Apr 22, 2004
✟753.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I was debating on whether to put this thread in "The Small Screen" forum.

Has anyone else seen the Ad Council PSA depicting the white guy, little girl, and the black woman getting on the elevator? When they get off the elevator, the guy has "Child Abuser" written across the back of his jacket, while the woman gets this strained look on her face and the narrator says "Trust your instincts".

This PSA airs constantly on our local cable channels.

Quite frankly, it just makes me sick. To me it just serves to foster the idea that all white males are child abusers. I'd be OK with it if they would have produced several versions to depict different races and both sexes as the child abuser.

If you've seen this PSA, what do you think of it?

Mr. Fields

Can't fool this cat...
Apr 22, 2004
✟753.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
The ad didn't specify whether it was speaking specifically about sexual abuse or just abuse in general. Even if it was, to tell people to "trust their instincts" regarding sexual abuse is just plain ludicrous. How could you, by standing on an elevator for 60 seconds, tell whether a kid was sexually abused or not, or whether the guy holding the kids hand was a sexual predator?

Now, if a kid had bruises on her that looked like she was being smacked around, that might be a good reason to make a phone call. But, there are as many women who abuse their kids as men, and I don't think race is a dividing line either. Hence my point.

Upvote 0

flicka

Contributor
Site Supporter
Dec 9, 2003
✟36,720.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
Mr. Fields said:
The ad didn't specify whether it was speaking specifically about sexual abuse or just abuse in general. Even if it was, to tell people to "trust their instincts" regarding sexual abuse is just plain ludicrous. How could you, by standing on an elevator for 60 seconds, tell whether a kid was sexually abused or not, or whether the guy holding the kids hand was a sexual predator?

Now, if a kid had bruises on her that looked like she was being smacked around, that might be a good reason to make a phone call. But, there are as many women who abuse their kids as men, and I don't think race is a dividing line either. Hence my point.

I haven't seen this ad but I have seen situations where i just get a 'hinky' feeling about the adult/child relationship. Everyones seen parents smacking their kids around in public places or cussing them out...but occasionally I see a man and child and just the way he touches them or tone of voice he takes...well I'd be lying if I said the thought didn't enter my mind. No hard evidence or anything but something puts the thought in my head...instinct maybe?

Upvote 0

Mr. Fields

Can't fool this cat...
Apr 22, 2004
✟753.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
flicka said:
I haven't seen this ad but I have seen situations where i just get a 'hinky' feeling about the adult/child relationship. Everyones seen parents smacking their kids around in public places or cussing them out...but occasionally I see a man and child and just the way he touches them or tone of voice he takes...well I'd be lying if I said the thought didn't enter my mind. No hard evidence or anything but something puts the thought in my head...instinct maybe?
So you would call Social Services on a "hinky feeling"? That's how people's lives are destroyed. And people wonder why some Dads are afraid to be close with their kids. :help:

Now don't get me wrong, obviously a child's life can be destroyed by sexual predators. I think the system as a whole is flawed. The problem is that people presume men under scrutiny to be guilty until proven innocent, and men who are proven guilty are given a slap on the wrist. Sexual predators should, at the very least be castrated, IMHO...

Upvote 0

flicka

Contributor
Site Supporter
Dec 9, 2003
✟36,720.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
Mr. Fields said:
So you would call Social Services on a "hinky feeling"? That's how people's lives are destroyed. And people wonder why some Dads are afraid to be close with their kids. :help:.

No. I would not do anything based on a feeling. I was just pointing out that I do get them sometimes.

Upvote 0

Mr. Fields

Can't fool this cat...
Apr 22, 2004
✟753.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
flicka said:
No. I would not do anything based on a feeling. I was just pointing out that I do get them sometimes.
Ah, OK. Well I apologize for jumping all over you... Thanks for clarifying.

I can't say I haven't had a sixth sense feeling about such things myself, but I'd have to have pretty hard evidence in order to actually make a call, and that's my point. This PSA is telling people to call SS on someone (specifically white males) based on nothing more than a hunch.

Upvote 0

flicka

Contributor
Site Supporter
Dec 9, 2003
✟36,720.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
Mr. Fields said:
Ah, OK. Well I apologize for jumping all over you... Thanks for clarifying.

I can't say I haven't had a sixth sense feeling about such things myself, but I'd have to have pretty hard evidence in order to actually make a call, and that's my point. This PSA is telling people to call SS on someone (specifically white males) based on nothing more than a hunch.

S'ok :wave: I didn't really make it clear...lol

I'd like to see that ad...or maybe I wouldn't if it's like you say. I'd really hate to to give anyone the power to call authorities without some kind of evidence of abuse!!

Upvote 0
J

Jeremiah the Bullfrog

Mr. Fields, get back to work. :p

I do not think that is right. I do not have a problem with someone calling the authorities based on a simple hunch. What I do have a problem with is when the authorities act on those hunches without sufficient evidence.

I have heard stories of people that have had CPS called on them. They told them to come back with a search warrant. They never came back. I guess that says something.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums