Alabama Governor only governs Christians?

wanderingone

I'm not lost I'm just wandering
Jul 6, 2005
New York
✟30,779.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Personally... I'd have to see him making political decisions that don't support his statement that he'll be a governor to all before I'd condemn him for his "brothers/sisters" statement.

I'm afraid the mingling of politicians and church services never ends up sounding right, was he making an appearance as a politician? Then he should have left the almost altar call to the minister of the church, if he was there to worship then he should have left his plans for office out of it.

With all the twits we've had in the governor's office in my state the last couple decades I don't know if I've got any negativity left for those from other states :p

Upvote 0

jlujan69

Jul 28, 2004
United States
✟5,360.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I can understand people finding his statement alarming, however, it's a near certainty that every decision he makes will be heavily scrutinized because of this. By declaring such publicly instead of keeping it private, he's making himself very accountable to everyone and to God.

Upvote 0

Nathan Poe

Sep 21, 2002
United States
✟41,319.00
Faith
Agnostic
Politics
US-Democrat
The Article said:
Bentley spoke at the Dexter Avenue King Memorial Baptist Church in Montgomery just minutes after taking the oath of office on Monday. The new governor, who has been a deacon at First Baptist Church in Tuscaloosa, first said that though he ran as a Republican, once he took office he "became the governor of all the people."

So long as he remembers this, I don't care who he thinks his "brothers and sisters" are.

Upvote 0
J

John_Galt

His remarks are doctrinally correct. The way he expressed them is not politically prudent.

I'm not sure how you came to the conclusion that his being a Christian and believing the nature of Christians vs non-Christians means that he will not serve non-Christians, but I seriously doubt that you would say that Obama governs only blacks.

jlujan69 said:
I can understand people finding his statement alarming

I don't. Aren't you the ones who are always claiming that Obama, Clinton, and Carter are Christians? You didn't find it alarming then.

Upvote 0

Billnew

Legend
Apr 23, 2004
Ohio
Visit site
✟35,363.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Conservatives

Personally, I feel we are all brothers and sisters, some are lost, but we are all still family. It is not Christian to make others feel as outcasts, but to make them feel welcomed.

He should decide all things as he and the people he represents feels is right. That will include Christian teachings, but it does not mean he ignores non-Christians.

But like all politicians, he can be removed if he does not act properly.

Someone commented in the story I read, that his saying this was getting close to first amendment infringement. Him saying this is his first amendment right. Acting on it, is infringing on others.

He can say he(personally) feels closer to certain people, without infering the goverment endorses these people. But favoring them would be wrong.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
J

John_Galt

Personally, I feel we are all brothers and sisters, some are lost, but we are all still family. It is not Christian to make others feel as outcasts, but to make them feel welcomed.

How do you reconcile that with scripture, which says that we have been adopted by God, while the unregenerate are children of the Devil?

Upvote 0

Billnew

Legend
Apr 23, 2004
Ohio
Visit site
✟35,363.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Upvote 0

OdwinOddball

Atheist Water Fowl
Jan 3, 2006
Birmingham, AL
✟22,544.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
As an Atheist in Alabama, I don't find his remarks at all suprising, kinda figured it would go down that way. Afterall, he won the Republican primary in large part due to adds that linked his opponent to support of the Theory of Evolution. No, I'm not kidding, Bentley won his primary because his opponent actually accepts modern science as accurate.

Upvote 0
J

John_Galt

As an Atheist in Alabama, I don't find his remarks at all suprising, kinda figured it would go down that way. Afterall, he won the Republican primary in large part due to adds that linked his opponent to support of the Theory of Evolution. No, I'm not kidding, Bentley won his primary because his opponent actually accepts modern science as accurate.

I wonder how he reconciles his belief in science with his belief in evolution.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Paulos23

Never tell me the odds!
Mar 23, 2005
Washington State
✟311,773.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
After reading the article, I find it distasteful that he is using his position to spread a Christan message. However, he was a deacon and may have gotten caught up in the moment, so I would be willing to give him some slack. But if I was in his state I would be watching him and watching my back.

Then again, if I was in that state I would be watching my back anyway...

Upvote 0

blueapplepaste

the purpose of life is a life of purpose
Jun 7, 2005
Texas
✟18,874.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
If he were an atheist, would you think he should be allowed to state that he's an atheist?

If he were, would you be OK with him telling people are foolish for believing in God?

Upvote 0