Montana
✟15,301.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
HI, I'm new to forum stuff, but I was told to repost here...
I was just asked to be a bridesmaid by my brothers girlfriend, I have only met her and the problem is that she is Wiccan.
My brother was raised Christian but is not living as such.
I'm seeking advice on how to properly handle this situation. I was already trying to figure out how to talk to him as we aren't very close...there's no problem, we just spent a great deal of our lives separated because of multiple marriages.
I don't want to cause a rift if it can be avoided, so I'm seeking advice on handling it as I should. Thank you!

Reactions: Radagast

Darkhorse

just horsing around
Aug 10, 2005
mid-Atlantic
Visit site
✟288,141.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Welcome to CF!

If you don't act as a bridesmaid, you will cause a rift in the family - how large, I can't say (and other issues may cause rifts later), but weddings should be joyous, unifying occasions as much as possible.

Some hard-nosers may say "You shouldn't participate in or support a Wiccan wedding", but...don't you wish the best for them? Don't you hope their union will be joyful and fulfilling, and permanent? If so, you can participate without compromising your Christian beliefs. You're not surrendering your faith by being a supportive sister.

(voice of experience here)

Upvote 0

Norbert L

Site Supporter
Mar 1, 2009
✟560,360.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
By the sounds of it, you won't be any closer afterwards. And regards to rifts in families, depends on the what kind of rifts there already are in the family. Reminds of what happened to my aunt after her husband died. She came from a big family and both her children were adults by then. She thought of moving back closer to here brothers and sisters, so she visited them in their hometown. It didn't take long for old angers to re emerge. So she decided not to move back, which also caused a rift and have peace and quiet from a distance.

Upvote 0

Emli

Growing daughter of God
Site Supporter
Mar 2, 2017
Sweden
✟208,889.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Biblically, I would absolutely suggest that you not be her bridesmaid.

"Do not be yoked together with unbelievers. For what do righteousness and wickedness have in common? Or what fellowship can light have with darkness?" 2 Corinthians 6:14

And Matthew 19:29

"And everyone who has left houses or brothers or sisters or father or mother or wife or children or fields for my sake will receive a hundred times as much and will inherit eternal life."

There are so many more verses in the Bible to support this, but my Internet connection is bad, so I can't look them up right now.
I was a Wiccan for a while before I was saved, and it might seem harmless, but it really isn't. Your brother is hurting himself by marrying her.

But that is his choice, and I'm not gonna tell you to stop them, but you absolutely should not be her bridesmaid. Because you would be supporting something that God is absolutely against, and doing so openly before others too. Wish them a happy marriage, and pray for them, you could even attend the wedding, but being a part of it is a really bad idea.

Reactions: Adstar
Upvote 0

NothingIsImpossible

May 22, 2015
✟274,922.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I couldn't support it. I mean I'd wish them the best but I would not be part of the wedding. Because if/when it goes south I'd be like "Told you so!". No point taking part of what is very much likely doomed to fail.

Granted I realize thats negative thinking. My wife says to never say such things as words have power. But I do not use the words as if I am hoping for the worst. I am not. However factually and logically the majority of such marriages don't work well for the christian.

Especially for the spouse that married in hopes of changing them to become saved. You cannot change anyone. Its out of your hands.

With this said if you wish to go since being a bridesmaid is a important role, its not like Gods going to send you to hell for supporting her. Though again, my feeling is supporting her encourages her that you must be ok with whos she marrying. Maybe tell her you think its a bad idea to marry this person because they are not yolked, but then say you still be there for her regardless.

Upvote 0

Tolworth John

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟369,679.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I was just asked to be a bridesmaid by my brothers girlfriend, I have only met her and the problem is that she is Wiccan.
May I suggest you ask what form the wedding will take?
If it is a convential church wedding accept.
If it is going to be a civil ceremony with no religious element accept.
If it involves a wicca element politly decline.

Upvote 0

GandalfTheWise

In search of lost causes and hopeless battles
May 27, 2012
Wisconsin
✟71,403.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
With regard to having anything to do with a wedding with possible Wiccan influence, one biblical issue I would use to consider this situation is the "food offered to idols" issue. Early Christians were divided on this. Some wanted nothing to do with meat originating from sacrifices in pagan rituals and would not eat it. Others thought that the idols were just a meaningless hunk of wood or rock that did nothing to the meat. Paul's response was one both of conscience and accommodation. If it doesn't bother you, go ahead and eat it. If it does bother you, don't eat it. The main issue being that if you think it is okay to eat it, make sure that you are not encouraging someone (who thinks it is wrong) to violate their conscience by copying you.

I'm not a drinker and rarely go to bars. I worked at a place where the going away parties for people were held at a local bar. For a couple years, I never went. Then I realized that it was a nice show of support for the person leaving. I would attend (and walk around with a can of soda). Many people who the parties were for appreciated my presence there (since most people knew I didn't drink). Ultimately, the big thing for me was not about taking a moral stand against drinking but rather maintaining relationships and doing things for people. Here's reality, me walking around with a can of soda was probably not causing anyone to take up drinking and it was a way of establishing stronger relationships with people. Perhaps I also showed a few people drinking that it was possible to hang out like that and not drink.

The main things I see are these. Will there be anyone there who sees your participation as actively encouraging them to become Wiccan? Is this something that your brother and his wife will deeply appreciate knowing that you have differences on it? Will it open the doors to ministering to them in some way? Will you be doing something that violates your conscience? Ten years from now, how do you think you would view your decision? What is the main thing that God is putting on your heart to do? (These are just food for thought. I'm not expecting answers. :) )

If you feel like God is putting it on your heart to be a bridesmaid, go for it. God might be putting you into a position to show His love and shine His light into the lives of your brother and his bride (and perhaps some of her friends). Who knows, you might have an opportunity to get into some discussions of spiritual matters with a few people and have the opportunity to pray for them or something. If you feel like God is convicting you and warning you not to be a bridesmaid and stay clear of things, don't do it.

The only caveat I'd give is that if you decide to be a bridesmaid, you might want to consider ahead of time how you will respond if asked to do something "Wiccan" during the ceremony and ask for God's guidance and grace to respond as He wants you to.

• Winner
Reactions: Darkhorse
Upvote 0

Zatek

Mar 5, 2015
✟26,958.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Absolutely don't do it.

If someone loves you then they will respect and be interested in understanding your beliefs. Doesn't mean that agree with those beliefs or even that they support them, but it does mean that they at least give you a chance to share and don't get offended and emotional when you live by your beliefs.

If your brother loves you, then he won't be mad that you are living by your Christian beliefs. Your Christian beliefs are something you'd had for a long time I'd guess, not just something you made up on the spot to have an excuse not to go to the wedding, so he shouldn't be surprised. Tell him that you love him, but you have to obey God first even if that means missing his wedding because it isn't a Christian wedding. You should also give him a chance to share his beliefs, but you'll probably just end up agreeing to disagree.

Unfortunately a lot of times there is nothing you can do to change someone's mind. You just have to let them make their own choices and pray that God helps them learn right from wrong. Thinking that if you "love him enough" and go to his wedding will make him change his mind then you are just kidding yourself. Accepting someone's wrong behavior does not help them learn the truth.

Upvote 0

GB|Boyfriend

HE WHO SINS SHALL BATHE IN THE DEPTHS OF HELL
Oct 23, 2017
Perth
✟337.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
I'm seeking advice on how to properly handle this situation. I was already trying to figure out how to talk to him as we aren't very close...there's no problem, we just spent a great deal of our lives separated because of multiple marriages.
I don't want to cause a rift if it can be avoided, so I'm seeking advice on handling it as I should. Thank you!

Hello,

I say you leave the country for a while.

Regards,

T.B

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

DreamerOfTheHeart

I Am What I Am
Jul 11, 2017
Houston
✟39,308.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

I would not judge them, and go along with the request.

The truth does not need that sort of defense.

Some strict behavior was advised for two thousand years ago, but even then, that was only meant to educate and direct -- and even that, not to pagans or other outsiders, but to those who were claiming to be representative of the truth, but presented something else entirely.

Wicca makes no such claims...

Upvote 0