Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
My mom says that if I move in with a nonbeliever, I am being unequally yoke. Well, in my opinion unequally yoked is about SEX. All of my friends are not Christians. I prefer it that way. Is it my right to only hang out with certain people that I choose? They know what I believe in and they respect that.

Equal yoking is a general principle that we can apply to every area of our lives, but which of course is especially critical with regard to marriage.

But we are not called to live in an ivory tower. We are told to go into all the world and make disciples, to be salt and not to put a basket over our light. God loves the unbelievers, though He may not love the condition they are in.

How to play that out is the trick. I would begin by jettisoning the concept of rights. It's not a question of whether you have the right to do this or that, it's a question of what is best. You could feed your faith by interacting with unbelievers. There's a challenge there sometimes that can be refreshing, even exhilarating. But it's also possible to compromise and shipwreck your faith walk if you get in inappropriately close.

This is not a law thing, it's a spirit thing. I certainly would be cautious, but I personally wouldn't write it off automatically without prayer.

Upvote 0