Utrecht
✟19,669.00
Country
Netherlands
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I just finished college and at the moment I'm sitting on the couch all day because I'm currently looking for a job, but haven't found one yet. At the same time I'm having a problem regarding self control, I've become addicted to video games and the internet (irony because I'm writing this on a web forum). I used to have it under control when I was still in college and on the job because I had to go to class or work so I couldn't spend time playing games or surfing. But now I'm literally at home all day and I can't stand the temptation. I don't track the actual amount of time I'm spending but I think it's somewhere between 3-6 hours a day, if not more.

I have noticed that the addiction is creating a wall in my relationship with God. I have difficulties reading my Bible because I want to get through it as soon as possible and I keep thinking about what I want to do next in my game.

How can I spend my current free time building my relationship with God, besides reading the Bible? I know that at this moment I need to cut down but I don't know in what kind of way I can use a few of those hours to build my relationship with God.

• Prayers
Reactions: Broken Fence

Gregorikos

Ordinary Mystic
Dec 31, 2019
Louisville, Kentucky
Visit site
✟113,638.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I just finished college and at the moment I'm sitting on the couch all day because I'm currently looking for a job, but haven't found one yet. At the same time I'm having a problem regarding self control, I've become addicted to video games and the internet (irony because I'm writing this on a web forum). I used to have it under control when I was still in college and on the job because I had to go to class or work so I couldn't spend time playing games or surfing. But now I'm literally at home all day and I can't stand the temptation. I don't track the actual amount of time I'm spending but I think it's somewhere between 3-6 hours a day, if not more.

I have noticed that the addiction is creating a wall in my relationship with God. I have difficulties reading my Bible because I want to get through it as soon as possible and I keep thinking about what I want to do next in my game.

How can I spend my current free time building my relationship with God, besides reading the Bible? I know that at this moment I need to cut down but I don't know in what kind of way I can use a few of those hours to build my relationship with God.
All I can say is cut down your screen time. Are you active in your local church? Do you have a church home?

Upvote 0

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟380,769.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
It's hard to do. You have make sure you're actually looking for a job when you're supposed to be looking for a job. If you drift, get up, do something physical, and come back. Easier said than done, but you've got to power through and get it done.

Upvote 0

Mountainmanbob

Goat Whisperer
Site Supporter
Sep 6, 2016
✟1,096,353.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I have noticed that the addiction is creating a wall in my relationship with God.

I have difficulties reading my Bible because I want to get through it as soon as possible and I keep thinking about what I want to do next in my game.

I've seen the same video wall in relationships. Best to get a fast handle on it unless you want to marry it -- leaving room for no others.

Nothing like the real thing.
M

Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟587,726.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
to build my relationship with God.
prayer for you . . .

Care in prayer about other people, too.

And be more interested in pleasing God, than in pleasing yourself with video stuff.

Yes, feed on God's word.

Upvote 0

Broken Fence

God with us!
Site Supporter
May 1, 2020
TX to New Heaven, New Earth, New Jerusalem
✟142,605.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
Well for me I made a commitment to God along time ago. That I would read at least one chapter a day in the bible. Devoting that time to really understanding what that chapter says.

I also pray once a day casting all my cares and worries to God. I hope this helps. God bless brother.

Upvote 0