Birmingham
✟1,109.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
I cannot stop been materialistic, and I have a mental illness causing me to waste all my state pension on luxury things I cannot afford,i just cannot stop buying things and because of this I keep getting into debt and falling behind with my household bills and don't have enough money to buy much food to feed me and my son.We have just been living on cereal or beans on toast basically.Because of my obsession with spending in a hope of making myself feel better we haven't been able to eat properly in years.We haven't eaten fruit veg meat or fish for many years cause there isn't much left out of my state pension by the time I've had a good old spend.What can I do about my situation,this is getting me down and I suffer with mental health problems which are getting worse due to my uncontrollable desire to spend.

mukk_in

Yankees Fan
Site Supporter
Oct 13, 2009
Vellore, India
✟664,706.00
Country
India
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
I cannot stop been materialistic, and I have a mental illness causing me to waste all my state pension on luxury things I cannot afford,i just cannot stop buying things and because of this I keep getting into debt and falling behind with my household bills and don't have enough money to buy much food to feed me and my son.We have just been living on cereal or beans on toast basically.Because of my obsession with spending in a hope of making myself feel better we haven't been able to eat properly in years.We haven't eaten fruit veg meat or fish for many years cause there isn't much left out of my state pension by the time I've had a good old spend.What can I do about my situation,this is getting me down and I suffer with mental health problems which are getting worse due to my uncontrollable desire to spend.
Ask the Lord for deliverance sister. "If the Son sets you free, you'll be free indeed." I'll be praying for you.

Upvote 0

Aimz

member with autism
Site Supporter
Sep 22, 2017
TQ
✟50,794.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Do you have any family or friends or church you can explain the situation too and with their help come up with a budget stratedgy to manage your money better with regular chats to help accountability and to find out the source of the matter is so as to prevent triggers?

I am hopeless with money managment myself I rely heavily on my family to guide me and hold me accountable it took a while to admit I needed help and to accept it but I am doing much better now so it can be achieved!

Upvote 0

Dave G.

May 22, 2017
Sandiwich
✟324,779.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
I was looking for the part in your story where this problem you have with money management was stopping you from being a Christian. Because how it works with Jesus Christ is we come to Him in our broken down state to get built up. There are accounts after accounts in the bible where He specifically ministered to the down and out, the sick, the what ever you want to use for an expletive. Don't wait till you think you are good enough, He takes us as we are, the more broken we feel we are all the more compassion He has to help us.. You heard it, now it's time to turn to Him.

Upvote 0

Joy

May 21, 2004
B'ham
✟1,403,923.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Dear Hazel

Firstly, I am sorry you are suffering in this way.

I live in Uk and know there is a Group 'Christians against Poverty'. So look up their local telephone number and contact them. They will visit, advise and help you with the issues you are facing. So I trust you will contact them and I pray you will get the help you obviously need.

Upvote 0

tdidymas

Aug 28, 2014
Houston, TX
✟163,485.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican

It's good that you are crying out for help.

1. God is not one who stands far off with arms folded, saying "get your act together, then I might accept you." Rather, He is one who stands nearby with arms outstretched, saying "come to Me as you are." Jesus' death on the cross is the perfect sacrifice for the forgiveness of sins and to bring us to God, then the Holy Spirit of God comes to us and begins His holy work. We must first come to God in humility, then God heals us by bringing us out of sin - this is the Christian faith.

2. Seek help!! You are not alone, and many people can testify to you that God has brought them out of the same sorts of condition you are in.
Christians Against Poverty
Celebrate Recovery | A Christ centred, Bible based recovery programme
Seek the help of real live people whom God has delivered from addictions!!
TD:)

Upvote 0

Jonathan Leo

Dec 18, 2017
Cork
✟16,857.00
Country
Ireland
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
God let’s us live our lives be it for better or worse.
Unfortunately for you, yer trying to buy happiness but ultimately your buying your own misery.
As for your title, addictions don’t stop us from being a Christian, rather living a life for Christ stops addictions.
Prayers are with you

Upvote 0

Christie insb

Sep 3, 2015
Santa Barbara, California
✟60,196.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
So sorry you are having such a rough time. My friend who has a spending compulsion has her check sent to her adult son who - - I am not exactly sure what her arrangement with him is. Maybe he gets her bills paid and then gives her a portion of the check each week. I think there are people who do this for you. Do you have a case manager due to your mental illness? I don't mean to oversimplify what you go through but sometimes a simple solution can help manage it. ((hugs)).

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Kristen Davis

Dec 9, 2017
Alpharetta
✟11,497.00
Country
Georgia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Read James where it says your clothes will be motheaten and your jewlery will rust. This shows that the things of this world are not meant to last forever but your soul in Christ will.

Upvote 0

DreamerOfTheHeart

I Am What I Am
Jul 11, 2017
Houston
✟39,308.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Ask God for the Spirit, seek it, pray, fast, in secret. Your other option is to seek psychiatric medical help. You can do both.

Upvote 0

Mountainmanbob

Goat Whisperer
Site Supporter
Sep 6, 2016
✟1,096,353.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
God does ask of us to have Self Control.
I know -- easy said but -- we need to beleive -- He will help us with this and will help us to repent.
If truly wanted.
I ask often -- God please have mercy on me.
We all need it.
M-Bob

Upvote 0

Jonathan Leo

Dec 18, 2017
Cork
✟16,857.00
Country
Ireland
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Your addictions don’t stop you from being Christian, being a Christian should stop your addiction.
If God asked you to stop being materialistic would you?
If He said you have a choice of Me or matirials, which would you choose?

Not taking care of your own family is worse than being a none believer. You would rather have materials than feed your family good food when it’s in your power to do so?

I’m not picking on you but I’m not going to sugar coat my answer either. Imagine that you could die tomorrow and today you have one last chance to redeem the years of wrong doing. Are you going to treat your family to a fine banquet or buy a nice shinny casket?

Sin has no power over you and you are free because Jesus set you free. You have a choice and the power within you to pick the right choice.
Treat your family to good food woman and stop being materialistic. Simple as that

Ps. Having a need to go shopping for materials instead of food is not a mental illness, it’s a selfish ambition that your using to find happiness and joy. As a believer in Jesus and reading the Bible, you should know they can never satisfy the soul. Even into your later years since you have a pension, can you not see they still haven’t brought you happiness?
At least when you treat your kids you get a hug and a thank you. Worth diamonds in comparison to some ornament or handbag that’s dead, nothing, has no life in it.
Treat your kids, help the homeless, support a charity, give your possessions away. The less you have the happier you will get because people expect the more they have, the happier they become. It’s lies straight from the pits of hell.

When a man has nothing, anything he gets he is thankful and happy for it

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

GodIsAlwaysNear

Apr 13, 2018
Tampa Bay
✟19,483.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
AS GOD TO GUIDE YOU.

I suffered from alcohol addiction many years ago, and one drunken night the lord spoke to me. I was nearly passed out laying on the street near a 7-11 when I saw the light. (not literally)

I was in a drunken haze and I heard a voice. A voice from a man and his son walking past me. The father stopped with his son and asked me, "maam are you alright". Ignored it, I wanted them to go away. and he did. for 5 minutes. But he came back out of the 7-11 with food for me. and water. He took me home with his boy and gave me a place to shower for the night and a place to sleep.

In the morning I was hungover but I asked the man what I could possibly do to repay him. ( I thought he was going to want sex after he took his son to school)

But he handed me a bible and said mam, If you would just read this book from cover to cover it would make me the most happy man in the world.

So I did.

And jesus saved ME

Upvote 0

Jack L Palmer

Jun 15, 2018
Sacramento, CA
Visit site
✟18,188.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
You should really talk to someone that can help you set a budget and keep you accountable for it. I bet if you ask your pastor, there's probably resources he/she can point you to.

That being said, having a sin doesn't exclude you from being a Christian - that's not how it works.

Upvote 0