• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Alternative Remedies for sleep, anxiety and depression

RuthD

blah blah blah
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2006
Earth
✟191,472.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
This thread is not to tell people to take the alternative remedies but just to say what you have tried that has or has not helped. I've been looking into alternatives to antidepressants, anti-anxiety, and sleep herbal remedies. I am looking into these because I feel all the meds prescribed me are making me gain weight and just want to eat all the time. I can't stand it any more. I am going to talk to my psychiatric nurse practitioner today about these herbs. Does anyone have any stories about how these herbs or supplements have helped them?

Press On

Giving up what I am to become what I will be.
May 11, 2013
East TX
✟231,202.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
This thread is not to tell people to take the alternative remedies but just to say what you have tried that has or has not helped. I've been looking into alternatives to antidepressants, anti-anxiety, and sleep herbal remedies. I am looking into these because I feel all the meds prescribed me are making me gain weight and just want to eat all the time. I can't stand it any more. I am going to talk to my psychiatric nurse practitioner today about these herbs. Does anyone have any stories about how these herbs or supplements have helped them?
Ruth, I have read both horror stories and victory stories. As with pharmaceuticals, I believe herbal remedies affect different people differently.

I am certainly not an expert, but I see nothing wrong with your exploring other possibilities.

Years ago I took L-tryptophan (sp?) and St. Johns Wort, the over-the-counter stuff found in the vitamin section but the results were not good for me. Frankly, I can't remember the exact issues (I think rash was one of them) since this was around 20-25 years ago.

I am enjoying the miracle of taking almost no antidepressants since Feb 1, but this is under my doc's supervision and a direct leading of the Lord after praying several nights in a row about what He wanted. It was frightening because the last time I quit meds out of anger I was very sick. But I felt Him telling me He was with me in this and it was time. I still have severe sleep issues, though.

Unfortunately, I gained weight but only about 6 pounds. Hope you find something that works for you.:hug:

Upvote 0

Jeshu

Bought by His Blood
Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2005
One of the Greatest Places on Earth.
✟600,188.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
At the moment I'm taking Anacardium to manage my voices and hallucinations, I don't know if you get those symptoms but it is working really good after just 2 weeks the voices disappeared completely as well as the rage. (I'm stopping my anti-psychotics) Years ago I was also on Vitamins from Truehope they did help against depression, and brought me lots of energy, but didn't control my high time or psychotic episodes. You need someone to sponsor you though the cost is extreme, I was paying $100.00 a week and that is years ago, my Church helped me out at the time I tried it. I've also heard that probiotics is really good to treat depression it that might work for you, it did help my daughter overcome her anxiety and depression. However check out if you have Candida first, because probiotics feed those and will make your condition worse. I've just gone through a 6 weeks sugarless and yeastless diet to get rid of the Candida and then I'll try probiotics to see if it will improve my anxiety and depression. I let you know if I get good results.

Reactions: RuthD
Upvote 0

RuthD

blah blah blah
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2006
Earth
✟191,472.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Ruth, I have read both horror stories and victory stories. As with pharmaceuticals, I believe herbal remedies affect different people differently.

I am certainly not an expert, but I see nothing wrong with your exploring other possibilities.

Years ago I took L-tryptophan (sp?) and St. Johns Wort, the over-the-counter stuff found in the vitamin section but the results were not good for me. Frankly, I can't remember the exact issues (I think rash was one of them) since this was around 20-25 years ago.

I am enjoying the miracle of taking almost no antidepressants since Feb 1, but this is under my doc's supervision and a direct leading of the Lord after praying several nights in a row about what He wanted. It was frightening because the last time I quit meds out of anger I was very sick. But I felt Him telling me He was with me in this and it was time. I still have severe sleep issues, though.

Unfortunately, I gained weight but only about 6 pounds. Hope you find something that works for you.:hug:
I saw my psychiatric nurse practioner the other day. He mentioned that Valarian root is good for sleep. I have to research it though because when I used to have a liver disease they advised against valalarian. You still have to be careful with the alternatives, too, I know.

Reactions: Press On
Upvote 0

RuthD

blah blah blah
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2006
Earth
✟191,472.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
At the moment I'm taking Anacardium to manage my voices and hallucinations, I don't know if you get those symptoms but it is working really good after just 2 weeks the voices disappeared completely as well as the rage. (I'm stopping my anti-psychotics) Years ago I was also on Vitamins from Truehope they did help against depression, and brought me lots of energy, but didn't control my high time or psychotic episodes. You need someone to sponsor you though the cost is extreme, I was paying $100.00 a week and that is years ago, my Church helped me out at the time I tried it. I've also heard that probiotics is really good to treat depression it that might work for you, it did help my daughter overcome her anxiety and depression. However check out if you have Candida first, because probiotics feed those and will make your condition worse. I've just gone through a 6 weeks sugarless and yeastless diet to get rid of the Candida and then I'll try probiotics to see if it will improve my anxiety and depression. I let you know if I get good results.
I don't know what Anacardium is, never heard of it. I don't know if we have it in the USA. I don't hear voices or hallucinate. I have problems with PTSD, depression, sleep, anxiety. I will think about the probiotics and do some research on them.

Upvote 0

HannahElizaW

God Says It, THAT Settles It!
Feb 11, 2015
Oklahoma, USA
✟16,471.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Celibate
I think it's generally known among other students at the youth ministry in our church that I have some (form of) anxiety [issues], but only very little (if besides the one I told) know about my depression. Mardel's sell these, or what I call, 'anxiety-Crosses, where it's like a stress ball that you just squeeze only they're in the shape of a cross with a bit of molding to fit your hand a bit more comfortably and one was kind as to buy me a new one since the only other one I had was in bad condition...

Other than that... I think, in the moments of the crisis, or when you feel like an attack is about to come on.... I personally think it's a bit more comforting to get alone from other people, breathe....slowly...deep breaths......and pray.

Music has helped me coop to some level or degree... even before I became an actual believing Christian I used music to get me through... during stressful situations or when you feel really tense... slow/soft music helps... sad music can be questionable but it's better to temporarily steer away from music that seems loud and (bouncy(?))...

Last edited:
Reactions: Press On
Upvote 0

Jeshu

Bought by His Blood
Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2005
✟600,188.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I don't know what Anacardium is, never heard of it. I don't know if we have it in the USA. I don't hear voices or hallucinate. I have problems with PTSD, depression, sleep, anxiety. I will think about the probiotics and do some research on them.

Okay, I got PTSD as well and am currently using two fabulous remedies to help me deal with the trauma of the past and restore my health, this could benefit you as well Ruth.

The first one is called Staphysagria and helps us unblock emotions we have internalized after traumatic experiences. Just 30 minutes after I took the first dose of this remedy I found myself in tears for the little boy in me who was so terrible mistreated by my attackers all these years ago, I had always blamed myself before this event - it is and has taken an incredible burden of my inner being. Highly recommend it if you suffer from PTSD.

http://elixirs.com/products.cfm?productcode=S51

The other is called Aurum, it has done miracles for me in such a short time that it almost looks like a miracle. Friday I was deeply depressed, loveless and emotionless within two days of taking Aurum my depression was basically gone and I'm feeling so much better that I can't even begin to describe the change - the difference its huge - I'm doing things again!!!!)

http://www.westonaprice.org/holistic-healthcare/depresion-anxiety-and-homeopathy/

Give them a try Ruth if you are like me then your depression may also be caused by trauma the above two remedies are incredible in treating that. These remedies don't drug you or in any other way have symptoms you don't want but subtly unblock the blocks the trauma has caused to be within you. Neither are they expensive, and do you have to take them for the rest of your life, once they have healed you then you can go without medications and will no longer be plagued by depression, flashbacks, sadness or anxiety caused by events in the past.

So much better than psych medications to is almost unbelievable that such simple remedies do such good work.

Upvote 0

Jeshu

Bought by His Blood
Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2005
✟600,188.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I don't know what your local laws are like but another good remedy is Cannabis oil for sleeping. My sister in the Netherlands has been using low THC cannabis oil to treat her insomnia with very good success.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums