Am I a Christian?

ReturningProdigal

Jan 26, 2003
Sydney
Visit site
✟7,833.00
Faith
Calvinist
I've been trying to decide what I believe for a long time, and I think I've finally decided what I do and do not believe. But I'm wondering what my religion IS, since it isn't really Deism and it isn't Christianity either. Anyway, I do believe Jesus was God (A Christian belief), and that he's coming back (Another Christian belief), but I don't believe all of the Bible(A Deist belief). I believe that God gave us nature to show us that he's real (Another Deist belief). I also don't really believe that prayer does any good, so I only say prayers of thanks (A Deist belief). So does that make me a Christian Deist? Or is that too far away from Christianity? I'd really appreciate your help. Thanks.

ByGrace

Jul 18, 2003
Salt Lake City
✟1,928.00
Faith
Christian
There is only one kind of Christian. That person is born again and has placed their hope solely on the merits of Jesus Christ and is trusting the finished work of the cross to get them to Heaven. They know that they are sinners and could never get there on their own merits and have given it over to Him to take care of. In that case, I would ask you- are you a Christian? Do you know beyond a shadow of a doubt that should you die right now that you would instantly be in the presence of Jesus? The Bible says that we can "know" if it is the case.

Upvote 0

Serapha

Jun 29, 2003
✟6,704.00
Faith
Non-Denom
ReturningProdigal said:
I've been trying to decide what I believe for a long time,...

I do believe Jesus was God (A Christian belief), and that he's coming back (Another Christian belief),

Hi there!
:wave:

Satan knows that Jesus is God, and satan knows that Christ is returning to claim His own. Does that make satan a Christian? Of course not.

Becoming a Christian is based upon the acknowledgement that there is sin in your life and that the consequence of that sin is eternal separation from God. Being a Christian is knowing that there is only one way to be reconciled to God and that is through the redemptive nature of Jesus Christ. Christ died for YOUR sins so you could be reconciled to God. If you want to be a Christian, then you need to tell Christ that you accept Him as your personal Savior, and that you believe that through Him, your sins are forgiven, and then ask Him to forgive you for those sins.

Perhaps the hard part for a diest is to know that God cares about every little detail of your life. You weren't created and then left afloat in life to voyage on your own... God want to pilot your ship, but you have to let Him. Sin is disobedience to God, and reconciliation is obedience and submission to God.

You have a choice. Questions?

~malaka~

Upvote 0

paxvobiscum

Sep 5, 2003
Canada
✟2,280.00
Faith
ReturningProdigal said:
I've been trying to decide what I believe for a long time, and I think I've finally decided what I do and do not believe. But I'm wondering what my religion IS, since it isn't really Deism and it isn't Christianity either. Anyway, I do believe Jesus was God (A Christian belief), and that he's coming back (Another Christian belief), but I don't believe all of the Bible(A Deist belief). I believe that God gave us nature to show us that he's real (Another Deist belief). I also don't really believe that prayer does any good, so I only say prayers of thanks (A Deist belief). So does that make me a Christian Deist? Or is that too far away from Christianity? I'd really appreciate your help. Thanks.

Look at Gnosticism and Gnosis.
Pax and Lux

Upvote 0

platzapS

Expanding Mind
Nov 12, 2002
Sunshine State
Visit site
✟5,263.00
Faith
Humanist
Prodigal, your beliefs closely parallel mine. I consider myself a Christian. I have accepted Jesus as God and Savior, but believe that a considerable amount of the Old Testament is...not entirely accurate. I also question the power of prayer sometimes. I believe that hell is not eternal, but a purgatory-type state of seperation from God.

Upvote 0

Godzman

Peace
Sep 8, 2003
Central Bible College
✟10,549.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I believe that if you have accepted Christ as your saviour you are a christian, but if you don't continue your walk with him, your faith will waver, and you will be tossed to and fro. I just think you should always examine your heart before God, and seek his understanding more then anything, but also relize that Jesus used the Old Testament alot and so if he used false scripture can we really trust him.

Just ask God for guidance

Upvote 0

Marie

Senior Veteran
Apr 8, 2002
Arizona
Visit site
✟18,472.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Christian= little Christ

To be a Christian, you should strive to let your life reflect that of Christ, to the best of your abilities. You must recognize your sin, and put yourself aside to follow Him.

That if you confess with your mouth, Jesus is the Lord, and honestly believe in your heart and with all of your soul that God brought him back from the dead, you will be saved. If you believe that, and confess that, I would say you are a Christian.

Just curious, but what don't you believe about the Bible?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ByGrace

Jul 18, 2003
Salt Lake City
✟1,928.00
Faith
Christian
ReturningProdigal said:
For one thing, the Messianic prophecies.
Of all the things not to believe. Have not they been being fulfilled and are currently doing so before our eyes?
eek.gif

Upvote 0

aggie03

Veritas Vos Liberabit
Jun 13, 2002
Columbus, TX
Visit site
✟19,529.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Umm...if you don't believe in the Messianic Prophecies then why do you believe that Jesus of Nazareth is the Messiah?

*EDIT*

My question is in the interest of better understanding where you're coming from and what you believe, so that I can aid in answering your questions :).

*END EDIT*

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
I really think that some hit it right. if you believe that Jesus died for your sins and came back from the dead for us, and you accept Him as your Lord and Savior then thats really all you need. I do believe however, that prayer does alot of good. Yes, God knows what you are thinkning and have ing a hard time with it but it helps to get it out. Kindof like a best friend. it just feels better to confess and vent. thouhg we do have to forgive ourselves and others before we can be forgiven.
Amber

Upvote 0

Jase

Feb 20, 2003
✟10,432.00
Faith
Messianic
Politics
US-Democrat
ReturningProdigal said:
For one thing, the Messianic prophecies.
Why don't you believe in prophecies? You don't believe Jesus was prophecized to be born of a virgin in bethlehem, or die, and rise from the dead? I don't understand how you believe Jesus is God, yet not believe He fullfilled the prophecy proving He's God? :confused:

Upvote 0

Godzman

Peace
Sep 8, 2003
Central Bible College
✟10,549.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Justifide_gurl04 said:
I really think that some hit it right. if you believe that Jesus died for your sins and came back from the dead for us, and you accept Him as your Lord and Savior then thats really all you need. I do believe however, that prayer does alot of good. Yes, God knows what you are thinkning and have ing a hard time with it but it helps to get it out. Kindof like a best friend. it just feels better to confess and vent. thouhg we do have to forgive ourselves and others before we can be forgiven.
Amber
Amen, preach preacher

Upvote 0

ReturningProdigal

Jan 26, 2003
Sydney
Visit site
✟7,833.00
Faith
Calvinist
aggie03 said:
The Bible is the only record that is the word of God.
Sure, it's the word of God, according to you. And the Koran is the word of God, according to the Muslims. Etc.

I'd like to talk to you guys more, but I'd rather talk to you one at a time than you all ganging up on me like this, lol. Do any of you have AIM? My sn is LBfan144000 if you want to talk.

Upvote 0
I am not a Christian, I am a Deist and I just happen to catch this thread while I was skimming the net.

First I want to comment on this quote made by someone above.

...grrr...how do you quote someone???

anyway the quote is:
"There is only one kind of Christian."

Firstly that statement in it's self is wrong. Do you understand what Christ means? No, not Jesus Christ...Christ by it's self? I'll help you out.

Christ - Any expected deliverer (look it up). This means anyone who believes in a deliverer or prophet of any sort...then can be a Christian. Be they a Christian Deist or a Christian believing in any other deliverer.

I am not a Christian Deist, but I do believe in the right of Christian Deists to call themselves so, and have defended that right many times. So to answer the quote, there is not only one kind of Christian.

anyway, I don't want to fight, just to make you understand the meaning of Christ. I may post some more on this board...but well a lot of my opinions don't go over well with Christians. Anyone interested in my views may visit my page and board by doing a search for Privation Deism on the web.

thank you all for being here,
-bill

Upvote 0