• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.

Adding used tea leaves to flower bed?

Discussion in 'Gardening' started by tryphena rose, Jun 25, 2019.

1. tryphena rose

tryphena rose Daughter of the Most High

+201
    United States
    Christian
    Engaged
    US-Republican
    I've seen that adding tea leaves from used tea bags are good for both the soil and plants in gardens. What's your success rate with this? What types of tea do you use most? Have you seen an obvious benefits from it? I'd like to keep my plants as healthy and happy as possible, and I thought it was a good way to get some use out of the tea leaves instead of just throwing them in the trash.

We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. Occams Barber

Occams Barber Newbie Supporter

+1,876
    Australia
    Atheist
    Divorced

Tea leaves and coffee grounds are both good for the garden. I regularly empty my coffee pot on the garden bed.

This is a quote from this website:
    Used Coffee Grounds
    There are many ways to use coffee grounds in the garden. They can be used as mulch, they add a bit of nitrogen to the soil, they seem to attract worms, and can even deter slugs, although studies are ongoing about whether it is the abrasiveness of the grounds or the caffeine that does in the slugs.

Don't worry about the acidity of coffee affecting the soil's pH. Studies have shown that as the coffee decomposes, the pH neutralizes. A bigger concern is what happens when you apply a very thick layer of coffee on top of the soil, about 2 inches or more. As the coffee dries, it forms a crusty shell that does not allow water to pass through. Use your coffee grounds sparingly. Put the excess in the compost.
    Used Tea Leaves
    Sprinkle your used tea leaves around the base of acid-loving plants, including your tomatoes and roses. We've always known coffee grounds were good for plants, but tea leaves contain all the big three nutrients (NPK) as well as some trace minerals. Sprinkle the used leaves on the soil and gently scratch them in. Of course, you can also add tea leaves to your compost pile.

OB

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  3. ml5363

ml5363 Active Member

+206
    Christian
    Married
    My roses love coffee grounds

4. tryphena rose

tryphena rose Daughter of the Most High

+201
    United States
    Christian
    Engaged
    US-Republican
    Thank you OB! I appreciate the helpful link. :oldthumbsup:
    Thank you! I'd love to have some roses in the future, so maybe I can get some grounds from my local coffee shops since I unfortunately can't drink coffee. :sigh: