Vellore, India
✟664,706.00
Country
India
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
I have asked this before but I wanted to ask in a different forum.
After research I have noticed alcohol is not a sin, drunkeness is.

However I still feel guilty If I were to have a beer or two?

Would like some insight.
In the bible it says if we feel guilty its a sin to us.
I have been brought up my whole life alcohol is bad so maybe thats why i feel this way?

Also, maybe because the culture looks at alcohol as worldly and since things are viewed differently now, I wouldnt want someone to stumble and think im living in sin "only because alcohol is such a problem these days"

advice
I would agree with you Josh. Even the Apostle Paul advised Timothy to drink some wine due to his stomach infection. However, only you can decide this in consulation with the Lord. Happy New Year son :).

• Agree
Reactions: Antig
Upvote 0

Catherineanne

Sep 1, 2004
Europe
✟76,860.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Widowed
LEVITICUS.10: = 8 Then the Lord spoke to Aaron, saying: 9 “Do not drink wine or intoxicating drink, you, nor your sons with you, when you go into the tabernacle of meeting, lest you die. ..."
Unless new Christians are already alcoholics or addicts, they should stay away from alcohol or other intoxicating/psychotropic drugs, eg sleeping pills, marijuana, nicotine, caffeine, cocaine, etc.

There is no reason a Christian should abstain completely from caffeine, or indeed alcohol. Caffeine is found in tea, coffee and chocolate, inter alia. It is also used in some pain killers.

What matters is to be careful and moderate in our consumption of such things, not to simply write them off because they are 'drugs.' A cup of tea is not a drug.

• Agree
Reactions: Antig
Upvote 0

discipler7

Oct 5, 2017
tog
✟42,302.00
Country
Heard Island And Mcdonald Islands
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Doug Melven said:
Psychotropic drugs, sleeping pills, marijuana and cocaine are controllers themselves. Stay away.
Can you talk more about this please?
In normal people, their brains begin to secrete more stimulating neurotransmitters when the sun rises in the morning(=triggered by light sensors in the eyes), eg serotonin, dopamine, adrenaline, acetyl choline, etc which serve to elevate mood, improve mental concentration, alertness, increase energy level and muscle strength, etc, in order to prepare the body for a day of physical activity to earn their livelihood(=in ancient times, it was farming, hunting, fishing, etc) or to start the work-day.
.......Conversely, their brains begin to secrete more sedating neurotransmitters when the sun sets at night, eg GABA, endorphin(=painkiller and anti-depressant), melatonin(=sleepiness), etc; which serve to slow down(=inhibit) and calm the mind, relax the muscles, numb down any pain/depression, etc, in order to prepare the body for a night of restful sleep.

Psychotropic drugs are artificial analogues of these natural neuroT's produced by the brain, ie drugs mimic neuroT's. Alcohol, heroin, morphine, oxycodone(=opiod painkiller), anxiolytics/sleeping pills, anesthetics, etc are sedatives. Caffeine, nicotine, methamphetamine/ice, cocaine, etc are stimulants.
.......Such artificial drugs cause tempting emotions of euphoria or total calmness and addiction/dependency when they are wrongly and excessively used. Eg Opiod painkillers, anti-anxiety pills and sleeping pills should be taken at the prescribed dosage and for not more than 3 weeks.

Also, children of alcoholics(and/or drug-addicts) will inherit alcoholism(= born with altered or damaged DNA/brains, eg crack-babies and meth-babies) and will grow up to experience the associated withdrawal symptoms = abnormal or defective personality. The withdrawal symptoms of alcoholism are symptoms of an over-active, uncalm and over-sensitive brain = nervousness/anxieties, sweaty palms, muscle tics, over-thinking, difficulty falling asleep/insomnia, paranoia, delusions, etc.

This is bc alcohol(and also prescription anxiolytics, depressant, sleeping pills, etc) works by slowing down brain activity, calming the person, relaxing muscles and numbing pain, resulting in sedation, anxiolysis, mental relaxation, elimination of social inhibition, slowed muscle coordination, painlessness, etc.
.......Over-consumption of alcohol result in drunkenness(=brain becomes too slow and too calm) and eventually a comatosed sleep(brain activity stopped) and waking up with hangover headaches.

Alcohol, being an analogue of the brain's own naturally-produced neuroT's(=GABA, endorphin, melatonin, etc). When consumed daily and long term(= more than 1 month), it will result in the brain stopping the production of its own neuroTs = the body's/brain's negative-feedback response system. This results in addiction or dependency, ie the altered/damaged-brain requires alcohol in order to function normally.

Once addicted, alcoholics or the descendants of alcoholics(or drug-addicts) should remain on a maintenance dose of alcohol or anxiolytic pills, in order to stave off the terrible withdrawal symptoms(= Delirium Tremens). This is similar to a Type2 diabetic, who has damaged pancreas, being "addicted/dependent" on daily doses of life-sustaining insulin to survive for the rest of his/her life, in order for the body to function normally, wrt blood glucose level; if not...

The other alternative is for the alcoholics to keep themselves off alcohol and become social recluse since their brains cannot function normally without alcohol. Their life will be filled with withdrawal symptoms, eg an uncalm and over-active mind(= nervousness/anxiety).

Often, alcoholics and drug addicts may replace their addiction with another addictive drug like prescription pills, nicotine, caffeine, cocaine, etc, which is not the same as being really cured of addiction or being fully rehabilitated.

Bear in mind that the average adult body eliminates alcohol at a constant rate of about 30ml per hour. What does this mean.?
.......1 bottle of red wine(=750ml at 13% concentration of alcohol) has about 90ml of alcohol. Drinking 1 bottle of wine at 1 go will leave the body with more than 60ml of alcohol in the bloodstream during the 1st hour. This enhances the calming or sedating effects of alcohol that has been consumed, compared to just drinking 2 glasses of red wine(=no kick). That is why many alcoholics go for binge-drinking, in order to get more "bang"(effects) out of it, ie drinking 2-3 bottles of beer at one sitting.

The body's natural Fight-or-Flight response can also affect normal people, addicts and the descendants of addicts, depending on their life choices, ie may result in Bipolar Disorder or cycles of mania and depression, if they choose an outgoing lifestyle and job description.
.......This naturally built-in F-o-F response is to cater for emergency situations, eg stumbling upon a tiger while hunting in the jungle. This response enables the person to either flee from or fight off the tiger by giving him/her superhuman-strength, -energy, -concentration, -confidence, -painlessness, -alertness, -elevated mood, -etc.

If used smartly and judiciously(=no over-consumption), alcoholics, drug-addicts and smokers can live quite long, eg Paul McCartney, Mick Jagger, etc.. Suddenly, skipping the prescribed medication or going cold turkey on drugs/alcohol may be more risky and/or life-threatening, eg make rash life decisions, brain haemorrhage/stroke or heart failure.

Upvote 0

Boaz308

Dec 27, 2017
Tulsa
✟10,108.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
If you feel guilty about it, don't. You've already stated that. So quit trying to convince yourself that it isn't a sin. Think about the objective of what you are doing with the thread....
You are attempting to justify drinking alcohol when you currently see it as not so good....
That's messed up.
It sounds more to me like the OP is beginning to realize the difference between religion and Jesus. Or to say it another way the doctrines of men vs. the doctrines of God. Any body that grew up in the church today has a bunch of "religious" ideas in there head. Those things can die hard! But Jesus wants us to be set free. So basically he knows that having a beer is not a biblical law or rule anywhere but has been taught as such by so many for so long that the bigger implication is when Paul in 2 Corinthians 11:4 talks about those proclaiming a different message, a different jesus and a different spirit. At some point you start questioning everything, and it can be a challenging spiritual time, but refreshing and a great awakening as well!

Reactions: Doug Melven
Upvote 0

Jonathan Leo

Dec 18, 2017
Cork
✟16,857.00
Country
Ireland
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Would like some insight.
I have been brought up my whole life alcohol is bad so maybe thats why i feel this way?

Also, maybe because the culture looks at alcohol as worldly and since things are viewed differently now, I wouldnt want someone to stumble and think im living in sin "only because alcohol is such a problem these days"

advice
If your conscience is against having one or two, then stay away from it.
I know drinking alcohol is not a sin, getting drunk is.
Scripture says give a dying man strong alcohol and to drink alcohol in our times of stress.
I believe if your mourning a death, it’s ok to get drunk, or if you are the one dying in pain, drink strong stuff to ease the pain.
Where the problem lies and I am witness to it, is getting drunk for the sake of it. (Going out with the lads)
Recently I have being doing this, you know with Christmas and all that. When in those drunken states, lust tends to come around me. One night because of this lust, I went and looked at inappropriate content. Bloody drink, I hate it and have decided it will not be a regular thing for me anymore. I’d much prefer to ho our God than have drinking buddies.
The day after that night, I felt guilty and so I should. I apologised and I know I’m forgiven but was annoyed all the same.
A scripture came to mind,
Don’t look at it sparkling in the cup and revel in its beauty, it goes down smoother than honey or oil but in the end it bites like a viper.
I now know it’s best if I don’t drink anymore, and my point to you is,
If you feel you shouldn’t drink alcohol, then don’t. You’re not missing much and are gaining if anything.

Be sober minded for the devil roams around looking who he can devour. And when we over step the pinnacle of merry and drunkenness, BANG, the b-a-s-tard has ya.

Upvote 0

Buzz_B

Oct 15, 2017
Northwest Ohio
✟13,943.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced

Would like some insight.

advice
Along with some good answers you have already received, I would like to help you understand why faith has to be involved in all that we do.

What is God primarily looking for in us? He looks to find that we are faithful in love. We can have little knowledge and yet be approved of in the eyes of God if we are faithful in doing our best to live God's love. And to do that we must obey our conscience, for we are not being faithful when we go against our conscience.

God only needs to get the fuller truth through to a few in this life so that he has teachers to serve in the new heavens and new earth to come. And then all who are faithful now will have the opportunity to joyfully learn what they were too labored to be able to learn in this life.

Understand that there is a danger connected to doctrines. Doctrines can be applied like law to beat up each other. Any time we let a doctrine move us to harshly judge others whom we may think are wrong, we are judging those who are living by what their consciences tell them. And by that we are violating God's love and not being found faithful, all the while not even realizing the err of our way.

We also need to get rid of the enemy based mentality born of sin and realize that our real enemy is sin instead of seeing other people as our enemies. But we cannot do that when we have set doctrine up as though it is law to be observed like but another externally written code of letters.

Upvote 0

dogs4thewin

dog lover
Christian Forums Staff
Hands-on Trainee
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2012
Georgia U.S. State
✟894,229.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
In most cases there is nothing wrong with drinking. The exceptions would be if drinking is illegal in your situation, so if I am 18 and out with friends downtown in the states ( where the minimum drinking age is 21). that would be a sin. It is also a sin if you feel guilty ( a sin for you or if you are drink around people who have had alcohol issues or REQUEST that you do not drink that is a sin. HOWEVER, if I am at home or around people who do not care and of legal age you are fine.

Upvote 0

JacksBratt

Searching for Truth
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2014
✟570,656.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
LEVITICUS.10: = 8 Then the Lord spoke to Aaron, saying: 9 “Do not drink wine or intoxicating drink, you, nor your sons with you, when you go into the tabernacle of meeting, lest you die. ..."
Unless new Christians are already alcoholics or addicts, they should stay away from alcohol or other intoxicating/psychotropic drugs, eg sleeping pills, marijuana, nicotine, caffeine, cocaine, etc.
Was the Lord not speaking to Aaron in this way due to them being the bloodline of the Priesthood?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

dqhall

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2015
Florida
Visit site
✟766,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Would like some insight.

advice

A person may be a Christian whether or not he/she drinks alcohol. Some people were addicted to alcohol and choose to avoid it entirely. This is better than living life as a drunk.

People were putting down Christians whether they drank alcohol or not:
Luke 7:33 (WEB) "For John the Baptizer came neither eating bread nor drinking wine, and you say, 'He has a demon.' 34 The Son of Man has come eating and drinking, and you say, 'Behold, a gluttonous man, and a drunkard; a friend of tax collectors and sinners!' 35 Wisdom is justified by all her children."

Iceland's population is among the longest living of any nation. They drank about 2/3 of the average annual alcohol consumption of developed nations. If alcohol were as bad as some make it out to be, the Muslim nations would be living longer than the nations where there is alcohol consumption, but such is not the case.

There were Seventh Day Adventists who did not drink alcohol or smoke and avoided eating meat who lived to be 100 (The Blue Zones Solution, Dan Buettner).

Upvote 0

JacksBratt

Searching for Truth
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2014
✟570,656.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married

Would like some insight.

advice
IMO, if you feel guilty, there is a reason.

From what others here have stated... drinking an alcoholic drink is not a sin. Too much is a sin. What you do when you are under the influence is or could be a sin.

First, find out why you feel guilty... If you never get over this... as they say, if in doubt... don't do it.

For others, that is up to them.

I drink the odd drink. Wine, beer, a whiskey once in a while...

My dad loved beer. He never drank it or bought it due to the fact that he knew that people associated him with the image of a Christian and he did not want to cause anyone to stumble.

Upvote 0

2Timothy2:15

Mar 28, 2016
CA
✟78,248.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Would like some insight.

advice

I do not think you are feeling "guilty". I think that is the Holy Spirit convicting you not to drink. There is a reason, and it is best to just obey.

Upvote 0

2Timothy2:15

Mar 28, 2016
CA
✟78,248.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
so what is the difference in not being given to wine and not being given to much wine?

One says no wine at all if you read it and the other says not too much. In my opinion it seems clear that once one is mature in the Lord they come to the wisdom and growth that it is better to not drink period. But for those who want to do gymnastics and justify their drinking surely they will try and find reasons it is ok. It is important to note that wine in those days was very very low in alcohol and not like the wine we know today. Mostly for sanitary reasons.

Reactions: JoshFL
Upvote 0

Mountainmanbob

Goat Whisperer
Site Supporter
Sep 6, 2016
✟1,096,353.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
A little ( which usually turns to too much) booze for me has proven to be sin. My wife drinks a glass of wine most every evening and it has proven to not be sin for her.

Holy Spirit has a way to point those sins out. Then it's up to us to repent and respect.

It's not good to grieve the Holy Spirit.

M-Bob

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Kit Sigmon

May 18, 2016
USA
✟76,189.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Romans 14:15-21
If your brother or sister is distressed because of what you eat, you are no longer acting in love.
Do not by your eating destroy someone for whom Christ died.
Therefore do not let what you know is good be spoken of as evil.
For the kingdom of God is not a matter of eating and drinking, but of righteousness, peace and joy in the Holy Spirit, because anyone who serves Christ in this way is pleasing to God and receives human approval.
Let us therefore make every effort to do what leads to peace and to mutual edification.
Do not destroy the work of God for the sake of food.
All food is clean, but it is wrong for a person to eat anything that causes someone else to stumble.
It is better not to eat meat or drink wine or to do anything else that will cause your brother or sister to fall.

• Agree
Reactions: 2Timothy2:15
Upvote 0

Myychael

Site Supporter
Dec 14, 2010
✟79,084.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married

Would like some insight.

advice

Hello Josh the question comes up quite a bit being a Christian one will come into contact with new Christians some will be former alcoholic’s some will be former drug users and then you have the general public who are not Christians would if an alcoholic or a former alcoholic came to your house would you offer him a drink or have alcohol around him or her alcohol is like smokes to a former smoker some have the taste for alcohol and smokes years after they quit some don’t .i myself do not hang with
Christians that drink I haven’t consumed alcohol in over 15 years I like alcohol and abused it so it’s not
For me,common sense would tell a person to leave alcohol alone the use of it has broken up homes,
Led to unwanted pregnancies it lowers inhibition,men cheating on their wives and wives on husbands
It will also help you to lose what control of your tongue that you may possess or may not possess.
It’s a personality changer that is why the Bible speaks mostly against it being used or being very careful
On using it.I my self fear it I no the harm and potential harm it can do to a person and the family.Josh
Most people can’t drink one 12 ounce beer or one shot of bourbon just remember your children and the
Unsaved are watching you and Satan or one of his is just waiting for an opportunity well you no the answere to your own question a beer or two or threeee uuuhh how many was that oh well.Josh if your going to drink drink but please don’t use the BIBLE GODS WORD when you drink to much and things go sour and say GOD said it was ok to drink it’s in the BIBLE. I apologize I just no the dangers and I have heard JESUS get the blame because he turned water into wine peeps use this all the time.
GOD Bless

Upvote 0

Grip Docility

Nov 27, 2017
North America
✟83,768.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Would like some insight.

advice

M8...

Jesus turned water to wine. And... people were drunk off their tails on that wine...

As it says... The good wine is usually put out first... but it alludes that eventually... the guests get so drunk they can start putting out the cheap stuff! ... But Jesus’ wine was the yummiest and came last.

Now... if you feel it is a sin... then your own conscience should be your guide...

I will tell you this... I drink for real... as in I do get drunk and I thank God for His Love that we have so many joys in life... but... I can not drink for eons... and it’s no big.

Don’t throw an alcoholic off the wagon or try to change t totaling Tammy... just be you in Jesus and as you feel convicted and live in harmony with all.

That’s my most honest answer..

All Love in Jesus to you...

One more thing... Alcohol takes away the old filter... so I never drink around people I don’t trust in a Christian values sort of way.

Last edited:
Upvote 0