Apr 23, 2011
Yorkshire
✟15,142.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Hi guys

I am a fundamentalist in the sense that I believe in the virgin birth, earthly miracles and the resurrection. I am also a creationist.

I'm trying to find a local church which reflects my beliefs. I live in the UK and my options are limited - I'm torn between a Baptist church and a non-demoninational Evangelical church. I've been to both and both felt right.

What would you advise?

Last edited:

MatthewDiscipleofGod

Senior Veteran
Feb 6, 2002
Minnesota
Visit site
✟20,802.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I believe that Baptism is necessary (primarily due to Matt 16:16) and that a believers baptism is preferential.

Baptists only accept believers baptism. A Baptist church normally will (and should) require a person be Baptized as a believer to become a member. Baptists reject that Baptism in anyway saves a person. If you can accept these things a Baptist church may be the place for you.

Upvote 0

Kirkstaller

Fishing for people
Apr 23, 2011
Yorkshire
✟15,142.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Baptists only accept believers baptism. A Baptist church normally will (and should) require a person be Baptized as a believer to become a member. Baptists reject that Baptism in anyway saves a person. If you can accept these things a Baptist church may be the place for you.

Thank you for your reply.

Although I believe firmly in Sola Fide, I'm having trouble reconciling Mark 16:16 with the traditional Baptist view. Although I also believe the latter part of that verse indicates that only non-believers will not be saved. Is that the stance taken by Baptists?

I think deep down I see Baptism as an important SYMBOLIC sacrament. I believe that the thief on the cross is the minimum but baptism is preferential.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

MatthewDiscipleofGod

Senior Veteran
Feb 6, 2002
Minnesota
Visit site
✟20,802.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Although I believe firmly in Sola Fide, I'm having trouble reconciling Matt 16:16 with the traditional Baptist view. Although I also believe the latter part of that verse indicates that only non-believers will not be saved. Is that the stance taken by Baptists?

I assume you mean this verse:

Mark 16:16 He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned.

You are correct, the typical Baptist response is that is the lack of belief that leads to damnation as pointed out at the end of that verse. It should follow that a new believer is Baptized but in some cases, like the thief on the cross, that isn't possible.

Upvote 0

miamited

Ted
Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2010
Seneca SC
✟705,807.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi Kirk,

God bless you and may you always give Him the praise and glory for your new life. Full immersion, participant conscious baptism has always been a basic tenent of the fellowship of believers that join with the baptist denomination. In the half dozen or so baptist fellowships that I have been fairly well acquainted with, anyone can join as a member of the fellowship who professes faith in Jesus as their savior. You will usually be asked at that time if you have been baptized. It's up to you to be honest about whatever baptism you have received or even none at all. If you tell them that you have been baptized they will take your word for it, at least the ones that I've been involved with.

However, I'm not really concerned with what the leaders of any particular fellowship will allow as necessary for membership with them. The real bottom line is your security. Now, I am a born again believer who worships with a baptist fellowship although I don't refer to myelf as a baptist. I am a christian.

To me, denominations are a way to kind of know what a fellowship believes and follows. However, even within various denominational identifiers you will find the leadership of the individual fellowships may have some variations. This is why I always try to steer away from encouraging a believer seeking for a place to worship along denominational lines and rather encourage that they find a strong bible believing fellowship. There are many and there are many that are not. Yes, some of these divisions can be cut squarely down the denominational lines, but not all. Then you have various breakdowns within a denomination. For example: There is a denomination now that one branch is agreeing to accept homosexuals as pastors and leaders and the other remains steadfast that pastors and leaders are held to a higher standard. So, even if one looks along denominational lines, it is good to investigate what the individual fellowship where they will be worshiping believes about God, His Son, His Spirit and His word.

Having said all that. I find the baptist denomination is fairly consistent with the teachings of the Scriptures. We believe that baptism, much like communion is a symbolic command that we are told to participate in. There is much discussion about the actual intent and value of baptism in a believers life. I for one find plenty of Scriptural intent that if there is anyway possible that a believer, after making a confirmation of his understanding and intentions regarding the Lord, be baptized.

The argument against this is usually the thief on the cross. I'm convinced that there are a couple of issues specific to that circumstance that we may not be considering when we use it as a 'reason' to tell others that they don't have to be baptized. First, we don't know that he wasn't baptized. John the baptist and many of the disciples had been baptizing many of the people in and around Jerusalem which is where the crucifixtion took place. Secondly, the thief died before the Christ was raised from the dead. I don't believe water baptism was practiced in all of Israel before the Lord established it through his command. Therefore, if anyone is saved before Jesus' death and resurrection, then they probably weren't baptized and the thief on the cross would fit that timeframe.

Most importantly, I feel, is that we see that Jesus even desired to be baptized and when questioned about it said that it needed to be done. We have ample evidence that it was a regular practice for new believers to be baptized in the book of the Acts of the Apostles and finally we read Jesus' final command to his disciples. Go into all the nations baptizing them and teaching them to obey all that I have commanded you.

So, is it the baptism that saves? I think that while it probably doesn't save, it is certainly the first command to follow that shows everyone else and the Lord whether the words out of our mouth are true. We say, "Lord, I want to follow you." He says, "Be baptized." Whether you will or not is your first outward sign that your mouth is speaking what your heart believes. There are a couple of other passages in the Scriptures that also seem to point to another reason for baptism. It wasn't until Jesus was baptized that we see the Holy Spirit descending on him like a dove. When Anninias comes to give Saul back his sight the first thing he tells him is to rise and be baptized for the forgiveness of his sins. And, as you have pointed out, Jesus did seem to make it a very important issue regarding one's salvation in the passage of Mark 16:16.

So, my encouragement is to join which ever fellowship you believe best exemplifies and teaches the truth. I'm not familiar with all non-denom fellowships, but I know that some do practice believers baptism. If the one you are considering absolutely doesn't practice it, then yes, I'd be wary.

God bless you in your decision. Above all pray and ask God to give you an answer.
In Christ, Ted

Upvote 0
Apr 14, 2011
✟9,428.00
Faith
Christian

I wonder what would happen if a Baptist asks me if I have been "Water Baptized"? I would answer, "Yes! I have been Baptized" but I would rather not answer the mode of baptism I was baptized with.

Do you, viewers, think it's possible for Baptists to accept my word for it and add me to their church membership or will I have to go to church as a non-member for the rest of my life?

I'll just worship as the member of the body of Christ.

Upvote 0

MatthewDiscipleofGod

Senior Veteran
Feb 6, 2002
Minnesota
Visit site
✟20,802.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I wonder what would happen if a Baptist asks me if I have been "Water Baptized"? I would answer, "Yes! I have been Baptized" but I would rather not answer the mode of baptism I was baptized with.

Do you, viewers, think it's possible for Baptists to accept my word for it and add me to their church membership or will I have to go to church as a non-member for the rest of my life?

I'll just worship as the member of the body of Christ.

Why not just have a believers baptism where you are immersed in water as demonstrated in the Bible?

Upvote 0
Apr 14, 2011
✟9,428.00
Faith
Christian
Why not just have a believers baptism where you are immersed in water as demonstrated in the Bible?
I mean, I've done that, been there and don't need to do it again. The baptism I've done is suitable for me and my belief what the instructions are regarding baptism is enough for it not to be repeated.

We're instructed to be baptized once.

If I need to prove it again, then I must not follow the membership plan of that church.

Upvote 0

MatthewDiscipleofGod

Senior Veteran
Feb 6, 2002
Minnesota
Visit site
✟20,802.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I mean, I've done that, been there and don't need to do it again. The baptism I've done is suitable for me and my belief what the instructions are regarding baptism is enough for it not to be repeated.

We're instructed to be baptized once.

If I need to prove it again, then I must not follow the membership plan of that church.

If you are saying you have had believers baptism by immersion most Baptist churches will accept that. A small number would still require you to be baptized at their church before membership.

Upvote 0