• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Advice, guidance, etc...

Beef

Mar 26, 2005
✟8,039.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Hello,
Thank you for taking the time to read this. I am a Christian, and study the word when anxious, go to certain verses, etc...but if at all possible, I would like some advice from some of you. Strangely enough, if i have the typical bug/cold/flu etc...I get so anxious that something worse is going to happen, i cant relax, and the stress is unreal. I have ocd and was diagnosed over 10 years ago. It seems lately I have been going through this often. I have gotten a little bug a couple times this winter, and now my sinuses are acting up with a sensetive ear. Well the doc perscribed a z pak to fight it(didnt go to the docs, he was kind enough to call it in, being it was late friday)...none the less i am just full of worry. If you read my signature you would laugh that i get like this, but i have been petrified of going to the docs for over 10 years. It is really hard on me and wears me down, and makes me very stressed, anxious, etc...I have suffered with panic attacks before as well. I just have to wonder what the underlying theme is..for example am i really so bothered and worrisome because i read about the absolute worst case scenario of an ear infection that happens in children, or is it something underlying...It seems this winter, that i am almost waiting for something to happen to make me worry. I know all the verses about not worrying, anxiety, etc...and i try to adhere to them...but it just defeats me. Im on paxil, and it does work, but I still get like this...and i dont think its because i have missed a day of taking the meds. Can someone relate to this? Can anyone give me any advice that would help me? Thank you very much for taking the time to read this.

miss-a

Jul 12, 2009
Snowy Northeast
✟35,831.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I can give you some maybe's. But first I want to remind you of God's promise that this will not be forever. You will come through this. YOu will not feel this way forever. His word is very clear about that: "After you have suffered a while, the God of all grace, who called you to His eternal glory by Christ Jesus, will perfect, establish, strengthen and settle you." 1 Peter 5:10.

Okay, for the physical stuff. Colds and infections can tax the adrenal glands and can cause you to feel more anxious, from a physiological standpoint. However, the books about how bad it all can get, maybe donate those to the library--or your woodstove. Reading how to make it better is one thing. readign about how bad it can be, give yourself a break on that. Okay?

It's great that you're staying in His word. Keep it up. Stay in fellowship with folks who really believe in the power of Jesus and can remind you that the very power that raised Jesus from the dead is being used on you by God who loves you beyond measure, who has a good plan for you, and who has written 365 times in His word, "do not fear."

Also, be aware that caffeine, sugar, processed foods, cigs, and lack of exercise can aggravate anxiety. Avoid these, especially when you have a cold or infection.

I'm sure others will have lots of suggestions, and we'll all be praying foryou.

Prayers,
A

Upvote 0

Beef

Mar 26, 2005
✟8,039.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Thank you...Its just like this with the tender ear...I read where in very rare cases(back in the day a good time ago) there used to be something that could cause brain issues and meningitis. And I know for a fact that wont happen, but my ocd gets to me. And my ear doesnt even hurt deeply, it is tender to the touch on a scab/bump.

Something else that is important...

My mom has been the go to person for these issues. She has always been there to say you are ok...and has really helped me with this issue. It worries me because I am afraid my wife will not be able to take that spot of comforting me, and thinking about it makes me sad. What do you suggest?

I am sorry if i am sounding self centered, because i know i have it so good...and there are many who have it worse, that i should be thinking of instead of myself.

Upvote 0

Criada

Site Supporter
Feb 6, 2007
✟114,628.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
I'm sorry, brother, that must be hard to deal with :hug:
Have you talked to your wife about how you feel? Assuming that she won't be able to deal with it is looking for the worst case scenario, and probably just the OCD talking. :hug:
Praying for peace, brother.

Upvote 0

miss-a

Jul 12, 2009
Snowy Northeast
✟35,831.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I agree, I think being totally honest with your wife is the thing to do. It may take her some time to understand, because she is experiencing it second hand through you, while it is very first hand for you.

Also know in the end, God is the only one who can fully understand us. Talk to Him, cry to Him, journal to HIm. Tell Him all of it, and this can be an opportunity to develop an even deeper relationship with Him. He knows it all anyway, but He also knows telling Him is healing for us, and He wants us healed. He will bring you through this.

Prayers and blessings,
A

Upvote 0