Almost impossible for rich to enter heaven?

hikersong

Walkin' and Singin'
Mar 15, 2009
Visit site
✟9,973.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
You really need to own all these things

I'll own the fact that this conversation is going nowhere fast. And as I am a part of the conversation I will take responsibility for stopping my involvement in it. No hard feelings Ray, but certainly some frustration. Not worth the time and effort to try and sort it though imo.

Upvote 0

mindfulness

Fear the Reaper - He's comin' for You.
Feb 5, 2012
Hell, seventh level
✟1,114.00
Faith
Calvinist
False dichotomy. There are those who recognize money is a tool, and that we are stewards over it

No it isn't.

There are two main schools of thought. Either you adhere to the one, or the other. Was being rich a bad thing or wasn't it? The prosperity preachers say it's a good thing! The average religious person says that it is not. There is little room for cohesion among those two views. Which side do you fall on?

Upvote 0

razeontherock

May 24, 2010
WI
✟35,597.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
No it isn't.

There are two main schools of thought. Which side do you fall on?

This is the very definition of a false dichotomy. You also continue to show why you have problems with the Faith; you encountered legitimate error in the Church, and didn't go along. That is commendable. Now, the thing to do is get back up, dust yourself off, and find a good Church. They do exist. It wouldn't surprise me at all if our lifetime sees them driven underground, restricted to house meetings and such, but that is not our plight yet. If that is the only way you can find a good Church you wouldn't be alone, but the current state of affairs isn't that bad. My experience is that congregations less than 5 years old are far more likely to be corruption free.

Upvote 0

mindfulness

Feb 5, 2012
Hell, seventh level
✟1,114.00
Faith
Calvinist
This is the very definition of a false dichotomy. You also continue to show why you have problems with the Faith; you encountered legitimate error in the Church, and didn't go along. That is commendable. Now, the thing to do is get back up, dust yourself off, and find a good Church. They do exist. It wouldn't surprise me at all if our lifetime sees them driven underground, restricted to house meetings and such, but that is not our plight yet. If that is the only way you can find a good Church you wouldn't be alone, but the current state of affairs isn't that bad. My experience is that congregations less than 5 years old are far more likely to be corruption free.

I don't get along well with authority or religion.

Where is my legitimate error?

Upvote 0

Booko

Poultry in Motion
Aug 14, 2006
Georgia
✟19,470.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
There are two main schools of thought. Either you adhere to the one, or the other. Was being rich a bad thing or wasn't it? The prosperity preachers say it's a good thing! The average religious person says that it is not. There is little room for cohesion among those two views. Which side do you fall on?

You didn't ask me, but I fall on this side:

The love of money is the root of all evil.

Which doesn't seem to fit neatly into either of your categories? Or does it?

As for prosperity theology, best not to ask me about that, I might be tempted to resort to vulgar language. :doh:

Upvote 0

razeontherock

May 24, 2010
WI
✟35,597.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
No, you're just blind apparently to the fact that you are either in camp A or camp B. You think you are special and unique, but are not.

I don't get along well with authority or religion.

Dang, I just replaced my irony meter and here you went and blew that one up too.

Where is my legitimate error?

Why don't we begin with you pretending you have authority over me that no religion claims?

Upvote 0

mindfulness

Feb 5, 2012
Hell, seventh level
✟1,114.00
Faith
Calvinist
Dang, I just replaced my irony meter and here you went and blew that one up too.

Why don't we begin with you pretending you have authority over me that no religion claims?

Are you senile? Who even wants authority over you? I think you need to get over yourself and stop imagining things.

Upvote 0

mindfulness

Feb 5, 2012
Hell, seventh level
✟1,114.00
Faith
Calvinist
You didn't ask me, but I fall on this side:

The love of money is the root of all evil.

Which doesn't seem to fit neatly into either of your categories? Or does it?

As for prosperity theology, best not to ask me about that, I might be tempted to resort to vulgar language. :doh:

I asked ray because he is a Christian and I was only addressing Christian beliefs about money, not other faiths.

what do you think about rich people though? I'm guessing you don't like them much, based on your vulgarity comment.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

razeontherock

May 24, 2010
WI
✟35,597.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Are you senile? Who even wants authority over you? I think you need to get over yourself and stop imagining things.

It's exactly what you said, " I'm either in camp A or B." No, you have no such authority. You only imagine to.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

TamaraLynne

Veteran
Mar 13, 2006
Michigan
✟11,138.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
When we think we are rich...not in a money way...but when we think we are sin free and somehow better then others it causes us to look down upon others that we think are sinners...when that happens then love is not there...

When we can see ourselves as sinners and bring others up then we can all embrace each other in love...

In other words get off our pedestal we have placed beneath ourselves...all our ideas of how good we are.
Basically when we do all this and love our brethren we have become poor...but in Gods eyes we have just became rich.

Just wanted to point out that rich and poor have meanings relating to things not money related

Upvote 0

Wally Cleaver

Feb 9, 2012
U.S.
✟1,036.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
“It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of heaven” (Luke 18:25)

Comments on this. Why is it so hard for a rich man to enter heaven? Also since it's impossible for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, doesn't that it mean it's actually impossible for a rich man to enter the kingdom of heaven and actually makes the verse not make sense?

'Cuz you have to be corrupt, pretty much, to be rich.

When Jesus told that one dude to give his possessions to the poor and follow Him, the guy wouldn't because he owned much land.

According to the law, you have to return land to the original family on the Jubilee. So....this guys family probably hadn't returned the land, since he owned much land...so he's basically robbing the poor of their inheritance.

The Law and "free market" democracies are two totally different economic realities. If you love Roman law (Greek, democracy hybrids etc), you'll hate God's. If you hate God's law, he's not going to let you in.

I suppose there might be exceptions to this "rich mans dilemma", and also the question of what constitutes rich. But, I just don't really see how someone living his simple life of farming on his 7 acres or whatev Law style, can get obscenely wealthy like todays pyramid scheme, international banker ran nightmare governments.

So...in short, rich people don't keep the Law.

Upvote 0

TamaraLynne

Veteran
Mar 13, 2006
Michigan
✟11,138.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
When we think we are rich...not in a money way...but when we think we are sin free and somehow better then others it causes us to look down upon others that we think are sinners...when that happens then love is not there...

When we can see ourselves as sinners and bring others up then we can all embrace each other in love...

In other words get off our pedestal we have placed beneath ourselves...all our ideas of how good we are.
Basically when we do all this and love our brethren we have become poor...but in Gods eyes we have just became rich.

Just wanted to point out that rich and poor have meanings relating to things not money related
I would also like to add....a rich man(one with lots of money) who is rich in Gods eyes will will make it into heaven just fine.
Not to mention if he is rich in Gods eyes then he is probably spreading his wealth to help those in need...not only monetarily to help others but also he is spreading Gods love.

Upvote 0