• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Afraid of idolatry again

Nicole Roberson

Jan 18, 2019
Cypress
✟20,624.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Hi again, I haven't been here for a while my journey with ocd has been going well mostly, but recently I've been trying to get back into my work as a novelist and I was struck my a thought that paralyzed me. When I was a child I used to spend so much time daydreaming and making up stories. I never thought much of it but yesterday I started thinking that I committed idolatry as a child. My fear is that if that is true then I can no longer use my mind to plan my novels or what not because if I turned it into an idol all those years ago using it again now might get me sent to hell. It feels silly writing it here but I feel condemned by the mere action of planning out how my day will go. But I don't know if I did turn it into an idol as a child, back then I didn't have ocd and wasn't worried about it. Oh, what should I do? Perhaps I should quit writing but I want to use it for God, I keep thinking this must be from God but I don't know, I don't want to go to hell.
I remind myself that people are still allowed to use money if they turned it into an idol, but it isn't working for me, I am still afraid of going to hell. I see a lot of people struggling with stuff like this, does anyone have any advice?

I’m a writer too! I write novels and poetry. It’s a huge part of my life, the gifts God has given me. Let me tell you, I know how you feel. I’ve been in fear about idolatry with my writing and stuff that I like. I’ve been feeling so condemned and afraid about putting these things before God, which is the last thing I want to do. OCD has gone to the extreme with this where I almost thought God wanted me to give up my writing and everything I like, otherwise I’m not really picking up my cross or something? I don’t know why I got that in my head, but ocd drives this stuff...and I’ve just been feeeling so miserable about it worrying about every little thing being wrong or worrying about disappointing God in some way with this or that...just a continuous cycle of bondage.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Mari17

Jun 17, 2017
Newport
✟143,002.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I’m a writer too! I write novels and poetry. It’s a huge part of my life, the gifts God has given me. Let me tell you, I know how you feel. I’ve been in fear about idolatry with my writing and stuff that I like. I’ve been feeling so condemned and afraid about putting these things before God, which is the last thing I want to do. OCD has gone to the extreme with this where I almost thought God wanted me to give up my writing and everything I like, otherwise I’m not really picking up my cross or something? I don’t know why I got that in my head, but ocd drives this stuff...and I’ve just been feeeling so miserable about it worrying about every little thing being wrong or worrying about disappointing God in some way with this or that...just a continuous cycle of bondage.
I've gotten these kinds of feelings before! OCD likes to latch onto what we most value. Please see my response to your other post for resources about OCD.

Upvote 0

Nicole Roberson

Jan 18, 2019
Cypress
✟20,624.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I've gotten these kinds of feelings before! OCD likes to latch onto what we most value. Please see my response to your other post for resources about OCD.
Feel free to message me whenever you want...would love to talk more about this with you, even over a phone call maybe.

Upvote 0