Adventists-Bible does not prohibit all alcohol.

tall73

Sophia7's husband
Site Supporter
Sep 23, 2005
Visit site
✟875,252.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Again;
1) Ephesians 5:18 Paul shows drunkeness is a PROCESS therefore the first drink is sinful for it is that start of the process and therefore it is as much of the process as the subsequent drinks.
No, it is just what it says, prolonged intoxication.

You have based your argument throughout the thread on the verb being inceptive. And on this basis you formed your not even one drink theory.

However, it is inceptive of intoxicate, to prolong intoxication. That does not say one drink. But more to the point, you already totally surrendered that argument when you admitted that Timothy would drink a little.

1Ti_5:23 (No longer drink only water, but use a little wine for the sake of your stomach and your frequent ailments.)

If one drink was prohibited, and to consider drinking was prohibited, then Paul wouldn't tell Timothy to drink. Because it would be better to have a stomach ailment than to commit sin and violate conscious.

But of course it was not prohibited to drink, but to be drunk.

2) 1 Peter 4:3 Peter condemns drinking in varying degrees from excessive amounts to moderate to small amounts.

I noted various resources showing the meaning of the KJV "banqueting" was in fact referring to a larger amount, and you just ignored it.

Strongs:
πότος
From the alternate of G4095; a drinking bout or carousal

Vincet's Word studies:
Banquetings (πότοις)
Lit., drinking-bouts. Rev., carousings.

Cambridge Bible:
banquetings] Literally, drinking-parties. The word went naturally as in other Greek writers with “revellings.”

All of the listings he mentioned were of drinking to excess. And if he wanted to say no alcohol he could do that. He did not.

THe above two verses state facts kill your argument. Verses do not contradict verses in the Bible.

They do not at all, because those two verses address drinking to excess. And you already acknowledged Timothy drinking, so your one drink theory is now manifestly wrong.

Paul giving Timothy to no longer drink water but wine does not contradict the above verses.

The verses don't contradict because they all say a little wine is not the problem. But they don't say what you claimed. And Timothy drinking a little wine totally invalidates your one drink theory.

Jesus called a winebibber does not prove He drank for if He did He was a hypocrit violating his own NT.

No, Him saying He drank proves He drank. And the problem is not violating His own Old or New Testament, because the consistent message is to avoid drunkenness.

so you are "staining at a gnat" with other verses to try and find justification from those verses when there is none creating a contradiction among verses.

I am presenting all the Bible verses on the subject that you don't want to deal with. I have addressed all of your arguments, and the message is consistently not to get drunk.

If you are not going to address the texts put to you then it is not "straining at gnats" but is instead presenting evidence you don't want to deal with.

If Jesus being called a winebibber proves He drank alcoholic drinks then His being called a glutton equally proves He engaged in gluttony.

Actually His own words prove He came eating and drinking. They tried to smear Him, but His own testimony about Himself is plain.

Yet the truth is all these accuasations (winebibber, glutton, having a demon, a sinner) were all EQUALLY false. You choose to believe the false accusations in a poor attempt to justify social drinking??

At this point I can no longer give you the benefit of the doubt of poor reading comprehension. I plainly stated Jesus indicated He drank.

And I have said repeatedly I do not approve of social drinking, but that the Bible does not condemn a little wine with food.

Your continuing to misrepresent my argument makes it clear that you cannot address the actual argument, so you have to change it.

Paul is NOT telling Timothy to quit drinking water altogether and start drinking fermented wine but to use a "little" wine mixed with water.

A little wine is exactly what we were saying all along. But of course you smear that position and fail to address the arguments.

If one drink is wrong, then Timothy was wrong to take any. But it is not wrong. Drunkenness is wrong.

"The sentence is elliptical, i.e., certain words must be mentally supplied in order to complete the thought. The sense thus should be: “Be no longer a drinker of water only, but also take a little wine?” (see John 6:27; cf.1 Corinthians 4:20 with 1 Thessalonians 1:5). The apostle is not instructing Timothy to abstain from water entirely; rather, for medicinal purposes the youth was enjoined to mix with his water a “little wine.

Who made the claim he was telling him to abstain from all water? But you acknowledge right here the whole argument when you indicate he used a "little" wine.

This passage can hardly provide any comfort for those who desire to engage in the pleasurable consumption of beverage alcohol. Imbibers rarely drink just a “little,” nor do they dilute their wine with water. They are looking for the “glow,” the “buzz.”

And those who judge others rarely concern themselves with judging accurately. Several people in the thread have stated they do drink just a little.

Isa 25:6 cannot and does not contradict Ephesians 5:18 or 1 Peter 4:3 that clearly condemn social drinking.

Sorry, but none of them contradict, because it is consuming to excess that is the prohibited activity.

Some will say "but wait, it says God is going to serve wines on the lees, you do not get lees until after it ferments." That is actually not true, for one thing not all lees are dead yeast cells. Moreover, just because lees are present in the wine does not mean that the wine is fermented, for juice also has lees (see There’s no avoiding dealing with lees). As a matter of fact, you can actually get organic grape juice that has the lees settled on the bottom. Moreover, the wines on the lees in Isaiah 25:6 was well refined. That means God had taken all the unwanted rubbish out.

First you argue it is "organic grape juice" with such material, but then you argue for filtering. But of course, they don't have refrigeration so that organic grape juice on the lees is going to ferment.

The wine God is going to serve is not like the mixed wine of Proverbs 23 (the mixed wine of Proverbs 23 is the wine that is mixed with the yeast that results in fermentation or ‘movement’ as the Bible describes it).

Once again you ignore the stated problem, of excess:

Pro 23:29 Who has woe? Who has sorrow? Who has strife? Who has complaining? Who has wounds without cause? Who has redness of eyes?
Pro 23:30 Those who tarry long over wine; those who go to try mixed wine.
Pro 23:31 Do not look at wine when it is red, when it sparkles in the cup and goes down smoothly.

The one described is tarrying long over wine. The issue is the contemplating of the appearance, going down smoothly, etc. is indicating drinking for the sake of it. Hence the LXX renders this simply: Be not drunk with wine μὴ μεθύσκεσθε οἴνῳ

But Jesus was not opposed to the process of fermentation. And it was such a familiar process that He used it in a parable, which you did not explain when it was mentioned to you previously.

Mat 9:17 Neither is new wine put into old wineskins. If it is, the skins burst and the wine is spilled and the skins are destroyed. But new wine is put into fresh wineskins, and so both are preserved.

Note also the text makes plain how to designate when it is "new wine", ie. grape juice.

Nor did you address the evidence of the nazarite separating himself for a time from the various items which shows that it is not just talking about grape juice, because wine and strong drink are listed along with grape juice

Num 6:3 he shall separate himself from wine (yayin) and strong drink (shekar). He shall drink no vinegar made from wine or strong drink and shall not drink any juice (mishrah) of grapes or eat grapes, fresh or dried.

Nor did you address why the requirement for a deacon is not abstinence but rather to not be addicted to much wine.

1Ti 3:8 Deacons likewise must be dignified, not double-tongued, not addicted to much wine, not greedy for dishonest gain.

Nor did you address why the priest is only prohibited when going into the sanctuary:

Lev 10:9 “Drink no wine or strong drink, you or your sons with you, when you go into the tent of meeting, lest you die. It shall be a statute forever throughout your generations.

The historical facts are obvious. They drank fermented wine, because they didn't have an easy way to preserve grape juice. But they were cautioned against drunkenness.

As to sober, again I noted the usage. It is not just talking about drinking. And it could not be since you already acknowledged Timothy wouldn't pass the test of no drinking once he took Paul's advice.

It is talking about being alert and prepared.

1Pe 5:8 Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour:

And compare:

2Ti 4:5 But watch thou in all things, endure afflictions, do the work of an evangelist, make full proof of thy ministry.

You did not address how "watch thou in all things" is the same word. It is talking about watching and being prepared, just as the other text was.

For your argument of total abstinence to hold up you must address every one of these texts, several of which you have not even tried. Because even one text indicating approval of drinking would sink your view.

But you actually already admitted one, in the case of Timothy.

You are free to hold whatever position you want about drinking. However, you are not at liberty to just re-invent the text. And that is clearly what you are doing when the texts talk about wine and strong drink and you acknowledge that is what they are in the passages which speak of drunkenness, and then deny it in any other passage, even when it is clear it cannot just be juice. In the listing in Numbers 6 it is clear that wine and strong drink are listed along with juice, so they are not the same.

And you are also not at liberty to just make up the position of other people so you can condemn them. No one in this thread has defended a lot of drinking, or social drinking. They have just indicated what the Bible says, that it is drunkenness, not all drinking, that is prohibited. A little wine with food is not sinful or Timothy would not have been told to do so.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Taodeching
Upvote 0

AdamjEdgar

Apr 11, 2021
Melbourne
✟17,432.00
Country
Australia
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Firstly, I am a seventh Day Adventist (an SDA ministers son actually)
Do i believe that it is forbidden to drink alcohol socially? Absolutely 100% forbidden to all Christians.

God has given us very important guides on ensuring that we treat our bodies as the temple of the Holy Spirit. Can someone consuming a drug (alcohol is 100% a drug and that is a fact) for social purposes honestly say that God would do this? How can we glorify God when running through our veins is a drug that dulls the senses and makes people say and do things that are not coming from a sound mind? It is foolishness to think that a small quantity of alcohol does not affect our thinking!

Now for the personal reason...
As an 18/19 year old, I have picked my late step grandmother up out of the gutter when she fell down into it trying to get into a motor vehicle because she was blind drunk.,

I have had to split up a drunken fight between my grandfather and my step grandmothers cousin over $10 worth of prawns (no i do not eat prawns)

I have worked as a security guard in pubs and clubs and what i have seen people do in those places as a result of blurred judgement caused by even small quantities of alcohol reaffirms that there is no such thing as drinking in moderation!

those are my reasons for my belief...no amount of floundering with bible texts will change my mind about the reality of the warnings given to us in the bible about alcohol.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

SabbathBlessings

Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2020
USA
✟478,113.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Do i believe that it is forbidden to drink alcohol socially? Absolutely 100% forbidden to all Christians.

God has given us very important guides on ensuring that we treat our bodies as the temple of the Holy Spirit. Can someone consuming a drug (alcohol is 100% a drug and that is a fact) for social purposes honestly say that God would do this? How can we glorify God when running through our veins is a drug that dulls the senses and makes people say and do things that are not coming from a sound mind? It is foolishness to think that a small quantity of alcohol does not affect our thinking!

As an 18/19 year old, I have picked up my late step grandmother of mine out of the gutter when she fell down into it trying to get into a motor vehicle because she was blind drunk.,

I have had to split up a drunken fight between my grandfather and my step grandmothers cousin over $10 worth of prawns (no i do not eat prawns)

I have worked as a security guard in pubs and clubs and what i have seen people do in those places as a result of blurred judgement caused by even small quantities of alcohol reaffirms that there is no such thing as drinking in moderation!

those are my reasons for my belief...no amount of floundering with bible texts will change my mind about the reality of the warnings given to us in the bible about alcohol.
Welcome Adam to the CF forums. I agree with you, our bodies are the temple of the Holy Spirit and we need to be careful how we treat our bodies.

Romans 14: 21 It is good neither to eat meat nor drink wine nor do anything by which your brother stumbles or is offended or is made weak.

• Agree
Reactions: Freth
Upvote 0

tall73

Sophia7's husband
Site Supporter
Sep 23, 2005
Visit site
✟875,252.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
@imge

As an 18/19 year old, I have picked my late step grandmother up out of the gutter when she fell down into it trying to get into a motor vehicle because she was blind drunk.,

those are my reasons for my belief.

Welcome to the forum.

As has already been stated, people are not advocating for social drinking as we see in the modern sense. And I noted I do not think anyone should drink alcohol given its dangerous effects. I listed my experience as well in handling auto accident claims, referenced statistics on sexual assault, noted the damage caused to the liver by drinking heavily, etc. to show that the biblical warnings against the harmful and deceptive nature of alcohol are important.

I have pastored in two areas, one rural and one urban, where we had severe addiction issues with alcohol and drugs in the community. I was an Adventist pastor in the one case, and a non-Adventist pastor in the other. We were blessed to have Christian based recovery groups in both settings to help people live for Christ instead of drugs or alcohol. In the case of the urban area the entire neighborhood was struggling with poverty, addiction, violent and non-violent crime, human trafficking ,etc. Anyone who wants to see the effect of alcohol abuse can visit such areas and observe it.

When we have clean water, and more fitting medicinal options, and we have refrigeration to preserve grape juice, etc. we need not drink alcohol. And I mentioned earlier that some cannot consume any alcohol without problems. For these reasons I stated already, I see no reason anyone would need to drink at all today, and I advise people such.

However, this I cannot agree with:

..no amount of floundering with bible texts will change my mind about the reality of the warnings given to us in the bible about alcohol.

The warnings against drunkenness are there, and should be heeded. But it is not "floundering" with Bible texts to see what the Bible says. And we are not to test by our experience, but by the Scriptures. The Scriptures condemn drunkenness. They do not condemn any drinking of alcohol.

Numbers 6 makes plain that the Nazirite would separate from a whole range of things related to grapes. And wine/strong drink are listed along with grape juice, indicating that grape juice is not the same as wine/strong drink in this text. Once the vow of separation was over the person would go back to drinking wine, the text looking at the vow tells us.

Num 6:3 he shall separate himself from wine (yayin) and strong drink (shekar). He shall drink no vinegar made from wine or strong drink and shall not drink any juice (mishrah) of grapes or eat grapes, fresh or dried.

So while I think no one needs to drink, and caution against it, and try to help those overtaken by it, I am not able to say the Bible condemns all drinking, because it does not. It condemns drunkenness, addiction to much wine, alcohol in some settings, etc.

And that also means if someone drinks occasionally but without becoming drunk, and without addiction, I will not condemn them, because the Bible does not condemn them.

Now Imge noted the text from Romans 14 about not eating meat or drinking if it would cause a brother to sin. In the Sabbath thread BobRyan (Adventist poster) noted that the issue is likely food sacrificed to idols as it talks about a brother who is weak eating only vegetables, but another who eats all things.

I agree with Bob that is the likely context for the discussion of eating. And it would apply to wine that could also have been dedicated to pagan gods which Paul says are really demons.

Whether you think it was talking about that issue, or a different one, he makes plain that neither should judge each other. But then he also goes on to talk about not causing your weaker brother to stumble.

So you would not want to eat food that could have potentially been sacrificed to idols in front of someone who thought it was sinful. And he applies to same to wine, likely for the same reason.

However, that shows the point. It is not wrong in the Bible to drink wine. But if drinking it causes your brother to stumble, then don't do it. And so if I knew a church member drank on occasion but without drunkenness I would certainly say to not cause one of the people in our recovery group to stumble by drinking around them. Even though in our context we are not dealing with food or wine sacrificed to idols, the overall principle still applies of not causing someone to stumble.

So let's look at an example from life. One of the pastors who mentored me in the Adventist church discussed when he went to visit a member, and walked around to his back yard where he found the man drinking alcohol. After talking to him it was clear the man was not drunk, and did not drink often, and did not get drunk when he drank.

Now Adventists take a vow to uphold the 28 fundamental beliefs (except in churches that have done away with confirming this, ie, liberal churches) which includes abstinence from alcohol, drugs, etc. So the pastor appealed to the man to stop drinking, which the man agreed to. And since he had taken that oath, that is right.

However, if we were testing it by Scripture, with no such oath having been taken, we would see that he would not be condemned. He was not drunk, not addicted to much wine, nor was he around others who might stumble, but was in his own secluded back yard.

Now if you want to take an oath not to drink at all, and urge others to do so, I support you, and I do the same. However, if you want to say the Bible condemns all drinking, then I cannot do that because the texts do not indicate that. But they do warn against drunkenness.

Upvote 0

RBPerry

Christian Baby Boomer
Site Supporter
Oct 14, 2013
Northern California
✟86,295.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Tall73, your comments and opinion on drinking are some of the most common sense opinions I have read on this thread.

However I have heard people take the "do not cause your brother to stumble" to extremes. I have taught and been involved in celebrate recover for many years. It is true that alcoholism destroys peoples lives, no question, I have seen it over and over again. Addictions can be terribly hard for some people to overcome, and the reality is if they aren't motivated to recover, they will not.

1 Cor 10:13 is a good example of the fact that we can not blame others for our own weaknesses. I agree that we don't offer an alcoholic alcohol, but the fact that I might drink in moderation can not be used as an argument that I'm causing others to stumble.

The arguments against drinking alcohol in moderation or eating meats are nothing but man made rules by groups like the Adventist. All this started during the great awakening and then the holiness movement. Personally I think the third great awakening was a curse more that a positive movement, it just divided up the protestant people into numerous denominations, based on false prophets.

Upvote 0

AdamjEdgar

Apr 11, 2021
Melbourne
✟17,432.00
Country
Australia
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
I cant help at this time but quote king Solomon...

Proverbs 31:4It is not for kings, O Lemuel,
it is not for kings to drink wine,
or for rulers to crave strong drink,5lest they drink and forget what is decreed,
depriving all the oppressed of justice.6Give strong drink to one who is perishing,
and wine to the bitter in soul.7Let him drink and forget his poverty,
and remember his misery no more."

Are we not kings according to the scriptures? Does not a king set an example whereby he expects his people should follow? (Jesus certainly did this during his ministry on earth did he not? ie live a life of service to others etc)

Proverbs 20:1Wine is a mocker, strong drink is a brawler, and whoever is led astray by them is not wise."

If these verses are not classic biblical teachings about the foolishness of drinking alcohol..?

Also food for thought for those who deny that it is unbiblical for drinking alcohol i pose this thought...

What is fermentation?
What causes it?
Did this process take place in the Garden of Eden prior to the fall of man?
What are the effects of consuming alcohol even in small quantities on the mind?
Are biblical themes on how to treat our bodies usually consistent with what God considers is best practice in life?

After honestly researching and answering the above questions, if one believes their conscience is still clear with the idea that it is ok to consume any alcohol either privately or socially (there is no difference between the two actually...God AND the Devil are still present by our sides in both cases), and one can honestly say that the Devil is not sitting along side your person laughing at God sitting on the other...then might i suggest you take a long hard look in the mirror and start to be more honest with yourself and God. The still small voice that spoke to Elijah in the mouth of the cave in 1 Kings Ch 19 is not being heard because of the poison running within your veins!

One other parting thought...
do a google search for the Baltic god Rugutis

Then come back here an honestly attempt to argue there is absolutely no issue at all (not even the slightest one) with drinking alcohol from a Christian perspective. Might i also remind you, dont forget Ananias and Saphira and the ultimate consequences for lying to the Holy Spirit!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

tall73

Sophia7's husband
Site Supporter
Sep 23, 2005
Visit site
✟875,252.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Proverbs 31:4It is not for kings, O Lemuel,
it is not for kings to drink wine,
or for rulers to crave strong drink,5lest they drink and forget what is decreed,
depriving all the oppressed of justice.6Give strong drink to one who is perishing,
and wine to the bitter in soul.7Let him drink and forget his poverty,
and remember his misery no more."

Are we not kings according to the scriptures? Does not a king set an example whereby he expects his people should follow? (Jesus certainly did this during his ministry on earth did he not? ie live a life of service to others etc)

As I stated, if you want to urge abstinence feel free. I do as well. But you still have to explain the texts presented if you want to claim the Bible forbids alcohol.

Proverbs 20:1Wine is a mocker, strong drink is a brawler, and whoever is led astray by them is not wise."

If these verses are not classic biblical teachings about the foolishness of drinking alcohol..?

They are warnings not to be led astray by it, agreed.

After honestly researching and answering the above questions, if one believes their conscience is still clear with the idea that it is ok to consume any alcohol either privately or socially (there is no difference between the two actually...God AND the Devil are still present by our sides in both cases), and one can honestly say that the Devil is not sitting along side your person laughing at God sitting on the other...then might i suggest you take a long hard look in the mirror and start to be more honest with yourself and God. The still small voice that spoke to Elijah in the mouth of the cave in 1 Kings Ch 19 is not being heard because of the poison running within your veins!

You need to explain the texts rather than making up interesting scenarios about what you think the devil is doing. You can start with this one.

Numbers 6 makes plain that the Nazirite would separate from a whole range of things related to grapes. And wine/strong drink are listed along with grape juice, indicating that grape juice is not the same as wine/strong drink in this text. Once the vow of separation was over the person would go back to drinking wine.

One other parting thought...
do a google search for the Baltic god Rugutis

Then come back here an honestly attempt to argue there is absolutely no issue at all (not even the slightest one) with drinking alcohol from a Christian perspective.

No, I don't go looking up information on false gods to determine what God's word says.

Upvote 0

RBPerry

Christian Baby Boomer
Site Supporter
Oct 14, 2013
Northern California
✟86,295.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives

What is fermentation?
What causes it?
Did this process take place in the Garden of Eden prior to the fall of man?
What are the effects of consuming alcohol even in small quantities on the mind?
Are biblical themes on how to treat our bodies usually consistent with what God considers is best practice in life?

After honestly researching and answering the above questions, if one believes their conscience is still clear with the idea that it is ok to consume any alcohol either privately or socially

What is firmentation, well here it is.
Fermentation is a metabolic process that produces chemical changes in organic substrates through the action of enzymes. In biochemistry, it is narrowly defined as the extraction of energy from carbohydrates in the absence of oxygen

Did it take place in the garden of Eden, have no idea, wasn't there and neither were you.

Effects of consuming alcohol. it can be a sedative, it is good for the digestive system. Taken with a meal helps to break down the solids. It is enjoyable to many.

As for the brain during the early stages of drinking, your brain releases more dopamine. This chemical is linked with pleasure. During euphoria, you may feel relaxed and confident.

My attitude is since Jesus turned the water into wine, I'm ok with drinking in moderation. I'm not ok with over indulgence. Most of the arguments against drinking in moderation are foolish to say the least.

The consumption of alcohol was never a issue within the Christian church until the holiness movement started, and they decided to rewrite the rules.

Upvote 0

RBPerry

Christian Baby Boomer
Site Supporter
Oct 14, 2013
Northern California
✟86,295.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
By the way, your proverbs reference, who are going to believe Solomon or Jesus. You see you have a conflict here. Jesus said it isn't what goes into the mouth that defiles a man, but what comes out.
Did Solomon pen all of proverbs, I don't think so, it is a collection of sayings and wisdom, it isn't law.

Upvote 0

The Liturgist

Traditional Liturgical Christian
Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟472,111.00
Country
United States
Faith
Generic Orthodox Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
It's certainly possible to have a glass of wine or a beer with food (key thing, slows down absorption) enjoy it, but not have it get you drunk.
When people talk about drinking "in moderation" that is what it SHOULD mean, that you're a person who, on occasion (not every day or even holding to a regular pattern) has an alcoholic beverage, maybe two over the course of multiple hours, socially, without getting intoxicated.

If someone is drinking enough to get intoxicated, that's not moderation. That's excess, that is alcohol abuse. That's being a drunkard.
But our world twists it and makes it think like drinking 4-5 beers in a row on an empty stomach twice a week is "moderation" because at least it's not every day, or at least they're not drinking to the point of puking, that's a college student's definition of "moderation" and it's absolutely not moderation at all.

Indeed, that’s a good way to blow up your liver, setting aside the considerable social and psychological harm of alcohol abuse.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

RBPerry

Christian Baby Boomer
Site Supporter
Oct 14, 2013
Northern California
✟86,295.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Indeed, that’s a good way to blow up your liver, setting aside the considerable social and psychological harm of alcohol abuse.

There is no argument that alcohol abuse is harmful, but in moderation it isn't. One must decide at what level abuse occurs. A glass of wine with dinner certainly isn't abuse and does and actually has benefits.
How damaging is obesity to the body? Actually it is much worse than moderate consumption of alcohol.

Let's look at the real effects of alcohol with moderate consumption. The idea that moderate drinking protects against cardiovascular disease makes sense biologically and scientifically. Moderate amounts of alcohol raise levels of high-density lipoprotein (HDL, or “good” cholesterol), and higher HDL levels are associated with greater protection against heart disease. Moderate alcohol consumption has also been linked with beneficial changes ranging from better sensitivity to insulin to improvements in factors that influence blood clotting, such as tissue type plasminogen activator, fibrinogen, clotting factor VII, and von Willebrand factor.

What is considered moderate consumption? One drink per day for women, two for men. For instance beer would be two twelve ounce glasses of beer, or ten ounces of wine. Consuming more than that the positive effects are out weighed by the negative effects. My personal opinion is no alcohol should be consumed if a person is going to need to drive. I'm totally opposed to after work happy hour at bars for several reasons that I won't go into.
Also if guests in a persons home are bothered by alcohol or have a weakness in that area one shouldn't drink.

• Agree
Reactions: The Liturgist
Upvote 0

The Liturgist

Traditional Liturgical Christian
Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟472,111.00
Country
United States
Faith
Generic Orthodox Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
There is no argument that alcohol abuse is harmful, but in moderation it isn't. One must decide at what level abuse occurs. A glass of wine with dinner certainly isn't abuse and does and actually has benefits.
How damaging is obesity to the body? Actually it is much worse than moderate consumption of alcohol.

Let's look at the real effects of alcohol with moderate consumption. The idea that moderate drinking protects against cardiovascular disease makes sense biologically and scientifically. Moderate amounts of alcohol raise levels of high-density lipoprotein (HDL, or “good” cholesterol), and higher HDL levels are associated with greater protection against heart disease. Moderate alcohol consumption has also been linked with beneficial changes ranging from better sensitivity to insulin to improvements in factors that influence blood clotting, such as tissue type plasminogen activator, fibrinogen, clotting factor VII, and von Willebrand factor.

What is considered moderate consumption? One drink per day for women, two for men. For instance beer would be two twelve ounce glasses of beer, or ten ounces of wine. Consuming more than that the positive effects are out weighed by the negative effects. My personal opinion is no alcohol should be consumed if a person is going to need to drive. I'm totally opposed to after work happy hour at bars for several reasons that I won't go into.
Also if guests in a persons home are bothered by alcohol or have a weakness in that area one shouldn't drink.

Indeed, I agree with your view. I myself like to have certain gourmet Belgian beers with steamed mussels and fries with mayonaise in the Flemish tradition; I love the Trappist ales (which are as potent as wine) and the sweet fruit flavored Lambic ales which are naturally fermented by airborne yeasts in the region of Brussels. There are several other delicious varieties of Belgian beer. I will also take a mimosa if having brunch, but only one, and following dinner, I sometimes will have a single glass of a desert wine such as cream sherry or amontillado, or a champagne cocktail called a kir royale.

Otherwise, I avoid alcohol, because it gives me a headache under other circumstances; I have never actually been drunk in my life; in the 90s, I once partied like it was 1999 and got “buzzed” by various cocktails my friends had me try, but I didn’t like the experience and stopped drinking as I felt a loss of control. I am glad about this because otherwise I think I would have experienced a hangover, which I am thankful to have not suffered.

Lately I’ve been having headaches due to an intermittent sinus blockage prompting me to use tylenol a few times a week, and as a safety precaution I am not drinking anything until it is rectified (I am seeing an ear, nose and throat doctor in the coming weeks to address the problem). There isn’t a history of liver disease in my family, but also my family generally is not known on either my maternal or paternal side for drinking.

Reactions: RBPerry
Upvote 0

bbbbbbb

Jun 9, 2015
✟366,892.00
Faith
Non-Denom
As an aside, I will mention my mother's cousin who just passed away last year two days shy of her 104th birthday. After dinner every night she would have a small glass of wine. Given the fact that she outlived her sister, who did not drink. by ten years it seems that wine in moderation is not such a bad thing.

Reactions: Taodeching
Upvote 0