US
✟1,127,091.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
I've been up wrapping gifts for myself, in aluminum foil, for the upcoming event.

Solar storms are imminent. We can expect to get hit on 5/10 in the evening; and they will last through the weekend. The producer of this video predicts a 10% chance of a killshot; but less severe effects are almost a certainty.

I'm wrapping my SW radio, my inverter, a LED flashlight. and some solar equipment. I already have some very large lead acid batteries on full charge.

HARK!

שמע
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Site Supporter
Oct 29, 2017
US
✟1,127,091.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
P.S. Rats! I almost forgot! I need to wrap a laptop with all of my homestead, prepper, and survival information on it. I had plans to buy more foil this week; but I didn't get to it. I should probably jump on that tomorrow.

Reactions: Hazelelponi
Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,267,366.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
P.S. Rats! I almost forgot! I need to wrap a laptop with all of my homestead, prepper, and survival information on it. I had plans to buy more foil this week; but I didn't get to it. I should probably jump on that tomorrow.
Plain old aluminum foil does a moderate to poor job as a Faraday Cage. Better the heavy duty thicker stuff. Also it really matters how the corners are folded. All this was tested by putting a cell phone inside various commercially available Faraday Cages and home made ones with aluminum foil.

I unplugged my computers and the network for a day but didn't bag anything up. Thought about it though. I have a galvanized steel box with a tight fitting steel lid. A bit of aluminum foil around the edge and I'm probably good. But to be sure I can put a phone inside it and try to call it.

Reactions: HARK!
Upvote 0

HARK!

שמע
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Site Supporter
Oct 29, 2017
US
✟1,127,091.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
I ended up running out and buying a 55 gallon steel drum; so I had the foil and the drum for protection.

Turns out that the solar storms didn't seem to do any damage in my area anyway. I didn't hear any complaints; but at least now I'm better prepared; and I'm leaving some items in the drum, so that I'm always prepared for a solar storm, or an EMP.

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,267,366.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
There will some day be a direct and powerful solar flare that does damage. And it seems we are more at risk now for an EMP than in decades.

Reactions: HARK!
Upvote 0