• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Trigger Warning Aftermath of abuse

aloneinafrica

Proudly South-African
Feb 18, 2008
✟28,562.00
Country
South Africa
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
Hi, all

This is mostly just a rant; I hope others can relate.

Two narcissists, a psychopath, a dirty old man, and a bunch of misogynists thinking it's okay to sexually assault women then yak it up with the guys - and I'm not in a good place. Stalked, threatened, harassed... Sleeping issues, some issues with depression, lots of angst, and the terrible fear that the abusers will return in some way, though I've taken every precaution I can to cut off all contact.

Sometimes I have disturbing dreams, but what bothers me the most is that it feels like a good deal of people don't believe me about all that's been happening these past 5 years. I'm sure many of you survivors have heard the following or variants thereof:

"She must have had it coming with a flirtatious attitude/dress code."
"So what? He was just a little drunk, nothing serious happened. Lighten up!"
"What a homewrecker! How dare she try to steal away a married man?" (E.g, the guy had nothing to do with the grooming/seduction phase, of course.)
"She's an adult. She should have known better."

And on and on. There are many disgusting people out there who are severely disturbed and prey on others. And then there are those who support them in ignorance. Front-pew Christians, law-abiding people who think you're just being a drama queen or, in fact, evil when you speak out about your abuse. It's your fault, you had it coming. They don't bother to dig deeper or to ask questions or try to understand you better. They embrace their buddies and laugh at your pain.

Well, I was 27 and naive. I was kind of heart and I knew nothing about narcissism or psychopathy other than pop-culture references or fiction. I've been mentally ill since the age of 14. Anxious, anti-social, deplorable lack of social skills. I can't go into it all here or I'd never stop. The mental-health system has not been treating me kindly, just this one really excellent psychiatrist that I'm incredibly thankful for.

I'm better now, thankfully, but the flashbacks are awful. I wish society would just wake up! Some days it feels as though the internalized anger will end up eating me alive. I made my share of mistakes and I can own it. But the general abandonment from society is a weight on my shoulders.

They don't get why I had to change my e-mail address, phone number, etc, so many times, so they just brush me off as ridiculous. They don't get why I've not been in Church in months. They don't get why I refuse to talk much about my personal life. But I keep on praying, taking my medication, and trying to put the past behind me.

It's just so much harder than anybody can ever bargain on.

archer75

Site Supporter
Nov 16, 2016
USA
✟256,152.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I wish society would just wake up! Some days it feels as though the internalized anger will end up eating me alive. I made my share of mistakes and I can own it. But the general abandonment from society is a weight on my shoulders.

This -- especially what I quoted, in my experience -- is extremely painful and difficult. When you are being consumed by anger, it can feel like your entire life is poisoned. Apparently endless rage and rumination.

You can do better than that. It sounds like you are doing better than that. Being consumed by anger is understandable, but it is beneath your dignity. I am glad to hear that you and working on moving forward.

Reactions: aloneinafrica
Upvote 0

Poppyseed78

Site Supporter
Sep 13, 2016
US
✟275,982.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'm sorry you've experienced this trauma. I hope in time you feel fully healed.

I understand what you mean about society dismissing what you went through. I struggle with everyone thinking my abuser is a great guy, when in reality he was a cruel, ruthless monster. This causes me to feel a lot of anger. Moving forward is a process, not always a straight line.

Reactions: Darkhorse
Upvote 0

Chaplain David

CF Chaplain
Nov 26, 2007
USA
✟284,152.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I'm sorry you've experienced this trauma. I hope in time you feel fully healed.

I understand what you mean about society dismissing what you went through. I struggle with everyone thinking my abuser is a great guy, when in reality he was a cruel, ruthless monster. This causes me to feel a lot of anger. Moving forward is a process, not always a straight line.
My mother in law was like this. She'd consistently treat me abusively but when she was around others they couldn't say enough good about her. I prayed for her over a long period of time. This did not change her but it changed me inside for the better. I began loving my abuser and that love supported a more understanding, more righteous Christian. God bless everyone.

Reactions: Poppyseed78
Upvote 0