The Nihilist

Contributor
Sep 14, 2006
✟16,289.00
Faith
Atheist
Drinking is not bad. Being drunk is not bad, unless it makes you do stupid stuff. And I don't mean regular stupid stuff either, I mean stuff that you're ashamed of a year later that made all your friends hate you. Oh yeah, alcoholism is bad too. If neither one of these applies to you, though, don't worry about quitting. Drink in moderation and things will be fine for you.

Upvote 0

Blackguard_

Don't blame me, I voted for Kodos.
Feb 9, 2004
Tucson
✟18,992.00
Faith
Lutheran
Would it be proper for a christian to take a drink? I know Jesus' first miracle was to turn several buckets of water into wine for a friends wedding.
Yes. Jesus even told us to drink wine in rememberence of him. And St. Paul (or whoever wrote 1 Timothy) said to drink wine to.

The idea alcohol is evil in christianity an ancient belief going all the way back to the early 19th century.

Im trying to quit drinking, but its hard.
Why are you trying to quit?

Upvote 0

divalishous

Nov 29, 2006
✟7,879.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The Bible says to not drink to the point of debauchary, or to sinful nature. Of course the most common lapse in judgement is probably "hooking up" as far is alcohol is concerned. Besides promiscious behavior, you should not endanger the lives of others. (DUI, or physical violence)

Upvote 0

scraparcs

aka Mayor McCheese
Mar 4, 2002
Massachusetts
✟91,578.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
If you're trying to quit drinking, perhaps you should consider not drinking at all. Abstinence from alcohol is no sin, just as drinking in moderation if you are not prone to alcohol abuse is not sinful.

However, a drink can be an occasion of sin for some.

Upvote 0

rambot

Apr 13, 2006
Up your nose....wid a rubbah hose.
✟367,450.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
I lean towards RP's interpretation.
Jesus said that it isn't what goes into your mouth that makes you unclean but what comes out of it.
I use that as a metaphor for everything: If I do/injest anything that makes me do something that I feel is wrong (when I'm sober/straight) I won't/don't do it.

Upvote 0

Emmy

Senior Veteran
Feb 15, 2004
✟50,995.00
Faith
Salvation Army
Dear LonneWolf, I sincerely believe that Alcohol is a legitimate offspring of Satan, and for those who think they are immune to Alcohol`s side-effects, they are asking for trouble. It is true that Jesus turned water into wine, but if you read it again, Jesus also told His Mother, " I am not ready yet, to start miracles," and when Mary told the servant to fill water into a container, Jesus did it to please His Mother, because the wine had run out. I also believe the wine was good, but not very strong, and it hurts me when men and women continually accept this miracle of the Lord, as an encouragement, or excuse, to drink. Some wine is good for us, and taken in moderration, it might even be beneficial, But Alcohol-misuse is still a death-trap. I say this with love and humility,LonneWolf, and send greetings. Emmy, your sister in Christ.

Upvote 0

MikeMcK

Apr 10, 2002
✟13,732.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
The Bible doesn't specifically teach against alcohol, but it does warn against the abuse of alcohol, against drunkenness, and against drinking (even in moderation) in such a way that will cause a weaker brother to stumble.

For me, personally, God has given me the liberty to drink alcohol in moderation, but I won't hold my liberty over someone else and, if they have a conviction not to drink, I'll support them.

The funny thing is, even though I feel that God has given me the liberty to drink in moderation, the more I grow in Christ, the less I want to drink alcohol.

It's not a sin, but to keep it from becoming a sin, there are some important questions to ask:

1. Has God given me the liberty to drink with a clean conscience?

2. How much am I drinking?

3. Why am I drinking?

4. Is my drinking causing someone else to stumble, or tempting someone else to sin?

5. Is my drinking putting me into situations where I'm tempted to sin?

6. Is my drinking (even if it's in moderation) an idol? If God asked me to stop tomorrow, would I? **

**NOTE: I'm not talking about addiction, I'm talking about obedience.**

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Harlan Norris

Jun 20, 2005
Aurora Co
✟10,455.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Would it be proper for a christian to take a drink? I know Jesus' first miracle was to turn several buckets of water into wine for a friends wedding. Im trying to quit drinking, but its hard.
If you are trying to quit,then you have reason to do so. You have decided that your drinking is causing you problems. I quit for the same reason. Details are unimportant. Still there are those for whom alchohol is not a problem. For them, I'd say taking a drink is ok. The clear test for who is who in this matter,is essentially whether or not one's desire for a drink,is stronger than his or her will to abstain. Judge for yourself who you are,and act accordingly.

Upvote 0

amused

Oct 10, 2006
west australia
Visit site
✟15,363.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Greens
I had a bit of an alcoholic stint for a little while. (If thats what I could call it for lack of a better explanation.) I really enjoy a beer with mates or even just a quiet one at home. Beer is good for the kidneys but a lot of beer is bad for the liver. I think its a case of looking after our bodies (which I am SO not good at).

I gave up drinking alcohol for about a year after I became a slave to it for a while (did that to try and push down the pain I was in emotionally). I spent some time seeking God and getting counselling because it was effecting my everyday life. There were deeper issues that I needed to address. What are your motives for drinking?

Moderation is a good thing.

cheers ;)

Upvote 0

Robinsegg

SuperMod L's
Site Supporter
Mar 1, 2006
Near the Mississippi
✟63,126.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
There's an in-house debate over whether drinking alcohol at all is a sin or not.

I'm in the "not" camp. It's not a sin, though drunkenness is.

That said, it would be sin for me. I joined a church (at an early age, then again a different church with the same thing) which had a "church covenant", including not buying, selling or drinking alcohol as a beverage. Thus, for me it would be breaking covenant and sinning.

Rachel

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

BereanTodd

Missionary Heart
Nov 26, 2006
Houston, Tx
✟11,542.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Drinking is no sin, drunkeness is. If you think you need to give it up, I'm assuming that it is causing some problem in your life, or that you are addicted/an alchoholic. In that case it is best to give it up, because drunkeness is a sin, and you need to not cause yourself to stumble.

Let me use myself as an example. I was a heavy drinker at a yonuger age. I wasn't raised in a Christian home and by 20 I was basically an alchoholic. I was bad. I gave up drinking eventually, though it was hard. For more then 7 years I completely abstained, didn't touch a drop.

Since then though I have found the freedom in Christ to be able to control myself. I can now have a drink and not be tempted. I never have more than 2, and rarely have more than 1. I go days, even weeks without having any. I can drink as I please and control it. But in order for me to get to this point it took many years of abstinence and Christian growth.

So again ... if you are just giving it up because you think/thought it was a sin to drink. I wouldn't worry about it. If it is causing you to stumble/sin then I would give it up entirely. Not because in and of itself drinking is sinful, but because it is leading you into sin, and that is bad.

Upvote 0

justanobserver

Still Wondering...
Oct 26, 2005
✟17,559.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Private
Alcohol
Would it be proper for a christian to take a drink? I know Jesus' first miracle was to turn several buckets of water into wine for a friends wedding. Im trying to quit drinking, but its hard.

I am not a christian (am an old backslider tho) but as far as a christian drinking - my views are this:

to each his own as far as right or wrong. For me, it would be sin to drink - I am a recovering alcoholic (been sober for over 2 yrs now) but or others, it would not. It is sin to be drunk, the Word clearly spells that out. It is not a sin, IMHO, to have a drink.

If you have questions, concerns about being christian and drinking, I invite you to check out the Alcohol Abuse forum here at CF and talk to the recovering alcoholic christians that post there.

But, as far as sin - thats betwen you and your God and your (key word here) CONVICTIONS.

Upvote 0

Ravn

Dec 7, 2006
✟7,698.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
In Relationship
Unless Alcohol is ruining your life ie Alcoholic/ too much drunkness then why quit?

Drinking is fun in moderation and would not be there for no reason. In the ancient world wine was healthier than water and today wine can still be healthy. As long as no one gets hurt there is no harm . . . especially your self.

Upvote 0

rambot

Apr 13, 2006
Up your nose....wid a rubbah hose.
✟367,450.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
I drink maybe once a week. I get drunk maybe once a month. I sit around and talk with friends; don't say anything (more) awkward (than I usually would) and don't do anything stupid.
I am not under the thumb of getting drunk.... though I DO admit that the taste of beer has become enjoyable (again though, not more than once a week).

I don't feel like I am sinning and I don't think that I AM sinning.

Upvote 0

christalee4

Senior Veteran
Apr 11, 2005
✟5,083.00
Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Drinking is no sin, drunkeness is.

Alcohol affects everybody differently, but regardless, it affects one's body and mind, in one way or another. It's a sedative drug that affects thinking almost immediately.

http://www.d12.com/Resources/alcohol.htm
http://www.tcada.state.tx.us/issues/danger.html
http://home.howstuffworks.com/alcohol6.htm

Alcohol is connected with millions of injuries and deaths each year, due to car accidents, heart disease, and it's the number one drug used in relation to assaults, murders and violence in general.

http://www.marininstitute.org/alcohol_policy/violence.htm
http://alcoholism.about.com/cs/alerts/l/blnaa38.htm

I highly commend your desire to stop drinking. It's not medicine that's good for everybody, that is for sure.

Upvote 0