Am I selfish to not care about the news?

ElenaMaria_9

Jun 7, 2022
South West England
✟17,359.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
First . . . welcome to Christian Forums :)

In another place, you say you do better with reading history books.

In my case . . . I am interested not only in what happened, but why.

And "why" seems to have a lot to do with personalities, and therefore what people do because of how they really are, inside.

So, I can handle everyday news, by looking at the why. And I can see how there are people who do what they do because they do not know how to love.

And God's word says what to do about it >

"Therefore I exhort first of all that supplications, prayers, intercessions, and giving of thanks be made for all men, for kings and all who are in authority, that we may lead a quiet and peaceable life in all godliness and reverence. For this is good and acceptable in the sight of God our Savior, who desires all men to be saved and to come to the knowledge of the truth." (1 Timothy 2:1-4)

So, I can use the news to remind me of how God wants me to pray with hope for any and all people > love "hopes all things" > in 1 Corinthians 13:7.

Love this answer!

Upvote 0

ElenaMaria_9

Jun 7, 2022
South West England
✟17,359.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
I am not really too interested in the news either,and find most of it depressing or sad.

I find I get very anxious watching or reading much news. So many people close to me need prayer, so I tend to focus more on that if I want to help others.

Upvote 0

Miles

Student of Life
Mar 6, 2005
USA
✟383,233.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I wouldn't say you are. Knowing one's limits and setting boundaries is a good thing. While there are times when I follow the news closely, there are also times when I don't. Some subjects I tend to avoid altogether. In part because they're emotionally charged for people, and because I can't change a thing about it. Whether I follow it or I don't, my level of selfishness remains about the same.

Upvote 0

RileyG

Veteran
Angels Team
Feb 10, 2013
Nebraska
✟245,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
It seems to me that I really don't care about the news unless it has an effect on me directly (to be honest most of the news does not). My Question, is am I selfish in this thinking?
No. Absolutely not.

• Optimistic
Reactions: He is Worthy
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums