After Kim Davis is jailed, clerk's office issues marriage license to gay couple (Moved)

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,126,722.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Ah, I was unaware of the co-worker complaint. I just read a snippet (bad on me, I know) quickly this morning.

Still, it is an entirely different situation than the Kim Davis thing.

Although I am curious as to how one member of the team of attendants not serving alcohol would place any significant burden on the other attendants. Why not assign her one of the many non-alcohol-related duties performed by flight attendants?
Other employees had also complained about her sitting around and reading her books when she should have been helping them with other duties. So it appears there was more than one issue and more than one complaint.

Upvote 0

cubikman

Sep 9, 2015
✟15,149.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
'Some laws are meant to be broken'
and some Christians can disobey the word of god

Romans 13:1
Let everyone be subject to the governing authorities, for there is no authority except that which God has established. The authorities that exist have been established by God.

Reactions: Red Fox
Upvote 0

Crowns&Laurels

Jul 11, 2015
✟6,832.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
and some Christians can disobey the word of god

Let everyone be subject to the governing authorities, for there is no authority except that which God has established. The authorities that exist have been established by God.

Yeah, that verse in no way means what you think it means, and for those 'some' Christians as well. In fact, that's likely just a recent invention of interpretation from pacifists and liberals, just like the trivializing of whatever is stated of homosexuality in the Bible.

Acts 5:29
Then Peter and the other apostles answered and said, We ought to obey God rather than men.

Upvote 0

cubikman

Sep 9, 2015
✟15,149.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Yeah, that verse in no way means what you think it means, and for those 'some' Christians as well. In fact, that's likely just a recent invention of interpretation from pacifists and liberals, just like the trivializing of whatever is stated of homosexuality in the Bible.

Acts 5:29
Then Peter and the other apostles answered and said, We ought to obey God rather than men.
lol and the word of god says

Let everyone be subject to the governing authorities!

Acts 5
27 The apostles were brought in and made to appear before the Sanhedrin to be questioned by the high priest. 28 “We gave you strict orders not to teach in this name,” he said. “Yet you have filled Jerusalem with your teaching and are determined to make us guilty of this man’s blood.”
They could have obeyed the Sanhedrin and in doing so would not be disobeying the word of god.

Last edited:
Reactions: Red Fox
Upvote 0

Crowns&Laurels

Jul 11, 2015
✟6,832.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
lol and the word of god says

Let everyone be subject to the governing authorities!

Acts 5
27 The apostles were brought in and made to appear before the Sanhedrin to be questioned by the high priest. 28 “We gave you strict orders not to teach in this name,” he said. “Yet you have filled Jerusalem with your teaching and are determined to make us guilty of this man’s blood.”
They could have obeyed the Sanhedrin and in doing so would not be disobeying the word of god.

The early Christians weren't martyred because they were following Rome. These interpretations are just flat out stupid.

People just make things up to justify enabling sin.
I'm sure an atheist would love nothing more than that interpretation. We can just get out of your way and make the world yours :doh:

Upvote 0

Crowns&Laurels

Jul 11, 2015
✟6,832.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
And you think you have the correct interpretation?

Me and the entire rest of Christianity now and all through history, yes.

You don't find it dubious that, now, in this immediate liberal age, such passages are being switched into something else to secure this immediate liberal age?
So far, it's been said that homosexuality isn't even in the Bible, that we have to obey and serve corruption, and that basically half of everything Paul states is nonsense- I don't know, I just figure that last part has to be the case, especially with feminist Christians.

Upvote 0

Red Fox

Dec 14, 2014
✟23,169.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Private
The early Christians weren't martyred because they were following Rome. These interpretations are just flat out stupid.

I'm sure an atheist would love nothing more than that interpretation. We can just get out of your way and make the world yours :doh:

The early Christians were martyred for their faith in Jesus Christ, but that is not happening to Christians living in the United States. However, many Christians believe they are being persecuted because they aren't being allowed to use their Christian beliefs as a reason to religiously discriminate against someone whose lifestyle they don't approve of. And for the record, not everyone outside of the Christian faith believes in the Christian interpretation of sin. It is more or less a Christian concept from what I understand. So, to expect a non-Christian to believe in the reality of sin is rather preposterous and unreasonable. And the brush you are using to describe [all] atheists is rather broad and it is really unsubstantiated rhetoric, unless you have the appropriate sources to back up this blatant accusation against atheists. So, for the record, I have never once heard any atheist ever outright declare that they wanted Christians out of the way so they could take over the world. Quite honestly, this accusation seems a bit far fetched to me.

Last edited:
Reactions: wing2000
Upvote 0

cubikman

Sep 9, 2015
✟15,149.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private

You need to get your facts straight, the apostles were not martyring themselves against Rome, they were rebelling against god and the authority of Sanhedrin

The Sanhedrin was an assembly of twenty-three to seventy-one men appointed in every city in the Land of Israel. In the Hebrew Bible,Moses and the Israelite's were commanded by God to establish courts of judges, they were given full authority over the people of Israel; and the people were commanded by God to obey every word they have instructed and every law they have established.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sanhedrin

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Crowns&Laurels

Jul 11, 2015
✟6,832.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
The early Christians were martyred for their faith in Jesus Christ

They were martyred because they refused to obey what was mandatory in Rome. You couldn't even make make a living. Yes, that's actually true.
They didn't care about what you believed so long as you obeyed their standards. If you didn't attribute all that you did in practicality to their religion and philosophies, you weren't deemed a heretic, but a dissident. Treason.

There's a lot of correlation between then and what will probably be soon before the [bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse] crows.

Upvote 0

Red Fox

Dec 14, 2014
✟23,169.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Private
The entire rest of Christianity would include those true Christians that don't believe that your interpretation is correct.

This is true, because there are so many different interpretations of scriptures within the realm of Christendom and has been throughout the religion's history.

Upvote 0

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
Morgantown, West Virginia, USA
✟593,640.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Where do people get some if what has been said in this thread?

First, no one in America is losing their livelihood because of the Christian faith. If Ms. Davis winds up being impeached and removed from office it will not be because of her Christian faith. It wil be because she is not doing her job. Thousands of Christian clerks are currently obeying the law and issuing marriage licenses to same sex couples. I'm sure that many of them approve of same sex marriage. Many others might not approve for religious reasons, but they are doing it because it is their job and they are following the law and upholding the oath they took.

Nor have any private businesses been forced to close because of the owners Christian faith. Some have been fined for refusing to obey laws, laws that thousands of businesses, many owned by Christians, have no problem following. A local barber was recently fined because he refused to cut a woman's hair. That had nothing to do with his faith. He admitted that he violated to law and paid the fine. From now on he will cut men's and women's hair.

Second, yes America has problems. That does not mean the end is near. People have been predicting the end for almost 2000 years. It hasn't happened yet. For all that is wrong in America there is much that has improved. Slavery has been gone for over a century. Poll taxes are gone. Signs reading Mexicans or Jews or Indians or blacks or women need not apply are gone. Blacks don't have to sit in the back of the bus or use special drinking fountains or attend segregated schools. Women can vote. Two current candidates for President are female. Women can work outside of the home. And, yes, same sex couples can now marry. I see that as a good thing, and, yes, I am a Christian.

Upvote 0

katherine2001

Veteran
Jun 24, 2003
Billings, MT
Visit site
✟11,346.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
It appears to be, it was Kim Davis who was acting like a dictator, ignoring the law and making her own law.

She certainly was acting like a dictator. The fact is that in her absence, all the clerks except her son are issuing the licenses. I've read that one of the clerks will defy her if she orders them not to issue licenses when she comes back to the office on Monday.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Red Fox

Dec 14, 2014
✟23,169.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Private
As mentioned earlier in this thread, two of the band members of Survivor had some words for Mike Huckabee for using their song, 'Eye of the Tiger' without their permission at a public event. Well, now it looks like Survivor is threatening both Mike Huckabee and Kim Davis with a lawsuit over the unauthorized use of their song.

Survivor threatens Mike Huckabee and Kim Davis with lawsuit over use of “Eye of the Tiger”

Excerpted from the article...
Looks like Mike Huckabee could learn a thing or two about poor campaign tactics from Donald Trump. Much like the Republican frontrunner, the Huckster has found himself in hot water for the unauthorized use of an artist’s song at a public event. While Neil Young simply flipped Trump the metaphorical bird and REM handed him a cease and desist, ’80s rockers Survivor are considering taking it a step further by threatening a lawsuit over the use of their classic “Eye of the Tiger”.

And then there is this quote from one of the band members...
“NO! We did not grant Kim Davis any rights to use ‘My Tune -The Eye Of The Tiger’,” [sic] Survivor guitarist Frank Sullivan wrote on the band’s Facebook page. “I would not grant her the rights to use Charmin! C’mom Mike, you are not The Donald but you can do better than that.” He ended the post with a hint at the eventual legal actions: “See Ya really SoooooooonnnnnnN!!!!!!”

Upvote 0

Maren

Veteran
Oct 20, 2007
✟57,368.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Private
As mentioned earlier in this thread, two of the band members of Survivor had some words for Mike Huckabee for using their song, 'Eye of the Tiger' without their permission at a public event. Well, now it looks like Survivor is threatening both Mike Huckabee and Kim Davis with a lawsuit over the unauthorized use of their song.

Survivor threatens Mike Huckabee and Kim Davis with lawsuit over use of “Eye of the Tiger”

Excerpted from the article...

And then there is this quote from one of the band members...

I'm sure they will spin not being allowed to use the songs, and possibly being sued for it, as more religious persecution.

Upvote 0

katautumn

Prodigal Daughter
May 14, 2015
Atlanta, GA
✟24,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Well, yes, families are the basis of society, if you want to call that a "special little club". The more totalitarian the government, the more pressure is exerted to destroy families, because they hold a barrier to the complete subjugation, obedience, and dependence on the state. History makes this clear. It's a bit more than just something personal between 2 parties.

This is sounding a little tinfoil hat here. There is no hidden agenda to destroy society. Families look different. For starters, there aren't enough same-sex couples in America to absolutely destroy the family unit. Even if nary a single same-sex couple had children, society would still march on just as it has for centuries. With that said, same-sex couples do have children and they do raise families.Just because one family looks different than another doesn't mean it's all part of some nefarious plan to bring down the country.

Upvote 0

Armoured

So is America great again yet?
Site Supporter
Aug 31, 2013
✟234,967.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I've always thought that this is a real fear among the most anti-homosexual crowd. Especially considering the examples of closeted who have been caught/called out in public.
The only explanation I can see for these sorts of claims are that the people making them must struggle with their sexuality, and that the socially unacceptable nature of homosexuality was previously all that held this in check. Now that some of the prejudice against homosexuals has been removed, they're finding the struggle harder, which to them, feels like society telling them to "be gay".

Also, I suspect that they think that everyone else is pretty much the same as they are, so they assume that everyone else is experiencing similar doubts. I think they really do think that with homosexuality being legal and all, that otherwise heterosexual people WILL become gay, because they are struggling with it themselves.

Only explanation I can think of. As supporting evidence, I'll cite the dozens (hundreds?) of prominent "anti-gay" types who have been caught out with gay lovers. I know it's a cliche, but it's only a cliche because it seems to happen every other week.

Upvote 0

Armoured

So is America great again yet?
Site Supporter
Aug 31, 2013
✟234,967.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I still don't get all the support for the clerk. Those devout Christians that are so enamored by her and her stance confuse me. Who defines right and wrong? Who defines sin? Who defines marriage? Is it man or is it God? Does a government's opinion/stance/rules/laws have the ability to actually redefine that which God instituted?
It's simple. The clerk fit's the roll of 1st world Christian martyr, thereby giving credence to the "Christians are being persecuted" narrative.

Upvote 0