• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

AIDS Vaccine?

Discussion in 'Archived - Ethics & Morality' started by katautumn, Dec 3, 2006.

1. EnemyPartyII

EnemyPartyII Well-Known Member

+802
    Catholic
    In Relationship
    In a round about sort of way... yes.

70% of cervical cancer is caused by the human papiloma virus, which is an STD. So, safe sex reduces the incidence of cervical cancer.

2. Steezie

Steezie Guest

+0
    So how does the cancer know if your married or not?

3. FundyChick

FundyChick New Member

+5
    Atheist
    Private
    If everyone thinks that sex is the only way HIV is transmitted, then everyone is sadly mistaken.

And saying the HPV shot will condone premarital sex is basically saying that a tetanus shot will encourage people to step on rusty nails.

4. mahalia

mahalia barefoot rural kid

+102
    Christian
    In Relationship
    two excellent posts, well done! and they made me giggle a bit too..

5. EnemyPartyII

+802
    Catholic
    In Relationship
    Um, it doesn't... but the virus that generates 70% of cervical cancer can be avoided by safe sex... you asked about irresponsibkle sexual behaviour... not marriage

6. Phylogeny

Phylogeny Veteran

+127
    Deist
    Single
    That's a problem that researchers are muddling over right now. My parents work for a large pharm company and they have recently (in the last few years) closed down their infectious disease division and vaccine research. Why? Because it's not profitable. The biggest target for infectious disease such as heptitis and AIDS is the third world, and vaccines prevent illnesses, while treatment means prolonging one. It's a sad truth that companies make more money from treating a disease rather than preventing it. Surgeons get paid more than internists. Cocktail drugs is more expensive than a vaccine (if it comes in the future).

I also saw an interesting show about AIDS in Africa, about a researcher there who says he hopes to find a cure before a vaccine because once a vaccine is found, there will be no more money from developed nations for a cure. Remember, many diseases that ravage third world countries have vaccines against them today. And he also mentioned that a vaccine today doesn't negate the millions that will continue to suffer this disease, nor prevent many more people from getting infected due to lack of immunization in these poor countries. Something to think about.

I think you have some misunderstandings about how a vaccine work. A vaccine is a weakened or dead or genetically altered form of a virus or bacteria which is introduced into the body to trick the immune system into reacting against it.

The human body can form something called antibodies against an infinite number of foreign 'markers' (viruses, bacterias etc) if given enough time. These antibodies can then kill the foreign marker and extinguish the disease.

However, the disease may kill the person before that happens. A vaccine introduces a harmless version of the disease into the body, tricking the body into reacting and fighting against it, so that when the disease next attacks for real, the body already have the immunity against it. Sorry, I can't do a better job describing it, but that's a (rough) outline of how vaccines work in laymen's term.

AIDS is tricky because it is extremely mutagenic. Hence, anytime a vaccine is introduced against a current strain, a mutated form already exists which will survive against the vaccine induced antibodies to continue to attack the body. The vaccine will, in affect, allow for selection of those strains that are resistant, resulting in a mutant, vaccine-resistant strain. Evolution at work right here.

Sadly, my virology professor believes the current strategy we have against AIDS will never come up with a vaccine or cure. She believes the disease will simply become a chronic, treatment ailment like hepatitis.

7. mahalia

mahalia barefoot rural kid

+102
    Christian
    In Relationship
    just a fact i thought might interest you all, especially after the previous posters (very accurate) statement that most diseases that ravage developing countries already have vaccines... it's worse than that...

some of you might have read in a previous Time that 1.9 million children under the age of 5 in developing countries die annually due to diarrhoea/dehydration... and the cure is a simple litre of water with a teaspoon of salt and a cup of sugar.

so it's not just viruses and stuff... it's ignorance. which is, in my opinion, the most deadly threat to the modern world.

8. JGG

JGG Well-Known Member

+1,522
    Seeker
    Private
    To the OP:

Don't forget, God sent us AIDS as a cure for homosexuality!

9. JGG

JGG Well-Known Member

+1,522
    Seeker
    Private
    I think you're judging my rusty nail stepping.

10. ThatRobGuy

ThatRobGuy The artist formerly known as miniverchivi Supporter

+4,731
    United States
    Atheist
    Single
    US-Others
    There would be the small percentage of conservative Christians who would oppose it because, believe it or not, a very small percentage of silly people believe that AIDS is God's divine punishment for homosexuality. Is hard as it is believe, people have some stupid ideas.....and usually the most annoying voice is the loudest, and that small percentage might ruin it for everyone else.

11. FundyChick

FundyChick New Member

+5
    Atheist
    Private
    I apologize. :D

12. Trinityness

Trinityness New Member

+4
    Christian
    Private
    US-Republican
    Sex is the biggest way HIV is transmitted, through premarital and homosexual sex.

And the HPV shot is far different from the tetanus shot. A tetanus shot is there to protect you from infection resulting from stepping on a rusty nail. The HPV shot is there to protect you from a just consequence of immoral sex.

13. trunks2k

trunks2k Contributor

+1,465
    Humanist
    Married
    US-Others
    :eek: :eek:
    wow. just...... wow.

14. EnemyPartyII

+802
    Catholic
    In Relationship
    Do you have a link for this? My understanding is that homosecuals ARE at risk of HIV from unprotected sex, but heterosexuals are most likely to get it from sharing needles...

Except that you can get HPV WITHOUT having sex

15. wanderingone

wanderingone I'm not lost I'm just wandering

+844
    Lutheran
    Married
    US-Others
    Even if I entertained the idea that disease is a "just" consequence" ..... people who suffer the consequences aren't always the ones who committed the "immoral" act.

Say I live without having premarital sex and am stil a virgin when I marry a man who is not a virgin (and has not been honest about this fact) he's not aware he has HPV. I contract HPV from him, and am unaware I am infected, several years later I get cervical cancer.

How in the world am I suffering a "just" consequence?