Fort Lauderdale
✟23,287.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I asked my boss to put me on a certain time shift I told him my performance would be better at this shift so he gives me the shift and my performance starts off good and then the week later my performance on the shift becomes very inconsistent and worst than what it was on the original shift. My boss called me out on my performance and said as a Christian man your not being a man of your word. Is he wrong for this ? Or am I wrong

QuestionQuest74

Oct 12, 2023
Fort Lauderdale
✟23,287.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Whether you're good at your job is between you and your boss. But it's inappropriate for him to bring your religion into the conversation when evaluating your work performance.
I talk to him about my religion alot and evangelize to him.

Upvote 0

PloverWing

Episcopalian
May 5, 2012
New Jersey
✟336,207.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I talk to him about my religion alot and evangelize to him.

Also odd for the workplace, but maybe your workplace is different from mine. Does he enjoy talking about religion with you, or does it annoy him?

Upvote 0

linux.poet

Electric Nightfall
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2022
Poway
✟204,285.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
I think you were just mistaken about your work performance, and what it would be on that shift. However, you are appearing to be a liar and a poor witness. You should apologize to your boss and pick up your work performance on that shift to a level that your boss expects.

Upvote 0

Fervent

Sep 22, 2020
San jacinto
✟128,942.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Depending on why your job performance declined, you might be wrong for it. However, you were wrong for making him a promise that you seem to have been unable to keep. Which is likely part of why Jesus said to not make oaths, rather than simply being an indictment of the disingenuos way oaths were handled by the religious authorities. It's more of a lapse in judgement since you compromised your witness to him because now it looks like you don't keep your word.

Upvote 0

Aussie Pete

Site Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,630.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
I asked my boss to put me on a certain time shift I told him my performance would be better at this shift so he gives me the shift and my performance starts off good and then the week later my performance on the shift becomes very inconsistent and worst than what it was on the original shift. My boss called me out on my performance and said as a Christian man your not being a man of your word. Is he wrong for this ? Or am I wrong
He has a point. It's better not to make promises than to break them. If it were me, I would apologise and say something to the effect that I was wrong about my expectations of myself and that I did not intend to mislead.

Reactions: com7fy8
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Sabertooth

Repartee Animal: Quipping the Saints!
Site Supporter
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟961,695.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Is he wrong for this ? Or am I wrong
Are you failing
  1. because you are not keeping your word, or
  2. because of another reason (and were incorrect that your poor performance was tied to your previous shift)?
If it is #1, you owe your boss to honor your word to him.
If it is #2, you should probably own it and go back to your previous shift until you figure the real reason you are struggling on the job. (With the current shortage of workers, you may have some wiggle room.)

Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟586,675.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Yes, we should not promise the future that we do not control.

So, why were you unable to keep your promise?

If you have come short of what you should be doing, can you make this up to him somehow? And possibly you can discover how to correct any problem, or just go back.

I was in the Navy's Hospital Corps. And I was quite impressive in classrooms during training. And I was so sure I would be so great taking care of patients.

But I was legalistic and too picky; I got even less than half my work done in a hospital.

Then I became a laboratory worker and it took me all day to do half a day's work . . . no matter how I pushed myself. Well, I am a slow reader; In my mind I read about as fast as I read out loud. So, reading lab results and looking at slides and reading blood bank tests and microbiology cultures could take me at least twice as long as other workers.

But at the time I did not realize that was a problem. Ones thought I was a goof-off and incompetent.

Some people get romantically distracted when they change a job or schedule and discover someone.

And there can be other social differences, when we make a change.

Do you know what has made a difference? I am thinking, if you have the same job but now have done it not as well . . . I would think there is something you would be able to see that is causing your performance to go down.

The social setting could be different. Your new surrounding workers might not be adapted to you, and this might affect things.

Upvote 0

QuestionQuest74

Oct 12, 2023
Fort Lauderdale
✟23,287.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Why did your performance go down?
Busy outside of work and maybe because i needed more of a later shift idk honestly and I like the job
I think you were just mistaken about your work performance, and what it would be on that shift. However, you are appearing to be a liar and a poor witness. You should apologize to your boss and pick up your work performance on that shift to a level that your boss expects.
I apologized to him for not being appreciative of the shift he gave me but I also told him he is not checking on me enough as a employee to see if my needs our met on the job.

Upvote 0

QuestionQuest74

Oct 12, 2023
Fort Lauderdale
✟23,287.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Yes, we should not promise the future that we do not control.

So, why were you unable to keep your promise?

If you have come short of what you should be doing, can you make this up to him somehow? And possibly you can discover how to correct any problem, or just go back.

I was in the Navy's Hospital Corps. And I was quite impressive in classrooms during training. And I was so sure I would be so great taking care of patients.

But I was legalistic and too picky; I got even less than half my work done in a hospital.

Then I became a laboratory worker and it took me all day to do half a day's work . . . no matter how I pushed myself. Well, I am a slow reader; In my mind I read about as fast as I read out loud. So, reading lab results and looking at slides and reading blood bank tests and microbiology cultures could take me at least twice as long as other workers.

But at the time I did not realize that was a problem. Ones thought I was a goof-off and incompetent.

Some people get romantically distracted when they change a job or schedule and discover someone.

And there can be other social differences, when we make a change.

Do you know what has made a difference? I am thinking, if you have the same job but now have done it not as well . . . I would think there is something you would be able to see that is causing your performance to go down.

The social setting could be different. Your new surrounding workers might not be adapted to you, and this might affect things.
Honestly I think it’s the manager not seeing if the rest of my needs while working there is met

Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟586,675.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Honestly I think it’s the manager not seeing if the rest of my needs while working there is met
Yes, the boss and anyone else higher have their parts to do, not only the workers.

But may be you should give your manager feedback about your needs. The manager possibly got a good report on you and perhaps assumed you do not need more support of whatever sort in order to perform so well. But maybe the manager on the other shift did know and took care of things.

• Agree
Reactions: linux.poet
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums