Michigan
✟46,637.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
My wife and I did a wine tour in NY state a few years ago, sure has some good samples, and as I remember the Merlot was my favorite :D

I think we finished up the last bottle of wine 2 years later but we kind of made it last and drank it on speical occasions only.

With the price of gas what is now I don't know if we will ever see NY state again
icon9.gif

Upvote 0

RedneckAnglican

Once again...the Outsyder...
Feb 5, 2005
San Antonio, Texas
Visit site
✟20,899.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
good morning folks...just now having my coffee...I'm not a big wine person...although I used to make a pretty good mead...been a while...I wonder if I still have all of the stuff here?...maybe I'll take a look around...

Upvote 0

Flipper

Flippant Dolphin
Feb 19, 2003
✟12,928.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Not long after we started dating, we got invited to join a wine tasting club by one of Adam's collegues who became a dear friend. It was so intimidating the first time because it was full of doctors and other people like that - we thought it was going to be stuffy. It ended up being a great time. Our "meetings" would be at the Women's Club on Lindel (for those familiar with St. Louis) in the beginning and at the end they were at the New Cathedral. We would sit at a table of 10 and "taste" at least 10 bottles of wine. Plenty of bread, cheese and fruit would be served. One of the members was a chef, so sometimes he would prepare a multicourse feast, or a buffet.

He would usually invite us to his condo before and after the tasting for "drinks" - like we needed them (hey, he was RCC through and through). He was also a little kid trapped in a grandfather's body. He kept a potato gun there. One night after a 12 bottle, 8 people at the table tasting (and a tipsy Flipper, and our friend's wife) we went to his condo and he decided to show us how the potato gun worked. We took an apple and each of us had a role. Mine was to use the hairspray, I guess, to get the spark for it to shoot. We saw that apple shoot clear over the dome of the Cathedral! Then he said that's the cue to turn all the lights off and hide. The real funny thing was the next day we're telling my dad this story, thinking he would just shake his head at us, and he instead told us that he has plans for a potato gun if we want to build one. Um, thanks Dad. I think we'll pass this time.

Sadly our friend developed prostate cancer and died about 3 years ago. Lovely service - filled the sanctuary at the New Cathedral (speaking of which, the next time you all come to STL, we should go there - it's beautiful!). If there was such a thing as a "Wineaux for Jesus" he'd be the president. He loved Jesus only slightly more than he loved wine. I guess he also loved minor vandalism (never found out if the apple hit anything - hopefully it didn't). We were just shocked to find that he was 63 when he died. Brilliant pharmacist, and expert troublemker, he also was.

Whenever I say that Adam has a very high tolerance, no one believe me, but these nights were proof of that fact. He usually had to carry me home and he was just fine!!

Also, it was this group that taught us how to love wine, not to mention a little bit about the different kinds, different fermenting processes, etc. Unfortunately the founding members of the group also passed away and the group is no more. We've never found a group as informative, and as fun. We still go to tastings, with different wine shoppes, etc., but it was never the same. :(

I love to run into a wine that we would taste at one of those nights.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Flipper

Flippant Dolphin
Feb 19, 2003
✟12,928.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
good morning folks...just now having my coffee...I'm not a big wine person...although I used to make a pretty good mead...been a while...I wonder if I still have all of the stuff here?...maybe I'll take a look around...

Good morning! Homemade beer sounds like too much work!! I bet it's rewarding when you have the final product.

Still can't do coffee. :sick:

Love Tea.

Upvote 0

LilLamb219

The Lamb is gone
Site Supporter
Jun 2, 2005
Visit site
✟83,596.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Upvote 0

Phoebe

TwoBrickShyOfAFullLoad
Aug 22, 2002
Iowa
Visit site
✟19,524.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Felicia, you'll have to go to the Amana Colonies someday. It's the German village is Eastern Iowa. They make their own wine. Adam would love the food.

I should have opened the bottle of home- made wine that we have. It was madeby a friend of ours that passed away several years ago. (brain tumor) He gave it to us for Mark's 40th birthday. It's strawberry- rhubarb. The next time you visit, bring a cork-screw. We don't have one. :) Wanna come back in September? ;)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Flipper

Flippant Dolphin
Feb 19, 2003
✟12,928.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
We drove by the Amana Colonies on our way back on one of our trips to your house. I don't think we stopped, but we talked about it.

15 year old Strawberry-rhubarb wine? Where did you keep it? I hate to tell you this, but chances are it's probably vinegar now. I'm sorry. :(

Is it hot in September?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Phoebe

TwoBrickShyOfAFullLoad
Aug 22, 2002
Iowa
Visit site
✟19,524.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
September isn't nearly so warm. Usually.
The wine was kept on the back porch. It's probably nasty, but we could give it a smell. (hot/cold/hot/cold...)

That kitten lets me handle it. I named her (?) SpongeBob Squarecat. I need to find a home for her soon.
Anybody want a cat? She's a short hair, tortoise-shell calico. I found her shut inside a van at the salvage yard. I think it's about five months old. I could Fed-Ex it. ;)

Upvote 0

latebloomer

An Autumn Lutheran Rose
May 4, 2007
Iowa
✟9,125.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
If it's a calico or tortoiseshell, it's a 99.9999% chance it's female. I'd love to take her, but we're not allowed to have any new pets for another year yet. Sigh.... My kitty girls are sweet, but Tiger would love to have a pet that will play with him. The girls aren't very sociable.

Upvote 0

MarkRohfrietsch

Unapologetic Apologist
Site Supporter
Dec 8, 2007
✟829,422.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
15 year old Strawberry-rhubarb wine? Where did you keep it? I hate to tell you this, but chances are it's probably vinegar now. I'm sorry. :(

When ever I have wine that has gone a little off I use a device made from a De Laval stainless steel milker pail that sits on the kitchen stove; and make schnapps.

Upvote 0

Radiata

You don’t need a reason to help people.
May 30, 2007
The Place We Knew...
✟19,750.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
*emerges out of cave*
Hi everyone :wave:
*retreats into cave to study Histology*
Histology. I feel sorry for you. I'm going into nuclear medicine.

Hey, what kind of cave drawings do you see in there?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Melethiel

Miserere mei, Domine
Site Supporter
Jun 8, 2005
Ohio
✟77,093.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Histology. I feel sorry for you. I'm going into nuclear medicine.

Hey, what kind of cave drawings do you see in there?
At the moment, the cave drawings are the major arteries or nerves of the upper arm and axilla, and diagrams of the brachial plexus. I'm sure they'll change as we progress.

Upvote 0

LilLamb219

The Lamb is gone
Site Supporter
Jun 2, 2005
Visit site
✟83,596.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
INNOCENCE IS PRICELESS
One Sunday morning, the pastor noticed little Alex standing in
the foyer of the church staring up at a large plaque. It was covered with names and small American flags mounted on either side of it. The six-year old had been staring at the plaque for some time, so the pastor walked up, stood beside the little boy, and said quietly, 'Good morning Alex.'
'Good morning Pastor,' he replied, still focused on the
plaque. 'Pastor, what is this?'
The pastor said, 'Well son, it's a memorial to all the young men and women who died in the service.' Soberly, they just stood together, staring at the large plaque. Finally, little Alex's voice, barely audible and trembling with fear asked, 'Which service, the 8:30 or the 10:45?'
download

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.