Status
Not open for further replies.

caillan

Unknown quantity
Jan 17, 2004
✟441.00
Faith
Christian
Please could you pray for me as I struggle with my addiction to alcohol. It has got to the point that tonight I had a fight, my dog has mauled my hand as we fought over whether or not we should take him for a walk. I am a commited Christian yet still I struggle with alcohol - part of me doesn't want to let go; I did quit for 12 days recently but started again. I need to quit for good (at least in the short term) to be able to put myself in the position that I have a healthy attitude toward drink i.e I only drink socially maybe once a week. This has been going on too long and needs to be stopped now. Thanks.

~PICKLE~

Ready For Anything
Jan 17, 2004
Texas
Visit site
✟11,148.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Hi, My name is Amanda. My husband has been stuggling with this since we got together 7 years ago. He tried to do it on his own, but couldn't. Let me ask you a ?. Are you serious about quiting? If so, what state do you live in? I ask because My husband is in this study for alcoholics. He finally realized 4 years ago, something had to change. Well One night we were watching the news an before our eyes, God had given us an answer. A local hospital was doing a study for people having a hard time with drinking. My husband called. It's really simple. The FDA is studing a drug that is given once a months in the booty. Yes it's a shot. This shot blocks the reseptures in the brain. You have to excuse me, I can't talk like a doctor, so I'll explain what happensto my husband. They give him a shot once a month, somehow it takes his cravings away and if he tried to drink, he couldn't get drunk. HE also goes through counseling. This is the second time through for my husband. The first time worked, he stayed sober for 3 years, then his father passed and he wanted to go through it again for back up. It has really worked for him. If your intersted, let me know, I give you the information you need.

Upvote 0

Matrona

Lady Godiva Freedom Rider
Aug 17, 2003
USA
Visit site
✟20,668.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
caillan said:
Please could you pray for me as I struggle with my addiction to alcohol.
I will keep you in my prayers. One thing you might try is getting rid of all the alcohol in the house, and whatever that is in your personal routine that gives you access to alcohol or gets you near it in any way, try to drop out of it.

I am trying to help my roommate--she is struggling with alcohol and substance abuse. She needs help realizing that taking alcohol and sedatives is NOT going to make her problems just 'magically' disappear. She took a sedative plus a HUGE amount of alcohol tonight. I have been keeping an eye on her in case she passes out and needs an ambulance. Please, if you have any advice at all on what I can do to help her, please tell me anything I can do. I'm so afraid that this is going to kill her. She only just turned 21.

Upvote 0

caillan

Unknown quantity
Jan 17, 2004
✟441.00
Faith
Christian
Thank you for your prayers! I have spoken to my pastor and he tells me that it is not unusual to dry out over up to 12 months once having become a Christian..I was kind of expecting to change overnight. I know it is getting in the way of my relationship with the Big Guy Upstairs and I know that it is only through trusting in Him that I can beat it...I cannot face going on any program or even talking to folks about this outside the family..I know in my heart I'm going to beat this this year. Thanks again-God Bless you all!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

caillan

Unknown quantity
Jan 17, 2004
✟441.00
Faith
Christian
Thanks for your words of encouragement. Actually something quite amazing happened on Saturday (I've been dry since then). I helped my Dad out with something so he offered to buy me a drink - of course without even thinking about it I accepted. We sat down with our beers and I noticed the seat next to me appeared to be an old chair taken from a Church - it had a cross carved in it. I didn't realise the significance of this until later that day. Christ had been with me, and was offering support to me (spiritual support, not just a chair!)..and as I say I am dry and hopefully for good. Just thought I'd share this with you..sometimes I feel so lost, and then there He is right next to me!

Upvote 0

Yasha

one of Daddy's DayWalkers ....Bleeding out !
Site Supporter
Oct 12, 2003
On solid rock, on a mountaintop !
✟30,320.00
Faith
Calvary Chapel
Marital Status
Married
caillan,

I posted this prayer for another thread that was simply for 'addiction,' last week. I hope you can grow to the day that every one of these words applies to you and you can regain the empowerment for your life through deliverance from this drudgery.

Adonai, Elohim, Jehovah, El Shaddai, Abba....in the name of Jesus,

I join in this petition to free Your children from the rebellion and alchemy and ritual of addiction. Bind the desire to dull the pain of life, to counterfeit the joy of life, to fill the hole that only You can occupy in our lives with substance. Destroy the strongholds built in all the areas that feed and fuel this blight upon our families. Return to us the accountability of Truth, the social structures that bind the liar and fear and isolation, knit us back together as one body with You as head bringing all things into moderation, balance and reason. Slay for us the dragon of fascination that leads us away from the True Life in Your presence, fed, sated, comforted, encouraged and completed. Open our eyes to the intoxication of the Wine of the Spirit in our daily struggles and the longsuffering that knows the value of painbearing toward achieving Your insights and Your perfected blessings in our days. Draw us ever by the song of Your still small voice unto Your Throne within our hearts when we are wearied by the trials and opposition in this world to the one True compassion.

Grant us the the Water that slakes all thirst and grants us the rest within to meditate on the beauty of Your Heart as we grow in the intimacy and understanding of You that we seek. Show us the mercy of Your touch found in favor upon our spirit as we rise in praise from knowing the heights, depths, and spacious places of Your boundless Love for us. Grant us acceptance for the harshness of testings with confidence born of Your proven and reproven compassion in our unworthy hearts. Allow the merciful grace of Your deliverance in perfection of time, to minister endurance to our character as we face the wires of completion. Grant us rememberance of Your Power and victories in our lives. Erect the pillars of rememberance in our heart's darkest corners, and shine from their peaks as a beacon on the days of shadow and grief. May we believe in You, beyond disappointment, silence, despair, strife, grief and the obstacles of time. Portion us discipline and guidance in the freedom to choose to honor You in all.

Return us with regularity and joy to ministering to Your Heart with the sacrifice of praise and thanksgiving, renewed in the blessing that resonates in Your Spirit, Jesus. Grant us the ability to receive of You in humility with flexible hearts available to the newness of each moment, unfettered by routine and ritual. Help us to allow You to define Yourself and redefine Yourself, to shatter error wherever it lurks, to expand Your boundaries beyond our words in the rythms and cadences of the beauty of Your whole creation, Sovereign over all at Your disposal. Master, Teacher, Creator, Lord.

....intoxicate us with Your beauty sufficient, unto eternity by Your side. Amen
God bless you, caillan.

Upvote 0

JesusInMyHeart

Feb 9, 2004
Visit site
✟608.00
Faith
Christian
Lord, I lift up caillan in prayer and ask with a loving heart that You break the chains of alcohol addiction within this person. Lift this heavy yoke and set this person completely free. Give him the strength each day to rely on You Lord and not the alcohol. Lord, help this person to realize that over many more years of drinking that this is killing the liver. Lord, help this person and fill this person with Your Holy Spirit....each time Lord the enemy tries to pursuade and push this person to drink, Lord fill this person's mind with Your Scriptures. Direct this person in every way. Lord, I am believing in answered prayers and thank You in advance. In the mighty name of Jesus "AMEN"...

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

saltoearth

Jan 2, 2004
✟625.00
Faith
Christian
alcohol problem

Please could you pray for me as I struggle with my addiction to alcohol. It has got to the point that tonight I had a fight, my dog has mauled my hand as we fought over whether or not we should take him for a walk. I am a commited Christian yet still I struggle with alcohol - part of me doesn't want to let go; I did quit for 12 days recently but started again. I need to quit for good (at least in the short term) to be able to put myself in the position that I have a healthy attitude toward drink i.e I only drink socially maybe once a week. This has been going on too long and needs to be stopped now. Thanks.

I have personal experience with addiction and Gods saving Grace. I smoked for 3 years and quit 2 and a half months ago. I understand your struggle and separation from GOD. I tried quiting so many times is became ridiculous. I became ashamed to even tell ANYONE when I quit because I KNEW that I would go back. Nicotine was my master, and I answered to HIM before I answered the LORD. Jesus gives us this promise. "come to me all you that are heavy laden and I will give you rest". You are heavy laden, and powerless. But this should not discourage you because CHRIST OVERCAME FOR US. Let me tell you how I quit (I don´t like saying "I quit" because God did EVERYTHING) after praying through tears I gave up ever TRYING to quite again. I told the LORD that if he didn´t want me to smoke then HE had to make it happen because I didn´t want anything to do with it (It was abundantly clear that I was BOUND by this sin). God delivered me from smoking on a silver platter. HE actually TOOK away ALL desire to smoke. IT was an awesome MIRACLE (THANK YOU JESUS!!) I am a witness to you friend, believe in HIS strength and QUIT using YOUR own strength. You are in my prayers.

Salty

Upvote 0

Yasha

one of Daddy's DayWalkers ....Bleeding out !
Site Supporter
Oct 12, 2003
On solid rock, on a mountaintop !
✟30,320.00
Faith
Calvary Chapel
Marital Status
Married
:wave: You know , Salty, I too have been freed from addiction about 22 years ago from drugs, about 18 years ago from eating disorders, and about 70 million times from other things. The way that you pray for Him to take away the desire....that's how I did it every time. When I was reading your post, I had to let you know how strongly I agree with that. There were also counselors and medications involved in my deiverance....and the gracious provision of wonderful support systems(that remain to this day!)...but, all in all, in the end it was His answer to prayers to take the desire away from me...my own 'strength' wasn't working either.

Bless you.

Upvote 0

Blessed2003

Duck, duck, duck, GOOSE..
Jan 20, 2004
✟1,452.00
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Married
caillan said:
I am struggling too, it is so very hard. I have gotten to the point where I feel like satan takes over my body when I drink. I think I have multiple personality disorder, because I do things that I would NEVER do sober! I can only say I will pray for you and just incase you don't know this you might need help. Go to AA or something, there you can talk about it with people who know what you are going through. Other Christians who don't suffer may not be very sympathetic. Also, get someone to pray with you who knows you. Admitting to those close to you (who do not know) will make you more accountable for your actions. Maybe you already have, I didn't read any replies, I just read the request I quoted. It helps though, but do be careful, as I said, not everyone will understand. OH, and if you are an alcoholic, YOU WILL NEVER BE ABLE TO DRINK SOCIALLY, I am not yelling, I am strongly emphacising that point, once your body crosses that line, one drink will turn into as many as you drink on your worst night. eventually, if not now, trust me! We will beat this, God can do anything! God bless you
B:pray:

Upvote 0

Blessed2003

Duck, duck, duck, GOOSE..
Jan 20, 2004
✟1,452.00
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Married
picklereed4 said:
Hi, My name is Amanda. My husband has been stuggling with this since we got together 7 years ago. He tried to do it on his own, but couldn't. Let me ask you a ?. Are you serious about quiting? If so, what state do you live in? I ask because My husband is in this study for alcoholics. He finally realized 4 years ago, something had to change. Well One night we were watching the news an before our eyes, God had given us an answer. A local hospital was doing a study for people having a hard time with drinking. My husband called. It's really simple. The FDA is studing a drug that is given once a months in the booty. Yes it's a shot. This shot blocks the reseptures in the brain. You have to excuse me, I can't talk like a doctor, so I'll explain what happensto my husband. They give him a shot once a month, somehow it takes his cravings away and if he tried to drink, he couldn't get drunk. HE also goes through counseling. This is the second time through for my husband. The first time worked, he stayed sober for 3 years, then his father passed and he wanted to go through it again for back up. It has really worked for him. If your intersted, let me know, I give you the information you need.

I am interested! Would you let me know.
B

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.