• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Accepting BPD Diagnosis

Starnchrist

Queen_E Formerly Soldier <3
Jul 7, 2010
New York
✟12,690.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
I still find myself saying, "I can't be Bipolar." But what can I do? It explains a lot of things. All my life I had trouble figuring out my feelings. Now I have to learn to accept this new one. Here I am thinking it's just major depression, but then came other feelings and other situations, but I still don't feel like I'm understanding myself. I don't even understand the symptoms. Does anyone else have trouble accepting their diagnosis?

splish- splash

Team- Early Interventions
Dec 2, 2019
✟225,561.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
The Lord has equipped you with everything (His word is sharper than any 2 edged sword) you need to help overcome that bad report you know! You don't have to accept this report. Oh how I wish The Lord could Just come down & show you how... :pray:

Upvote 0

Salvadore

Feb 2, 2020
Nashville
✟40,831.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
My diagnosis helped me in a way, even though I am not a fan of labels. It has helped me forgive myself somewhat. Sometimes I am appalled by things I say and do, but I remind myself to try harder and think first.

Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟433,509.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
I still find myself saying, "I can't be Bipolar." But what can I do? It explains a lot of things. All my life I had trouble figuring out my feelings. Now I have to learn to accept this new one. Here I am thinking it's just major depression, but then came other feelings and other situations, but I still don't feel like I'm understanding myself. I don't even understand the symptoms. Does anyone else have trouble accepting their diagnosis?

My mother was bipolar....and I never forget how hard she worked to deal with it. It took her awhile to accept it, took awhile to find the right dr and right meds, took a lot of self awareness to figure out when they weren't working properly and needed a change.

It also was difficult for her to accept the help of those around her....her family and friends....especially when we told her she seemed off.

What is the hardest part of accepting the diagnosis or understanding the symptoms?

Reactions: Olivet
Upvote 0

Starnchrist

Jul 7, 2010
New York
✟12,690.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
My mother was bipolar....and I never forget how hard she worked to deal with it. It took her awhile to accept it, took awhile to find the right dr and right meds, took a lot of self awareness to figure out when they weren't working properly and needed a change.

It also was difficult for her to accept the help of those around her....her family and friends....especially when we told her she seemed off.

What is the hardest part of accepting the diagnosis or understanding the symptoms?

The hardest part is dealing with all the misunderstandings surrounding it. I’ve heard Bipolar people have bad reps. They are hard to deal with etc. When it comes to the symptoms I don’t understand what it means to be manic or not. I’m mostly depressed.

Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟433,509.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
The hardest part is dealing with all the misunderstandings surrounding it. I’ve heard Bipolar people have bad reps. They are hard to deal with etc.

Well that's part of the sad state of mental healthcare....there's a lot of misinformation and few people who are actively trying to correctly inform people.

My mother was bipolar as I've said....and while she certainly had times when she struggled with it, I can say without any reservation....that she was a wonderful mother, and wife, and a generally great person otherwise.

I think most people who knew her would describe her as pleasant, easy to laugh, and genuinely loving and compassionate. She worked at controlling the disorder...not letting it control her.

When it comes to the symptoms I don’t understand what it means to be manic or not. I’m mostly depressed.

It's not going to look exactly the same for everyone. Perhaps you fall closer to the Bipolar 2 disorder...

NIMH » Bipolar Disorder

• Bipolar II Disorder— defined by a pattern of depressive episodes and hypomanic episodes, but not the full-blown manic episodes that are typical of Bipolar I Disorder.
It's definitely something to talk to your doctor about. If I can emphasize anything though...it's that you shouldn't feel ashamed about this. It's not your fault, and you don't have to let it define you.

• Winner
Reactions: Macchiato
Upvote 0

Starnchrist

Jul 7, 2010
New York
✟12,690.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Well that's part of the sad state of mental healthcare....there's a lot of misinformation and few people who are actively trying to correctly inform people.

My mother was bipolar as I've said....and while she certainly had times when she struggled with it, I can say without any reservation....that she was a wonderful mother, and wife, and a generally great person otherwise.

I think most people who knew her would describe her as pleasant, easy to laugh, and genuinely loving and compassionate. She worked at controlling the disorder...not letting it control her.

It's not going to look exactly the same for everyone. Perhaps you fall closer to the Bipolar 2 disorder...

NIMH » Bipolar Disorder

• Bipolar II Disorder— defined by a pattern of depressive episodes and hypomanic episodes, but not the full-blown manic episodes that are typical of Bipolar I Disorder.
It's definitely something to talk to your doctor about. If I can emphasize anything though...it's that you shouldn't feel ashamed about this. It's not your fault, and you don't have to let it define you.

"It's not your fault and you don't have to let it define you." The best thing anyone's ever told me. Thank you.

Upvote 0

Samaritan Woman

Sep 2, 2013
Midwest
✟66,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I still find myself saying, "I can't be Bipolar." But what can I do?

I have been treating my bipolar disorder for nearly 25 years now and have learned quite a lot about managing it. For one thing, I would go off my meds (often cold-turkey) in the blind delusion that I was somehow cured of the disorder; then I'd go psychotic and get severely fearful and depressed. Also, after all these years I finally take full responsibility for managing my meds which means asking my psychiatrist plenty of questions and allowing him to educate me about them primarily with side effects and benefits. Millions of people deal with this and so can you in a successful way!

• Informative
Reactions: Olivet
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Apr 12, 2021
Hamilton
✟8,025.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Bipolar can be a imbalance in your brain however most of the time it is not it is simply that you need Deliverance in areas of your life where there has been trauma. Seek counsel of the Holy Spirit I challenge you to get up a half hour early and spend that time in prayer really seeking God and you will find that you can be free I am speaking from experience at one time they labeled me that as well but as I began seeking out the Lord and asking him to reveal to me the things that are causing me to feel this way the areas of my life where I need to forgive and let go I became free. The enemy tries to use it runs in my family however you are now in the family of Jesus and you have a new DNA you are now in the bloodline of Jesus and in that bloodline there is no bipolar
Check out
Isaiah Saldivar..

Upvote 0