend." I've read WWII journal entries of some American who made good Russian friends. The soldiers who fought in Europe, be they Russian or American, were not egotistical bigots

It's quite possible this occurred on several occasions. And....

Balko said:
Plus people bash America saying Americans are stupid red-necks while they accuse Americans of discriminating against other people. Hipocrisy anyone?

Some Americans are "Stupid Red-necks." Some aren't. The majority of people I hear call American's "Stupid Red-Necks" are Americans themselves. It's really not a widely used term in the world community. (Atleast I don't think so. Someone please correct me if I am wrong. Especially of you are not American). I really don't think people dislike America simply because they are all "Stupid Red Necks." I think there are many many more important issues that would make them dislike the U.S.

Balko said:
Not everyone hates America. India has an 81% approval rating of America.

I agree not everyone or every country dislikes America. What is it that 81% India approves of? I vaguely remember seeing this statistic, however I don't remember where I saw it. Care to provide a link? I'm happy to see atleast India likes the U.S. I wonder if providing them with outsourced jobs has anything to do with it? Could be?

Upvote 0

coyote

Feb 15, 2006
✟7,799.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Lets see so many things to address hopefully I get to address most of them.

Ok. I've traveled many countries as well. I NEVER had anyone say anything bad about the U.S. Wait a sec. I lied. One guy didn't like the traffic in NYC.

In your opinion, why is the United States now so negatively viewed by the world community?

Don’t know where you traveled in the 80’s and 90’s. Like I said in my opening statement most of my travels then were to Africa, S. America and Asia. Other than Japan and S. Korea most were third world countries. I heard anti US sentiment then however, most also bashed the USSR. Most used the US and USSR as a bash for political reasons or some other way to blame their current situation and state of affairs on other than taking responsibility for themselves to fix it. This also if you had read my first paragraph answers why in my opinion most people don’t like the US.

Also noted the following from the OP.

Um.. Ignorant? Care to address the OP? In your opinion, why is the United States now so negatively viewed by the world community? Please don't tell me it's because people are reading the Communist Manifesto instead of the newspaper while sitting on the toilet drinking their morning Java!
For those of you who are not American, please give us some input. How can we make our image more positive with the global community? What do you like or dislike about American Foreign policy?

So I noticed that throughout some of your posts you jump on some of posters asking them to answer the OP. However, I noticed you did not ask that same question of others. Which I believe one of your questions was, “How can we make our image more positive with the global community” which, has not been addressed. And secondly “what do you like or dislike about American Foreign Policy” which has been addressed but only to the extent of showing anti US rhetoric. This is what I see from your OP as to questions that have not been addressed or have been addressed to a certain extent.

I did not address these questions because to me it looked as if you were asking non Americans there thoughts on these issues. You only have gotten so far anti US answers to one. Perhaps you should be asking them to address entirely all the questions.

As to the headline of the thread “America’s Bad Rep.” I addressed that in my first paragraph of my first post.

And the U.S. does? Have you seen the poverty rate in the U.S. lately? How about infant mortality? The homeless? Homeless veterans? Veterans?

LOL. Uh, something tells me the only prioritizing the US leadership is interested in is self interest. I'm sure Cheney and Halliburton could give you a for that! Maybe even Rummy could give you a thumbs up when you mention Gilead Research, the makers of Tami flu.

I'm sure other countries can as well. And some even do it without cheating! Anyone have the open source codes to the Diebold machines? Just curious.

Ok so these I will address together. Yes the infant mortality rate, homeless rate, and homeless veteran’s rate are at a historic low and have been for the past couple decades. While some like to say that since Bush took office the homeless rate has increased. Which is true, however, based upon historic numbers is still at an all time low. You would think with all the money ($100 Million) San Francisco throws at the problem that they would have it figured out by now considering the official last count was just over 6,000 homeless in San Francisco. As to veterans and homeless veterans. I am a veteran so I do not agree with Bush on his treatment of veterans.

Yes I suppose that Cheney, Halliburton and all the others could give me a big thumbs up. You might have failed to see the my point. So I will explain it again. Most countries prioritize and try to look out for their citizens first before considering other citizens. Is that easily enough explained to you?

As to Diebold machines can you prove that there was any tampering with the machines? You also know that there is a paper ballot printed with the machines. So if one wanted to do a hand count they could. The only proof would be if the hand count did not match the paper count from the machine. Then you would know that there was tampering done. Also just for example that it works both ways. I am sure you are really up in arms about a State such as Washington State having a Democratic County “find” 700+ ballots just enough to turn the governor election in favor of the Democratic Candidate. I am sure you are screaming about cheating there as well.

Ok, way off topic...so, why do you think the US is looked down upon by the international community (besides Cuba please).

My point was that power corrupts. Also for an example. The last time I was there in 05 I talked with some that were against and wanted to overthrow Mugabe. They blamed Mugabe on the US. They said see the US is there in Harare (our embassy) and therefore, the US supports Mugabe and what he is doing. Simply put but more in depth than that one. I also heard that argument many times in many different third world countries. From S/L America to Asia and Africa. Those wanting to take power will blame the US for the current political party being in power. Mostly because we have an Embassy there.

Originally Posted by: JVD

If France becomes the next superpower we will all be complaining about how they did it, but many of us will be learning French for the opportunities it will afford.

That's a hypothetical statement. It has nothing to do with the way the U.S. is viewed...Next....

Actually it is a valid argument. If you look at Superpowers/Regional Powers from a historical context. Great Britain was a Superpower for a long time. Was attacked and disliked by many for years. Rome, Greece, Persia just to name a few. The US is currently the only Superpower in the World and thus takes the brunt of the dislike. When like I previously said the USSR and USA were the superpowers the USSR shared the blame.

So, attacking other posters is the thing to do when you can not address the OP? Where did I say I was from Cuba? The OP is asking why people from outside the USA do not like them. Your hysterical rants do not answer the question!

Well first as another poster pointed out you have Cuba listed as your Country. Your location listed is Canada. Thus, the country you must come from is Cuba. I did address the OP in my first paragraph as to why in my opinion the US is not well liked. The OP asked several questions that you did not address as well. “How can we make our image more positive with the global community”. And secondly “what do you like or dislike about American Foreign Policy” So let’s see you did address somewhat the second question in what you disliked about American Foreign Policy but failed to address what you liked. You also failed to address the first question.

I do believe I did answer most of the questions addressed to me.

PS: So here is an exercise for you Smoke Screen. You ask the question, “What do you like or dislike about American Foreign Policy?” You mention that you travel abroad extensively. I don’t as much any more in the last few years as I used to since my wife got pregnant with my daughter and my daughter was born. Now I keep the travels down to only when necessary for my job. The last time I was abroad with at a conference and talking with some people about the US. This rant started by a few that were talking about American Foreign Policy and The US’s dealings world wide. I posed this question to them, “when was the last time the US’s policies had a direct impact on your daily life?” I got a lot of hemming and hawing but no real answers. Most wanted to bring up the Iraqi war or something that they heard from a friend of a friend in another country. No one could answer the original question about what has been the direct impact on their day to day lives. So try that next time you are overseas see what type of answers you get and get them to stick to the original question and bring proof of the answer. Not just something like, “well the world isn’t safer”. Ask for direct influence on their day to day lives that is tangible.

Upvote 0

IndigoRose7

Jun 19, 2006
✟15,264.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Let me break it down for you.
In 2001, after our 9/11 tragedy I was lunching with a Canadian friend. She looked at me and said, "I HATE Americans!"
WOW, was I stunned!!
I decided to hear her out, instead of just getting mad at this revelation.
As I sat and listened to the way she had been treated by our fellow Americans, I was even more stunned.

America has her BAD reputation because she has earned it...every bloodthirsty step of the way.

If more Americans would look beyond the programming they've received, they could see just why we are hated. It's not because we're great people....it's because we are arrogant bullies who think we should rule this entire planet.

Reactions: Smoke Screen
Upvote 0

Balko

Jun 3, 2006
✟15,560.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Why don't you care about how the U.S. is viewed by other nations? You love this country, don't you? I sure do. That's why it totally bothers me that other countries dislike the U.S. We need to figure out WHY they dislike the U.S. and work on mending this view.
Most people are ignorant, and you can't fix that. If you had some campaign or TV program that shows America without a Bush parody, most of the people that dislike America already would call it propaganda or something. People who are rooted in their political party similarly are harder to unroot, so no bother dealing with them. You can't educate someone who's unwilling to learn.

Including people who live in our own country! Just like most Iraq or Iran bashers don't know much about Iraq and Iran. What's your point?
They don't know what they're talking about, that's the point. Having an opinion with no knowledge backing it makes an opinion worthless.

It's quite possible this occurred on several occasions. And....
I don't think even I can come to understand it, or you for that matter, but from a soldiers mouth, the bond of fighting for each other, and together is deeper than any normal friendship you make with people. It seems to me that American soldiers loved their Soviet counterparts in WWII. You couldn't understand, and I probably can't, so these words come straight from the soldier's mouth, and are not something I made up.

At a certain point the Americans loved the Soviets as people. Then WWII ended, and the cold face of Stalin replaced the face of the Soviet friend. Just because relationships were frosty at one time doesn't mean Americans liked the soviets. The same thing happened with Japan in the beginning of the 20th century. One decade, the Japanese were "as good men as white people". The next, they're yellow tards. If about 3 million men served in WWII, then that leaves the other 120 million or so population at home to convince that the soviets are monsters who should be killed. People that can't understand working together with someone in war.

Some Americans are "Stupid Red-necks." Some aren't. The majority of people I hear call American's "Stupid Red-Necks" are Americans themselves. It's really not a widely used term in the world community. (Atleast I don't think so. Someone please correct me if I am wrong. Especially of you are not American). I really don't think people dislike America simply because they are all "Stupid Red Necks." I think there are many many more important issues that would make them dislike the U.S.
No, you're right. They don't like America because of it. They find other reasons, and then after getting a main reason(like no metric system), then they look at Americans and point and laugh, calling them stupid red-necks. Then they look down on America and find unreasonable things to hate them for. The red-neck is an add-on, and yes people outside of the US use that term.

I agree not everyone or every country dislikes America. What is it that 81% India approves of? I vaguely remember seeing this statistic, however I don't remember where I saw it. Care to provide a link? I'm happy to see atleast India likes the U.S. I wonder if providing them with outsourced jobs has anything to do with it? Could be?
I can't remember who said something, but somebody was saying everyone should and does hate America. The 81% statistic comes exactly from the National Geographic magazine over the issue of the rise of India. That's my source. I don' t know if they can put entire articles on the internet, but I'll look for it. Outsourced jobs has little to nothing to do with it, because the people who hold American jobs in India is less than half a percent. It wouldn't make much of a difference on statistic at all.

Upvote 0

coyote

Feb 15, 2006
✟7,799.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
IndigoRose7 said:
In 2001, after our 9/11 tragedy I was lunching with a Canadian friend. She looked at me and said, "I HATE Americans!"
WOW, was I stunned!!
As I sat and listened to the way she had been treated by our fellow Americans, I was even more stunned.

America has her BAD reputation because she has earned it...every bloodthirsty step of the way.

If more Americans would look beyond the programming they've received, they could see just why we are hated. It's not because we're great people....it's because we are arrogant bullies who think we should rule this entire planet.

Most of my experince has been somewhat similar. My wife is a true heinze 57. Her father is a French Canadian and mother is American. Her father's mother hated americans but in her own words has never meet an american until she meet my mother in law. Even then for years she would have nothing to do with either my mother in law or my wife. Because they were "americans" and she hated americans. Even if me and my wife went to Canada to visit her relatives she would have nothing to do with us. Wasn't until her first great grandaughter was born that I even talked with her. Since she has traveled to see us Twice (these are her only two trips to the US) and we have seen her several times. She even talks to me in english since I don't understand french which when my father in law heard this it floored him. Since she almost always refuses to speak english. So my point is that some dislike Americans even though they have never meet one. They just see what they see on TV or hear from others.

Yes some of the dislike is earned in the form of how some american tourists I see treat people in their home lands. I have always, (perhaps it is because I travel for business overseas) treated people with respect in their home countries. I try to learn a few key phrases like "hello, good bye, thank you, where is the restroom (very important sometimes)" and other key phrases. Also learning about some customs. For example in parts of Africa, Asia and the Middle East you shake hands, eat, write, drink, point and do everything with the right hand. The left hand is considered unclean mostly because they do not have toilet paper or it is a recent (last 20+/- years) in or to their countries. Some countries a man does not address another man's wife. He talks to the husband and asks the husband for things & then the wife gets them. My personal opinion is that before people travel overseas they should at a minimum learn local customs and some key phrases. These typically go much farther than anything else.

Patience is a key as well. Everything moves slowly in some countries. For example my first visit to Japan I wanted to get in and out with a deal signed. Figured no more than a few hours. But that ended up lasting almost a week. Business in Japan doesn not always get discussed in the board rooms, but in the sauna, golf course, at a night club and anywhere else.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Balko

Jun 3, 2006
✟15,560.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
WOW, was I stunned!!
Wow, that was such a tearjerker, and so ambiguous.
I'm just confused. Wouldn't you usually include what the story was!?

I had a friend who visited France, and some French guys told him to go back to America. They said something else, but he didn't understand. When they were, um, "urging" his other friend(a girl also from america), he told them to back off in french(he said some stronger words, but the forum'll censor it). The tall guy punched him, and the tourists and the french natives got into a fight. My friend won(supposedly), and that's his explanation for a broken nose, and black eye.

I think its quite decent of him that he doesn't dislike the French still. So why would I believe all French are rapists who beat up tourists? I don't need someone to tell me all French are rapists, and I don't need a Canadian to tell me how bad Americans are. I'll base my views off my experience, and the common sense that most people believe in the same good ideals that I do. I know a lot of Americans and some very intelligent Americans. I coudn't say that I knew a good number that fits into the redneck category, and I visited Texas!

The same programming that gives American approval rating 17%. No thanks. I'll keep my American friends. You keep your American-hating friends, and your liberal-run American media.

Upvote 0
Microsoft is not a country. I thought the illustration was obvious but I guess it is not. I was just showing how a company that dominates its industry is picked upon and hated.

It is a naturaly human tendency to want to pull down the successful ones.

At some point we will lose our supremecy. That is the just the way history goes. What do you think we could do to cause the world to love us? I believe they would love us if we voluntarily stepped down from our superpower status. If we pulled in our horns and let the UN take over they would love us. Temporarily....until the Islamic States began to overrun Europe. Then they would hate us again.

Upvote 0

IndigoRose7

Jun 19, 2006
✟15,264.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
coyote said:
... So my point is that some dislike Americans even though they have never meet one. They just see what they see on TV or hear from others.

Yes, this is true. It is also true of Americans, as well. A good majority of Americans will express distasteful comments about people from other countries, with no knowledge of them other than what they have heard.

coyote said:
Yes some of the dislike is earned in the form of how some american tourists I see treat people in their home lands.

Very true!Arrogance merged with ignorance tends to be very insulting to people. :confused: GO figure!

coyote said:
Patience is a key as well.
Another true statement. I appreciate the civil tone of your post.

:thumbsup:

Upvote 0

IndigoRose7

Jun 19, 2006
✟15,264.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Balko said:
I know a lot of Americans and some very intelligent Americans. I coudn't say that I knew a good number that fits into the redneck category, and I visited Texas!

Wow, you visited Texas? Only visited?

Balko said:
The same programming that gives American approval rating 17%. No thanks. I'll keep my American friends. You keep your American-hating friends, and your liberal-run American media.

Well thanks for permission to keep my friends.:D

Upvote 0

TheBear

NON-WOKED
Jan 2, 2002
✟304,171.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
And Australia wonders why their tourism market has declined sharply since 2004. They even started a campaign, aimed at the American market to get more Americans to visit Australia - http://www.wherethebloodyhellareyou.com/

So sad. They hate us, yet they're begging for our business. What a dilema for them. :D

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Yusuf Evans

Aug 17, 2005
Iraq
✟13,433.00
Faith
Muslim
Marital Status
Married
LucasGoltz said:
So you support murdering people who cross your borders illegally?

I rebuke this type of reasoning as completly unChrist-like. Spread your venomous poison elsewhere.

Why not? I mean you guys in Canada and in Europe call the American people violent and murderers, so we might as well do so.

Upvote 0

IndigoRose7

Jun 19, 2006
✟15,264.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
KalEl76 said:
Why not? I mean you guys in Canada and in Europe call the American people violent and murderers, so we might as well do so.

This statement, along with many others found on this website shows the World just how unbelievable Christians are as a witness for Christ.
Really, this is a Christian Forum?
Christianity can't possibly be of Christ if this is how it's believers behave.
Shame on YOU!!!

Upvote 0

SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic
IndigoRose7 said:
This statement, along with many others found on this website shows the World just how unbelievable Christians are as a witness for Christ.
Really, this is a Christian Forum?
Christianity can't possibly be of Christ if this is how it's believers behave.
Shame on YOU!!!
Not trying to start anything, but you shouldn't be disparaging others for how Christian they're supposed to be. I'm a liberal and I hear it a lot from the right-wing about how bad of a Christian I am. The last thing we need is someone from the left saying how bad of a Christian a person is on the right. We're all bad Christians, we're fallible, so harping on out inadequacies will get us nowhere. His statement was clearly a tongue-in-cheek comment, so stop taking it so seriously.

And if you really want to stop him, just get some kryptonite.

Reactions: DieHappy
Upvote 0

IndigoRose7

Jun 19, 2006
✟15,264.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
SummerMadness said:
Not trying to start anything, but you shouldn't be disparaging others for how Christian they're supposed to be.
And if you really want to stop him, just get some kryptonite.
:D Oh if only kryptonite would work!
As far as judging, there is a vast difference between being liberal and accepting Doctrinal differences and accepting a doctrine of hatred.
There is NO ROOM in the Christian life....no matter what side of the aisle you sit for hatred.
1John chapter 4 says it all!
:)

Upvote 0

IndigoRose7

Jun 19, 2006
✟15,264.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
SummerMadness said:
. We're all bad Christians, we're fallible, so harping on out inadequacies will get us nowhere. His statement was clearly a tongue-in-cheek comment, so stop taking it so seriously.

Here is the essence of Christianity....whether right or left:
"Jesus replied, 'Love the Lord God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind. This is the first and greatest commandment. The second is like it: Love your neighbor as yourself. All the law and the prophets hang on these two commandments.'" Matthew 22:37-40 NIV

All of this talk about murdering our foreign neighbors violates both of these commandments. As a fellow Christian, I will speak up and call for accountability on this one. How can one determine he was speaking tongue-in-cheek?

Upvote 0