Iowa
✟9,888.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Oh the Olympics have been SO exciting- I am looking forward to watching the women's gymnastics tonite- sure hope our gals can take home a gold! Anyone see the men compete last night? Wow- nobody gave them a chance and they took a bronze! :clap: At one point they were even ahead of China in points. I just love these Olympic stories....And I'm not usually a sports fan.

Upvote 0

LutheranMafia

Jan 9, 2008
✟2,937.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
I just love these Olympic stories....And I'm not usually a sports fan.
My mother use to watch the winter Olympics and so the ice skating that was her favorite always made me think of gender wars gone bad...!

However... My friend was watching the mens' swimming competition while I was dithering on the computer and I was suddenly struck. I could just tell that something was going on, perhaps it was just my friend’s body language, but suddenly I was totally focused on the TV, which is rare. When Phelps won I felt an extraordinary sense of exuberance, I hate sports unless I feel some visceral connection, and suddenly I felt this rare rush for me. NASA space-age swim suites and ex-Soviet coaches that Russia can no longer afford after grooming so long… It is a sweet revenge! A very passive and non-violent triumph!! The Olympics truly are a measure of National will and fortitude.

Upvote 0

filosofer

Senior Veteran
Feb 8, 2002
Visit site
✟6,913.00
Faith
Lutheran

I have had the privilege of watching on TV the Olympics every year (summer and winter, except 1976 winter) since 1960.

I remember how amazing it was to watch Mark Spitz set those records. And now to see it again with Phelps is also amazing.

Sometimes it would be good to focus on a few other athletes in their special pieces, though.

Upvote 0

WildStrawberry

It's almost time....
Mar 25, 2005
Southwestern Ohio
✟11,160.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Sometimes it would be good to focus on a few other athletes in their special pieces, though.

I agree. I felt badly for the team last night when the reporter asked them questions...2 second answers for everyone BUT Phelps.

I love him though. He's such a nice guy (from what I've heard) and is an amazing swimmer. Ahh to swim like that. *G*

Kae

Upvote 0

Phoebe

TwoBrickShyOfAFullLoad
Aug 22, 2002
Iowa
Visit site
✟19,524.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Nastia and Shawn came through, the girls made history. I'm hoping Shawn gets a gold on beam or floor, or both.

Phelps is really cleaning up! I like diving also.
I'm waiting to see LoLo Jones in track. She's from Iowa, too. (Roosevelt H.S.- Des Moines.)

My dad made it to worlds/trials back in '51 or '52. He placed 10th in rifle competition. (he didn't make the Olympics, as you probably guessed.) Back then, they had rifle competition in the high schools. I think he competed in small bore.

Upvote 0

WildStrawberry

It's almost time....
Mar 25, 2005
Southwestern Ohio
✟11,160.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I was in tears watching Nastia and Shawn last night. I'm so glad they over came the bad judging (I'm so sorry but Nastia's vault was TEXTBOOK perfect. The wee Chinese girl couldn't have touched Nastia if it weren't for bad judging.) and took the gold and silver.

I missed Phelps tonight! GAH! Mike was talking and talking and I went "what time is it??" 3 minutes past. PHOOEY!

Kae

Upvote 0

Phoebe

TwoBrickShyOfAFullLoad
Aug 22, 2002
Iowa
Visit site
✟19,524.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
The women's fencing team made history in saber, and it only got a tiny blip.

That was awesome!
I'm thrilled to see that some countries got first- time golds or medals. Finally!

The concert was good last night. (Def Leppard) I finally got a t- shirt. Three times seeing them perform should be enough.

I think I found a good community service project for my students. I came across it at the fair. www.heifer.org

Upvote 0

MarkRohfrietsch

Unapologetic Apologist
Site Supporter
Dec 8, 2007
✟829,083.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
I think I found a good community service project for my students. I came across it at the fair. www.heifer.org

Great project! When I saw the web address I thought it might have somthing to do with the red heifer mentioned in Scripture:p:D.

I think you students will get a lot out of it.

Mark

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

latebloomer

An Autumn Lutheran Rose
May 4, 2007
Iowa
✟9,125.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
What I learned on my vacation:

The peacocks still roam free at the Detroit zoo. So do the seagulls.
I learned to eat with chopsticks.
Chicago and Detroit traffic were not nearly as bad as I had feared. (I hate city driving.)
I missed the sight of corn fields!? I really am a country girl at heart.
Woody Woodpecker can get really annoying after listening to "hahahaha-ha" for a couple hundred miles. I was really glad Tiger decided to use the headphones. That DVD player was a sanity saver. Hubby bought Tiger a 3 disc set of Woody W. cartoons the first day, and Tiger ended up watching the first disc over and over the rest of the trip.
My nephew's new mother-in-law has a gorgeous yard. Wish mine looked that good.
Why did we bother packing any toys? All Tiger was interested in was the hotel pool.
Michigan is beautiful from the interstate. It must be fabulous in October.
That vacation wasn't nearly long enough. But it was worth it. The wedding was lovely. Handsome groom, beautiful bride, great music, wonderful food.

I've been home 2 weeks and am still trying to catch up. But I have a couple days of Home Alone. Hubby and Tiger decided to go visit Grandma & Grandpa for a couple days before school starts. Only a week to go. I can hardly wait.

Upvote 0

Jim47

Heaven Bound
Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2004
Michigan
✟46,637.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
What I learned on my vacation:

The peacocks still roam free at the Detroit zoo. So do the seagulls.
I learned to eat with chopsticks.
Chicago and Detroit traffic were not nearly as bad as I had feared. (I hate city driving.)
I missed the sight of corn fields!? I really am a country girl at heart.
Woody Woodpecker can get really annoying after listening to "hahahaha-ha" for a couple hundred miles. I was really glad Tiger decided to use the headphones. That DVD player was a sanity saver. Hubby bought Tiger a 3 disc set of Woody W. cartoons the first day, and Tiger ended up watching the first disc over and over the rest of the trip.
My nephew's new mother-in-law has a gorgeous yard. Wish mine looked that good.
Why did we bother packing any toys? All Tiger was interested in was the hotel pool.
Michigan is beautiful from the interstate. It must be fabulous in October.
That vacation wasn't nearly long enough. But it was worth it. The wedding was lovely. Handsome groom, beautiful bride, great music, wonderful food.

I've been home 2 weeks and am still trying to catch up. But I have a couple days of Home Alone. Hubby and Tiger decided to go visit Grandma & Grandpa for a couple days before school starts. Only a week to go. I can hardly wait.

It sounds like you had a nice vacation. I love Michigan too. If you want to see the most memorable fall colors you have to come about 2nd 0r 3rd week of Nov. and set out in the woods next to some oak trees and wait for the sun to go down. The brilliance of the sun passing thru the oak leaves makes you think they are dripping glowing blood. Its the most beautful color I've even seen. :)

Upvote 0

RadMan

Aug 22, 2007
Missouri
✟5,227.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Everyone around here always talks about northern Michigan, but I thought southern Michigan was very pretty. Green is one of my favorite colors. I just couldn't get over how many trees there are there. We don't have forests where I live.
Iowa's got the largest corn forests I've ever seen. :p

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.