Status
Not open for further replies.
Ive been thinking about this .....
Back in the old testement you get people who lived to be hundreds of years old. Now in our day and age your lucky if you reach the age of 100....most people just dont live that long...
So why in Do people have such short lives now? is it because we are not as close to God as the people in the old testement were?

Backward in time

Warrior Poet

A Legendary Outlaw
Jun 25, 2003
Sunny SoCal, In a city named after a fruit. Cake.
✟17,965.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
I think that the enviroment and things that our body's are no subject to ages us much quicker then back then. Smog, smoking, fast food, everything in excess, in todays world what we put in our bodies matters more then ever, yet we still, for the most part, put in junk. Back then they lacked many of the modern pollutants that have such a big affect on us today.

Warrior Poet

Upvote 0

Philip

Orthodoxy: Old School, Hard Core Christianity
Jun 23, 2003
Orlando, FL
Visit site
✟7,106.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Bulldog said:
God said somewhere in the Bible that he had limited our lifespans to 120 years. There's probably somone here who knows the exact reference.

Genesis 6:3 is the verse, but that is not what it means. It is a statement that God would destroy the world with a flood in 120 years.

Upvote 0

Enkidu

Apr 5, 2004
South Mississippi
✟7,649.00
Faith
Christian
Warrior Poet said:
I think that the enviroment and things that our body's are no subject to ages us much quicker then back then. Smog, smoking, fast food, everything in excess, in todays world what we put in our bodies matters more then ever, yet we still, for the most part, put in junk. Back then they lacked many of the modern pollutants that have such a big affect on us today.

Warrior Poet

Check the stats.... Our lifespan has increased significantly over the past hundred or so years mainly because of health advances and knowledge. (Average age in 1840... males 42, females 48. Average age in 2004... males 76, females 84... sciencemag.org) but yes nothing like Biblical persons of up to 960 years. Maybe genetic... maybe a time anomaly.

Thanks Philip for dismissing the 120 year cap. Noah and his sons lived much, much longer after this often misquoted edict was given.

Glory to Jehovah Elohim. Glory to Jesus. May the Counselor fill your hearts.

Upvote 0

Chaucer

Mar 17, 2004
✟548.00
Faith
In a number of places in the world (I myself having lived close to such a place in South America) where there are plenty of people who live in excess of 120 years, according to local tradition - until you study it in depth and find our that poor recording keeping, faulty memory, and exaggeration are the main drivers of advanced age.

Would it have been all that different anciently?

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.